"Sherco" Electric bike, with clutch and gearbox

stillwelding
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2019 12:35pm
Looks like it has a gearbox and clutch. Just replacing the crankshaft with an electric motor.
For electric bikes, this is the way to go IMO. Don't know what the gas tank is for though. Guess in case you get thirsty, you can carry some water.

|
cason402
11/9/2011 9:37am
gas cap covers the plug in on the Zero's i think
MOTODAD422
11/9/2011 9:40am
Thats the first e-bike i have seen that looks somewhat beefy,the other ones look like a warmed over mountain bike.
MotoChief
11/9/2011 9:49am
Gears and clutch just add weight. The beauty of the electric motor is that they are not necessary. It also means that the electric motor will have to run continuously sucking the power from the batteries. Seems pointless to me with the exception of marketing to the core moto guys that love clutches and gears.
waitn4
11/9/2011 9:54am
I am pretty sure that the gears and clutches are necessary. it would vastly reduce the load drawn on the battery. Did you read about the zero and the guy who ran it dry in 12 minutes. That is just not enough time and this could dramatically increase the efficiency of the motor so it should work.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
11/9/2011 9:55am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 9:55am
It wonder if that one's actually a hybrid? I also see radiators and radiator hoses.
EastFlorida
11/9/2011 10:02am
GuyB wrote:
It wonder if that one's actually a hybrid? I also see radiators and radiator hoses.
That is to cool the small hidden nuclear reactor....
bigcat
11/9/2011 10:05am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 10:06am
GuyB wrote:
I was thinking the same.
Whats the purpose of having radiators on an electric bike?

Edit: i'm a little to slow on the draw...
reded
11/9/2011 10:14am
GuyB wrote:
Perhaps it keeps the battery cool?
stillwelding
11/9/2011 10:47am
MotoChief wrote:
Gears and clutch just add weight. The beauty of the electric motor is that they are not necessary. It also means that the electric motor will...
Gears and clutch just add weight. The beauty of the electric motor is that they are not necessary. It also means that the electric motor will have to run continuously sucking the power from the batteries. Seems pointless to me with the exception of marketing to the core moto guys that love clutches and gears.
I think that's why the Brammo guys bought into the Italian company that also makes a gearbox setup. They're thinking is that to appeal to motorcyclists in general, that they need the familiarity of the gearbox and clutch to get people to "Buy In" to the Electric motorcycle. I know you are right, completely unnecessary, but may be needed to appeal to the general public, i.e., today's rider.
stillwelding
11/9/2011 10:49am
GuyB wrote:
Maybe, but it looks like the hoses go straight from the radiators, into the case.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
11/9/2011 10:53am
GuyB wrote:
reded wrote:
Since it has gears, tranny and a clutch, it could be an oil cooler.
NeWskoolmxer
11/9/2011 11:12am
This is the first true electric Motocross bike I've seen. This could be onto something. I think the rad is for cooling of the battery aswell. The zero is cool but it is just an electric mtb on steroids.
Hut
11/9/2011 11:31am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 11:32am
Googled this 2 speed liquid cooled 35hp electric motor;

Sherco SE Electric, key points:
- engine: 144 V, 5400 Rpm (8000 max), liquid cooling by electric pump Bosh
- battery: Kokam LiPo technology, 7 V 15 Ah 2220 Wh (x4)
- time of refill 1 hour
- gear box: 2 sequential reports/ratios
- weight: less than 100 kg

http://www.moto-station.com/article12601-nouveaute-moto-2012-eicma-sher…

translated page on -> http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
Erick
11/9/2011 11:44am Edited Date/Time 11/9/2011 11:53am
Awesome, there is very good news and a lot of innovation on the horizon Smile

Thank you for you post

I think it is good to see smaller brands coming back with innovation
Rooster
11/9/2011 11:58am
It seems like the benefits of an electric motor are even better than a four stroke.

The only thing holding back electric bikes is the range and battery weight. If they could do a small turbine or even diesel powered hybrid, you'd have the benefits of electric without the range issue. You can get a good amount of power out of a small engine if they are designed to run within a very narrow consistent RPM range. Certainly enough to power a generator.
APLMAN99
11/9/2011 1:30pm
After Ossa and future enduro bike dual injection, the French manufacturer that Sherco has a surprise at the show, EICMA with Sherco EVOLT: an electric motor and enduro water cooled to maximize the life the motorcycle (30 to 40 minutes) by reducing the temperature of the electric motor.
The Evolt will have a 2 speed: a "normal" and a second shorter for the crossing and flying at low speed.

http://www.freenduro.com/nouveautés-produits-off-road/201111091231/prod…
sanguine1961
5/14/2019 6:22am
Looks like it has a gearbox and clutch. Just replacing the crankshaft with an electric motor. For electric bikes, this is the way to go IMO...
Looks like it has a gearbox and clutch. Just replacing the crankshaft with an electric motor.
For electric bikes, this is the way to go IMO. Don't know what the gas tank is for though. Guess in case you get thirsty, you can carry some water.

