Shoei vs 6D?

Tsnail25
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2016 6:11pm
The 6d has the ods system but the shell is huge, I hated the Moto 9 I had in 2014 so bell isn't even an option, I really like Shoei but the design is outdated, so is the 6d worth the extra money?
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/2/2016 3:23pm
6D is worth it, yes. That, or some other next-gen helmet. Fox, TLD and Bell all sell helmets with the MIPS technology, which is similar to the 6D design. (Different approaches to the same problem.)

I've always been an Arai guy but I think TLD is my next helmet.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/2/2016 3:34pm
I dont understand why so many people look down on the Shoei just because they've had the same design for the last 7 years. Why change what works? You can never go wrong with a Shoei. As far as my experience with 6d, I tried one on and it was the worst fitting helmet I've ever put on my head. Others say they love it, but for me it was so uncomfortable. I'll stick with my Shoei
mtl
6/2/2016 3:44pm
Hands down 6D, it's not even a choice.
cwtoyota
6/2/2016 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2016 6:55pm
Tsnail25 wrote:
The 6d has the ods system but the shell is huge, I hated the Moto 9 I had in 2014 so bell isn't even an option...
The 6d has the ods system but the shell is huge, I hated the Moto 9 I had in 2014 so bell isn't even an option, I really like Shoei but the design is outdated, so is the 6d worth the extra money?
Currently I'm on my 2nd Shoe VFX-W. I took a good hit last summer in my last one. There are two problems with the Shoei design. The first one is that there is a large raised rib around the back of the shell. This catches the ground and rotates your head. If you want me to elaborate on that, ask.

The second problem with the Shoei design is that while the other manufacturers are improving their concussion protection, Shoei hasn't updated anything but their paint schemes.

For the price, I wouldn't buy a 6D. That's a $300 helmet in my opinion. I compared the 6D, Shoei and Arai and the quality of the 6D is obviously Chinese when you have all three on the same table.

I had a Moto 8 back when they came out in 2009. That thing was low quality garbage in my opinion.
Next I picked up a Fox V3 in 2010. Good quality with a carbon/fiber/fiberglass shell, but the EPS behind the cheek padding isn't a durable design.

The Shop

JWACK
6/2/2016 4:08pm
Troy lee se4 might be an option for you. I love shoei helmets as I think they fit great but Troy lees fit Great as well.. I think that the technology they have adapted to the se4 offers superior protection for the one and only head you own.
mj731
6/2/2016 4:58pm
I was just knocked out with my Shoei so I've been very interested in any threads about helmets. I have another new Shoei but I've thought about other options. The Shoei fits my head the best of all of the helmets I've worn but I was okay with the Bell moto 9 and the tld se3. I've wanted to hear if anyone has any experience with the Leatt to see how it fits and if the quality seems good because I'm able to get a discount on them but with so few reviews I'm a little hesitant.
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3249th
6/2/2016 6:17pm
We'll, I've been knocked out in a shoei as well as a Bell a Moto 9. I owned a 6D for a short period but as a small guy I felt like a bobble head. I'm looking forward to trying TLD's new lid or a Bell Flexx next. As a desert rider my crashes have happened at high speeds and I'm not sure the helmet would have made a difference? Any input from those smarter than I?
EddieC
6/2/2016 6:24pm
Falcon wrote:
6D is worth it, yes. That, or some other next-gen helmet. Fox, TLD and Bell all sell helmets with the MIPS technology, which is similar to...
6D is worth it, yes. That, or some other next-gen helmet. Fox, TLD and Bell all sell helmets with the MIPS technology, which is similar to the 6D design. (Different approaches to the same problem.)

