Shoei helmet question...

DoctorJD
Edited Date/Time 12/18/2015 5:40pm
Time for a new lid. I found a great price on a Shoei VFX-W, but I'd like to confirm a couple of things before I pull the trigger:

1. My head size is on the upper end of "medium" (22.75") and the max according to Shoei is 22.875". I've heard these helmets run a little small and I'd need to bump up to a large. Can anyone confirm?

2. I'm wondering about how this helmet interfaces with 100% goggles (Racecraft, to be specific). The face opening looks a little small. Is this accurate, or is there enough room that my goggles aren't forced in there?

Thanks!
|
Team Ideal
6/10/2014 7:01am
no idea on the size, my son wears a medium though and he likes it because it is snug. the Racecraft do fit and you are correct, it is kind of a small opening compared to others, but he wears that goggle and doesn't have any issues.
Fearo
6/10/2014 7:14am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2014 7:14am
I can't help you on which size of helmet you should take, but I will say that in my experience the Shoei's don't fit smaller than other brands. I'm pretty sure your goggles will fit as well. I run the oakley airbrakes which are probably the biggest frame available and they fit just fine.
enketchum
6/10/2014 7:15am
DO NOT order a helmet without trying it on first. Go to a dealership that sells Shoei in your area.

A cheap helmet that fits properly will protect you better than an expensive helmet that does not fit
mxb2
6/10/2014 7:21am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2014 7:22am
DoctorJD wrote:
Time for a new lid. I found a great price on a Shoei VFX-W, but I'd like to confirm a couple of things before I pull...
Time for a new lid. I found a great price on a Shoei VFX-W, but I'd like to confirm a couple of things before I pull the trigger:

1. My head size is on the upper end of "medium" (22.75") and the max according to Shoei is 22.875". I've heard these helmets run a little small and I'd need to bump up to a large. Can anyone confirm?

2. I'm wondering about how this helmet interfaces with 100% goggles (Racecraft, to be specific). The face opening looks a little small. Is this accurate, or is there enough room that my goggles aren't forced in there?

Thanks!
i have the same shoei, size chart is pretty accurate. , and wear 100% also, the accuris slide in no problem, racecraft lil trickier w nose piece but still good to go.Or remove nose piece., hope this helps, my foxv3,v4, bells were the same size as my shoei. imo get the size u normally wear.,and keep a x tra visor in ur duffle bag.

The Shop

MotoMalyDad
6/10/2014 7:23am
enketchum wrote:
DO NOT order a helmet without trying it on first. Go to a dealership that sells Shoei in your area. A cheap helmet that fits properly...
DO NOT order a helmet without trying it on first. Go to a dealership that sells Shoei in your area.

A cheap helmet that fits properly will protect you better than an expensive helmet that does not fit
100 % agree, make sure you buy it from them too. Brick and mortar shops are closing up due to lost sales to the internet. Yes they could be better priced, but to have the inventory on hand and the floor space costs money. A friend that owns a knife shop says sometimes the customer doesn't get out of the store before ordering what he just showed them on their smartphone.
hvaughn88
6/10/2014 7:24am
enketchum wrote:
DO NOT order a helmet without trying it on first. Go to a dealership that sells Shoei in your area. A cheap helmet that fits properly...

i hate that this argument gets brought up every damn time someone talks about ordering helmets. You do realize not every lives in southern California, right? The "closest" thing some people have to any remotely current or relevant motocross helmet is about a 5-6 hour drive. If the dude is wanting to order a helmet and asking specific questions, answer the damn question or move one.
enketchum
6/10/2014 7:37am
enketchum wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
i hate that this argument gets brought up every damn time someone talks about ordering helmets. You do realize not every lives in southern California, right...
i hate that this argument gets brought up every damn time someone talks about ordering helmets. You do realize not every lives in southern California, right? The "closest" thing some people have to any remotely current or relevant motocross helmet is about a 5-6 hour drive. If the dude is wanting to order a helmet and asking specific questions, answer the damn question or move one.
I think buying the right helmet is worth a 5 to 6 hour drive.

People who don't think helmets are that important will get a Darwin award sooner than the rest of us
hvaughn88
6/10/2014 7:40am
enketchum wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
i hate that this argument gets brought up every damn time someone talks about ordering helmets. You do realize not every lives in southern California, right...
enketchum wrote:
I think buying the right helmet is worth a 5 to 6 hour drive. People who don't think helmets are that important will get a Darwin...

People who don't think helmets are that important will get a Darwin award sooner than the rest of us
you realize it's cheaper to mail it back and get another one (even if it takes a couple times) rather than drive 12 hours round trip, right??
mxb2
6/10/2014 7:43am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2014 7:44am
hvaughn88 wrote:
enketchum wrote:
I think buying the right helmet is worth a 5 to 6 hour drive. People who don't think helmets are that important will get a Darwin...

hvaughn88 wrote:
you realize it's cheaper to mail it back and get another one (even if it takes a couple times) rather than drive 12 hours round trip...
you realize it's cheaper to mail it back and get another one (even if it takes a couple times) rather than drive 12 hours round trip, right??
x2, and most shops dont carry high end helmets in a ssorted sizes., like u said drive 5 hrs ,$80 in gas and your time, or return by mail $15 hmm.
DoctorJD
6/10/2014 8:51am
hvaughn88 wrote:
enketchum wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
you realize it's cheaper to mail it back and get another one (even if it takes a couple times) rather than drive 12 hours round trip...
First off, thanks for all the (relevant) replies, I think I'll go with the large.

