Should the AMA....

jbomx363
2/22/2010 8:51am
Shenzi wrote:
before they start fining or penalizing riders on yellow flags, they need to have professional flaggers or stronger training. Yellow flaggers were a joke at Indy...
before they start fining or penalizing riders on yellow flags, they need to have professional flaggers or stronger training. Yellow flaggers were a joke at Indy SX. Flagging too late, flagging from a position not visible by the riders, flagging 4 turns ahead of a guy putting a tuf box back (outside of the track and no factor to track safety), still flagging 30 seconds after incident is gone and other flaggers have put it down, etc, etc.

Result, some riders (mostly the fastest ones) don't always respect yellow immediately, or don't always trust that there's a dangerous situation ahead, especially when they have visibility.
Yep.

To be honest, tough luck. Lappers are part of the whole race and everyone has to deal with them. If you can pick your way through them better than others, that's a skill in itself and more power to you.
Outsider
2/22/2010 9:00am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
Regis wrote:
I cannot comment on Chisholm because I did not see the Indy SX. But I can comment from the perspective of being a lapped rider in...
I cannot comment on Chisholm because I did not see the Indy SX. But I can comment from the perspective of being a lapped rider in a SX race because I believe I have more experience than any of you at being lapped in a SX race. Smile Trust me I am a proffesor at this, I actually have a doctorate in this subject.

There are A LOT of things you guys are not thinking about when when being lapped. You can't just stop, pull over, or change your line. Matter of fact, doing any of those could get yourself killed as well as the faster rider. The rule is you are supposed to hold your line and it is the responsibility of the faster rider to get around YOU. I know, I know a lot of you aren't going to believe me and tell me I am wrong.

You can't expect ANYBODY in a race to just give up when being lapped, They are racing just like everybode else for every point and every dollar.

Lappers have been a part of the sport since it's inception. It is a part of racing and if you are going to start fining racers for racing then you should just start having time trials and match races to get rid of the probelm.

Can't argue with this logic Smile

I think the powers that be should focus on avoiding the stupid one lined sections like the one or two at Indy and let it be, that one section where they rolled that little hill turn was rahtarded, it's not endurocross...

Lappers are another obstacle on the track plain and simple...

Of course, if there is something blatant, like a lapper that impedes the race when he's not racing for position, then that should be dealt with immediately.... jmo.

Edit: Wardy already nailed it.. didn't see his post, doh!
Highsider
2/22/2010 9:05am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2010 12:44pm
Has anybody considered the one particular corner, shown on Speed, re-grouped anybody in the vicinity, to be nut-to-butt?
It reminded me of NASCAR's regrouping caution strategy. No way anybody could move out of the one-lined section.
oldx
2/22/2010 10:00am
Friday wrote:
I say dock them a position. Because I believe that is why Chisolm is doing what he is doing.To take advantage of the other lapper in...
I say dock them a position. Because I believe that is why Chisolm is doing what he is doing.To take advantage of the other lapper in front of him.He gains on the rider he is battling with because that rider holds a line and allows the race to pass. Chisolm stays in the "race" line at race speed and gains an advantage on his competitor while hampering the real race at the same time.JMO of course.
You're right , Chisolm is proving again what a real piece of shit he is.

The Shop

jbomx363
2/22/2010 10:52am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
Friday wrote:
I say dock them a position. Because I believe that is why Chisolm is doing what he is doing.To take advantage of the other lapper in...
I say dock them a position. Because I believe that is why Chisolm is doing what he is doing.To take advantage of the other lapper in front of him.He gains on the rider he is battling with because that rider holds a line and allows the race to pass. Chisolm stays in the "race" line at race speed and gains an advantage on his competitor while hampering the real race at the same time.JMO of course.
oldx wrote:
I think you're both wrong.

If he was impeding, he would of been black flagged.
There is already a "penalty" in place, that is the black flag.

Regis.. sorry dude, you're somewhat wrong about what the rule actually says, on one hand it says hold your line, the other hand it says to move out of the fast line, albeit that is "when conditions allow":

2. Solid Blue Flag :

• Indicates you are about to be overtaken by faster

riders.

• When conditions allow, move out of the fast line.

Hold your line (don’t ride erratically) and do not

impede the faster riders progress.

• Riders disregarding this flag may be black-flagged at

the discretion of Race Director.