I've always been an Arai guy but I think TLD is my next helmet.
MIPS is no where close to the tech that 6D or Bell Flex offer. NOT EVEN CLOSE.
The following link will tell you all need to know about MIPS.
http://www.bhsi.org/mips.htm
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/2/2016 6:27pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I dont understand why so many people look down on the Shoei just because they've had the same design for the last 7 years. Why change...
I dont understand why so many people look down on the Shoei just because they've had the same design for the last 7 years. Why change what works? You can never go wrong with a Shoei. As far as my experience with 6d, I tried one on and it was the worst fitting helmet I've ever put on my head. Others say they love it, but for me it was so uncomfortable. I'll stick with my Shoei
It's not MIPS bro! lol
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/2/2016 6:29pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I dont understand why so many people look down on the Shoei just because they've had the same design for the last 7 years. Why change...
seth505 wrote:
It's not MIPS bro! lol
Oh ya!! Thanks for the reminder bro!
Indy mxer
6/2/2016 8:34pm
That's easy. 6D is new, cutting edge technology. Even the NFL is looking at it.
Shoei 25 year old technology.
I had a shoei before I bought my 6D carbon. Quality is just as good and it fit my head better that my Shoei.
Oh, and the shell may be a little bigger but I don't notice it at all.

That said, some of the helmets with MIPS would be worth a look as well.

NHtoWA421
6/2/2016 10:06pm
I bought a shoei because I liked the way that it fit on my head. I tried on the bell, and 6d and was not sold on the way either fit my head. I was not convinced that the 6d ot bell would adaquitly fit my noggin correctly once it broke in. The shoei felt like a better fit. Snug all around and no pressure points, a feeling that inspired confidence.
Ryno429
6/2/2016 10:20pm
Shoei will be coming out with a new shell this year, as for the 6d shoei comparison my shoei was more comfortable but the 6d vents better, I mean way better to the point that the wind is loud but both great helmets. Ive had great Customer service from both companies so they both have that aspect covered pretty well.
Tsnail25
6/2/2016 10:31pm
I actually decided to get a se4 from Tld because it looks so sick and it has mips.
Motoxdoc
6/2/2016 10:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2016 10:35pm
Considering I liked my Bell Moto 2 or 3 35+ years ago, the 9 has to be good. The Shoei has always seemed like a top notch product. But 6D revolutionized the helmet industry....period!...and I've raced with both the owners of 6D and they are total MXer's who support the sport through and through, and are really nice people!...Fast too! Nod goes to 6D!

edit: TLD is reputable too!
Fearo
6/3/2016 1:33am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 2:06am
I have both. Shoei fits better, feels better and looks better imo. However, not by much.

That said, the Shoei is a 7 year old helmet, so I didn't even consider to buy one again, knowing there is the 6D and moto 9 flex with the latest tech.
Motofinne
6/3/2016 1:43am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 1:48am
I have both like Fearo.

I got the 6D a few weeks ago and i'm relatively happy with it. But the big minus is the price and the weight(It's a really heavy helmet. 1550 grams). The 6D is overpriced, that is a fact. The quality of the helmet is on the same level as a Fox V3/V4 and to pay 700-800€ for it is a bit silly. I haven't crashed yet with it.

The current Shoei is 7 years old so i would guess that there will be a new model soon with new technology. And the shape of the Shoei might look cool but it's a huge factor when it comes to crashes.
tempura
6/3/2016 1:44am
I use Shoei. Fit and quality is very good.
I won't put a Chinese helmet on my head.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
6/3/2016 2:06am
Tsnail25 wrote:
The 6d has the ods system but the shell is huge, I hated the Moto 9 I had in 2014 so bell isn't even an option...
I have a Shoei & really like it, even if it is a bit heavier than my other lids. I'd like you to elaborate of the shape of it & how it effects crashes. I haven't heard this yet. Thanks
Fearo
6/3/2016 2:08am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 2:09am
Motofinne wrote:
I have both like Fearo. I got the 6D a few weeks ago and i'm relatively happy with it. But the big minus is the price...
I have both like Fearo.

I got the 6D a few weeks ago and i'm relatively happy with it. But the big minus is the price and the weight(It's a really heavy helmet. 1550 grams). The 6D is overpriced, that is a fact. The quality of the helmet is on the same level as a Fox V3/V4 and to pay 700-800€ for it is a bit silly. I haven't crashed yet with it.

The current Shoei is 7 years old so i would guess that there will be a new model soon with new technology. And the shape of the Shoei might look cool but it's a huge factor when it comes to crashes.
Have you weighed your Shoei and your 6D back to back? My 6D is actually around 50g lighter than my Shoei (size L).

