Seperated Shoulder

yzjs7
3/19/2014 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2015 4:19am
Who here has one? I do, "no surgery / stage 3" and it's been a little over a year since I did it. Other than the bone sticking up and some crackle pops in it I wouldnt even know I had it.
|
Socket946
3/19/2014 7:31pm
Sounds painful!

Get your motor back yet?
trailhopper
3/19/2014 7:33pm
Bet it was your right shoulder.......while watching Bubba vids......
Socket946
3/19/2014 7:34pm
Bet it was your right shoulder.......while watching Bubba vids......
rmzrider91
I had/have a stage 3 from about a year and a half ago. Didn't have surgery, doesn't bother me much. There are a few angles I have got into where it is pretty painful still. Also have caught the end of the bone that's sticking up on the door frame of my car when I reached into it. That was about 2 mins of some intense pain!

The Shop

mxb2
Socket946 wrote:
Sounds painful!

Get your motor back yet?
lol, funny how that topic is avoided.
yzjs7
3/19/2014 7:46pm
Motors coming soon actually. Yes it is my right shoulder. Seat bounced up and over the bars a year ago. My shoulder doesnt have any pain. Rmz did you keep your arm in a sling for a few weeks? I do stretch mine everyday til I hear it pop but ya no pain. When I stretch it I do hear crackling.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/19/2014 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 7:51pm
Yeah, I'm with the guys. I too have a stage 3 separation from 4-5 years ago which aside for keeping me from sleeping on my right side doesn't bother me too much. I can notice at the end of long ride days it's sore, and especially the next day is tender but nothing I would have surgically repaired. I wish I would have left my ACL completely torn instead of having the surgery...... So I would never have my shoulder fixed
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
3/19/2014 7:51pm
had 15 of them and 2 operations on the shoulder, have not had an issue for 5 years since the last full operation,

mine was bad, and it would pop out very easily, (rolling over in bed the wrong way would do it) and very hard to put back in, (normally sedation required to put it back in)
Old-Man
3/19/2014 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 7:58pm
yzjs7 wrote:
Who here has one? I do, "no surgery / stage 3" and it's been a little over a year since I did it. Other than the...
Who here has one? I do, "no surgery / stage 3" and it's been a little over a year since I did it. Other than the bone sticking up and some crackle pops in it I wouldnt even know I had it.
Thought your bike was in the MX shop of Hell?

Wow, Nevermind...I am still lost though.
Probably a softy from berth is my guess
yzjs7
3/19/2014 7:56pm
15!!!!!!!!!!! not dislocated but seperated? MXking im confused by the end of your post. You tore your acl in your knee and had fixed? Damn I can sleep on my shoulder without even noticing it. When I rode with my shoulder brace on it feels sore so I stopped wearing it. I just worry about falling on it, being that the bone sticks up and would make a direct impact.
JW381
3/19/2014 8:00pm
I dislocated mine three times before getting surgery. It's been good but I'll never have the same range of motion. Makes lifting weights hard. I have three anchors and I think I might have actually popped one out recently.. too scared to go get an X-ray.
SwapperMX
3/19/2014 8:04pm
yzjs7 wrote:
Motors coming soon actually. Yes it is my right shoulder. Seat bounced up and over the bars a year ago. My shoulder doesnt have any pain...
Motors coming soon actually. Yes it is my right shoulder. Seat bounced up and over the bars a year ago. My shoulder doesnt have any pain. Rmz did you keep your arm in a sling for a few weeks? I do stretch mine everyday til I hear it pop but ya no pain. When I stretch it I do hear crackling.
Is there really no pain in your shoulder, or do you just handle the pain so well because you take cold showers ??
Old-Man
3/19/2014 8:11pm
Crashed at RED-Bud and my Deltoid Lateral had torn. It took 9 years before the pain had gone away. glad I was young because that type of injury takes awhile to heal. I was/stayed healthy and worked out on a daily basis but still took forever to heal.

hvaughn88
3/19/2014 8:13pm
Stage 4 a couple years ago. Surgery and had a plate and screws to help heal. Surgery to get it removed about 6 months later. Nasty scar and a bump. Had quite a bit of Atrophy but I'd say I'm back to full strength. Still hurts to do certain things and range of motion is a little limited still
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
3/19/2014 8:15pm
yzjs7 wrote:
15!!!!!!!!!!! not dislocated but seperated? MXking im confused by the end of your post. You tore your acl in your knee and had fixed? Damn I...
15!!!!!!!!!!! not dislocated but seperated? MXking im confused by the end of your post. You tore your acl in your knee and had fixed? Damn I can sleep on my shoulder without even noticing it. When I rode with my shoulder brace on it feels sore so I stopped wearing it. I just worry about falling on it, being that the bone sticks up and would make a direct impact.
dont really know the difference between seperated and dislocated, but it took trips to the hospital to put it back in,

