Sad News- RIP Euro Cycles Jan Houtermans

andymoto
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 8:08pm
Just was informed that Jan passed away in his sleep last night..(Fri morning)

I'm totally bummed. He was a great man of the sport and a good friend to me and too many others to count worldwide.

Many a great racer he helped thru all his years from NorCal to Europe.

RIP Jan. Sure miss you.
|
Coyote
2/13/2010 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:45pm
Too bad, he was a great guy that helped alot of up & coming D36 riders. Spent quite a bit of time with Jan at the races back in the early 80's and always enjoyed his company. Never helped me as I rode Husqvarna but was always friendly and sincere. My regards to his family and friends in this time of mourning.

Charles Halcomb
TG130
2/13/2010 9:16pm
RIP to a Nor Cal Institution.
43roost
2/14/2010 8:05am
Aww man!!!! I talked to him back in November about my 72 Bultaco. Turns out it was his old bike !! He was a cantankerous old fart, but a real encyclopedia of knowledge. I actually made him laugh. I'll go pat the Bull on the seat for him. RIP Jan !!

The Shop

mx295
2/14/2010 8:16am
R.I.P. Jan
andymoto
2/14/2010 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:47pm
Talked to Randy Losh and services are going to be held for Jan within the next two weeks in NorCal and will be posted ASAP for those who wish to attend.

Coyote
2/14/2010 7:09pm
andymoto wrote:
Talked to Randy Losh and services are going to be held for Jan within the next two weeks in NorCal and will be posted ASAP for...
Talked to Randy Losh and services are going to be held for Jan within the next two weeks in NorCal and will be posted ASAP for those who wish to attend.

Yea, keep us posted, I'll try to make this one!!
andymoto
2/14/2010 7:18pm
andymoto wrote:
Talked to Randy Losh and services are going to be held for Jan within the next two weeks in NorCal and will be posted ASAP for...

Coyote wrote:
Yea, keep us posted, I'll try to make this one!!
Absolutely.
2/15/2010 4:55am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2010 4:56am
Thank you for all this sympathy of all motorsportfriends after the death of my Brother Jan

Louis Houtermans

houtermans(at)gmail(Dot)com
2/17/2010 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:50pm
Jan, you were like a brother to us. Thank you so much for all fun we had, sailing, the good times at your shop, and having you at our house in Holland. We really gonna miss you Jan.
Frans & Gerdy Munsters
Dono861
2/17/2010 1:54pm
jan i truly miss you, you had a pivotal role in my racing career. you are a one of kind sir, just like the "click" suspension that i swore by from the time i was a child until my signing with factory ktm. one of the best bikes i had of all time, was my 1996 yz 125 that you did the motor work and suspension on. you let my dad work there for those years, and believed in me. you are a bad dude, i feel blessed to have had you as a friend, in the 10 years since my injury we didn't see eachother often, but getting to hang at the shop once or twice a year was so fun. we always had that plan for you to take me to europe for the grand prixs. well jan, i will think of you many times over, and i cherish our memories and years of friendship greatly.
donovan mitchell
andymoto
2/17/2010 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:50pm
Services are still pending, but look to be the weekend of 2/28/10 at this time. Exact date, location and time posted ASAP.

Any NorCal or farther that sees this, the Herndons will have the shop will be open after hours this Friday 2/19 as has been tradition for as long as I can remember.

Dono- Very well said. That YZ was for sure the best as was the man tuning it.

Andy Medin

Starr
2/17/2010 4:42pm
Just by chance took a look at vital this afternoon. Heartbroken to read the news of Jan's passing. Jan was a pillar of motocross in Northern California with a direct hand in the development of some of the greatest riders this sport has ever known. The sport has truly lost one of its unsung hero's.
R.I.P. Jan you will be missed.

Starr Needham
BobbyM
2/17/2010 10:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:50pm
andymoto wrote:
Just was informed that Jan passed away in his sleep last night..(Fri morning) I'm totally bummed. He was a great man of the sport and a...

I'm totally bummed. He was a great man of the sport and a good friend to me and too many others to count worldwide.

