Showa A kit Air vs. 2015 KXF/RMZ Air

Edited Date/Time 9/20/2014 6:59pm
does anyone know what difference there is between the Showa A kit Air forks and the stock Showa air forks on the '15 rmz and kxf 450s? One guy I talked to says a Kawi guy told him they are identical. But nobody I talk to thinks this is possible. so what is the difference?
|
TeamGreen
9/18/2014 4:34pm
does anyone know what difference there is between the Showa A kit Air forks and the stock Showa air forks on the '15 rmz and kxf...
does anyone know what difference there is between the Showa A kit Air forks and the stock Showa air forks on the '15 rmz and kxf 450s? One guy I talked to says a Kawi guy told him they are identical. But nobody I talk to thinks this is possible. so what is the difference?
Call Enzo....
Grizz
9/18/2014 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 8:42pm
They're both overrated. There's your answer.
mx317
9/18/2014 6:09pm
Grizz wrote:
You must be in the know. By the way, it's they're meaning they are.
Bruce372
9/18/2014 6:15pm
By the sounds of it, the production stuff is a very close copy. I am sure the works stuff has tighter tolerances and more billet vs the cast parts on the stock.

I am sure all the naysayers are the same that didn't want efi as well!

The Shop

Grizz
9/18/2014 6:44pm
Grizz wrote:
mx317 wrote:
You must be in the know. By the way, it's they're meaning they are.
Oops. And I own Air-forks. Not my thing.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/18/2014 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 7:47pm
The upper/ lower tubes, cartridge, dampening rod, dampening rod piston, and other miscellaneous bits are shared. The few major parts that are different are: Cast vs CNC parts, such as the axle brackets and top bits where the air valve inserts are. Also, the compression dampening piston is CNC (I believe out of Titanium) instead of cast. Really, they're very close. I'll be swinging by Showa next week, I'll see if I can get an even more precise list.
TeamGreen
9/18/2014 7:48pm
ML512 wrote:
The upper/ lower tubes, cartridge, dampening rod, dampening rod piston, and other miscellaneous bits are shared. The few major parts that are different are: Cast vs...
The upper/ lower tubes, cartridge, dampening rod, dampening rod piston, and other miscellaneous bits are shared. The few major parts that are different are: Cast vs CNC parts, such as the axle brackets and top bits where the air valve inserts are. Also, the compression dampening piston is CNC (I believe out of Titanium) instead of cast. Really, they're very close. I'll be swinging by Showa next week, I'll see if I can get an even more precise list.
Your comparing the Works forks to the Triple-Airs...identical internals...different materials...
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
9/18/2014 7:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 7:55pm
Thanks for the info to all you guys.

I never in all my days would have ever thought that works suspension would come stock on bikes. Sure there are a few differences, but from what I think ML512 said, it's just a couple of castings. that's awesome!

I haven't ridden the new air forks, but i can certainly appreciate that you young fast guys get to. . .

The improvements we have seen in so many things over the past ten years is amazing.

Thanks ML, send more info if you get it.

And thanks too Team Green

Peace
PS
slipdog
9/18/2014 8:58pm
ML512 wrote:
The upper/ lower tubes, cartridge, dampening rod, dampening rod piston, and other miscellaneous bits are shared. The few major parts that are different are: Cast vs...
The TAC's use a 12mm id cast compression piston, but the same port configuration as the A-kit. Other than that they are the same as far as I can tell.
nytsmaC
9/18/2014 9:17pm
They're similar to works forks the same way 99 RM forks wetr.
urbanlift707
9/18/2014 9:24pm
I had a guy on thumpertalk who wanted to trade me straight across for his A-kit spring forks for my rmz tac's. They were pro circuit ones, I called PC to get their take on this, the suspension tech said DO NOT even think about it. He told me the stock forks were in fact very close to the A-kit triple airs they sell, like others have stated. I was blown away!

I dunno if its the forks or the new frame or maybe both, I'm coming off a 12 rmz, but the 15 rmz is insane how much traction it has. This thing blows away my ,12 which I thought handled amazing. it'll turn inside of anything with ease. I let my friend ride it who has a 13 crf450, he said it's not even fair that I get to ride it against his bike.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/18/2014 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 9:50pm
ML512 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
The TAC's use a 12mm id cast compression piston, but the same port configuration as the A-kit. Other than that they are the same as far...
The TAC's use a 12mm id cast compression piston, but the same port configuration as the A-kit. Other than that they are the same as far as I can tell.
Sorry, as Manny pointed out, I was talking about the works stuff. Wrong subject! Laughing
slipdog
9/18/2014 10:46pm
ML512 wrote:
Sorry, as Manny pointed out, I was talking about the works stuff. Wrong subject! Laughing
I know it's rare to hear from Vital posters, but when it comes to works forks... I have no knowledge on the subject.Woohoo
TeamGreen
9/19/2014 11:46am
I wonder when someone is going t o come out and actually say that we 're actually getting a Production version of the Factory Triple-Airs...?
wow123
9/19/2014 6:52pm
I had a guy on thumpertalk who wanted to trade me straight across for his A-kit spring forks for my rmz tac's. They were pro circuit...
I had a guy on thumpertalk who wanted to trade me straight across for his A-kit spring forks for my rmz tac's. They were pro circuit ones, I called PC to get their take on this, the suspension tech said DO NOT even think about it. He told me the stock forks were in fact very close to the A-kit triple airs they sell, like others have stated. I was blown away!