I did it riding the first time, and a number of ways after that, got it fixed though key hole surgery and it was good for a year then i wrecked it again wakeboarding, then it went back to being bad again, a full open surgery fixed it for good,

my shoulder surgeon explained that it was a poor design from the factory,
rmzrider91
3/19/2014 8:19pm
I think a few are getting dislocated and separated confused. I was in a sling for id say 3 or 4 weeks and didn't work for alittle longer then that. Got right back to riding and never had any problems with it riding. I can sleep on that side just fine, feels weird sometimes but not painful unless laying on that side on a hard surface where the end of the bone actually hits the ground. I also tore my ACL a year ago and knee hasn't been the same since. Still recovering and building up strength.
Outsider
3/19/2014 8:19pm
SwapperMX wrote:
Is there really no pain in your shoulder, or do you just handle the pain so well because you take cold showers ??
Not cold... warm
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/19/2014 8:27pm
I guess my point was I wish I would have just left my knee alone after going through the whole surgery/reconstruction/rehab..... So on my separated shoulder.... I'm for sure leaving it
EddieC
3/19/2014 8:28pm
Get it fixed! Separated shoulders are one of those injuries that doctors don't want to fix. The latest research shows that by not getting it fixed you increase your risks of further damaging the shoulder joint. If the ball joints in your car are in need of repair and you neglected fixing them how much further damage would that potentially cause to your car? How would it effect the performance? Your body performs at it's best when its anatomically correct.
hillbilly
3/19/2014 8:30pm
Yeah,twice.

I have broken over 20 bones,in that many crashes,been tbru the ER over 30 times i guess,never counted,

35 yrs of mx,you can count on one a year.,So,if you need advice,I prolly broke it.

My first shoulder,a guy landed on me after i was down,he ignored the yellow.

Broke my collarbone,blade,upperarm,ripped the joint.

8 weeks in a recliner,1st race back rebroke the collarbone.

2nd go ,crashed hard on same shoulder eh,14 yrs later,could not lift the arm.

Both times I rigged a pulley in the ceiling to lift the bad arm with the good.

All thru the range of motion,that way it dont scar down.

If you're gonna be stupid you better be tuff.
hvaughn88
3/19/2014 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2014 8:34pm
MxKing809 wrote:
I guess my point was I wish I would have just left my knee alone after going through the whole surgery/reconstruction/rehab..... So on my separated shoulder...
I guess my point was I wish I would have just left my knee alone after going through the whole surgery/reconstruction/rehab..... So on my separated shoulder.... I'm for sure leaving it
I would think if it's even an option than no surgery is way to go. I had no choice, mine was so bad my arm and shoulder weren't even functional. You'll know of you need surgery or not. And by the way, the surgery and recovery was pretty brutal.

Edit: I should rephrase my first statement. I don't neccesarily think that no surgery is the way to go, I just know the surgery was not a good experience. It was successful and the doctor did a great job...but it was brutal
hillbilly
3/19/2014 8:32pm
EddieC wrote:
Get it fixed! Separated shoulders are one of those injuries that doctors don't want to fix. The latest research shows that by not getting it fixed...
Get it fixed! Separated shoulders are one of those injuries that doctors don't want to fix. The latest research shows that by not getting it fixed you increase your risks of further damaging the shoulder joint. If the ball joints in your car are in need of repair and you neglected fixing them how much further damage would that potentially cause to your car? How would it effect the performance? Your body performs at it's best when its anatomically correct.
Eh,I would not, I can still throw a rock pretty good.
rmzrider91
3/19/2014 8:38pm
EddieC wrote:
Get it fixed! Separated shoulders are one of those injuries that doctors don't want to fix. The latest research shows that by not getting it fixed...
hillbilly wrote:
My doc said if I really wanted it surgery was optional but not necessary. He said for example a baseball player would want it because of that motion but that the recovery/rehab was a long drawn out thing. Which I have now experienced with the ACL. I cant quite throw a ball like I once could but I'm not complaining
hvaughn88
3/19/2014 8:43pm
EddieC wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
rmzrider91 wrote:
My doc said if I really wanted it surgery was optional but not necessary. He said for example a baseball player would want it because of...
My doc said if I really wanted it surgery was optional but not necessary. He said for example a baseball player would want it because of that motion but that the recovery/rehab was a long drawn out thing. Which I have now experienced with the ACL. I cant quite throw a ball like I once could but I'm not complaining
I guess a lot of it can depend on the result you want to get. In my case, I'm still pretty young, active in a ton of other things and throw the ball with my son quite a bit, so the last thing I wanted was limited range of motion. So in hindsight, I guess I'm actually proving to myself that it was worth it after all, haha
hillbilly
3/19/2014 9:02pm
hillbilly wrote:
rmzrider91 wrote:
My doc said if I really wanted it surgery was optional but not necessary. He said for example a baseball player would want it because of...
hvaughn88 wrote:
I guess a lot of it can depend on the result you want to get. In my case, I'm still pretty young, active in a ton...
I guess a lot of it can depend on the result you want to get. In my case, I'm still pretty young, active in a ton of other things and throw the ball with my son quite a bit, so the last thing I wanted was limited range of motion. So in hindsight, I guess I'm actually proving to myself that it was worth it after all, haha
Gotta do what you gotta do.

