Serious Question: Why OCT 14th?

wasummer46
With so many complaints regarding the scheduling around MXON and riders not getting enough off season. Why does the MEC have to take place in the middle of October, it essentially pro-longs the season for some. It would almost make more sense to hold this race right in the middle of training/testing time. Like say the last week of November or the first week of December. Nearly every top pro preparing for SX will be right in the middle of their next season testing and would all be curious where they stack up.

Maybe there is a specific reason that I am unaware about, hopefully someone can fill me in on the reason.
|
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 6:20am
I keep saying it should replace the vegas round of sx. It seems like the perfect event for a sx season finale. Lets be real, by the time we get to vegas, we already have a champion and most people are bored of the season.
10/9/2017 6:26am
Theirs really no other good time. I would say end of october or beggining of november would be better.
wasummer46
10/9/2017 6:27am
Acidreamer wrote:
I keep saying it should replace the vegas round of sx. It seems like the perfect event for a sx season finale. Lets be real, by...
I keep saying it should replace the vegas round of sx. It seems like the perfect event for a sx season finale. Lets be real, by the time we get to vegas, we already have a champion and most people are bored of the season.
You must have missed 2017's season finale in Vegas. I'm not sure I have seen a more exciting finish for both the 250 and 450 in a long time.
jbomx363
10/9/2017 6:30am
It's around the traditional date that the US OPEN had, basically the same race except it's not in the MGM and it's a Monster commercial race.

Gives some a chance to shake down the new bikes and some the chance to recover before the real racing begins from crashing their brains out I suppose.

There are also a lot of overseas races to fit in the schedule that some of the US riders partake in for good paydays.

The Shop

wasummer46
10/9/2017 6:48am
jbomx363 wrote:
It's around the traditional date that the US OPEN had, basically the same race except it's not in the MGM and it's a Monster commercial race...
It's around the traditional date that the US OPEN had, basically the same race except it's not in the MGM and it's a Monster commercial race.

Gives some a chance to shake down the new bikes and some the chance to recover before the real racing begins from crashing their brains out I suppose.

There are also a lot of overseas races to fit in the schedule that some of the US riders partake in for good paydays.
Which I totally understand the timing from when the US Open was held in the MGM, I attended that race once, and loved that event. But riders actually considered the US Open to be a exhibition race and never used that as an excuse to not attend the MXON.

Sorry maybe I'm still pissed riders can use this race as an arguing tool to not attend the MXON and complaining about not getting enough off season, yet we will see these same riders Saturday night?
jbomx363
10/9/2017 7:07am
wasummer46 wrote:
Which I totally understand the timing from when the US Open was held in the MGM, I attended that race once, and loved that event. But...
Which I totally understand the timing from when the US Open was held in the MGM, I attended that race once, and loved that event. But riders actually considered the US Open to be a exhibition race and never used that as an excuse to not attend the MXON.

Sorry maybe I'm still pissed riders can use this race as an arguing tool to not attend the MXON and complaining about not getting enough off season, yet we will see these same riders Saturday night?
It might..... have something to do with a possible big payday at the MEC and no pay day at the MXON.

And throw in that it's a "Monster" race and..well.. they pay their guys to show up at "their" sponsored race.
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 7:28am
Acidreamer wrote:
I keep saying it should replace the vegas round of sx. It seems like the perfect event for a sx season finale. Lets be real, by...
wasummer46 wrote:
You must have missed 2017's season finale in Vegas. I'm not sure I have seen a more exciting finish for both the 250 and 450 in...
You must have missed 2017's season finale in Vegas. I'm not sure I have seen a more exciting finish for both the 250 and 450 in a long time.
This year was the one exception... and really we kindof knew who had the 450 title already.
Motofinne
10/9/2017 7:32am
Acidreamer wrote:
wasummer46 wrote:
You must have missed 2017's season finale in Vegas. I'm not sure I have seen a more exciting finish for both the 250 and 450 in...
I'm going to quote Weege:

You pick the one year and i pick all the other years.
wasummer46
10/10/2017 11:47am
I feel like someone was reading my post.

Little quote from the article on Racer X today http://racerxonline.com/2017/10/10/bench-racing-ammo-change-it-up

Some ask, “Why mid-October for this race?” Maybe they now have a point. Peronnard used this date in 1998 to stay away from the other big money European supercrosses that dotted the globe back then. Well, those are almost all gone now with just Bercy (Paris) and Geneva left. Moving the MEC closer to Anaheim would offer a better preview for the fans and also make everyone a bit thirstier for dirt bike racing. It feels like the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship just wrapped up and the Motocross of Nations … well, it literally just did. Heck, the bench racers of the world are still arguing whether or not Team USA will ever win that event again and now they’re forced up for air to see that the MEC is happening. Could be more buzz for this race a little later into the off-season.

