Should AX have racers on their way back from SX?

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 5/11/2015 7:32pm
Seems a bit unfair that the road to SX includes battling with racers who have been there done that but have returned to AX. Is it time for a Masters class?
|
Rooster
5/9/2015 5:26pm
That depends, do you want SX to have riders who get lapped 2-3 times in a main event on the track with the leaders?

It's difficult to qualify to race supercross, because the level of racing is supposed to be elite. If they were backmarkers before and your AX riders can't run with them now, how do think those same AX guys will fair at another level higher?
The Rock
5/9/2015 6:42pm
Too difficult questions for me to answer and is why I started the thread. Just curious what others opinions are.
bvm111
5/9/2015 10:03pm
Yes it is a professional series not a junior professional series, so why shouldn't it have professional racers compete in it even if they have raced the outdoors or indoors in any other series.

My .02
jeffro503
5/9/2015 10:15pm
I agree with BVM and rooster. It's a pro class...that's it. If you can't run with the front runners in AX you have no business being on an SX track. And just because the front runners used to race SX .....where else are they supposed to go?. A pro class is a pro class....either run the pace or find a different job. Besides it gives those new guys a good perspective of what real speed is all about.

The Shop

h&m_cycle
5/9/2015 10:30pm
The Rock wrote:
Seems a bit unfair that the road to SX includes battling with racers who have been there done that but have returned to AX. Is it...
Seems a bit unfair that the road to SX includes battling with racers who have been there done that but have returned to AX. Is it time for a Masters class?
Rock, Ricky's Road allows you to get a point for making the Lites East or West field too.
You need only to make 3 of those to get your supercross license.

That's how Vicki & alot of the others got it. Somebody was on here telling me I was wrong but I proved it.
Not much money in the lites, thinking vet pros would be racing the premier, the one that Bowers dude always won.

I think that the ricky's road points should come from only the premier class qualifying,

one guy that made the field in Vegas, got paid, his best time was 32 seconds slower then Moose's fast time.

and Vicki WAS 16 SECONDS FASTER then that guy.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/9/2015 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2015 11:10pm
AX was built on SX riders on their way down. Gaddis,Antunez,Reynard,Johnson, Smith, Gibson,Palmer
hvaughn88
5/10/2015 5:25am
Absolutely! And on top of that, I'll admit I've enjoyed watching some of the arenacross races more than the supercross. The "show" might be more polished in supercross, but the racing is awesome in arenacross. Kinda like watching short track races such as Bristol.
Crush
5/10/2015 5:31am
The road to SX guys don't have to do the whole series...
walent215
5/10/2015 5:36am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Absolutely! And on top of that, I'll admit I've enjoyed watching some of the arenacross races more than the supercross. The "show" might be more polished...
Absolutely! And on top of that, I'll admit I've enjoyed watching some of the arenacross races more than the supercross. The "show" might be more polished in supercross, but the racing is awesome in arenacross. Kinda like watching short track races such as Bristol.
I enjoyed the ax more than sx this year also....much more intensity! And we really liked the head to head racing also.
The Rock
5/10/2015 5:41am
Great responses plus very civil. Civility unfortunately seems to be getting to be rarer and rarer around here. Nice that you guys can respond without F bombs and personal attacks. Thanks.
kawasa84
5/10/2015 11:51am
I believe Bradshaw, after retiring from SX, decided to run the AX series, broke his leg and then retired for good. So its gotta be baddass. Besides Regal was a baddass this year.
I loved it when Antunez and Denny Stephenson ran the series as well.
Well, not to mention, the Demuth, and Darcy Lange years as well.
TMV
5/10/2015 12:06pm
Rooster wrote:
That depends, do you want SX to have riders who get lapped 2-3 times in a main event on the track with the leaders? It's difficult...
That depends, do you want SX to have riders who get lapped 2-3 times in a main event on the track with the leaders?

It's difficult to qualify to race supercross, because the level of racing is supposed to be elite. If they were backmarkers before and your AX riders can't run with them now, how do think those same AX guys will fair at another level higher?
You mean like this is already the case with the goons from B and C groups of each class?
5/10/2015 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2015 2:46pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
Rock, Ricky's Road allows you to get a point for making the Lites East or West field too. You need only to make 3 of those...
Rock, Ricky's Road allows you to get a point for making the Lites East or West field too.
You need only to make 3 of those to get your supercross license.

That's how Vicki & alot of the others got it. Somebody was on here telling me I was wrong but I proved it.
Not much money in the lites, thinking vet pros would be racing the premier, the one that Bowers dude always won.

I think that the ricky's road points should come from only the premier class qualifying,

one guy that made the field in Vegas, got paid, his best time was 32 seconds slower then Moose's fast time.

and Vicki WAS 16 SECONDS FASTER then that guy.
Pretty sure you are wrong on this. Here is the passage from the SX rulebook for 2015:

c. Earn 1 “Road to Supercross” point from the Arenacross class
at a minimum of three separate Arenacross event cities from
the 2014/15 season (for a total of 3 “Road to Supercross”
points earned in one season).
d. Riders who earned a 2013/14 AMA 250SX license may apply
for their 2015 license based on the criteria for which it was
earned in 2013/14.
e. One “Road to Supercross” point is earned by each rider
who qualifies in the top 30 for the Arenacross class.
Alternate riders will not be considered for a “Road to
Supercross’ point.
f. The AMA may issue a license to any rider who does not meet
the above criteria at its sole discretion.

