Seized oil drain bolt

IWreckALot
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2015 8:49pm
I bought my bike a year or so ago. Turns out the previous owner tightened the oil drain bolt on with an impact wrench and some locktite. Just a guess from how tight the bolt is. I'm tired of changing the oil from the clutch case. I've tried everything I know on the bolt.

2013 YZ250 2 stroke. Aluminum case and metal bolt I believe.

1 - Rounded the head with the 12MM socket
2 - Went and bought some grip-all sockets - didn't work
3 - Tried cutting a straight slot strip to get a screwdriver in there.
4 - I used a reverse drillbit and it broke off in the center. Drilling the middle out is no longer an option unless anyone else has an idea of how to get the bit out.

I'm to the point that I want to try to tack weld a new bolt to the old one, to try to get a head on the bolt. I'm a bit nervous about cracking the case with the heat. Anyone ever do this? If I just tack a new bolt to the seized bolt and don't hold the welder on for longer than a second at a time, let it cool between tacking each side, is there enough heat there to compromise the case? Seems like it might be alright if I'm not just beading the bolt all the way around but just wanted to get a collective opinion.

I'm not looking to hold anyone responsible, just looking to see if anyone has gone this route.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/23/2015 7:35am
I would say you'll be fine. Like you said, don't put a huge bead on it, and take your time. Maybe put a tack on and walk away for 30 minutes, do a second then give it a try breaking it loose. The heat from the welder will help with the loctite too. IMO, your only other option is to drill the bolt all the way through, heat up the surrounding case with a little torch and use an easy out.

Good luck!
1/23/2015 7:36am
shoulda....
heated up the cases to soften the lockee tite....
then hammer on an 11 mm socket...the smacking helps shock the threads loose...
then twist out offending bolt.....
Titan1
1/23/2015 7:39am
If it's an aluminum case and metal bolt, if he used an impact wrench wouldn't it have stripped out the threads before it got tight enough that you couldn't get it done (I've stripped them out before with a wrench so an impact wrench would blow through the threads like nothing). What likely happened was the old owner stripped out the threads and then dumped a bunch of loctite on the bolt to keep it in there and not leak....

Isn't a bit of heat the best way to deal with loctite heat? You don't want to make it glow red or anything, but have you put a bit of heat to it?

(Maybe it's to late for that since the bolt is already stripped and you have to deal with that...)

IWreckALot
1/23/2015 7:42am
Alright, when I ground the welder to the bike, do I need to be concerned about any electrical components on the bike? Maybe just disconnect the ECU or is that no concern?

Dazz, I've already tried the "smacking" thing as hard as I am comfortable with. I really don't want to compromise the case. The bolt is rounded off.

And I probably shouldn't have said loctite. I'm not sure what they've done but the bolt is stuck on the bike like moss on a Mississippi tree stump.

The Shop

1/23/2015 7:45am
IWreckALot wrote:
Alright, when I ground the welder to the bike, do I need to be concerned about any electrical components on the bike? Maybe just disconnect the...
Alright, when I ground the welder to the bike, do I need to be concerned about any electrical components on the bike? Maybe just disconnect the ECU or is that no concern?

Dazz, I've already tried the "smacking" thing as hard as I am comfortable with. I really don't want to compromise the case. The bolt is rounded off.

And I probably shouldn't have said loctite. I'm not sure what they've done but the bolt is stuck on the bike like moss on a Mississippi tree stump.
take your electronics off the bike...safest way.....
you don't need to be spending another cpl hundred to try and save a few minutes....
CamP
In the future, buy a set of 6-point sockets. They will save you similar headaches.

BTW, even though I've been wrenching on bikes since 1973, I always use a torque wrench on oil drain bolts.
crf250pilot
We run into this alot at my shop. We normally resort to tacking a nut over the bolt and then loosening it immediately while it's still hot.
Good luck with the threads, Most likely they cross threaded your bolt and just kept cranking it in until it stopped leaking.
IWreckALot
1/23/2015 7:46am
I've read that these bolts seize regularly and the bolt head didn't look wasted when I first bought it so I don't think there was any intentional force used. I think it's just really tight in the threads.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
1/23/2015 7:46am
Ground it to your footpeg and disconnect your ECU. That's what I always do.
tzmike
1/23/2015 8:23am
Loctite- Heat the case with Propane torch. Thats all u need. Loctite melts, then out it comes if the only reason it is tight is the Loctite. If u stripped the bolt head, then your welding a nut on it, then u'll have to do the propane torch to still heat the bolt unless the welding heat was enuff where u can Immediately jump on the newly welded on nut while its still hot..
rcannon
1/23/2015 8:52am
You have to heat it. Be careful as that case of the yz is pretty weak anyway. I remember several guys who broke the case when using a torque wrench.
1/23/2015 9:07am
Heat and a pipe wrench . Heat the bolt and the cases around it then apply a pipe wrench then hit the pipe wrench with a hammer.
Bruce372
1/23/2015 9:16am
call bolt motorcycle hardware and order up a 20 pack of the aluminum oil drain bolt washers, I use them 2 times before I throw them away. it really helps not causing these problems.

good luck!
resetjet
1/23/2015 9:18am
Depends on how hardened that reverse bit is. I have had luck with hardened bolts by using a blue granite bit from lowes made for drilling stone. Not sure it would cut through that bit but worth a try.

