SX coming back to Michigan???

Muezh
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 3:07pm
sounds to me like he's open to any opportunities... feld could walk into this and probably get away with paying next to nothing for the venue..

http://www.freep.com/article/20100311/COL06/3110462/1319/Vision-for-the…

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Bring-the-supercross-back-to-…
|
web mx
3/11/2010 4:15am
It would be nice,Pontiac was always one of the best attended SX races every year even with the old double-headers.
neysbo
3/11/2010 5:08am
shit that would be awesome,
kardy
3/11/2010 5:14am
That place is a hole, never gonna happen... let it go.

The Shop

ehr400
3/11/2010 6:08am
Are you talking about the Dome or Ford field? The silverdome is great for these types of venues like SX, monster trucks and whatever. Don't be a hater because your from Ohio.
jpfiester82
Fantasy
24th
3/11/2010 6:12am
The thing with the silverdome compared to Ford field is the tailgaiting atmosphere. From the rounds I have been to it was the closest thing to camping at the nationals. It is not as flashy as Ford field or Lucas oil stadium but how cool would it be to have them running up into the stands again.
ehr400
3/11/2010 6:17am
The thing with the silverdome compared to Ford field is the tailgaiting atmosphere. From the rounds I have been to it was the closest thing to...
The thing with the silverdome compared to Ford field is the tailgaiting atmosphere. From the rounds I have been to it was the closest thing to camping at the nationals. It is not as flashy as Ford field or Lucas oil stadium but how cool would it be to have them running up into the stands again.
I know what you are saying. The last few years going down to Indy I think I saw more people with Michigan/ Ohio plates in the parking lot then Indiana ones. The place was always filled up for sure!
jbomx363
3/11/2010 6:32am
That round is a missed opportunity for FELD. Take one Anaheim round and put it in the dome. You'll get 1.5x the attendance.
ehr400
3/11/2010 6:42am
jbomx363 wrote:
That round is a missed opportunity for FELD. Take one Anaheim round and put it in the dome. You'll get 1.5x the attendance.
I am not trying to slam anyone from Cali but you guys have 5 rounds of SX. There are alot of areas in the country that filled the stands better and dont have one. Please bring it back, espicially going up the seats!
ehr400
3/11/2010 6:43am
Can DC possibly read this and chime in if available?
kardy
3/11/2010 6:45am
ehr400 wrote:
Are you talking about the Dome or Ford field? The silverdome is great for these types of venues like SX, monster trucks and whatever. Don't be...
Are you talking about the Dome or Ford field? The silverdome is great for these types of venues like SX, monster trucks and whatever. Don't be a hater because your from Ohio.
It's a bat cave.

And I could care less about any MI vs. OH rivalry. I've spent many, many weeks vacationing there and I love it. It'd be great to have another reason to be there, but not in the winter, and not at the Silverdome. I have no problem with Ford Field, it's always an adventure getting outtta there...
jbomx363
3/11/2010 6:49am
kardy wrote:
It's a bat cave. And I could care less about any MI vs. OH rivalry. I've spent many, many weeks vacationing there and I love it...
It's a bat cave.

And I could care less about any MI vs. OH rivalry. I've spent many, many weeks vacationing there and I love it. It'd be great to have another reason to be there, but not in the winter, and not at the Silverdome. I have no problem with Ford Field, it's always an adventure getting outtta there...
So if they added more lighting for your photography, it's a winner eh? Wink

ehr400
3/11/2010 6:55am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:19pm
You like Ford Field over the silver dome for SX racing? WTF? Lets see the "advantages" off having a SX race between the two.

Ford Field
1. No parking
2. No tailgaiting
3. Smaller floor space
4. No access to the pits
5. Poor access to major roads
6. More expensive parking
7. Food/Beer/ etc. more expensive in FF
8. PITA for teams to get their trucks and equipment in and out

9. No amateur races

You honestly are the first person I ever heard say they liked FF over the Dome for SX. Now for football I like FF better. But for SX the Dome has it beat.
kardy
3/11/2010 6:57am
jbomx363 wrote:
So if they added more lighting for your photography, it's a winner eh? Wink

Absolutely. It's all about perspective. Plus the place is just a worn-out dump.
ehr400
3/11/2010 6:59am
You got to remember they didnt invest any money into it the 2 years because of the FF construction. This new guy is investing money into it and cleaning it up.
kardy
3/11/2010 7:00am
ehr400 wrote:
You like Ford Field over the silver dome for SX racing? WTF? Lets see the "advantages" off having a SX race between the two. Ford Field...
You like Ford Field over the silver dome for SX racing? WTF? Lets see the "advantages" off having a SX race between the two.

Ford Field
1. No parking
2. No tailgaiting
3. Smaller floor space
4. No access to the pits

9. No amateur races

You honestly are the first person I ever heard say they liked FF over the Dome for SX. Now for football I like FF better. But for SX the Dome has it beat.
Good, I'm glad I offered you an alternative perspective.

Oh and none of those things you mentioned apply to me, except #5. It's a nice stadium, I can put up with the adventure of finding the highway on-ramp in exchange for a really nice facility like FF is... especially compared to the 'Dome.

Now, take a pill there, tiger.
Rupert X
3/11/2010 7:06am

Everybody calm down, Tim is busy constructing a roof for RED BUD.

There's gonna be slim hole by LaRocco's Leap where you jump through

the ceiling tiles.

It'll be badass.

