Shaun Palmer - 2008(?)

moto589
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:15pm
I think this is heading into the 2008 season. He had a great opportunity with YOT, too bad it never came to be. It would have been interesting to see what he was capable of.

Looks like Ping was helping him.

|
11/18/2011 7:49am
I think we saw what he was capable of ?
johansen
11/18/2011 7:52am
526 wrote:
Tell me about your achievements!
motosmith
11/18/2011 8:07am
I spoke with Palmer in the Portland airport. He was flying home from a ski trip on Mt Hood. He was really friendly and willing to talk moto. Cool dude.

The Shop

11/18/2011 8:58am
To sum things up, he wasn't very good. I raced him once at a local Lites Pro Race. I'm not saying I won (4th out of 10), but after the first lap he was struggling to keep pace and found himself in last. He decided to pull off and didn't even show for the second moto. And yes he was on very nice YOT bike. I also saw him a couple more times at some local tracks practicing and bottom line he was a top 5 intermediate at best. So what did he do? The smartest thing he could have done, he gave up and didn't pursue motocross anymore because it was NEVER going to happen for him. Don't get me wrong, he's a talented guy at multiple sports. But I think we can agree that all around motocross is the most difficult sport in the world. Nobody and I mean nobody can just jump into this sport and all of sudden qualify for a national. 35th-40th in either class is still a badass rider!!!
mxnick
11/18/2011 9:10am
To sum things up, he wasn't very good. I raced him once at a local Lites Pro Race. I'm not saying I won (4th out of...
To sum things up, he wasn't very good. I raced him once at a local Lites Pro Race. I'm not saying I won (4th out of 10), but after the first lap he was struggling to keep pace and found himself in last. He decided to pull off and didn't even show for the second moto. And yes he was on very nice YOT bike. I also saw him a couple more times at some local tracks practicing and bottom line he was a top 5 intermediate at best. So what did he do? The smartest thing he could have done, he gave up and didn't pursue motocross anymore because it was NEVER going to happen for him. Don't get me wrong, he's a talented guy at multiple sports. But I think we can agree that all around motocross is the most difficult sport in the world. Nobody and I mean nobody can just jump into this sport and all of sudden qualify for a national. 35th-40th in either class is still a badass rider!!!
Not very good? Didnt he qualify for a 125 Supercross main or a night show? My memory is fuzzy, but I am pretty sure he did, as I recall some bet with Payton over the whole thing. He might not have been top ten material, but at age whatever he was at the time, making the night show or a main is a pretty significant accomplishment for a guy who has not dedicated his life to the sport!
troublebros
11/18/2011 9:19am
I passed him in an open practice at Mammoth once, so ha!
11/18/2011 9:24am
mxnick wrote:
Not very good? Didnt he qualify for a 125 Supercross main or a night show? My memory is fuzzy, but I am pretty sure he did...
Not very good? Didnt he qualify for a 125 Supercross main or a night show? My memory is fuzzy, but I am pretty sure he did, as I recall some bet with Payton over the whole thing. He might not have been top ten material, but at age whatever he was at the time, making the night show or a main is a pretty significant accomplishment for a guy who has not dedicated his life to the sport!
There are lots of guys that have qualified for Nationals and Supercross in the past that couldn't keep up with today's B class. Four strokes changed the game.
11/18/2011 9:40am
To sum things up, he wasn't very good. I raced him once at a local Lites Pro Race. I'm not saying I won (4th out of...
mxnick wrote:
Not very good? Didnt he qualify for a 125 Supercross main or a night show? My memory is fuzzy, but I am pretty sure he did...
Yup, he did qualify and I was there. I was standing under an umbrella trying to keep dry from the heavy rain storm that hit So Cal all week including race night. Oh yeah, basically if you rolled around and finished the race you qualified so I guess I can give him credit for that. Otherwise, YES I'm sticking with "not very good". I guess I can give him a rating of good since he can go around a motocross track and jump most everything.
For a guy who has not dedicated his life to the sport but yet was given everything in the world to succeed, I guess he did ok? But if your honest with yourself you will realize he's actually been riding for a VERY long time! It wasn't like he never rode and all of a sudden decided hey I should go try this motocross thing. That's like saying Dungey only rode the KTM for a week before he raced the Monster Energy Cup...C'mon man!
I guess I just don't like it when people give someone more credit than they deserve. Like I said, he's still very accomplished and talented. Just not in motocrossSmile
mxnick
11/18/2011 9:43am
mxnick wrote:
There are lots of guys that have qualified for Nationals and Supercross in the past that couldn't keep up with today's B class. Four strokes changed...
There are lots of guys that have qualified for Nationals and Supercross in the past that couldn't keep up with today's B class. Four strokes changed the game.
I dont understand your point as it relates to my post? Dirtcycle Rider states that Palmer wasnt that good. I refuted that point pointing out that I thought he qualified for a Supercross main event...what do four strokes have to do with it?