When I have a tight bolt, the first thing I do is smack it on the top with a hammer. This loosens the threads. Heat also of course.

nc97
1/23/2015 9:30am
cheapsmack wrote:
Heat and a pipe wrench . Heat the bolt and the cases around it then apply a pipe wrench then hit the pipe wrench with a...
Heat and a pipe wrench . Heat the bolt and the cases around it then apply a pipe wrench then hit the pipe wrench with a hammer.
I am with this guy... A good pipe wrench will take it off.. Probably have to pull the engine out to get the wrench on it ...That's the way I would do it.
IWreckALot
1/23/2015 10:17am
The way the bolt is mangled at this point, I wouldn't be able to get a wrench on the bolt even if it was out of the case.

And I shouldn't have said anything about loctite. I was just trying to say that that bolt was stuck and not budging. I don't believe there is any loctite for real.

I'm going to try to tack a nut on the head of the bolt, heat the case with a heat gun and get it off that way.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/23/2015 10:19am
Where I work requires me to be a bolt removing ninja.

I use a combo of washers and nuts welded to the head or broken off head, worst case being a flush stud in the case.

100% of the time I TIG weld to eliminate weld splatter and have total control of heat deliver in the parts.

Like others said, the heat will loosen any thread locker and it should come right out. BUT. Do not just spin it out, work it counter and clockwise back and forth. Walk it out similar to tapping a hole.

The expansion rates of the dissimilar metals will help in the removal because the aluminum will expand faster than your steel fastener.
gt80rider
1/23/2015 11:18am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 11:19am
shoulda.... heated up the cases to soften the lockee tite.... then hammer on an 11 mm socket...the smacking helps shock the threads loose... then twist out...
shoulda....
This is the correct answer... Works line a charm for this purpose... Also comes in handy when you lose the key to your car's locking lugnut, beat on a socket, then wrench it off...
gt80rider
1/23/2015 11:26am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 11:27am
IWreckALot wrote:
Alright, when I ground the welder to the bike, do I need to be concerned about any electrical components on the bike? Maybe just disconnect the...

You arent just smacking the rounded off bolt head, you are smacking it by forcing on a socket that is slightly too small but will fit when beat/forced over the stripped head... You will be throwing away the drain bolt and socket afterwards because you wont be able to get them apart, but who cares as the bolt head was f'ed anyways.... No welding needed and takes all of a minute to do..
TeamGreen
1/23/2015 11:43am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2015 7:24am
If all else fails...You can remove the engine & take it to a machinist.

They can get it out...one way or another.

When you get it out: Put an insert in there.
IWreckALot
1/23/2015 11:46am
IWreckALot wrote:

gt80rider wrote:
You arent just smacking the rounded off bolt head, you are smacking it by forcing on a socket that is slightly too small but will fit...
You arent just smacking the rounded off bolt head, you are smacking it by forcing on a socket that is slightly too small but will fit when beat/forced over the stripped head... You will be throwing away the drain bolt and socket afterwards because you wont be able to get them apart, but who cares as the bolt head was f'ed anyways.... No welding needed and takes all of a minute to do..
I've tried beating another socket onto the top and the head was too mangled. It just rounded it off even further. I may not have been doing it right but it definitely won't work as of right now. I must have deleted the photo that I had of it because it isn't on my phone. I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it.
casper
1/23/2015 12:12pm
I did battle with a swing arm adjuster bolt so I know exactly what you are going through. I had the same problem with the head breaking off and having the drill bit break inside the bolt and here is what I did.

1. Get some high quality drill bits, not harbour freight ones. I got 2 packs of 1/16 and one or 2 more sizes to step up.
2. If you can, drill the left and the right of the broken drill bit. It's OK to angle the drill bit into the center as long as you dont poke through the other side, just don't go to deep.
3. Take a punch or a flat blade screw driver and try to hit the broken part of the bit from side to side to loosen it up. If that works you can keep trying with bigger bits or try to extract the bolt with the screwdriver and a wrench.
4. If you can't get the bit out, try smacking it with a punch. Drill bits are brittle and you might be able crack the bit into smaller pieces that will fall out.

This is how I got the broken bit out. The key is to use new, sharp bits and as soon as it feels a little dull, change it out.
G-man
1/23/2015 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 1:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
If all else fails...You can remove the engine & take it to a machinist. They can get it out...one way or another. When you get it...
If all else fails...You can remove the engine & take it to a machinist.

They can get it out...one way or another.

When you get it out: Put an insert in there.
I agree with Team Green.
Safest way and 2-stroke engines are cake to remove.
philG
1/23/2015 1:49pm
shoulda.... heated up the cases to soften the lockee tite.... then hammer on an 11 mm socket...the smacking helps shock the threads loose... then twist out...
shoulda....
this
yamahuh
1/23/2015 1:52pm
flip the bike over and use a pipe wrench.
Crush
1/23/2015 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 1:52pm
What the fuck is wrong with people? An impact wrench? What's the torque spec on that bolt meant to be. Like 17 with a copper crush washer or something?
IWreckALot
1/23/2015 2:18pm
Crush wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with people? An impact wrench? What's the torque spec on that bolt meant to be. Like 17 with a copper crush...
What the fuck is wrong with people? An impact wrench? What's the torque spec on that bolt meant to be. Like 17 with a copper crush washer or something?
I think they were saying to use it in reverse. Not to put the bolt back in.

Post a reply to: Seized oil drain bolt

The Latest