SI Top 10 Fittest Men

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/25/2016 5:42am
visser62 wrote:
Nino Schurter should be on that list.
That guy is a monster. As is Julien Absalon, especially for his age. I don't think they are entirely human.
mxdude105
5/25/2016 6:02am
That list is bullshit. I do amateur triathlons and some of the high finishers are in better overall fitness than any of those clowns. Can't even imagine the ironman guys.
TailSoHard
5/25/2016 6:44am
Lucifa. wrote:
I'd put pro cycling fitter that pro motocross. Have you seen how hard and long those buggers ride for in the mountains? I doubt even Dungey...
I'd put pro cycling fitter that pro motocross. Have you seen how hard and long those buggers ride for in the mountains? I doubt even Dungey could do a five hour MX race.
Maybe Dungey couldn't, but I'd bet there are guys in our sport who could... Johnny Walker comes to mind. Or Kailub Russell, Graham Jarvis, Russell Bobbitt... Hell I bet even Plessinger could would do pretty well in an endurance MX race

The Shop

Jt$
5/25/2016 7:04am
Elite levels of fitness are so specialized to their discipline that it's impossible to discern who is "more fit". A TDF cyclist's upper body is devoid of any strength whatsoever. A world class wrestler would get smoked by a local pro cyclist. Ryan Dungey would get rolled up by a local pro wrestler and a pro surfer would get lapped in a four lap REM race at Glen Helen. It's all relative and impossible to compare.
stantdm
5/25/2016 7:09am
SI probably doesn't even consider SX or MX from a athletic standpoint. Motorcycle racing isn't a sport to them.
TSCHAM101
5/25/2016 7:11am
some of the posts on here are flat ridiculous.. Ben Smith is probably in the best shape compared to any of these guys. He can run miles better than most can, swim better than many, put 300-500lbs above his head from the ground.. If you think thats not fit, what the hell is your definition of fit.

Oh and he also makes Cash for just exercising as you guys say
kawasa84
5/25/2016 7:40am
TeamGreen wrote:
I live in a world where EVERYONE knows who the Kardashians are and NO-ONE knows who their Sec-Def or even their Sec-State is. I live in...
I live in a world where EVERYONE knows who the Kardashians are and NO-ONE knows who their Sec-Def or even their Sec-State is.

I live in a World where people want me to vote for Donald Trump.

I live in a World where people pay DJs MILLIONS of dollars to play recorded music.

I live in a World where people try to tell me that Nicki Minaj is a great singer.

And...I live in a World where implied "Journalists" make a POS list like that...

Meanwhile, a Truly Healthy athlete is paddling out at Ho'okippa ...

Hey, World?
Keep your lists to yourselves.
Bultaco wrote:
Sickening isn't it.
Don't forget, you live in a world where back in October, 2015, Jeff Bezos, Founder of Amazon.com made $7 Billion in one day. Those guys work way harder than you and me for that kind of money.

Here in TX I live in a world where we give Billionaires hundreds of millions of dollars to build them stadiums.

Wish I wasn't on that list.
NotCore
5/25/2016 7:46am
I put about as much stock in the SI list as I do the Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists list.
Mr. G wrote:
Steve Vai didn't even make the top 100 list.
Haven't seen the list, but that would be truly shocking.
Flatliner
5/25/2016 7:48am
JW381 wrote:
This topic is as original as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke these days. It inspires the same quality of conversation, too. Dudes who have played other...
This topic is as original as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke these days. It inspires the same quality of conversation, too.

Dudes who have played other sports competitively know that Motorcross isn't the only physically demanding gig out there. Dudes who were cut from football in 6th grade, and only race motorcoss, have a chip on their shoulder and swear that mx is the hardest thing a human being can put themselves thru.

Yawn
Mx was harder than HS football for me, but my brief dabble into mixed martial arts was by far the worst. Those guys have cardio, and are strong as heck.
Flatliner
5/25/2016 7:51am
FOSSILMOTO wrote:
No NHL....Please....
I know quite a few guys who played pro in Europe, a few who got scolarships in the states, and a guy who played for the predators.

They all work hard in season, but drank like fish too.
Fearo
5/25/2016 8:05am
Nobody on that list is in the same zip code as the 10 fittest athletes in the world

A few of them (like Ronaldo or James) could be considered for a "most well-rounded athlete" list, but that would be it.
captmoto
5/25/2016 8:38am
Lucifa. wrote:
I'd put pro cycling fitter that pro motocross. Have you seen how hard and long those buggers ride for in the mountains? I doubt even Dungey...
I'd put pro cycling fitter that pro motocross. Have you seen how hard and long those buggers ride for in the mountains? I doubt even Dungey could do a five hour MX race.
Same as soccer, no real upper body strength involved.
TDeath21
5/25/2016 8:49am
LeBron? No way. Most athletic maybe but not fittest. He cramps up all the time. I'd put Djokovic higher personally. Westbrook definitely should be on the list. These lists are so hard though because these athletes are "fit" for their respective sport. JJ Watt is extremely fit, but his fitness and training is to go all out for 5-10 seconds then rest for 30. Lionel Messi is extremely fit, but his fitness and training is to be constantly running for two 45 minute intervals.
edgo897
5/25/2016 9:04am
How fit does one need to be to sit on a motorcycle?
robkinuk
5/25/2016 9:11am
SI?.......................only good for their swimwear issue!WinkTongueSmileSmileKissing
Bearuno
5/25/2016 9:13am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2016 9:13am
Don't ever think that top level cyclists entire bodies are not immensely strong in relation to their lack of bulk in their upper body - their upper body has to provide the 'anchor' for all of that power / effort being transmitted into the pedals.