If a rider qualifies for a national, regardless of the era - be it 1975, 1995 or 2005, it is a significant accomplishment, and means the guy is pretty darn fast...
11/18/2011 9:51am
526 wrote:
johansen wrote:
Tell me about your achievements!
Thought this was about Shaun Palmer? Sounds like you have something to brag about? Let's hear your achievements!
Deetsmx
11/18/2011 9:52am
He was pretty decent. I remember him showing up at glen Helen on a factory Honda 250 one year. I think he qualified but broke his wrist on lap 1 or something like that. You don't qualify at glen Helen without having some pretty good speed.
mxnick
11/18/2011 9:53am
mxnick wrote:
Yup, he did qualify and I was there. I was standing under an umbrella trying to keep dry from the heavy rain storm that hit So...
Yup, he did qualify and I was there. I was standing under an umbrella trying to keep dry from the heavy rain storm that hit So Cal all week including race night. Oh yeah, basically if you rolled around and finished the race you qualified so I guess I can give him credit for that. Otherwise, YES I'm sticking with "not very good". I guess I can give him a rating of good since he can go around a motocross track and jump most everything.
For a guy who has not dedicated his life to the sport but yet was given everything in the world to succeed, I guess he did ok? But if your honest with yourself you will realize he's actually been riding for a VERY long time! It wasn't like he never rode and all of a sudden decided hey I should go try this motocross thing. That's like saying Dungey only rode the KTM for a week before he raced the Monster Energy Cup...C'mon man!
I guess I just don't like it when people give someone more credit than they deserve. Like I said, he's still very accomplished and talented. Just not in motocrossSmile
Dirt Cycle, dont take this the wrong way, but did you qualify that night, or have you qualified for main events? Maybe you have, I dont know your name, just wondering.

For most guys on this thread, just making a main event means you are a decent rider, better than most. Thats all. Your version of "not very good" is just different that mine.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/18/2011 9:58am
The fastest I saw Shaun go on a motocross bike was at Glen Helen, where he was getting some help from Team Honda (think Lusk/RC era). If I remember right, that was the year he smashed his fingers shortly after the gate dropped in the first moto, and he was unable to finish out the day.

I never got to see him snowboard in person, but spent quite a bit of time around him while he was riding for Specialized and doing the mountain bike National and World Cup events. There were occasions where you'd see some incredible stuff out of him. At one point he was winning World Cup downhill mountain bike and Snowcross events almost back-to-back.

I'm not sure what I see some people are bent on being Taters here. It's not like motocross was ever his primary deal (though he had a lot of interest in it, and showed some speed on occasion). But it was cool to see one of the best extreme athletes give it a shot.
11/18/2011 9:59am
mxnick wrote:
Yup, he did qualify and I was there. I was standing under an umbrella trying to keep dry from the heavy rain storm that hit So...
mxnick wrote:
Dirt Cycle, dont take this the wrong way, but did you qualify that night, or have you qualified for main events? Maybe you have, I dont...
Dirt Cycle, dont take this the wrong way, but did you qualify that night, or have you qualified for main events? Maybe you have, I dont know your name, just wondering.

For most guys on this thread, just making a main event means you are a decent rider, better than most. Thats all. Your version of "not very good" is just different that mine.
Good point! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jackass...but maybe I did.

Personally, I never attempted qualifying. Just raced local pro races in my off season. Look at my picture and you can see that motocross was my secondary sport.
bearded clam
11/18/2011 10:30am
mxnick wrote:
Yes he did. He also was flying on that factory Honda in qualifing at GH a while back. It didnt come easy to Palmer but when he gave it 110% he was good. He basically tore his finger off on the first moto otherwise I could have seen him in the top 10! He seemed to get discouraged fast...mabe cause he was so dominate in other sports.
bearded clam
11/18/2011 10:40am
mxnick wrote:
Dirt Cycle, dont take this the wrong way, but did you qualify that night, or have you qualified for main events? Maybe you have, I dont...

