Sean Collier getting blacklisted?

nytsmaC
9/22/2015 8:42am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2015 10:30am
I saw that he had been dropped by FMF and Fasthouse, presumably as a reaction to his Spectrum series episode where he spoke candidly about how chasing the dream in motocross is a rough road for most and comes with a lot of sufferage..

It seems to be a not so well hidden secret that this controversial video series has ruffled some feathers and caused shit to roll down hill. If FMF and Fasthouse were pressured into doing this from above, that really sucks for Sean. Riders should be encouraged to speak the truth, good or bad, and rather than trying to cover up the problems in the sport maybe they could be addressed instead.

I feel bad for Sean, he did nothing wrong but it seems like everyone is expected to just shut up and tow the line?

I hope this thread doesn't get yarded, let's try to keep it clean and not leave a reason for it to be snuffed. It would only validate the consipracy theorists.
|
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
9/22/2015 8:46am
It does suck but in the end, you're better off with people/company who believe in you. Bills Pipe picked him up
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
9/22/2015 8:48am
seth505 wrote:
It does suck but in the end, you're better off with people/company who believe in you. Bills Pipe picked him up
That's good that Bill's picked him up..I still need to watch the video,must be good.
500guy
9/22/2015 8:49am
it's business, Sean has a real job , should not be a big deal.
MX Culture
9/22/2015 8:53am
Where can we find this series?
Unaware of it.

The Shop

montesagold
9/22/2015 9:02am
No shit! In wouldnt surprise me with some of the others, but those two companies? He wasnt directly speaking down about any one. Just the beast of a problem the industry created. FMF and Fasthouse were there helping him defy the vicious circle and at least "have fun" and keep a good thing going. Its a damn shame.
jeffro503
9/22/2015 9:05am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 9:05am
I think a lot of this will blow over , possibly a knee-jerk reaction of some type. SC is an awesome dude and I think most everyone knows that. He spoke his mind and if some companies don't want to work with him , there will be others who will gladly step in. Look at all the crap J-law went through and said. Wishing Sean the best and hope he keeps speaking his mind.
hvaughn88
9/22/2015 9:07am
The irony of dropping him is kind of interesting. In a way, couldn't you take that as validation for what he was talking about? Or it could just be business, who knows. As they say, there's always 3 sides to every story.
mx836
9/22/2015 9:12am
I haven't even watched the video, but I probably won't buy any more fasthouse products.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 9:15am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 9:16am
nytsmaC wrote:
I saw that he had been dropped by FMF and Fasthouse, presumably as a reaction to his Spectrum series episode where he spoke candidly about how...
I saw that he had been dropped by FMF and Fasthouse, presumably as a reaction to his Spectrum series episode where he spoke candidly about how chasing the dream in motocross is a rough road for most and comes with a lot of sufferage..

It seems to be a not so well hidden secret that this controversial video series has ruffled some feathers and caused shit to roll down hill. If FMF and Fasthouse were pressured into doing this from above, that really sucks for Sean. Riders should be encouraged to speak the truth, good or bad, and rather than trying to cover up the problems in the sport maybe they could be addressed instead.

I feel bad for Sean, he did nothing wrong but it seems like everyone is expected to just shut up and tow the line?

I hope this thread doesn't get yarded, let's try to keep it clean and not leave a reason for it to be snuffed. It would only validate the consipracy theorists.
From above? Who? God?

Sean races Nationals occasionally. What purpose would there be for any promoter or manufacturer to pressure sponsors to drop him?

Use a little common sense.

I have heard of sponsors dropping him. But that's on them.
montesagold
9/22/2015 9:16am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 9:18am
Please don't compare him to JLaw in any way. Just don't cheapen Collier like that.
Regardless to the 3rd side of the story, this sucks. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist by no means but it make you wonder who all these companies owe allegiance to. You dont really think a company like FMF would think statements like that were bad for business? maybe...
Roostermx58
9/22/2015 9:16am
mx836 wrote:
I haven't even watched the video, but I probably won't buy any more fasthouse products.
What about FMF?
nytsmaC
9/22/2015 9:19am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 9:20am
nytsmaC wrote:
I saw that he had been dropped by FMF and Fasthouse, presumably as a reaction to his Spectrum series episode where he spoke candidly about how...

GuyB wrote:
From above? Who? God? Sean races Nationals occasionally. What purpose would there be for any promoter or manufacturer to pressure sponsors to drop him? Use a...
From above? Who? God?

Sean races Nationals occasionally. What purpose would there be for any promoter or manufacturer to pressure sponsors to drop him?

The man upstairs Laughing

Steve you seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things moto, surely you know who the key players are that are upset by this video series and seem to be desperate to squash it..

If you can't comment on it I certainly understand and didn't expect you to.
DE262
9/22/2015 9:23am
You have to look at it from an average Joe's perspective.

-They think you're already half nuts because you race bikes
-You talk about the touchy part of the sport that sucks in almost every sport- parent over-involvement
-Every time you see the guy it says "FASTHOUSE/FMF" across his chest
-He's wearing a fasthouse t-shirt in the interview

What impression does this leave for the uninformed?
I can see where this would be bad for business.

I dig Sean and his whole deal, I'm a fan. It sucks that this is how it went down, but shit man!

Every sport has an ugly side that needs to be exposed.

Ultimately it was Sean's choice to voice his opinion on a pretty loud platform...
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/22/2015 9:26am
nytsmaC wrote:
The man upstairs :laugh: Steve you seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things moto, surely you know who the key players are...

Steve you seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things moto, surely you know who the key players are that are upset by this video series and seem to be desperate to squash it..

Desperate to squash it? Oh brother.

