Santa Barbara area Racing & Tracks?

mtl
There is a chancability that I may relocate from San Francisco to Santa Barbara.

I've been down there to ride several times and have been to Zaca and the Enticnap Brothers house, those are within an hour of SB. Also Glen Helen and Kern within 2 1/2hrs of SB.

Are there other tracks in the area?

More importantly, what race series are there? And how is the turnout in the 250B and +30B classes look these days?

-thanks
-mtl

|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/7/2016 5:38pm
There's piru about 30-45 from sb but I wouldn't waste the time or money going there. Lacr is about 2 hours from sb, there's also cal city Mx park about 2 1/2 hours, sunrise Mx park about 2 1/2 hours, then further south there's Perris, milestone, the west, pala. Don't forget dt1 in Tulare and there's more I'm forgetting
mtl
6/7/2016 5:42pm
What about race series?
bondsmx
6/7/2016 5:42pm
Tuesday/Thursday 3pm/8pm. Sat/Sunday 9am2pm

KCRP Mx. 10 miles west of Bakersfield.
It's a bit of a trek from SB, but we get people from that side all the time. Check us out. Search my name on Facebook for a ton of photos, and update info on the track.
Bobby Bonds
bondsmx
6/7/2016 5:44pm
Also, starting in sept there is a Central Valley series. We have a race, DT1 has a race, Taft has a race, cal city has races, and I believe Porterville as well.

The Shop

race
6/7/2016 6:03pm
SB is an expensive town to live in.

Awesome downhills if you're into DH ( mtb ) . Check out Tunnel, San Ysidro, Cold Springs, Knapps ( don't know if it is still open ).

I know when we would unload at the top of the ridge we would occasionally see some MX bikes but I doubt it was more than some beater track up off the ridge.
mtl
6/7/2016 6:36pm
Bobby,
Thanks for the information.

I've been to Kern a couple of times and really liked the track. The dirt is surprisingly good for that geographic area and the layout was fun.
bondsmx
6/7/2016 7:10pm
That's because we bust our butts to keep it that way every practice. Lol
Moto88
6/7/2016 9:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/7/2016 11:28pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There's piru about 30-45 from sb but I wouldn't waste the time or money going there. Lacr is about 2 hours from sb, there's also cal...
There's piru about 30-45 from sb but I wouldn't waste the time or money going there. Lacr is about 2 hours from sb, there's also cal city Mx park about 2 1/2 hours, sunrise Mx park about 2 1/2 hours, then further south there's Perris, milestone, the west, pala. Don't forget dt1 in Tulare and there's more I'm forgetting
---Wrong!---Piru (mx-126) is a fun track, owner rides too, puts in a lot of effort on the track prep, and makes changes. I know Mattyhamz2 doesn't like the owner, and may have good reason, but I think (i hope) it was a lot of misunderstanding. Everyone has a bad day now and then. I've gotten to know the owner and he is a good person. The track is only open on saturdays 8:30-1. $25. 1 hour from SB. If you haven't been there lately, check it out, judge for yourself! The dirt is really good until about 11:30, then it dries (not always), but then you have the options of inside/outside lines, which are still moist. Make sure you check facebook or instagram, not just the Piru site to make sure they are open the saturday you are going. Of course Zaca is always awesome, but call before you go to be put on the rider list. Entick's is small but fun, and a great group of people there. For races I think the most popular and liked is REM. I know a few locals make the trek to REM races at Glen Helen, but it's a hall at 2 1/2 hours south.
mtl
6/9/2016 9:46am
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

Riding tracks that get hardpack as the day progresses makes you a better rider. All the NorCal tracks are like that except for EStreet and it gets a bit bony in some spots after a few hours...

-mtl
Hallzilla
6/9/2016 11:02am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2016 11:30am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
There's piru about 30-45 from sb but I wouldn't waste the time or money going there. Lacr is about 2 hours from sb, there's also cal...
Moto88 wrote:
---Wrong!---Piru (mx-126) is a fun track, owner rides too, puts in a lot of effort on the track prep, and makes changes. I know Mattyhamz2 doesn't...
---Wrong!---Piru (mx-126) is a fun track, owner rides too, puts in a lot of effort on the track prep, and makes changes. I know Mattyhamz2 doesn't like the owner, and may have good reason, but I think (i hope) it was a lot of misunderstanding. Everyone has a bad day now and then. I've gotten to know the owner and he is a good person. The track is only open on saturdays 8:30-1. $25. 1 hour from SB. If you haven't been there lately, check it out, judge for yourself! The dirt is really good until about 11:30, then it dries (not always), but then you have the options of inside/outside lines, which are still moist. Make sure you check facebook or instagram, not just the Piru site to make sure they are open the saturday you are going. Of course Zaca is always awesome, but call before you go to be put on the rider list. Entick's is small but fun, and a great group of people there. For races I think the most popular and liked is REM. I know a few locals make the trek to REM races at Glen Helen, but it's a hall at 2 1/2 hours south.
Wrong - The owner screwed himself by trying to up the price to $35 bucks, and likely lost most of his business, and then shut it down for months. The overall layout hasn't changed since it was friggen Max track. They add a new s turn or go back to an old layout, that is not what i call making changes. I get that you can't change the overall layout much, but you can change whats inside the layout. Yeah they did make some small changes after being closed for months. which once again is back to a somewhat old layout. They are now back open for about a month or so, and hmm back to 25 .... Wonder why ? New layout is vet friendly, and goes in reverse, which in my opinion is not nearly as fun. Place could be so much better than it is. I'm 30 minutes away, and usually drive right by. Go to Zaca.
Hallzilla
6/9/2016 11:04am
bondsmx wrote:
Tuesday/Thursday 3pm/8pm. Sat/Sunday 9am2pm KCRP Mx. 10 miles west of Bakersfield. It's a bit of a trek from SB, but we get people from that side...
Tuesday/Thursday 3pm/8pm. Sat/Sunday 9am2pm