Good point! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jackass...but maybe I did. Personally, I never attempted qualifying. Just raced local pro races in my...

Personally, I never attempted qualifying. Just raced local pro races in my off season. Look at my picture and you can see that motocross was my secondary sport.
You never attempted to qualify cause moto isnt your primary sport? The Palm did and qualified. At GH he was second to Lusk in his qualifier and easily qualified.
If you factor that in with all of his other accomplishments that guy is a living legend!
Brent
11/18/2011 10:41am
GuyB wrote:
The fastest I saw Shaun go on a motocross bike was at Glen Helen, where he was getting some help from Team Honda (think Lusk/RC era)...
The fastest I saw Shaun go on a motocross bike was at Glen Helen, where he was getting some help from Team Honda (think Lusk/RC era). If I remember right, that was the year he smashed his fingers shortly after the gate dropped in the first moto, and he was unable to finish out the day.

I never got to see him snowboard in person, but spent quite a bit of time around him while he was riding for Specialized and doing the mountain bike National and World Cup events. There were occasions where you'd see some incredible stuff out of him. At one point he was winning World Cup downhill mountain bike and Snowcross events almost back-to-back.

I'm not sure what I see some people are bent on being Taters here. It's not like motocross was ever his primary deal (though he had a lot of interest in it, and showed some speed on occasion). But it was cool to see one of the best extreme athletes give it a shot.
Yea It was the 2001 GH national first moto, he hit the fence the third corner right in front of me. I think he broke a few fingers.

That guy was pretty damn good on a dirt bike, tons of natural talent.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/18/2011 10:44am
Brent wrote:
Yea It was the 2001 GH national first moto, he hit the fence the third corner right in front of me. I think he broke a...
Yea It was the 2001 GH national first moto, he hit the fence the third corner right in front of me. I think he broke a few fingers.

That guy was pretty damn good on a dirt bike, tons of natural talent.
So definitely the fault of the four-strokes. Wink
11/18/2011 10:51am
mxnick wrote:
I dont understand your point as it relates to my post? Dirtcycle Rider states that Palmer wasnt that good. I refuted that point pointing out that...
I dont understand your point as it relates to my post? Dirtcycle Rider states that Palmer wasnt that good. I refuted that point pointing out that I thought he qualified for a Supercross main event...what do four strokes have to do with it?

If a rider qualifies for a national, regardless of the era - be it 1975, 1995 or 2005, it is a significant accomplishment, and means the guy is pretty darn fast...
It was not a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke comment. It is a he never was very fast and a guy that could qualify in the 90's can't hang with the intermediates these days! I know from experience, and I have several buddies that not only qualified in the 90's and early 2000's they still place in the top 15 at Lorreta's and can't hang with half of the B class. The game has changed.

Palmer is an amazing athlete, a party animal, and past his prime. He will never be a threat for a good ride unless it is based on his celebrity.
Brent
11/18/2011 10:57am
GuyB wrote:
So definitely the fault of the four-strokes. Wink
Isn't everything??

Sideways
mxnick
11/18/2011 11:08am
mxnick wrote:
I dont understand your point as it relates to my post? Dirtcycle Rider states that Palmer wasnt that good. I refuted that point pointing out that...

It was not a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke comment. It is a he never was very fast and a guy that could qualify in the...
It was not a 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke comment. It is a he never was very fast and a guy that could qualify in the 90's can't hang with the intermediates these days! I know from experience, and I have several buddies that not only qualified in the 90's and early 2000's they still place in the top 15 at Lorreta's and can't hang with half of the B class. The game has changed.

Palmer is an amazing athlete, a party animal, and past his prime. He will never be a threat for a good ride unless it is based on his celebrity.
Uh, the dude qualified for a Supercross in the late '90's (and it was either Anaheim or LA, which are all the more competitive) and a national.

I think those two accomplishments are enough to call him pretty damn fast - at least from my perspective. It is also worth noting that the Palm was in his late 30's when he was doing this. I think he was 37 or 38 when he qualified for GH,

Not too shabby for a part timer...Also, I dont think anyone in the thread suggested he was making a comeback, as that ship has long since sailed, or that he should race today or whatever.
Sandberm
11/18/2011 11:28am
I have a lot of respect for the guy for dominating the sports he did and for giveing mx a shot.