RIP Jan. Sure miss you.
damn andy, i heard the news at a3 when i was talking to donovans pops. R.I.P Jan....happy wrenching. Sad

a norcal mx staple for years he was....helped mx all over norcal.
Dono861
2/18/2010 8:40pm
andymoto wrote:
Just was informed that Jan passed away in his sleep last night..(Fri morning) I'm totally bummed. He was a great man of the sport and a...

RIP Jan. Sure miss you.
BobbyM wrote:
damn andy, i heard the news at a3 when i was talking to donovans pops. R.I.P Jan....happy wrenching. a norcal mx staple for years he was....helped...
damn andy, i heard the news at a3 when i was talking to donovans pops. R.I.P Jan....happy wrenching. Sad

a norcal mx staple for years he was....helped mx all over norcal.
tentatively march 6th at noon the plan is to meet at the eurocycles shop for a memorial to a great man. please make not of this, jan was a straight up, tell it how it is fellow, with such an awesome personality. any questions, just email me...

factoryktm861@adelphia.net
andymoto
2/18/2010 11:53pm
Thank for the info Dono.

When loaned my KX500 so Jo Martens could have a bike for last Hollister GP, he put his own money into a bike that had lost 3rd gear, aftermarket stuff and redid the motor and suspension think had click then. His hospitality was awesome and the bike was so much better. He wouldn't let me pay for anything like the 3rd gear I lost or anything and I felt real bad, but that's the way he was.

He was really a jolly and generous man that did have an eye for helping some of the NorCals best riders ever.

Andy Medin

Rnlrnch
2/20/2010 11:54am

Celebrate the Life and Times of Jan Houtermans

Gathering being held at the shop, Eurocycles in Orangevale on Satuday, March 6, 2010 at high noon! Bring your photos, stories and celebrate with us as we honor the unique and exceptional life of our mentor and friend.

EuroCycles located 6321 Main Avenue or call (916) 988-8322 for more details. Please help out by bringing chairs and a dish to share. Hope to see you there!

2/25/2010 11:19am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:00pm
In the seventhis we raced in the same union the NMB Nederlandse Motorsport Bond
You with the Bultaco and i with a Maico,the good old times.
also every year you visit our Dutch MX Grandprix off Lierop.
R.I.P.Jan.
Tiny van Erp.
3/1/2010 1:32pm
Jan, you made me in motocross what I am today. You thought me things that I'm still using everyday. I heard the bad news when I was busy with my mx-school in Spain.
"The Legend" passed away! I couldn't believe it. But now I have to deal with it!!

I'll never forget the long talks we had when we always went out for dinner in my favourite restaurant!? We had hard discussions but on the other hand lots of laughs. I always felt comfortable with you by my side.
And what about when you lay your hands on my CR500 and "Houterized" it!! Man, I went back home and smoked everybody out there in the Dutch Championship! And it was a "Barker" !! Like never heard before! So many good memories in my career.

For many out there you were that strange dutchman, but for your friends with a heart of gold and a soul that breathed motocross!!

I will always remember you, Jan, R.I.P.

Carlo, Nua, Carlos and Taylor
3/4/2010 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:10pm
From Jos & Annick Kessel ( Holland) We started to know you in a most pleasant way, So this is a great lose for us all. All the trips you made to Holland great times(beer & Saugage) also got alot of pleasure last year when you were here.
Dave Longcor
3/6/2010 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:13pm
Just got back from the celebration. Lots of thoughts, but the main one was what a great group of people grew around him.

Don't know how to say it, very conflicted feelings tonight, but he sure attracted quality people.

Good to meet you Andy.

I expect to see some pictures.
andymoto
3/6/2010 8:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:14pm
Thanks Dave, the pleasure was all mine. Smile

All his riders and friends ARE quality people; certainly right about that.

My last Pursang in '78 for a smile. Don't say what red numbers/white backgrounds said what class you rode...:o(...not where you guys did...hehehe.

Post a reply to: Sad News- RIP Euro Cycles Jan Houtermans

The Latest