2/22/2010 10:58am
After say, 10 laps, begin pulling the rider in last place off the track each lap as they cross the finish line. That'll get them out of the way!
Pdub
2/22/2010 11:06am
huck wrote:
1st offense...1 week suspension
2nd offense...1 year suspension
third offense... life suspension
fourth offense... death penalty... no wait...
andymoto
2/22/2010 11:12am
Spinner wrote:
...start fining riders who can't abide by the blue flags?
AMA? Who are they?Smile
2/22/2010 11:14am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2010 11:14am
Friday wrote:
oldx wrote:
jbomx363 wrote:
I think you're both wrong. If he was impeding, he would of been black flagged. There is already a "penalty" in place, that is the...

Regis.. sorry dude, you're somewhat wrong about what the rule actually says, on one hand it says hold your line, the other hand it says to move out of the fast line, albeit that is "when conditions allow":

2. Solid Blue Flag :

riders.

2/22/2010 11:17am Edited Date/Time 2/23/2010 7:34am
TV did not do the off camber turn justice. They cut down the outside some after I shot this.

In this shot they had the fast line blocked to get them to run down the hill.......Where the guy is standing was at least a 1/2 sec faster.

Matt Wozney
2/22/2010 11:32am
There's always the Super X series in Australia on how they do the races.
Their survival race setup they do is a good way to eliminate lappers and keep the exciting racing action going. Just sayin'.......
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/22/2010 11:55am
It definitely didn't help that Dungey came up on Chisholm in the slowest, most one-lined corner on the track.
bogdan912
2/22/2010 12:01pm
I can see riders back in 17th or 18th moving out of the way quickly and easily, but when you are battling close to the top 10, see a blue flag, and then continue to see the guy you are racing when another bike pops in you assume your getting passed by someone who is not already ahead of you. You have to remember they guys are racing on a SX track, conscious thinking takes the back seat they are reacting on instinct.
Ozy
2/22/2010 12:20pm
How's this for a crazy idea, if you get lapped, you get black flagged off the track?

Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
2/22/2010 12:40pm
Regis wrote:
I cannot comment on Chisholm because I did not see the Indy SX. But I can comment from the perspective of being a lapped rider in...
I cannot comment on Chisholm because I did not see the Indy SX. But I can comment from the perspective of being a lapped rider in a SX race because I believe I have more experience than any of you at being lapped in a SX race. Smile Trust me I am a proffesor at this, I actually have a doctorate in this subject.

There are A LOT of things you guys are not thinking about when when being lapped. You can't just stop, pull over, or change your line. Matter of fact, doing any of those could get yourself killed as well as the faster rider. The rule is you are supposed to hold your line and it is the responsibility of the faster rider to get around YOU. I know, I know a lot of you aren't going to believe me and tell me I am wrong.

You can't expect ANYBODY in a race to just give up when being lapped, They are racing just like everybode else for every point and every dollar.

Lappers have been a part of the sport since it's inception. It is a part of racing and if you are going to start fining racers for racing then you should just start having time trials and match races to get rid of the probelm.

I totally agree with that.

On the other end, it's not like Chisholm changed the result of the race, it's not like he made RD lose the race. Dungey had 20 laps to get to first, he didn't, it's not #55's to blame for a mediocre start and not being able to pass RV.

Villopoto was just faster.

Same in the Lites, it was the last lap, it was hot all over, there's nowhere else that lapper could have gone, blue flags or not.

Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/22/2010 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2010 12:53pm
Ozy wrote:
How's this for a crazy idea, if you get lapped, you get black flagged off the track?

Lame! then you could potentially have 4 guys on the track spread out 10 -15 seconds each.

There are races going on all over the track, sometimes the race for the lead is BORING.
2/22/2010 12:57pm
I agree with Regis' comments however there is still one issue. While I agree a lapped rider should not have to slow down or move out of the way as they are racing for position the problem lies with riders like Chisholm who decide to try to get back in the race once he's getting lapped. He is not racing for lead but seems to try to run with the leaders once they lap him.

You know when your on the freeway and jump in another lane to pass someone going slower then you, then they decide to speed up as you try to get by? Yeah that driver is Chisholm being lapped.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/22/2010 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
Friday wrote:
oldx wrote:
jbomx363 wrote:
I think you're both wrong. If he was impeding, he would of been black flagged. There is already a "penalty" in place, that is the...

2. Solid Blue Flag :

riders.