Finally, a manufacturer who understands we don't want an oversize pw50 without a clutch!!!
sanguine1961
5/14/2019 6:27am
MotoChief wrote:
Gears and clutch just add weight. The beauty of the electric motor is that they are not necessary. It also means that the electric motor will...
I think that's why the Brammo guys bought into the Italian company that also makes a gearbox setup. They're thinking is that to appeal to motorcyclists...
I think that's why the Brammo guys bought into the Italian company that also makes a gearbox setup. They're thinking is that to appeal to motorcyclists in general, that they need the familiarity of the gearbox and clutch to get people to "Buy In" to the Electric motorcycle. I know you are right, completely unnecessary, but may be needed to appeal to the general public, i.e., today's rider.
You are exactly right...I don't want an oversize pw50, I graduated from that 30 years ago...
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/14/2019 6:28am
GuyB wrote:
Naw, there's no combustion engine stashed in there. Similar to what Honda is working on, they're using liquid cooling to control the heat created when the battery is discharging energy. If they can lower the temps, it'll better control the energy loss...in turn, it could extend the battery pack life while riding.
Johnny Depp
5/14/2019 6:30am
Looks like it has a gearbox and clutch. Just replacing the crankshaft with an electric motor. For electric bikes, this is the way to go IMO...

Finally, a manufacturer who understands we don't want an oversize pw50 without a clutch!!!
You may want one, yet thousands of experienced dirt bikers have chosen to spend $500-1k to add a Rekluse auto clutch, because they recognize the advantages. That's not even considering how many new riders might give the sport a try if the gap between beginner and intermediate wasn't so difficult to achieve.

Even if they offer a trans, with the E torque I'd think 3-4 gears would be plenty. The Honda proto doesn't appear to have a transmission.
sanguine1961
5/14/2019 6:35am
GuyB wrote:
reded wrote:
Yes, it keeps the battery and electric motor cool...I think the Alta had radiators as well...electric motors and batteries get very hot when under load.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
5/14/2019 6:41am
Even if a Clutch wasnt necessary i would still like to have one, some people use it to regulate power
Turbojez
5/14/2019 6:44am
This thread is 8 years old. Production bike should be ready any day now... Wink
sanguine1961
5/14/2019 7:22am

You may want one, yet thousands of experienced dirt bikers have chosen to spend $500-1k to add a Rekluse auto clutch, because they recognize the advantages...
You may want one, yet thousands of experienced dirt bikers have chosen to spend $500-1k to add a Rekluse auto clutch, because they recognize the advantages. That's not even considering how many new riders might give the sport a try if the gap between beginner and intermediate wasn't so difficult to achieve.

Even if they offer a trans, with the E torque I'd think 3-4 gears would be plenty. The Honda proto doesn't appear to have a transmission.
A Rekluse clutch still has a clutch and uses gears right?? Also, this is for super technical enduro stuff...not motocross or general riding....The only advantage I see is no noise...which would be nice since I could ride in my yard without bothering my neighbors...
endurox
5/14/2019 7:38am
MotoChief wrote:
I think that's why the Brammo guys bought into the Italian company that also makes a gearbox setup. They're thinking is that to appeal to motorcyclists...
A clutch is necessary for loading the suspension for trials, extreme enduro, enduro and starts on an mx track. The Alta got smoked off the starts at RB Straight Rhythm where it should have been the best off the line. The Mecatecno trials bike has a Montessa/Honda 5 speed gear box and clutch in it. New production model will have 4.5 hour battery life and weigh in at 135 pounds.
mx_563
5/14/2019 8:15am
Anyone else notice the dismembered hand on the seat??? Looks like there's been some photoshopping going on.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/14/2019 8:15am
GuyB wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Naw, there's no combustion engine stashed in there. Similar to what Honda is working on, they're using liquid cooling to control the heat created when the...
Naw, there's no combustion engine stashed in there. Similar to what Honda is working on, they're using liquid cooling to control the heat created when the battery is discharging energy. If they can lower the temps, it'll better control the energy loss...in turn, it could extend the battery pack life while riding.
Congratulations on replying to a 2011 message. ?
JM485
5/14/2019 8:37am Edited Date/Time 5/14/2019 8:39am
endurox wrote:
A clutch is necessary for loading the suspension for trials, extreme enduro, enduro and starts on an mx track. The Alta got smoked off the starts...
A clutch is necessary for loading the suspension for trials, extreme enduro, enduro and starts on an mx track. The Alta got smoked off the starts at RB Straight Rhythm where it should have been the best off the line. The Mecatecno trials bike has a Montessa/Honda 5 speed gear box and clutch in it. New production model will have 4.5 hour battery life and weigh in at 135 pounds.
It got smoked off the line because DD didn’t install his hole shot device correctly and couldn’t use it. I’ve done starts with one, all you need to do it hold the front brake and give it a very small amount of throttle to keep the chain tight, then you’re off to the races even against 450s

Post a reply to: "Sherco" Electric bike, with clutch and gearbox

The Latest