Im also 99% sure Vicki qualified in the top 30 at three AX class races near the end of last year.

The guy who was 32 seconds off had his pro license and sx endorsement since at least 2011, before this became the way to qualify and just keeps renewing every year.

Section F allows for exceptions but the only SX exception this year that I know of was Tonus.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
5/11/2015 1:40pm
Fine IMO. If anything it's an benchmark for the new guys. If you can't beat a guy on his way down from SX, you likely aren't ready for SX no matter how many Ricky points you have.
gt80rider
5/11/2015 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2015 1:56pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Absolutely! And on top of that, I'll admit I've enjoyed watching some of the arenacross races more than the supercross. The "show" might be more polished...
walent215 wrote:
I enjoyed the ax more than sx this year also....much more intensity! And we really liked the head to head racing also.
X3... Might not have the elite names, but it is great racing to watch, both on tv and in person..
Panic_Rev
5/11/2015 2:16pm
the answer is yes they should. If an up and comer can't beat a person that has been there do you think they can beat the competition that is there?
A. DLeary
5/11/2015 2:35pm
The road to supercross does not help develop riders in any way, shape or form for SX racing in my opinion. They've started it because they realize they can milk even more money from the riders and hopefully get more people to show up for the AX shows.

From being involved in Arenacross and Supercross I can personally tell you the bike setup, and skills are not the same.
MtnBoy
5/11/2015 5:59pm
A. DLeary wrote:
The road to supercross does not help develop riders in any way, shape or form for SX racing in my opinion. They've started it because they...
The road to supercross does not help develop riders in any way, shape or form for SX racing in my opinion. They've started it because they realize they can milk even more money from the riders and hopefully get more people to show up for the AX shows.

From being involved in Arenacross and Supercross I can personally tell you the bike setup, and skills are not the same.
Some of the guys who have been through it and are now racing SX would disagree with you.
A. DLeary
5/11/2015 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2015 6:13pm
A. DLeary wrote:
The road to supercross does not help develop riders in any way, shape or form for SX racing in my opinion. They've started it because they...

MtnBoy wrote:
Some of the guys who have been through it and are now racing SX would disagree with you.
Most would not disagree with me unless they're acting politically correct for the broadcast.
Most the privateers in the pits this year that I talked to said it was simply a waste of time and money.

If FELD was interested in developing riders for supercross and keeping slower riders from being a danger they'd set a specific time they must be under on certain SX practice tracks around California. Set it up where they have an AMA official at specific tracks and put a transponder on.

The Road To Supercross is only their to make the AX series more money. Not develop riders.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/11/2015 6:21pm
I'm all for having a way for guys to make a living who may be past their prime in Supercross. We don't need a one-way path through the sport that ends after the 450 class.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/11/2015 6:28pm
GuyB wrote:
I'm all for having a way for guys to make a living who may be past their prime in Supercross. We don't need a one-way path...
I'm all for having a way for guys to make a living who may be past their prime in Supercross. We don't need a one-way path through the sport that ends after the 450 class.
Well said.
h&m_cycle
5/11/2015 7:22pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Pretty sure you are wrong on this. Here is the passage from the SX rulebook for 2015: c. Earn 1 “Road to Supercross” point from the...
Pretty sure you are wrong on this. Here is the passage from the SX rulebook for 2015:

earned in 2013/14.
Supercross’ point.

Im also 99% sure Vicki qualified in the top 30 at three AX class races near the end of last year.

The guy who was 32 seconds off had his pro license and sx endorsement since at least 2011, before this became the way to qualify and just keeps renewing every year.

Section F allows for exceptions but the only SX exception this year that I know of was Tonus.
Check out this guy, came in with Vicki, His AMA record, never seen anything like it, never raced an AMA motocross event.
But he made himself in A class rider & got his supercross license. Now he can't qualify to make the field. somebody's going
to get landed on.

http://results.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riders/84712-shawn-yarbrough
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/11/2015 7:25pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Pretty sure you are wrong on this. Here is the passage from the SX rulebook for 2015: c. Earn 1 “Road to Supercross” point from the...

earned in 2013/14.
Supercross’ point.

h&m_cycle wrote:
Check out this guy, came in with Vicki, His AMA record, never seen anything like it, never raced an AMA motocross event. But he made himself...
Check out this guy, came in with Vicki, His AMA record, never seen anything like it, never raced an AMA motocross event.
But he made himself in A class rider & got his supercross license. Now he can't qualify to make the field. somebody's going
to get landed on.

http://results.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riders/84712-shawn-yarbrough
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If a rider is really out of place, the officials take note and suggest that they come back after some more practice.
Sargent Rock
5/11/2015 7:32pm
The Rock wrote:
Great responses plus very civil. Civility unfortunately seems to be getting to be rarer and rarer around here. Nice that you guys can respond without F...
Great responses plus very civil. Civility unfortunately seems to be getting to be rarer and rarer around here. Nice that you guys can respond without F bombs and personal attacks. Thanks.
Exactly! Great point.

Post a reply to: Should AX have racers on their way back from SX?

The Latest