SX "B" main idea by Matthes..

RangerLee
The idea of a B main for supercross is an idea by Steve Matthes that he has talked about on his Pulpmx podcast with his guests for awhile now. There seems to be a consensus that it would be fun as you get the riders which you see blasting hard during the LCQ, giving it another shot. The key is where would it fit in?

This week it came up again as the new format for the 450 SX mains seem to allow a place for a "B" main if Feld chose to do one. The discussion quickly focused on basically the motivation for the riders. There should not be a championship as that is a whole different can of worms. However what about if there were a "B" main and the winner, and only the winner would automatically make the night show for following weekends supercross.

So you did not qualify at Anaheim for the A main but you go on to win the "B" main so next weekend you get the last gate pick for the A main. This would make for some crazy action and a fun race IMO.

Thoughts?
|
Juice_Mann
10/11/2017 5:15am
I'd be cool with it, but it sounds a bit complicated for the casual fan. It's already too complicated for them though. I bring a group of friends to the STL SX every year and I spend more time explaining all the rules then watching the races. They just don't get it lol. No one cares about casual fans though anyway I guess.
RangerLee
10/11/2017 5:29am
I would think your friends want to see good racing. I figure since you have to explain to them rules they are not riders, so the best thing would be good racing.

The point Steve M. makes about a B main is you get a group of riders that tend to stay close together and will pull out all the stops. This is exciting to watch. The question is, why would anyone go all out in a B main if there is no championship in it? Well give them something like entry in to the A main at the following race and now there is a whole hell of lot of reason to give it your all.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 5:43am
1st of all, forget the name B MAIN. You can't use Main for everything, there should only be 1.

I vote no for a consolation. Once you are eliminated you become a spectator. Some other distinctly different class as a support race would be welcome, and it would bring more entrants and their families. No retread races. I'd suggest local 85's as an exhibition. Grow the roots of the sport. Entrants only allowed 1 entry per season. New blood.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/11/2017 5:43am
I like your idea about passage to the a main. The thing is the whole b main idea is meant for the MEC format. If there are mixed MEC format and regular format races then there isnt the consistency needed for your idea.

The biggest problem with watching SX with friends that arent fans is watching all the qualifying races. There is not alot of sports where you have to endure 2 hours of racing that basically looks the same to get to a race that means anything. Most of the time they are bored or sleeping when the main is on at midnight eastern time.

The Shop

c0ncEpT
10/11/2017 5:45am
Meh. If you can't make the main on a consistent basis maybe you should try your hand at arenacross.
IWreckALot
10/11/2017 6:02am
I'd love to see them replace some of the filler content in the broadcast with racing. I think the better question is track maintenance. they use pretty much the entire down time to prep the track and it's a turd by the end of the 250 main and the 450's have to race it.
dirtdog36
10/11/2017 6:10am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 6:11am
early wrote:
I like your idea about passage to the a main. The thing is the whole b main idea is meant for the MEC format. If there...
I like your idea about passage to the a main. The thing is the whole b main idea is meant for the MEC format. If there are mixed MEC format and regular format races then there isnt the consistency needed for your idea.

The biggest problem with watching SX with friends that arent fans is watching all the qualifying races. There is not alot of sports where you have to endure 2 hours of racing that basically looks the same to get to a race that means anything. Most of the time they are bored or sleeping when the main is on at midnight eastern time.
this!

when I watch a race on DVR sunday morning. I watch Heats then FFWD for 1 hour and then watch Mains

PS: and I love this sport, but even I get bored not seeing the top guys on the track
JRT812
10/11/2017 6:41am
dirtdog36 wrote:
this! when I watch a race on DVR sunday morning. I watch Heats then FFWD for 1 hour and then watch Mains PS: and I love...
this!

when I watch a race on DVR sunday morning. I watch Heats then FFWD for 1 hour and then watch Mains

PS: and I love this sport, but even I get bored not seeing the top guys on the track
I pretty much do the same thing
Crush
10/11/2017 6:42am
Anything that gets the riders out there for more viewer dollar value is a plus.
Adam43
10/11/2017 6:52am
B-Mains are very common in short track auto racing. It would be more familiar to fans than many think.