KCRP Mx. 10 miles west of Bakersfield.
It's a bit of a trek from SB, but we get people from that side all the time. Check us out. Search my name on Facebook for a ton of photos, and update info on the track.
Bobby Bonds
At some point, I'm gonna come out and support you guys. Heard good things ! Thanks Bobby !
race
6/9/2016 1:32pm
Hallzilla wrote:
Wrong - The owner screwed himself by trying to up the price to $35 bucks, and likely lost most of his business, and then shut it...
Wrong - The owner screwed himself by trying to up the price to $35 bucks, and likely lost most of his business, and then shut it down for months. The overall layout hasn't changed since it was friggen Max track. They add a new s turn or go back to an old layout, that is not what i call making changes. I get that you can't change the overall layout much, but you can change whats inside the layout. Yeah they did make some small changes after being closed for months. which once again is back to a somewhat old layout. They are now back open for about a month or so, and hmm back to 25 .... Wonder why ? New layout is vet friendly, and goes in reverse, which in my opinion is not nearly as fun. Place could be so much better than it is. I'm 30 minutes away, and usually drive right by. Go to Zaca.
Max track. Wow, that goes back a ways. Is that what it was called when Mark Peters was involved briefly or was that still Lemon Grove?

Tried for years to suggest stuff to the owner to improve the track but he just wasn't into it. When they bumped up to $35 I think everyone headed over to LACR. Is there a new owner or is it the same old?
Moto88
6/10/2016 12:22am
Funny, you complain about the 35, but drive an hour farther and pay 40! Yeah Zaca is bigger, both good, but I prefer tighter tracks w more jumps. --Change? Zaca hasn't changed in ten years +! Dont get me wrong, zaca IS bitchn'! But back to Piru, numbers were down, so A close or B price increase to stay open, its expensive to run a track. But Piru closing wasn't all about $, not going to get into that, but when he (Steve, same owner, super cool dude IMO) re-opened, due to complainers went to 25. Saturday only, and turnout is good. Why change layout? Layout is good, but every month it's changed up within. It's always fun to see a new jump, step up, table, whatever, and you get that at Piru. Again, dont get me wrong, LACR Zaca other tracks all good, I just dont want to drive far when I can ride a track that "I" dig, changes, and see some friends! I hit Zaca now and then (which is half the drive) and have fun and also see a bunch of friends too. Just prefer dirt over sand and tighter w jumps. If any of you ever go to either and see me, #88 Oneal YZ white sprinter van, introduce yourself, always up for meeting new moto friends and good ol' debates! But if any track isn't to your liking, bagging on it on the web doesnt help, any time a track closes, thats not good for our sport, too many tracks closing already across the US. Just go ride the track that you have fun at and try being supportive.
6/10/2016 7:02am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Moto88 wrote:
---Wrong!---Piru (mx-126) is a fun track, owner rides too, puts in a lot of effort on the track prep, and makes changes. I know Mattyhamz2 doesn't...
I agree, I've never had a bad experience at Piru or Lemon Grove for that matter lol . The ruts there get big and epic!!!! I love that track!!!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/10/2016 7:50am
Hallzilla wrote:
Wrong - The owner screwed himself by trying to up the price to $35 bucks, and likely lost most of his business, and then shut it...
race wrote:
Max track. Wow, that goes back a ways. Is that what it was called when Mark Peters was involved briefly or was that still Lemon Grove...
Max track. Wow, that goes back a ways. Is that what it was called when Mark Peters was involved briefly or was that still Lemon Grove?

Tried for years to suggest stuff to the owner to improve the track but he just wasn't into it. When they bumped up to $35 I think everyone headed over to LACR. Is there a new owner or is it the same old?
Yes max track was Marc Peters. I was there every day after school helping Marc, Greg and my Dad do stuff around the facility. My dad was the one that put in all the water lines for the hoses. I've spent a lot of time at that place over the years with the different owners, but seeing the way the owner Steve talks to people that try to throw out a suggestion to him to help improve the place makes me never want to go back until someone else owns it. One thing I've noticed with Cal City, LACR and even AV Motoplex is that they listen to the riders and will use a lot of those suggestions.
race
6/10/2016 4:53pm
They should bring Marc back for a tuneup of the track. He had some fun stuff back then.

Listening to your customers is pretty much the first rule of business.

Moto88
6/10/2016 8:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2016 11:24pm
True, but its hard when one wants this jump/turn and another doesn't. Steve listens, and if enough riders say the same, he'll often try it. I know for sure, (I just know him from riding there), I throw out ideas all the time, sometimes he uses them others not. At the same time I don't complain, just stay positive. I see/hear it all the time, new jump gets built, some guys are stoked, others complain. Any track owner knows what i'm talking about. Cant please everyone. I invite any of you to go tomorrow, I'll be there and the weather looks good! Lets talk, I'm sure by the end of the day you will have a different view of most of the above writings.
mtl
6/10/2016 8:59pm
I might be in SB next Tues/Wed for some meetings. Willtry to work it to ride Zaca.

What schedule does Ed run on Wednesday? Is it after work? or during the day?

Post a reply to: Santa Barbara area Racing & Tracks?

The Latest