Anybody know what he is up to these days? He must be what, 45 years old now?
11/18/2011 11:33am
mxnick wrote:

Good point! Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a jackass...but maybe I did. Personally, I never attempted qualifying. Just raced local pro races in my...

You never attempted to qualify cause moto isnt your primary sport? The Palm did and qualified. At GH he was second to Lusk in his qualifier...
You never attempted to qualify cause moto isnt your primary sport? The Palm did and qualified. At GH he was second to Lusk in his qualifier and easily qualified.
If you factor that in with all of his other accomplishments that guy is a living legend!
Wow! Someone asks me a question, which I answered respectfully and you come in with a jackass comment. Nice, I'll bet you feel good about yourself right? For people like you who are a little slower, let me go over it once more. Shaun Palmer wasn't very good at supercross, since that was what we ended up talking about. I didn't attempt Supercross but I raced many outdoor nationals. I wasn't very good at motocross either, but I was faster than him. Therefor, he wasn't fast. Regardless of what you want to argue, he wasn't very good and he did a good job proving it.

Sounds like you are one of those guys, well he almost made it. I mean if it weren't for that crash when he was riding way over his head, dude would been top 10 for sure. Seriuosly, your an idot!

Turn off your VHS tape of Terrafirma, step out back of your trailer in the desert and pound sand. I'm done wasting my 45 seconds of typing and your lame ass.
mxnick
11/18/2011 12:41pm
mxnick wrote:

You know my boy Don Odom? He was a big speedway dude...
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/18/2011 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2011 1:58pm
Wow! Someone asks me a question, which I answered respectfully and you come in with a jackass comment. Nice, I'll bet you feel good about yourself...
Wow! Someone asks me a question, which I answered respectfully and you come in with a jackass comment. Nice, I'll bet you feel good about yourself right? For people like you who are a little slower, let me go over it once more. Shaun Palmer wasn't very good at supercross, since that was what we ended up talking about. I didn't attempt Supercross but I raced many outdoor nationals. I wasn't very good at motocross either, but I was faster than him. Therefor, he wasn't fast. Regardless of what you want to argue, he wasn't very good and he did a good job proving it.

Sounds like you are one of those guys, well he almost made it. I mean if it weren't for that crash when he was riding way over his head, dude would been top 10 for sure. Seriuosly, your an idot!

Turn off your VHS tape of Terrafirma, step out back of your trailer in the desert and pound sand. I'm done wasting my 45 seconds of typing and your lame ass.
With, "To sum things up, he wasn't very good." as the first line of your first response, I'm not sure you were going for respectful right out of the box.

So you raced Shaun one time, and you've determined that he wasn't very good. Was it during a period where he was training at it and serious about it? Or did he roll out of bed that day, decide, "Hey, I think I'll go racing today," and head to the local track? There is a big difference, and Shaun's one of the few guys I know that can jump back amd forth in different sports like that. Heck, I once saw him qualify for an expert main event at a BMX national...and who knows how much prep time he put into that?
Hando
11/18/2011 1:49pm
LOL @ saying people who qualified in the 90's for nationals and mains weren't good.

Of course MX riders are getting faster..new technology, training, entensity..geez
BESTY #72
11/18/2011 2:07pm
I think the key word is: "Had". Yes, he 'has' qualified or did, whatever. But, the last time-(before this video) he was seen or heard of at a motocross track was at Glen Helen when he busted himself up, on like, the first lap. Don't get me wrong, think the dude's awesome, showing up at winter x in no gear gear and a custom painted tld lid. But, motocross is motocross. You can't jump from one thing to the other and be a complete pro. Look at MR.199.. AMA champ. Last time we saw him, he didnt qualify.

He's cool and talented. But theyre are people who are both and have devoted their entire lives into this single sport. Bet, he'd still rip, pretty much everyone on here..
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/18/2011 2:09pm
I believe Shaun & RC used to be pretty tight...
I think he lived down at RC's for a while and trained with him for a while.
I was bummed when there was a talk of him making a come back in a sense a few years back and it didn't happen.

Here is an interview Swagger did with him....
https://youtu.be/J9aXi2RR-a4

https://youtu.be/wGaVcKFxLHk

https://youtu.be/aeDlJ1YnPCs

Post a reply to: Shaun Palmer - 2008(?)

The Latest