Say Goodbye to MX VS. ATV

lopez130
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:45pm
|
paul937
Fantasy
415th
8/9/2011 7:34pm
WOW!! That sucks, I hope everyone lands on their feet! Lot's of good guys worked there.

Major bummer.

Paul
JW381
8/9/2011 7:37pm
Sucks for the people involved, but I saw this coming. Fuckin THQ... when it was just rainbow, things were looking up for sure. I'm assuming this means no supercross?
MX Culture
8/9/2011 7:43pm
Just talked to Chris R. and he already landed at Race Tech in the marketing dept.
Real bummer, the Phoenix group at Rainbow seemed to on the gas back in February when they had the open house Friday before the SX.
njracer46
8/9/2011 7:44pm
Haven't played that game in 3 months so won't really miss it. What do they mean by dead? Can you play it still on xbox live or just no more updates?

The Shop

paul937
Fantasy
415th
8/9/2011 7:53pm
MX Culture wrote:
Just talked to Chris R. and he already landed at Race Tech in the marketing dept. Real bummer, the Phoenix group at Rainbow seemed to on...
Just talked to Chris R. and he already landed at Race Tech in the marketing dept.
Real bummer, the Phoenix group at Rainbow seemed to on the gas back in February when they had the open house Friday before the SX.
I had heard that about Chris recently too Dave, now it definitely makes sense!!

Paul
bama205
8/9/2011 7:56pm
there is SX... two tracks. lexington and i forget the other... concord?
kx254f
8/9/2011 7:57pm
They aren't calling the game "dead" just yet. It might be on hiatus. They also said they aren't focusing on the kids stuff anymore. I'm thinking that it is possible that they realized that MX vs. ATV Reflex started to bring in a lot more of an older crowd to the game and the kid stuff was bogus in the adult's eyes. Not sure what they were thinking when they spent so much time/money changing the game with Alive...

Maybe when things settle, they will re-look at the game and try to make it more realistic. They said that they are "focused on delivering high-quality games with talented teams" in the article and that's exactly what the game needs if it's going to survive. Hopefully in a couple of years that is what we'll get.
moto282
8/9/2011 8:10pm
Sorry to hear that for the people that lost their jobs.

Bummer about the game too.
Ddavis
8/9/2011 8:11pm
They should re-unite with Rainbow and make a new franchise "The Road to Loretta's". First game is racing amateur nationals/LL qualifiers/LL. Dirt to Daytona style of career mode with a calender and race AM Nats and qualifiers, pick which classes you want to race at LL and your "Career mode" is making it to LL in the A class and try to get the Vurb Cup/Horizon Award.

While kids are trying to beat that game, start working on a game "The big show" or something where you race supercross/nationals. Graphics of Alive, Gameplay of Unleashed, Career Mode of MTX Mototrax/Dirt to Daytona.
Mstock
8/9/2011 8:37pm
As much as it sucks that after spending over $100 on the game that it is done, it is good to see that real world checks and balances still work. I am happy that the people who thought figure 8 tracks, snow tracks, tombstone track markers, castles, and jungles have lost their jobs. They destroyed a otherwise great game/series.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2876th
8/9/2011 8:59pm
njracer46 wrote:
Haven't played that game in 3 months so won't really miss it. What do they mean by dead? Can you play it still on xbox live...
Haven't played that game in 3 months so won't really miss it. What do they mean by dead? Can you play it still on xbox live or just no more updates?
No more future MX vs ATV titles.

It doesnt say when the dlc when end.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
8/9/2011 9:14pm
Mstock wrote:
As much as it sucks that after spending over $100 on the game that it is done, it is good to see that real world checks...
As much as it sucks that after spending over $100 on the game that it is done, it is good to see that real world checks and balances still work. I am happy that the people who thought figure 8 tracks, snow tracks, tombstone track markers, castles, and jungles have lost their jobs. They destroyed a otherwise great game/series.
Couldn't have said it better.
8/9/2011 9:20pm
Mstock wrote:
As much as it sucks that after spending over $100 on the game that it is done, it is good to see that real world checks...
this is a good point. but you forgot to mention rider animation taunting. epic fail.
8/9/2011 9:42pm
Ddavis wrote:
They should re-unite with Rainbow and make a new franchise "The Road to Loretta's". First game is racing amateur nationals/LL qualifiers/LL. Dirt to Daytona style of...
They should re-unite with Rainbow and make a new franchise "The Road to Loretta's". First game is racing amateur nationals/LL qualifiers/LL. Dirt to Daytona style of career mode with a calender and race AM Nats and qualifiers, pick which classes you want to race at LL and your "Career mode" is making it to LL in the A class and try to get the Vurb Cup/Horizon Award.