The series needs to respect its fans intelligence more, despite what the Pulpmx callers demonstrate.

This concept isn't overly complex - football and baseball are some of the more convoluted sports around and they have giant audiences.
MikeyB35
10/11/2017 6:59am
I like it minus the part about automatically qualifying for the next round. Obviously wouldnt work with both classes getting a B main considering time and track work but it could be interesting to seed top half of 450 unqualified riders and top half of 250 unqualified riders into B Main. Winner gets a trophy and a taco.
TeamGreen
10/11/2017 7:06am
B-Main, as others have sorta implied, would actually be for those that didn't make 'the Night-Show'.
Vegas
10/11/2017 7:50am
TeamGreen wrote:
B-Main, as others have sorta implied, would actually be for those that didn't make 'the Night-Show'.
Watching the guys that didn't make the night show try to race would be painfully boring, It should be B class kids. just like at MEC and happen 5 times a season With the top 5 getting to skip the AX points bs.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/11/2017 7:59am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 8:00am
Vegas wrote:
Watching the guys that didn't make the night show try to race would be painfully boring, It should be B class kids. just like at MEC...
Watching the guys that didn't make the night show try to race would be painfully boring, It should be B class kids. just like at MEC and happen 5 times a season With the top 5 getting to skip the AX points bs.
You realize that in the MEC format scenario only 22 guys make the "night show".

The b main would consist of the guys that are currently on tv on the track at least 3 times in the current format. The current Lcq race is rarely painfully boring.
Zaugg
10/11/2017 8:12am
Hey Everybody...lets take a sport confusing to casual fans and make it more confusing. Brilliant Marketing!!!!

I know you HARDCORE racers want to see more racing, B-Main/ LCQ/ SEMI/ Whatever you want to call it....the casual fan has no idea what is going on. Hell look at Endurocross...they use this ridiculous idea and even people who follow the sport don't know what the hell is going on.

Not everybody gets a trophy...(Thanks helicopter parents.)

Here's what casual fans know...the important race is at the end and the guy who crossed the finish line first is the winner. Everything before that makes brain hurt.

Do we want more people to get excited about our sport or less? (BTW-less means our sport dies so there's that.)

Choose wisely.

RangerLee
10/11/2017 8:19am
First complain that American MX is going downhill.

Second see a suggestion to try and get more riders excited for a chance to race "under the lights primetime" even if just a B main.

Third complain that it is too much.

As for the LCQ being boring, hell some of the best racing in past years was during the LCQ, short sprint, top two go in, and riders going all out to be in that top two.
TDeath21
10/11/2017 8:55am
If you're gonna have a B Main at all, just have the two qualifying heats with the top X riders of each heat going straight to the A main, then have a B and C main if you want and have them. I personally think the format is fine the way it is though.
RangerLee
10/11/2017 9:02am
Word is 450s will have 3 moto mains now. So no more semi-final's just two heats and top X make it.
Vegas
10/11/2017 9:35am
early wrote:
You realize that in the MEC format scenario only 22 guys make the "night show". The b main would consist of the guys that are currently...
You realize that in the MEC format scenario only 22 guys make the "night show".

The b main would consist of the guys that are currently on tv on the track at least 3 times in the current format. The current Lcq race is rarely painfully boring.
I didn't think that through. I was thinking the guys qualifying 41st and back.

Still feel like I'd rather see the top B riders.Whistling
10/11/2017 9:45am
1st of all, forget the name B MAIN. You can't use Main for everything, there should only be 1. I vote no for a consolation. Once...
1st of all, forget the name B MAIN. You can't use Main for everything, there should only be 1.

I vote no for a consolation. Once you are eliminated you become a spectator. Some other distinctly different class as a support race would be welcome, and it would bring more entrants and their families. No retread races. I'd suggest local 85's as an exhibition. Grow the roots of the sport. Entrants only allowed 1 entry per season. New blood.
Local 85 kids snapping themselves in half on a full blown SX track would surely help gain new participation in the sport, no?
Robgvx
10/11/2017 9:48am
1st of all, forget the name B MAIN. You can't use Main for everything, there should only be 1. I vote no for a consolation. Once...