I dunno if its the forks or the new frame or maybe both, I'm coming off a 12 rmz, but the 15 rmz is insane how much traction it has. This thing blows away my ,12 which I thought handled amazing. it'll turn inside of anything with ease. I let my friend ride it who has a 13 crf450, he said it's not even fair that I get to ride it against his bike.
And yet Yamaha with all their innovation still use and sell old outdated spring forks.

One thinks there might be some slight exaggeration in that last sentence.
Grizz
9/19/2014 6:58pm
I had a guy on thumpertalk who wanted to trade me straight across for his A-kit spring forks for my rmz tac's. They were pro circuit...

About how fast are you and how many hours do you ride a week?

Not being a smart ass, I'm actually curious.
prozach
9/19/2014 9:23pm

I ride a 14 kx450 that will turn inside your rmz all day.lol By the way, you coming down to ride Any time soon?
urbanlift707
9/19/2014 9:28pm
wow123 wrote:
And yet Yamaha with all their innovation still use and sell old outdated spring forks. One thinks there might be some slight exaggeration in that last...
And yet Yamaha with all their innovation still use and sell old outdated spring forks.

One thinks there might be some slight exaggeration in that last sentence.
Those are his words not mine. I honestly have not had enough time on the forks to form an opinion. Those yami forks are magic. I've only put 2 hours on the bike so far and its been on pretty smooth tracks. I'm also about 40 pounds to light for the rear spring, I got the correct rear spring on and will ride a track that should have some good bumps in it tomorrow.

Like I said though whether it's the forks or frame or both, this thing sticks to the ground like nothing I've ever felt.
urbanlift707
9/19/2014 9:31pm
prozach wrote:
I ride a 14 kx450 that will turn inside your rmz all day.lol By the way, you coming down to ride Any time soon?
your kawi is a pig and you know it. Imagine your skills on a good bike... I'm gonna ride estreet wed I think, tell the kids school's closed for the day and come ride!
prozach
9/19/2014 10:51pm
Bring your mtb. Going to downieville next sat. You going to watch my kid while I ride wed? Lol
JM485
9/19/2014 10:58pm
The question is will you guys ever man up and come down to Argyll with me?Tongue
prozach
9/19/2014 11:01pm
JM485 wrote:
The question is will you guys ever man up and come down to Argyll with me?Tongue
I'm going Sunday!
bvm111
9/19/2014 11:21pm
prozach wrote:
Bring your mtb. Going to downieville next sat. You going to watch my kid while I ride wed? Lol
How is downieville?

I'm hitting northstar tomorrow and moto on Sunday..... Thought about Hangotwn or E street, but probably stay local here in reno.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
9/19/2014 11:46pm
I'm about this fast... I try and ride once a week, it's kinda tough though the closest public track is four hours from my house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=337HylM6uq0&index=7&list=UU0EaBeYlr3_XB…
I live in ukiah, so the rumors of a track opening in garberville are false? Man, I think I have it bad with two and a half hours!
JM485
9/20/2014 1:08pm
JM485 wrote:
prozach wrote:
I'm going Sunday!
Right on I'm going Sunday as well! Hit me up, I'll be in my blue 86 toyota pickup with a cr125. You going to be on the Kawi in your pic?
ridge
9/20/2014 2:37pm
slipdog wrote:
I know it's rare to hear from Vital posters, but when it comes to works forks... I have no knowledge on the subject.Woohoo
You should get some...I need fork seals. Lol

Could I just bring my whole bike if you promise not to crash it?
slipdog
9/20/2014 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2014 4:15pm
slipdog wrote:
ridge wrote:
You should get some...I need fork seals. Lol

Could I just bring my whole bike if you promise not to crash it?
You need to get the parts because I have no way to find them. You can't just order parts for the most exotic and arguably the best forks ever made form motosport or Race Tech.

I'm kind of insulted by that comment though. Do you think I'm going to ghost your bike of a jump or something?
Bruce372
9/20/2014 6:28pm
Its production, surely all the parts will be available from the local dealer or online??? Smile

Will be nice not to buy springs.CoolCool
ridge
9/20/2014 6:59pm
slipdog wrote:
You need to get the parts because I have no way to find them. You can't just order parts for the most exotic and arguably the...
You need to get the parts because I have no way to find them. You can't just order parts for the most exotic and arguably the best forks ever made form motosport or Race Tech.

I'm kind of insulted by that comment though. Do you think I'm going to ghost your bike of a jump or something?
Yeah, don't know why I'd think that!

I have to get a new exhaust system too...it's wasted. Gotta stop crashing with Schultz.

Post a reply to: Showa A kit Air vs. 2015 KXF/RMZ Air

The Latest