You know what I've noticed about most "rebels" that I've run across in the past? They spend just about zero time touting their rebel status, and pointing out how "rebel" they are. People will figure it out on their own.
Ryno429
9/22/2015 9:26am
nytsmaC wrote:

where did you see fast house left him...
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
9/22/2015 9:27am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 10:18am
I didn't see the whole episode, just the trailer linked above, but it seems like his issues are with his Dad and that is not unique to motocross. That is an epidemic in all sports. It sucks that his Dad ruined his enjoyment of the sport, but he comes across a little douchey. I don't have a problem with sponsors deciding he is not the right guy to promote their business.
Bearuno
9/22/2015 9:29am
I find it hard to believe he was given the hoick from FMF and Fasthouse over the Spectrum video. Really - those 2 companies being offended by reality?

Strange indeed if it's the case. I just checked, and Fasthouse still has videos of him up.

Maybe it's just things moving on, and him getting a deal / help from another company.

FMF and Fasthouse getting all 'butthurt' over a bloke that projects a great image and says how things are - well, maybe it keys in with the , seemingly, tendency for being butthurt over things that don't heap unending praise on all things US, like the threads pissing on about Malin here, and any poster here that thinks there are other series / racers that are great, instead of just the US series / Riders?
nytsmaC
9/22/2015 9:35am
nytsmaC wrote:

Ryno429 wrote:
where did you see fast house left him...
Over on the proride board. I was surprised to learn of it as I was under the impression that they were the type of company who would be proud to be associated with someone who isn't towing the line, yet isn't doing anything wrong either.
mx_563
9/22/2015 9:38am
I enjoy drama and conspiracy theories as much as the next vitard but let me play devil’s advocate here….

If you build an aftermarket performance product, your marketing plan is likely going to focus around winning/performance/results/etc. “Buy our product and your results will improve”, or something to that affect.

So why would you hire a spokesperson who’s out there telling the world that results are over-rated?

I don’t know, just a thought. Please keep in mind that I like Sean and enjoyed the video. I’m trying to think outside the vital-box.
9/22/2015 9:46am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 9:48am
nytsmaC wrote:
The man upstairs :laugh: Steve you seem to have your finger on the pulse of most things moto, surely you know who the key players are...

GuyB wrote:
Desperate to squash it? Oh brother. You know what I've noticed about most "rebels" that I've run across in the past? They spend just about zero...
Desperate to squash it? Oh brother.

You know what I've noticed about most "rebels" that I've run across in the past? They spend just about zero time touting their rebel status, and pointing out how "rebel" they are. People will figure it out on their own.
Wow GuyB- he phrased his question in a very respectful way and you pretty much hammered him for even raising it.

I guess people will "figure it out on their own" because I don't imagine there will be any moto journalism done on by VItal or anybody else, except maybe MXA.

(oops, well I see I logged in with my old handle).
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
9/22/2015 10:26am
GuyB wrote:
From above? Who? God? Sean races Nationals occasionally. What purpose would there be for any promoter or manufacturer to pressure sponsors to drop him? Use a...
From above? Who? God?

The guy behind the video series claims DC is threatening folks with lifetime bans over the videos. If you haven't already, grab some popcorn and a tinfoil hat and check out the proride thread. They have a very loose grasp on the concept of free speech over there.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
9/22/2015 10:32am
There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes and some people seem to be screwing him but FMF actually didn't pull away from him. Actually quite opposite. Lil D heard something about it and said "wtf?? We aren't dropping him" But there is some shitty stuff going on with another sponsor of his. Sean will be ok in the end. He's a great guy, great dad and a great rider.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
9/22/2015 10:54am
GuyB wrote:
From above? Who? God?

GrapeApe wrote:
The guy behind the video series claims DC is threatening folks with lifetime bans over the videos. If you haven't already, grab some popcorn and a...
The guy behind the video series claims DC is threatening folks with lifetime bans over the videos. If you haven't already, grab some popcorn and a tinfoil hat and check out the proride thread. They have a very loose grasp on the concept of free speech over there.
What's not to grasp? I think people get it (I hope).

Free speech is great but there can be consequences. I don't think any major for Sean in the long run, the consequences might have worse effect on other people involved imo.
GD2
Fantasy
854th
9/22/2015 10:59am
That sucks, and I've lost a little bit of respect for Fasthouse and FMF. Any word on what gear he'll be wearing now?
hooyah619
9/22/2015 11:05am
Sean is a tough dude and isn't scared. The backlash from this is laughable. Anyone that was national level fast on the amateur level knows this was happening and continues to happen.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
9/22/2015 11:08am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 11:09am
seth505 wrote:
What's not to grasp? I think people get it (I hope). Free speech is great but there can be consequences. I don't think any major for...

Free speech is great but there can be consequences. I don't think any major for Sean in the long run, the consequences might have worse effect on other people involved imo.
There was a lot of talk about his right to free speech being violated. Unless the government is prosecuting him for what he said, his right to free speech is not being violated. He is free to say what he wants, and others are free to not associate with him. Although there seems to be some confusion on what sponsors actually left. I wonder why they just don't come out and name the companies?
gpracer36
9/22/2015 11:11am
seth505 wrote:
What's not to grasp? I think people get it (I hope). Free speech is great but there can be consequences. I don't think any major for...

GrapeApe wrote:
There was a lot of talk about his right to free speech being violated. Unless the government is prosecuting him for what he said, his right...
There was a lot of talk about his right to free speech being violated. Unless the government is prosecuting him for what he said, his right to free speech is not being violated. He is free to say what he wants, and others are free to not associate with him. Although there seems to be some confusion on what sponsors actually left. I wonder why they just don't come out and name the companies?
I agree, why is it so secretive as to who dropped him? Seems nobody will come out and say it.

Post a reply to: Sean Collier getting blacklisted?

The Latest