If you are going to tell me I am somewhat wrong, at least use the whole sentence or rule and don't just highlight parts of it. The first part of the rule you put in bold states "When conditions allow" move out of the fast line. Very interesting and grey, who is to determine when conditions allow?

Ok, think about this for a second, what is the fast line? Maybe Bubba is tripling tripling a section and you are doing three doubles, if he is coming and you move out of your line thinking it is the "fast" line you may get plowed. Rule number one when getting lapped is to not try to "guess" what the leader is doing, you keep doing what your doing and he will go off you, you don;t have eyes in the back of your head (unless your name ryhmes with alessi)

In SX, there really isn't a whole lot of lines, and you don't have to stop racing and like I said before if you did you put the leader and yourself at serious risk.

Anyways,
jbomx363
2/22/2010 1:08pm
I agree with Regis' comments however there is still one issue. While I agree a lapped rider should not have to slow down or move out...
I agree with Regis' comments however there is still one issue. While I agree a lapped rider should not have to slow down or move out of the way as they are racing for position the problem lies with riders like Chisholm who decide to try to get back in the race once he's getting lapped. He is not racing for lead but seems to try to run with the leaders once they lap him.

You know when your on the freeway and jump in another lane to pass someone going slower then you, then they decide to speed up as you try to get by? Yeah that driver is Chisholm being lapped.
And I disagree with that comment too. I don't see anything wrong with trying to match the speed of someone faster than you and trying to learn and see the lines to how he was faster than me and who knows... maybe I can catch one of the guys a position ahead of me by doing that.

Just have to deal with all of the racers out there and let the officials make the decision if someone didn't obey the blue flag to their liking.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/22/2010 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
LOL... that is messed up! (on the freeway though) Having been in that situation like I said before, I would be lieing if I had not done that and I think that would be the general consensus of every pro out there unless you are just rolling around the track.

To me there are a couple different situations, if you crashed and are out there just getting points then no way do you wick it up after the leaders get by you, but if your in a three way battle for 10th and you get lapped, not all three riders are going to slow up the same so without actually impeding the leader there is no rule that says you have to give up, if the other two you are battling does then so what..... If you can glue yourself to his rear wheel then oh well....
Rooster
2/22/2010 1:11pm
Make the penalty a forfeiture of any prize money you might make to the rider who was impeded.

That way they can make the decision for themselves. Hold my line to try and hold 14th place off and hand over my prize money to the guy who got dicked, or move over and make some bucks.
toddh
2/22/2010 1:20pm
txmxer wrote:
Chisholm didn't change the outcome of the race IMO. RD had his opportunity to catch up to RV and he didn't. Regarding Sipes, where would you...
Chisholm didn't change the outcome of the race IMO. RD had his opportunity to catch up to RV and he didn't.

Regarding Sipes, where would you have had the lapper go? The fast line/race line was generically the outside line. The lapper was on the inside. Not sure he could have done anything other than what he did.

I agree that lappers shouldn't intentionally interfere with the race and should definitely make a reasonable effort to get out of the way, but, that's it. There wasn't a lot that could have reasonably been done different at Indy.
The lapper jumped in front of Sipes on the off camber. It cost him quite a bit of time. He could have waited till they were by before gettiing in line.
jbomx363
2/22/2010 1:20pm
Regis wrote:
I never referenced the actual rule, I am talking about the unwritten rule of actualy being out there. (there are a lot of those rules too)...
I never referenced the actual rule, I am talking about the unwritten rule of actualy being out there. (there are a lot of those rules too)

If you are going to tell me I am somewhat wrong, at least use the whole sentence or rule and don't just highlight parts of it. The first part of the rule you put in bold states "When conditions allow" move out of the fast line. Very interesting and grey, who is to determine when conditions allow?

Ok, think about this for a second, what is the fast line? Maybe Bubba is tripling tripling a section and you are doing three doubles, if he is coming and you move out of your line thinking it is the "fast" line you may get plowed. Rule number one when getting lapped is to not try to "guess" what the leader is doing, you keep doing what your doing and he will go off you, you don;t have eyes in the back of your head (unless your name ryhmes with alessi)

In SX, there really isn't a whole lot of lines, and you don't have to stop racing and like I said before if you did you put the leader and yourself at serious risk.