Also, I got a great deal on mine, a little less than 500 euros + free goggles. I'm sure there are comparable deals out there in the US.
Motofinne
6/3/2016 2:16am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 2:16am
Motofinne wrote:
I have both like Fearo. I got the 6D a few weeks ago and i'm relatively happy with it. But the big minus is the price...
I have both like Fearo.

Fearo wrote:
Have you weighed your Shoei and your 6D back to back? My 6D is actually around 50g lighter than my Shoei (size L). Also, I got...
Have you weighed your Shoei and your 6D back to back? My 6D is actually around 50g lighter than my Shoei (size L).

Also, I got a great deal on mine, a little less than 500 euros + free goggles. I'm sure there are comparable deals out there in the US.
The Shoei is 1290g and the 6D is 1550g. You got yours from Dirtbikebitz? They have sometimes deals on helmets where you get a free pair of Oakley Airbrakes?

I got my 6D from a Finnish dealer and i paid 700€. But i'm happy with it!
cwtoyota
6/3/2016 2:24am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 2:26am
I have a Shoei & really like it, even if it is a bit heavier than my other lids. I'd like you to elaborate of the...
I have a Shoei & really like it, even if it is a bit heavier than my other lids. I'd like you to elaborate of the shape of it & how it effects crashes. I haven't heard this yet. Thanks
In my experience, this rib (arrow) on the back of the shell can act like a knobby on a tire hooking the ground and causing your head to rotate rather than slide. When you look at the profile of the top of the VFX-W it is basically a long flat surface which will tend to align itself with the surface you impact against (the track surface). That causes a sudden rotation of the helmet & head. I have read from several sources that rotational acceleration of the head can cause a severe concussion.

*edit* I should add that last year I had that severe concussion and the damage to my helmet shows that what I described is exactly what happened.

Fearo
6/3/2016 3:05am Edited Date/Time 6/3/2016 3:06am
Motofinne wrote:
I have both like Fearo.

Fearo wrote:
Have you weighed your Shoei and your 6D back to back? My 6D is actually around 50g lighter than my Shoei (size L). Also, I got...

Motofinne wrote:
The Shoei is 1290g and the 6D is 1550g. You got yours from Dirtbikebitz? They have sometimes deals on helmets where you get a free pair...
The Shoei is 1290g and the 6D is 1550g. You got yours from Dirtbikebitz? They have sometimes deals on helmets where you get a free pair of Oakley Airbrakes?

I got my 6D from a Finnish dealer and i paid 700€. But i'm happy with it!
I got mine from dirtbikexpress, even cheaper than dirtbikebitz, with free 100% goggles.

I don't know where Shoei gets those numbers from but my VFX-W weighs 1609g on the scale while the 6D is 1540grams.
Motofinne
6/3/2016 3:11am
I have a Shoei & really like it, even if it is a bit heavier than my other lids. I'd like you to elaborate of the...
cwtoyota wrote:
In my experience, this rib (arrow) on the back of the shell can act like a knobby on a tire hooking the ground and causing your...
In my experience, this rib (arrow) on the back of the shell can act like a knobby on a tire hooking the ground and causing your head to rotate rather than slide. When you look at the profile of the top of the VFX-W it is basically a long flat surface which will tend to align itself with the surface you impact against (the track surface). That causes a sudden rotation of the helmet & head. I have read from several sources that rotational acceleration of the head can cause a severe concussion.

*edit* I should add that last year I had that severe concussion and the damage to my helmet shows that what I described is exactly what happened.

Those 3 ribs on the Shoei are dangerous when you crash. There is a reason why Arai always makes their helmets as round as possible. The Shoei looks good and aggressive but it will cause unnecessary sudden rotation in crashes. I'm pretty sure that the next gen Shoei helmet will be more round.
Jeremy200
6/3/2016 3:27am
cwtoyota wrote:
In my experience, this rib (arrow) on the back of the shell can act like a knobby on a tire hooking the ground and causing your...