Danny Dolan level badass.
ehr400
3/11/2010 7:10am
Rupert X wrote:
Everybody calm down, Tim is busy constructing a roof for RED BUD. There's gonna be slim hole by LaRocco's Leap where you jump through the ceiling...

the ceiling tiles.

It'll be badass.

Good one Rupert!
RM65dad
3/11/2010 7:31am
As a life long resident of the motor city and attendee of the 1st Pontiac supercross ever....my opinion...never happen! Our city will not support the event in attendance numbers necessary to justify a return.
swizcore
3/11/2010 7:32am
While I'd love to see SX back in Michigan, I prefer to remember the good ole days at the SIlverdome as opposed to going to Ford field. Its an amazing stadium but parking is a nightmare.
ehr400
3/11/2010 7:42am
We will see what happens I guess. I would think any revenue is better then no revenue at this point in that area. Considering they shut down the Pontiac plant and the dome being vacant I am sure local buisnesses are hurting in the area.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
3/11/2010 1:47pm
kardy wrote:
That place is a hole, never gonna happen... let it go.
Two strokes are coming back too.
Muezh
3/11/2010 1:55pm
see... exactly... open minds kids. DC YOU GETTIN THIS!!!!

Remember, it's a dollars game nowadays. How much does Feld pay other venues to hold an SX. Guarantee they could get the dome for half as much. And that other half in savings is more money in their pockets.

boy...I sure hope Toronto's attendance isn't lagging this year... hmmm

also, with regard to the link. Monster Truck events were birthed at the silverdome. It was during a tractor pull show that Bigfoot came out and started crushing cars.. (saw it on some special one time. had no clue otherwise)

Kardy, you get the first invite to a SX welcome back tailgate if it ever happened.
motomike894
3/11/2010 2:00pm
Rupert X wrote:
Everybody calm down, Tim is busy constructing a roof for RED BUD. There's gonna be slim hole by LaRocco's Leap where you jump through the ceiling...

the ceiling tiles.

It'll be badass.

Oh god sounds awesome Rup I cant wait for this, haha!
Roscoe33
3/11/2010 2:06pm
ehr400 wrote:
You like Ford Field over the silver dome for SX racing? WTF? Lets see the "advantages" off having a SX race between the two. Ford Field...

Ford Field
1. No parking
2. No tailgaiting
3. Smaller floor space
4. No access to the pits

9. No amateur races

kardy wrote:
Good, I'm glad I offered you an alternative perspective. Oh and none of those things you mentioned apply to me, except #5. It's a nice stadium...
Good, I'm glad I offered you an alternative perspective.

Oh and none of those things you mentioned apply to me, except #5. It's a nice stadium, I can put up with the adventure of finding the highway on-ramp in exchange for a really nice facility like FF is... especially compared to the 'Dome.

Now, take a pill there, tiger.
I can't believe someone would even say that parking for ANY major sporting event isn't important...
let alone mention Ford Field (which isn't an option)
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/11/2010 2:08pm
ehr400 wrote:

Ford Field
1. No parking
2. No tailgaiting
3. Smaller floor space
4. No access to the pits

9. No amateur races

I'd pick Ford Field, too...and I agree on the bat cave. That thing's a concrete bunker.

When was the last time any Feld/LiveNation/CC event had an amateur race?
c3011
3/11/2010 2:25pm
Muezh wrote:
sounds to me like he's open to any opportunities... feld could walk into this and probably get away with paying next to nothing for the venue...
sounds to me like he's open to any opportunities... feld could walk into this and probably get away with paying next to nothing for the venue..

http://www.freep.com/article/20100311/COL06/3110462/1319/Vision-for-the…

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Bring-the-supercross-back-to-…
We can only hope Jeff.
ehr400
3/12/2010 5:20am
ehr400 wrote:

Ford Field
1. No parking
2. No tailgaiting
3. Smaller floor space
4. No access to the pits

9. No amateur races

GuyB wrote:
I'd pick Ford Field, too...and I agree on the bat cave. That thing's a concrete bunker. When was the last time any Feld/LiveNation/CC event had an...
I'd pick Ford Field, too...and I agree on the bat cave. That thing's a concrete bunker.

When was the last time any Feld/LiveNation/CC event had an amateur race?
They held the last amateur race 2006 which was the last year at the dome. Feld didnt have any involvement with the amatuer race, it was a the local series promoter who did. You guys are looking at it on a press/photographer perspective, I am looking at it on a fan and past attendee of both perspective.

There is a reason why FF didnt get good attendance, no one likes going down town and all the things I previously listed. You dont cut your attendance in half going from the "bat cave" to a better venue according to you guys. If FF is so much better why was the place a ghost town compared to the silver dome?
MX Culture
3/12/2010 7:11am
There is a reason why FF didnt get good attendance, no one likes going down town and all the things I previously listed. You dont cut your attendance in half going from the "bat cave" to a better venue according to you guys. If FF is so much better why was the place a ghost town compared to the silver dome?

I agree with you EHR and I am press. Yes, the Silverdome is rundown, but it is the ideal place for SX. Awesome parking, easy to get to, big field, lots of seats, ect.
I didn't like the air lock doors and weird lighting because of the roof. What's to say that they re-do the roof and put in some new lighting?

And BTW, what happened to Minneapolis and why not Miller Park in Milwaukee?
I was told years ago from a Feld/CC/Pace/SFX/whoever guy that they were planning on going there.
dd

Post a reply to: SX coming back to Michigan???

The Latest