As for the list - well, as people above have said / implied, it's a list done for the average Joe / Joette who reads SI to relate to, and one made to 'big up' conventional , or, 'in the current spotlight' sports. Though, I don't doubt that they are all very fit, for their intended sports, even those I've never heard of.

I've always taken the Swimsuit issues to be the ones that show some of the 'fittest' bodies on earth........Woohoo
Spankey
5/25/2016 9:19am
I agree. I keep up on Wrestling and he is a freak!
Spankey
5/25/2016 9:20am
JW381 wrote:
This topic is as original as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke these days. It inspires the same quality of conversation, too. Dudes who have played other...
This topic is as original as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke these days. It inspires the same quality of conversation, too.

Dudes who have played other sports competitively know that Motorcross isn't the only physically demanding gig out there. Dudes who were cut from football in 6th grade, and only race motorcoss, have a chip on their shoulder and swear that mx is the hardest thing a human being can put themselves thru.

Yawn
Flatliner wrote:
Mx was harder than HS football for me, but my brief dabble into mixed martial arts was by far the worst. Those guys have cardio, and...
Mx was harder than HS football for me, but my brief dabble into mixed martial arts was by far the worst. Those guys have cardio, and are strong as heck.
Try wrestling.
Flip109
5/25/2016 9:25am
JW381 wrote:

Yawn
Thank you
eGGz
5/25/2016 9:29am
The ignorant herd love lists and countdowns.
Lists and countdowns exist only to incite an opportunity to express one's opinion.
The more inaccurate said list/countdown is the more people get sucked in. Which in turn draws attention to a particular product.
In this case, Sports Illustrated.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
5/25/2016 9:48am
ipbrew wrote:
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN: 1. Ashton Eaton / Track and Field, Decathlete 2. LeBron James / Cleveland Cavaliers 3. Ben Smith / Crossfit 4. Jon...
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN:
1. Ashton Eaton / Track and Field, Decathlete
2. LeBron James / Cleveland Cavaliers
3. Ben Smith / Crossfit
4. Jon Jones / UFC
5. Usain Bolt / Track and Field, Sprint
6. Cristiano Ronaldo / Real Madrid
7. Russell Westbrook / Oklahoma City Thunder
8. Jordan Burroughs/ USA Wrestling
9. Novak Djokovic / ATP Tennis
10. Renaud Lavillenie / Pole Vaulter

How would motocrossers stack up?
coming from SI...this list seems very opinionated. more like they just grabbed a handful of top names in various sports
IceMan446
5/25/2016 9:54am
ipbrew wrote:
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN: 1. Ashton Eaton / Track and Field, Decathlete 2. LeBron James / Cleveland Cavaliers 3. Ben Smith / Crossfit 4. Jon...
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN:
3. Ben Smith / Crossfit
4. Jon Jones / UFC

The only three that deserve to be on the list.

Ben Smith = mirror muscles.
Flip109
5/25/2016 10:03am
IceMan446 wrote:

Mirror muscles??? Are you fucking kidding me? His work capacity is through the roof.
5/25/2016 10:19am
TeamGreen wrote:
I live in a world where EVERYONE knows who the Kardashians are and NO-ONE knows who their Sec-Def or even their Sec-State is. I live in...
I live in a world where EVERYONE knows who the Kardashians are and NO-ONE knows who their Sec-Def or even their Sec-State is.

I live in a World where people want me to vote for Donald Trump.

I live in a World where people pay DJs MILLIONS of dollars to play recorded music.

I live in a World where people try to tell me that Nicki Minaj is a great singer.

And...I live in a World where implied "Journalists" make a POS list like that...

Meanwhile, a Truly Healthy athlete is paddling out at Ho'okippa ...

Hey, World?
Keep your lists to yourselves.
If you want people to keep their opinions to themselves then maybe you should try it too.
Mx Wildcat
5/25/2016 10:28am
ipbrew wrote:
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN:
3. Ben Smith / Crossfit
4. Jon Jones / UFC

IceMan446 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPcPhhp6404

Clean and Jerk- 360lbs
Snatch- 300lbs
Backsquat- 500lbs
and can probably run close to a 5:00 mile.

2015 CrossFit Champion

Right...mirror muscles. He should have been #1 on that list. The guy exercises/works out for a living.
ns503
5/25/2016 10:34am
TDeath21 wrote:
LeBron? No way. Most athletic maybe but not fittest. He cramps up all the time. I'd put Djokovic higher personally. Westbrook definitely should be on the...
LeBron? No way. Most athletic maybe but not fittest. He cramps up all the time. I'd put Djokovic higher personally. Westbrook definitely should be on the list. These lists are so hard though because these athletes are "fit" for their respective sport. JJ Watt is extremely fit, but his fitness and training is to go all out for 5-10 seconds then rest for 30. Lionel Messi is extremely fit, but his fitness and training is to be constantly running for two 45 minute intervals.
He seems to fall down a lot too.

That doesn't seem very athletic.

Smile
Mr. G
5/25/2016 11:07am
I put about as much stock in the SI list as I do the Rolling Stone top 100 guitarists list.
Mr. G wrote:
Steve Vai didn't even make the top 100 list.
NotCore wrote:
Haven't seen the list, but that would be truly shocking.
Not top 100: Satriani, Holdsworth, McAlpine, Malmsteen, Becker etc. not to mention any jazz guys.
Doogan551
5/25/2016 11:10am
ipbrew wrote:
SI's TOP 10 FITTEST MEN:
3. Ben Smith / Crossfit
4. Jon Jones / UFC

8. Burroughs is definitely a bad dude.... he's been killing it for a while now....

Post a reply to: SI Top 10 Fittest Men

The Latest