I had a feeling I wasn't alone thinking this.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/10/2017 11:51am
^^^ Where else would that place get their info? Whistling
Katoomey
10/10/2017 11:58am
how could you possibly give two fucks about the riders schedule? seriously? do you not have your own shit to deal with? i mean, who cares how tough their schedule is. cry me a fuckin river. I have to work all year long too. whaaaaahhhh!!!!!
10/10/2017 12:03pm
Acidreamer wrote:
wasummer46 wrote:
How awesome would that have been with a 3 moto format?
pejje
10/10/2017 12:04pm
I think they should have MEC between sx and nationals and then start nationals a couple weeks later so it lines up good with MXoN.

Having it in december was also a good idea Smile

I think it's so weird that MXoN suddenly became the bad guy scheduling wise when it is MEC that suddenly showed up at a bad timing :/
10/10/2017 12:07pm
Put the MEC after round 6-7ish and use it as the All-star game. Let 250's ride both coast's, It's pretty stupid to have a 6 week break, and if you screw the pooch in 1 event your championship is over....try the other coast.
Jt$
10/10/2017 12:25pm
Put the MEC after round 6-7ish and use it as the All-star game. Let 250's ride both coast's, It's pretty stupid to have a 6 week...
Put the MEC after round 6-7ish and use it as the All-star game. Let 250's ride both coast's, It's pretty stupid to have a 6 week break, and if you screw the pooch in 1 event your championship is over....try the other coast.
No one will risk injury for a one-off race in the middle of a series.
Jt$
10/10/2017 12:31pm
Acidreamer wrote:
We have that event already. It's in the same city also!
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
10/10/2017 12:44pm
There's 11 weeks between the Monster Cup and A1 this year. In theory if a rider were to get a minor injury (wrist/collarbone/lower leg break) they would have time to heal in 6-8 weeks and still be ready to race A1 with a couple weeks on the bike.

If it was pushed into November the season would be too close to risk racing a serious race. And I get it's an offseason race, but any race you can win a million dollars at is going to be serious. Most other offseason Supercross races pay start money and the riders are basically riding for bragging rights. Their pay day is secured already.

Also Vegas weather turns from decent in October (pool weather) to cold and windy in November. So that would sway a large percentage of crowd who go to Vegas for the pool and parties as much as for the race.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
10/10/2017 1:11pm
wasummer46 wrote:
Which I totally understand the timing from when the US Open was held in the MGM, I attended that race once, and loved that event. But...

There were the same scheduling "conflicts" around the US Open and MXdN, driven by the purse. Vetted on MT and MD at the time.
Mit12
10/10/2017 5:06pm
I am not buying the excuse of the MEC and long schedule for riders missing the MXoN. I would rather have a rider like Tomac just come out and say, I do not get paid any more to race the event and I am putting my SX season at risk if I get injured. When the smoke clears it is all about the money and what is in the riders contracts. This is a generation thing, money means more than pride of country. Make the purse for the team that wins the MXoN worth $3 million and see how many of our top guys fight to get on the team.
10/10/2017 5:22pm
Mit12 wrote:
I am not buying the excuse of the MEC and long schedule for riders missing the MXoN. I would rather have a rider like Tomac just...
I am not buying the excuse of the MEC and long schedule for riders missing the MXoN. I would rather have a rider like Tomac just come out and say, I do not get paid any more to race the event and I am putting my SX season at risk if I get injured. When the smoke clears it is all about the money and what is in the riders contracts. This is a generation thing, money means more than pride of country. Make the purse for the team that wins the MXoN worth $3 million and see how many of our top guys fight to get on the team.
I agree and this has been my theory for awhile. It's a joke that Youthstream and whoever else are obviously making money from the MXdN while the people that put on the show and make the event what it is are getting jack shit. To me it just seems like the perfect scheme, pressure the riders into racing by pulling at their patriotic strings and cash in on all the people who come out to watch all the while not giving shit to the riders.

I honestly applaud riders like Tomac who shove a big middle finger in Youthstreams face. I might be alone in thinking this way but how can "the biggest race of year" not even pay the racers??
swtwtwtw
10/10/2017 5:39pm
Any off season race is "rider's choice". I, for one, today, do not think 29 races is being overworked or a "long season". In fact, most top riders have ability to negotiate the races they attend anyhow. (Yes, they can). I like the October exhibitions and the euro sx exhibitions in November and December.
10/10/2017 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 6:26pm
Put the MEC after round 6-7ish and use it as the All-star game. Let 250's ride both coast's, It's pretty stupid to have a 6 week...
Jt$ wrote:
No one will risk injury for a one-off race in the middle of a series.
Obviously make it count in the points. They count Daytona.

Post a reply to: Serious Question: Why OCT 14th?

The Latest