Doctors will tell you anything and everthing.

Broke my neck in 03,c3,4, laid in the dirt,unable to move anything,looking at my hand twitch uncontrollable,breathing getting weird,

Was totally paralysed,got dropped by emts,slammed headfirst at the bottom of my drive when they stopped,head shut in the door of the heli,

Walkied,well,shuffled out of the hospital 7 days later.

Doc told me 99% die on the spot the other 1% wither away.

Got back on track in 08 when i cut a deal to ride for a local honda shop,bought the bike for a dime,won more races.

Yeah,doctors,,,,,,,,,,,
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/19/2014 9:19pm
I do all my own surgeries. My grandma went to the hospital once and they killed her.
hillbilly
3/19/2014 9:45pm
disbanded wrote:
I do all my own surgeries. My grandma went to the hospital once and they killed her.
You're core.
yzjs7
3/19/2014 10:33pm
Ya mine is ugly looking for sure. I just turned 30 so I'm still young. If I wreck on it and do more damage I'm sure I'll have to have surgery. Dean Wilson was telling me he had both shoulders seperated. Darryn Durham said he did his. I have full range of motion but knowing I'm "broken" bothers me.
JW381
3/19/2014 10:35pm
yzjs7 wrote:
15!!!!!!!!!!! not dislocated but seperated? MXking im confused by the end of your post. You tore your acl in your knee and had fixed? Damn I...
scott_nz wrote:
dont really know the difference between seperated and dislocated, but it took trips to the hospital to put it back in, I did it riding the...
dont really know the difference between seperated and dislocated, but it took trips to the hospital to put it back in,

I did it riding the first time, and a number of ways after that, got it fixed though key hole surgery and it was good for a year then i wrecked it again wakeboarding, then it went back to being bad again, a full open surgery fixed it for good,

my shoulder surgeon explained that it was a poor design from the factory,
Separating (from my WebMD knowledge) is when the ball basically hyper-extends out of the socket, stretching or even tearing a ligament, but then goes back on it's own. So it just kinda falls out of it's place but doesn't dislocate. If that makes sense.

I hated having my shoulder pop out. It hurt, but it just felt weird and you have to kinda hunch over to take the pressure off the muscle which puts strain on your neck and upper back. First time I did it I was complaining about that neck stress and the track medic freaked out and called an ambulance.

2/3 times the doc put me under to set it back in place because the muscles had tightened up so much, but one doc didn't - THAT was the weirdest feeling on earth. It was like busting a nut when it went back in tho, instant relief. Then the pain pills. I wish I could have just broken a bone like a normal person though, it really makes lifting weights or any kind of physical activity that involves shoulder movement above my shoulder line pretty difficult and uncomfortable. Don't even get me started on jacking off, my switch hitting days are over.
3/19/2014 10:36pm
First doctor told me that I didn't need surgery. Second opinion (very respected sports surgeon) said, "you don't need surgery only if you never plan on doing anything with that arm again." (All ligaments were completely torn.) He used donor parts, drilled holes and tied everything back together. Highsided on a step up a couple of years later, landed on the shoulder, and it seemed to hold okay. Motion is about 85%.

Post a reply to: Seperated Shoulder

The Latest