Motofinne wrote:
Those 3 ribs on the Shoei are dangerous when you crash. There is a reason why Arai always makes their helmets as round as possible. The...
Those 3 ribs on the Shoei are dangerous when you crash. There is a reason why Arai always makes their helmets as round as possible. The Shoei looks good and aggressive but it will cause unnecessary sudden rotation in crashes. I'm pretty sure that the next gen Shoei helmet will be more round.
but you have a peak and jaw sticking out the other side - much more likely to catch than the back imo
cwtoyota
6/3/2016 3:54am
Jeremy200 wrote:
but you have a peak and jaw sticking out the other side - much more likely to catch than the back imo
I have two of these helmets in my shop that (in my opinion) clearly show this is a problem.

6/3/2016 5:51am
Ryno429 wrote:
Shoei will be coming out with a new shell this year, as for the 6d shoei comparison my shoei was more comfortable but the 6d vents...
Shoei will be coming out with a new shell this year, as for the 6d shoei comparison my shoei was more comfortable but the 6d vents better, I mean way better to the point that the wind is loud but both great helmets. Ive had great Customer service from both companies so they both have that aspect covered pretty well.
Sorry to say but there won't be a new Shoei yet this year.

There are these helmet threads every now and then on here that try to compare all these different helmets which is very hard to do. The top helmets out there (Shoei, Arai, 6D, Bell, TLD) are all very good helmets and you probably won't go wrong choosing from them. I've been using Arai and Shoei helmets for 10 years and they have saved my head in some big hits during the time. Yes they haven't changed much during the time but maybe they don't need to, as someone said earlier they still do their job when you hit your head.
And last I always find it funny when people make a big deal of the weight of helmets. When a helmet weights a bit more than the other I think to myself that there is some more stuff in the helmet to protect my head. I've seen for myself and heard so many stories about completely destroyed Airoh helmets that I'm happy to have a helmet that isn't the lightest on the market.
RPM68
6/3/2016 9:20am
NHtoWA421 wrote:
I bought a shoei because I liked the way that it fit on my head. I tried on the bell, and 6d and was not sold...
I bought a shoei because I liked the way that it fit on my head. I tried on the bell, and 6d and was not sold on the way either fit my head. I was not convinced that the 6d ot bell would adaquitly fit my noggin correctly once it broke in. The shoei felt like a better fit. Snug all around and no pressure points, a feeling that inspired confidence.
I only partially agree with your statement. The technology of the 6D is better, but the build quality is one of the worst in its class. It is very "Chinese-ish" if you will. However, 6D can do so much for the customer that Shoei can't. They have some of the best customer support I had ever dealt with as a dealer. You can replace EPS liner's and maximize the life of the helmet if you wad it up.

Shoei and Arai can't be matched as far as the manufacturing process. Both are hand built in Japan, with multiple inspection points throughout the 6 day process each helmet takes to build. The strength and consistency of each helmet just simply can't be matched. However, like stated above is a very out dated technology when compared to the Bell or 6D. I personally love my Bell, and have so many hits to the head from over the years i'm screwed regardless.
swtwtwtw
6/3/2016 10:01am
I like that the 6d is very customizable in regards to fit. Plus the cushions and liners are very reasonably priced. I just switched from a 6d to Suomy and that helmet lasted one hit (of a type I had a few times before in my 6d with no ill effects) and I was knocked out. So I am back in a 6d, although the Suomy was super light, I do not notice the weight difference with my new 6d on my head, in fact I am adding a wrap to it this time for roost protection on the helmet and looks.
Tracktor
6/3/2016 10:24am
First thing is to buy a helmet that fits well. I was sold on 6d until we tried them on. Other than the Leatt it was the most uncomfortable helmet I tried in a long time including a few cheapies. Both of my boys hated them also. Alos, you could push the chin guard right into your face with very little effort. Might be different for others but heard the same feedback from a lot of people. Tech is great but delivery sucks, IMO. Bell Flex worked great for us and Shoeis have also.
That said, i applaud 6d for pushing helmet tech out of the '80's. Now put in into a better package, please so we can buy one.............

Post a reply to: Shoei vs 6D?

The Latest