While kids are trying to beat that game, start working on a game "The big show" or something where you race supercross/nationals. Graphics of Alive, Gameplay of Unleashed, Career Mode of MTX Mototrax/Dirt to Daytona.
It's a game, not your unrealistic fantasy world where you are fast.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/9/2011 9:44pm
I hope they roll out what's left of their DLC plan, so they don't leave their customers hanging.
lopez130
8/9/2011 9:47pm
GuyB wrote:
I hope they roll out what's left of their DLC plan, so they don't leave their customers hanging.
That would be nice, a lot of us have spent over $100 on this unfinished game. We'll see how this plays out.
willie838
8/9/2011 9:55pm
so annoying.

after reading some of the discussion i wish i had picked up reflex back when that came out, a review trashed the ps3 version for frame rate issues and i never got it- but a lot of people apparently preferred it to alive.

i enjoy the game still but it's days are numbered w/out any more dlc for it.

i definitely feel raped too that it was put out for 40 to push the dlc angle and now that's shot too, so we got a half cooked game for possibly 100% or more of price after a few oem bikes and track packs. go screw thq.
EatAChode
8/9/2011 10:03pm
The MX vs ATV series got worse and worse each year it seems like after they came out with unleashed. MX 2002 with RC is still my favorite.
willie838
8/9/2011 10:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2011 10:15pm
EatAChode wrote:
The MX vs ATV series got worse and worse each year it seems like after they came out with unleashed. MX 2002 with RC is still...
The MX vs ATV series got worse and worse each year it seems like after they came out with unleashed. MX 2002 with RC is still my favorite.
i don't even remember the name of my favorite game, it was either on ps1 or 2 and had almost all of the national tracks in it and a bunch of pro riders.

the racing was obviously nowhere near as clear or smooth as it is now but just being able to run actual tracks was enough to make up for it.

i can't comprehend how the mx industry can't pull something like this off for branding purposes alone. do they think the nhl,mlb, nfl, pga, ncaa, f1, motogp are silly for spreading their brands via videogaming? what kind of licensing issues are they butting up against?

----
edit
found game

mx 2002 featuring ricky carmichael.
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
8/9/2011 10:11pm
MX Culture wrote:
Just talked to Chris R. and he already landed at Race Tech in the marketing dept. Real bummer, the Phoenix group at Rainbow seemed to on...
paul937 wrote:
I had heard that about Chris recently too Dave, now it definitely makes sense!!

Paul
Paul, PM me your contact info. I lost it when I left THQ.

As far as the end of the series. It's a sad deal all around really. I left a week and a day ago thinking the series would continue on. The people at the studio really put their heart and sole into this franchise, and for those guys... the sky was the limit.

Unfortunately, THQ felt necessary to kill their longest standing, most profitable, highest selling franchise in their history. Makes me just shake my head.

A lot of good people out there looking for work.
Ddavis
8/9/2011 11:03pm
It's a game, not your unrealistic fantasy world where you are fast.
Hey! If I can't do it in real life I can try in a video game Wink
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/9/2011 11:05pm
One of the hazards of being a public company...having to answer to shareholders. There was a lot of experimentation in this version of MX vs. ATV.
Trauma
8/9/2011 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2011 11:48pm
Guess I wont see Alive come up on steam then. The games industry is looking pretty grim in Australia these days.
8/9/2011 11:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2011 11:49pm
Just gives us PC guys a longer chance to turn Reflex in to something great...
8/10/2011 12:45am
GuyB wrote:
One of the hazards of being a public company...having to answer to shareholders. There was a lot of experimentation in this version of MX vs. ATV.
I agree.

They doomed themselves, though. How many years since a full career mode and replica tracks have been in one of their games?? The consumers (us) kept asking but they ignored the market demand and went in their own direction with ridiculous looking tracks and layouts and also career modes, or lack thereof.

Year after year they talked up the game and never fulfilled promises. You could tell they were really losing it by cheapening the game and then charging for shitty little items that come out every few weeks with not a decent supercross track to be seen. Also paying a member, peelout, to talk the game up to us made them look even sillier. You would get flamed for pointing out problems when early videos were released and we were told it's totally different when you unlock the game and progress. Funny thing is over 50% (IMO) of us would have agreed that Alive was an unfinished step back from Reflex.

All those members who flamed anyone who pointed out negatives have been made to look stupid. Defending a $hit game doesn't force the developers to change and improve there game, they just stick with there own ideas and produce a substandard game that gets belted in the reviews and like we have just seen, ended due to a drop in sales.
mxrulez
8/10/2011 4:30am
The problem is the economy and that even a Cod rip off will earn more money that an MX game, even an average game for the majority (ie a shooter) will make more money that a Fantastic MX game
flarider
8/10/2011 5:48am
Hey Chris....yeah, let's not worry about our inclusion on the next version, ok?

Har...

Oh, and I wonder if the Polar Bear contest winner will get his swag pack?

Post a reply to: Say Goodbye to MX VS. ATV

The Latest