Anyways,
The rule is you are supposed to hold your line and it is the responsibility of the faster rider to get around YOU. I know, I know a lot of you aren't going to believe me and tell me I am wrong.

Next time, maybe try using proper terminology and you won't have people like me pointing out you were somewhat wrong. Or maybe a little clarification to what you meant when you said "the rule".

I highlighted those words that I did to point out the ambiguity of the rule.

When conditions allow... well.. common sense by the riders and if that doesn't work, the official can do as he pleases, which the above rule says to black flag the rider.

Same "grey area" as the rule about getting back on the track after you take an excursion off of it.

raddad
2/22/2010 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
Seems to me if you look at the race TIVO, Chisholm had plenty of room and time to get out of the way and he had no one around him that he was in a race with. He was wrong to stay in the race line after RV went by, simple as that. And you could see that RD was gaining on RV like mad in that last lap just like he did on Bubba at A-1 and has done many other times in his short career. He often pours it on in the last two or three laps if he is not in the lead. We will never know now thanks to a lapper.

The rule is pretty clear really, now they just need to enforce it IMO.
Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/22/2010 1:29pm
Regis wrote:
I never referenced the actual rule, I am talking about the unwritten rule of actualy being out there. (there are a lot of those rules too)...
I never referenced the actual rule, I am talking about the unwritten rule of actualy being out there. (there are a lot of those rules too)

Anyways,
jbomx363 wrote:
[i][b]The rule is you are supposed to hold your line and it is the responsibility of the faster rider to get around YOU. I know, I...
The rule is you are supposed to hold your line and it is the responsibility of the faster rider to get around YOU. I know, I know a lot of you aren't going to believe me and tell me I am wrong.

Next time, maybe try using proper terminology and you won't have people like me pointing out you were somewhat wrong. Or maybe a little clarification to what you meant when you said "the rule".

I highlighted those words that I did to point out the ambiguity of the rule.

When conditions allow... well.. common sense by the riders and if that doesn't work, the official can do as he pleases, which the above rule says to black flag the rider.

Same "grey area" as the rule about getting back on the track after you take an excursion off of it.

Sorry jbomx363- You're right, I was speaking the "riders rule" not the actual AMA rulebook rule, which has more grey area than anything.

Regis
Fantasy
340th
2/22/2010 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:56pm
raddad wrote:
Seems to me if you look at the race TIVO, Chisholm had plenty of room and time to get out of the way and he had...
Seems to me if you look at the race TIVO, Chisholm had plenty of room and time to get out of the way and he had no one around him that he was in a race with. He was wrong to stay in the race line after RV went by, simple as that. And you could see that RD was gaining on RV like mad in that last lap just like he did on Bubba at A-1 and has done many other times in his short career. He often pours it on in the last two or three laps if he is not in the lead. We will never know now thanks to a lapper.

The rule is pretty clear really, now they just need to enforce it IMO.
What would be happening on the message board if Chisholm, or any other rider for this matter, actually moved out of the way and collided with a faster rider that was going around him? Matter of fact, I believe this was what happened with Chisholm and Reed last year, he tried to do the "fast line" on the inside (out of the way) when everyone else was doing it on the outside and that forced him up into Reed (but that is a whole other 15 page argument Smile )

I gaurantee you that Dungey is way more OK (doesn't mean he is happy) with what happened this weekend rather than if Chisholm had moved over and they went down because Dungey had changed his line in anticipation of where the rider in front of him "was" heading.

people have to understand you're in a dogfight out there for 15-18 minutes doing the toughest sport in the world and doing it for the best postition you can get. If your worrying about getting lapped and anticipating that, you're in the wrong sport.

I think we all get it, we just don't want the race for the lead to get messed up. Very understandable. but will never happen 100% of the time.
Ozzy
2/22/2010 1:42pm
Actually, the AMA should fine themselves..........
This has been an issue for far to long......
YEARS!!!!!!
It's fixable, yet it's all on them, the AMA do do so.
It's SIMPLE!
SIMPLE's easy, they just need to do it already.
Rest assured they'll do absolutely nothing.
So, until it happens again...........
(by the way, it went on in both classes big time costing others!!!!)
Dave O.Wink
jbomx363
2/22/2010 4:52pm
No. It says he can't gain an advantage.
P
2/22/2010 4:52pm
Spinner wrote:
...start fining riders who can't abide by the blue flags?
Probably.

P

Post a reply to: Should the AMA....

The Latest