In typical Vital fashion, the original topic has morphed into a debate. Let me address a couple of comments:

In regards to brick-and-mortar stores, you're preaching to the choir. I have been working in my family's business my entire life (lumber/hardware). My (power) tool sales have basically fallen off the face of the earth in the last ten years because of internet sales and big box "giveaway" pricing. There are other categories I can compare to this, but you get the picture. I try to keep my prices as competitive as possible, but I've also got to make a profit. In my other hobby (cycling) I try to do as much business as I can with my local shops, however, there's a line I draw in the where I just can't justify spending more (sacrificing) just because they're brick-and-mortar. For me, that line is somewhere around 5-10%, depending on the total purchase. I wouldn't ask my customers to pay any more. Oh, I also have $200 in Motosport gift cards.

I live in the sticks, the closest Shoei dealer is over an hour away from me. Between the fuel and my time, it makes more sense for me to order online, like others have pointed out, it makes more sense. Did I mention I work 6 days a week?

enketchum, I'd appreciate it if you'd just check out of any thread I post. You're either a troll or a raging narcissist, in either case you're an asshole. Darwin Award because I won't try a Shoei helmet on at a shop? Brilliant.

gt80rider
6/10/2014 8:54am
yes, i realize many shops are a long drive.. and yes, many good shops from the old days are stocking next to no moto gear now days... but if at all possible it is soooooo much better to try on a bunch of lids before cutting the check... different brands are suited better for different types of heads (round vs long and narrow, etc), if you haven't tried on a bunch of different helmets you might not find the brand that fits you best, let alone the proper size... seriously, a helmet is the one piece of equipment you don't want to half ass or get wrong... it is worth every single penny for the drive to a good shop... and personally, when i try on new helmets, i try on at least 3 different brands (more if possible) before getting down to a proper size, and there is no way i'm waiting that long and paying for all that shipping via mail order...
enketchum
6/10/2014 8:56am
I wasn't say you weren't going to. I said anyone who does not care enough to get the right size will be receiving the award
TeamGreen
6/10/2014 9:01am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2014 11:16am
Trying on a helmet and check-fitting your goggles is a really good idea. Once you get the helmet on: Shake your head side-to-side like your telling someone, "Oh, hell NO!" And then Super-Shake your head Back-n-Forth like your telling someone, "Oh, hell YES!" Then, do ALL of it all over again...the helmet should loosen-up a little bit and you'll need to snug up the strap...probably.

Oh, by the way, do this with your goggles on, too. That means the goggles you actually wear....

Nowadays I tell people to take their Leatt (or other neck-device) and chest-protector and wear them during a check-fit, too.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
6/10/2014 9:01am
Places like Dennis Kirk offer free shipping AND free returns on helmets.

Even a place thru Amazon, JC Motors, sent me a helmet with free shipping, it was too tight, and they sent me a return shipping label at no charge. And the new larger helmet is coming again with no shipping charges.

I know you said you found a cheap price, but some people are pretty liberal with their shipping charges.

I personally would have bought local, and almost always do, but they didn't have the particular helmet I wanted.
hvaughn88
6/10/2014 9:16am
DoctorJD wrote:
First off, thanks for all the (relevant) replies, I think I'll go with the large. In typical Vital fashion, the original topic has morphed into a...
First off, thanks for all the (relevant) replies, I think I'll go with the large.

In typical Vital fashion, the original topic has morphed into a debate. Let me address a couple of comments:

In regards to brick-and-mortar stores, you're preaching to the choir. I have been working in my family's business my entire life (lumber/hardware). My (power) tool sales have basically fallen off the face of the earth in the last ten years because of internet sales and big box "giveaway" pricing. There are other categories I can compare to this, but you get the picture. I try to keep my prices as competitive as possible, but I've also got to make a profit. In my other hobby (cycling) I try to do as much business as I can with my local shops, however, there's a line I draw in the where I just can't justify spending more (sacrificing) just because they're brick-and-mortar. For me, that line is somewhere around 5-10%, depending on the total purchase. I wouldn't ask my customers to pay any more. Oh, I also have $200 in Motosport gift cards.

I live in the sticks, the closest Shoei dealer is over an hour away from me. Between the fuel and my time, it makes more sense for me to order online, like others have pointed out, it makes more sense. Did I mention I work 6 days a week?

enketchum, I'd appreciate it if you'd just check out of any thread I post. You're either a troll or a raging narcissist, in either case you're an asshole. Darwin Award because I won't try a Shoei helmet on at a shop? Brilliant.