B Final.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 9:52am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 9:53am

Local 85 kids snapping themselves in half on a full blown SX track would surely help gain new participation in the sport, no?
They do it every year in the MEC. It is a crowd favorite, those guys are exciting.

There is no CONSOLATION race in the MEC format. Don't add one, no fancy name changes the fact that these are the slow guys.. Let them ride 250's or Arenacross but don't make me watch reruns of guys who are already eliminated.
10/11/2017 9:54am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 9:59am
They do it every year in the MEC. It is a crowd favorite, those guys are exciting. There is no CONSOLATION race in the MEC format...
They do it every year in the MEC. It is a crowd favorite, those guys are exciting.

There is no CONSOLATION race in the MEC format. Don't add one, no fancy name changes the fact that these are the slow guys.. Let them ride 250's or Arenacross but don't make me watch reruns of guys who are already eliminated.
They race SUPERMINI once a year at the Monster Cup and it's all the best kids in the country. Nothing like what you suggested. It just doesn't seem like a feasible option at all.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 9:59am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 10:00am
They do it every year in the MEC. It is a crowd favorite, those guys are exciting. There is no CONSOLATION race in the MEC format...

They race SUPERMINI once a year at the Monster Cup and it's all the best kids in the country. Nothing like what you suggested. It just...
They race SUPERMINI once a year at the Monster Cup and it's all the best kids in the country. Nothing like what you suggested. It just doesn't seem like a feasible option at all.
They did it for about 30 years with Amateurs riding Sunday on SX tracks slightly detuned. It is easily doable and adds far more entertainment value, and fills up the seats far more effectively. Families need something to enjoy, Dad and Mom bring little Jimmy to watch the kids. It really makes spectators appreciate the difference in talent the big guys have. And I know at our local tracks there are plenty of kids who can clear all the jumps on 85's.
early
Fantasy
2212th
10/11/2017 10:05am
They did it for about 30 years with Amateurs riding Sunday on SX tracks slightly detuned. It is easily doable and adds far more entertainment value...
They did it for about 30 years with Amateurs riding Sunday on SX tracks slightly detuned. It is easily doable and adds far more entertainment value, and fills up the seats far more effectively. Families need something to enjoy, Dad and Mom bring little Jimmy to watch the kids. It really makes spectators appreciate the difference in talent the big guys have. And I know at our local tracks there are plenty of kids who can clear all the jumps on 85's.
Sounds like a good reason for the factories to divert even more money away from the pros to fund "amateur" 12 year olds.
10/11/2017 10:05am
They did it for about 30 years with Amateurs riding Sunday on SX tracks slightly detuned. It is easily doable and adds far more entertainment value...
Agree to disagree. You're out to lunch.
RangerLee
10/11/2017 10:11am
This thought had nothing to do with adding kids, these are all pro's with SX license, just those who did not make it to the main event for some reason or other.

There have been times where front running pros did not make the main event, crazy situation happened in the LCQ and bam, no points that night.

Imagine that same person now races in the "B" main or final (I like the final name). They win, they are in next week, though they still get a better gate pick qualifying higher during the heat race.
Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 10:16am
It's just an intermission filler. I assume they will still have the KTM 50's anyway. We are talking about content of the Night Show.
10/11/2017 10:26am
just make the LCQ longer, 10-15 laps then it becomes the "B" main. Give out points for the podium and carry on with like 20 guys in the main event (10 per heat race) allow a provisional main event start for any rider within top 15 in points, but they forfeit the "B" main and the points it gives.

Johnny Depp
10/11/2017 3:09pm
It's just an intermission filler. I assume they will still have the KTM 50's anyway. We are talking about content of the Night Show.
It looks like the intermission program is already filled by the KTM 50's again. (I hope they don't break any of those kids in halfWoohoo ). https://motocrossactionmag.com/inside-ktms-2018-junior-supercross-progr…

Since we still don't have any official announcement of the format, we may or may not have semi's to get into the (supposed) 3 main event motos? We don't know how much time is left in the program to fill, they could be making it shorter?

I am not a fan of the 3 main event format, although I think it's better than what we have now. I'd prefer 4 quarterfinals, 2 semi's and a main.

Post a reply to: SX "B" main idea by Matthes..

The Latest