Ya, that's probably my bad and I apologize for throwing it off the tracks. Just pisses me off that it's the same damn snarky answer every time someone asks a question about helmet sizing. Enketchum, everyone knows that trying on a helmet is, hands-down, the absolute best way to buy a helmet. No one is arguing that point. It's just not always a viable option.
Tracktor
6/10/2014 9:27am
Shoeis sells cheek pads & liners separately so you can custom fit your helmet if you end up being off be just a bit.........
enketchum
6/10/2014 11:06am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Ya, that's probably my bad and I apologize for throwing it off the tracks. Just pisses me off that it's the same damn snarky answer every...
Ya, that's probably my bad and I apologize for throwing it off the tracks. Just pisses me off that it's the same damn snarky answer every time someone asks a question about helmet sizing. Enketchum, everyone knows that trying on a helmet is, hands-down, the absolute best way to buy a helmet. No one is arguing that point. It's just not always a viable option.
Why would you not buy a helmet the absolute, best way possible?
enketchum
6/10/2014 11:08am
Tracktor wrote:
Shoeis sells cheek pads & liners separately so you can custom fit your helmet if you end up being off be just a bit.........
Be careful doing that. Every size has a different shell in Shoei, because they are a good helmet company. Changing the pads too much will decrease the performance of the helmet in case of a crash.

Cheap helmet companies make one shell for several sizes and make the pads different thickness to change the size. The medium size for that shell will usually be the safest because it's enough padding with enough shell and foam
Outsider
6/10/2014 11:12am
I could never make a Shoei feel "good".. I have an Arai head, which doesn't help the old pocket book.

Thanks Obama!
enketchum
6/10/2014 11:17am
Outsider wrote:
I could never make a Shoei feel "good".. I have an Arai head, which doesn't help the old pocket book.

Thanks Obama!
Arai seems to fit people will long heads, front to back. Shoei usually fits people with shorter heads, front to back.
Outsider
6/10/2014 11:18am
Outsider wrote:

Thanks Obama!
enketchum wrote:
Arai seems to fit people will long heads, front to back. Shoei usually fits people with shorter heads, front to back.
Well, I do have a long head...
Pryda
6/10/2014 11:21am
If ur head shape is oval (not face, but head), and u can measure ur head, then you should get a pretty spot on fitting helmet.
I find Shoei very true fit, my head is like 58-59, and M fit me perfectly. Give me a grimace, which is a good sign.
hvaughn88
6/10/2014 11:26am
hvaughn88 wrote:
Ya, that's probably my bad and I apologize for throwing it off the tracks. Just pisses me off that it's the same damn snarky answer every...
enketchum wrote:
Why would you not buy a helmet the absolute, best way possible?
Honestly dude, just get lost. All you ever wanna do is try and make yourself look like a know-it-all and you just end up looking like an asshat. I'm just gonna steer clear of conversing with you and let you just make yourself look like an ass all by your lonesome, because you definitely don't need any help.
Tracktor
6/10/2014 12:05pm
Tracktor wrote:
enketchum wrote:
Be careful doing that. Every size has a different shell in Shoei, because they are a good helmet company. Changing the pads too much will decrease...
Be careful doing that. Every size has a different shell in Shoei, because they are a good helmet company. Changing the pads too much will decrease the performance of the helmet in case of a crash.

Cheap helmet companies make one shell for several sizes and make the pads different thickness to change the size. The medium size for that shell will usually be the safest because it's enough padding with enough shell and foam
I am not saying to try and make a XL helmet fit someone who wears a small. Use some common sense? And Shoei does share shell sizes for sure between XS & XXS. I know that as I have a kid between those sizes and have used the cheek pads to get a perfect fit as per Shoei...............
Outsider
6/10/2014 12:21pm
enketchum wrote:
Only the head is long?
Yes, it's disturbing, or awesome, depending on your POV
PPS Moto
6/10/2014 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2014 12:35pm
Tracktor wrote:
enketchum wrote:
Be careful doing that. Every size has a different shell in Shoei, because they are a good helmet company. Changing the pads too much will decrease...

Typically it's the EPS inside the shell that determines the size in this case, not the comfort foam. Shoei offers thicker comfort foam for people who are in between sizes.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/10/2014 1:51pm
enketchum wrote:
This info is kinda outdated. This used to be the case years ago. I have a long-oval head and always wore Arai and could never wear Shoei. Shoei were more round and would create pressure at the front and back of my head and feel loose on the sides. However, the newer VFX-W is more oval and fits me great and that's what I wear now.

I think this is because Shoe used to sell the same helmet in the US as in Japan and it was "Asian" shaped for round heads. Now they actually sell specific helmets for each country. I also have a Japan-domestic VFX-W that my son wears and it is very round shaped compared to my US model Shoei.
6/10/2014 2:31pm
HOLY FUCK how can you guys turn a helmet question into this fucking yard sale^^^^^

Post a reply to: Shoei helmet question...

The Latest