Ryder Cup vs MXdN

500guy
The USA Ryder cup Team finally won after a 4 year drought over the week it got me noticing some major differences between this event and the MXdN.

The Ryder cup team had guy's fighting to get on the Team and even showing up to help after not being picked for the Team.

The USA MXdN Team gives off the Vibe of Who's turn is it and I'm not really up for it let someone else go and race.

The whole Industry and all the riders either need to commit 100% or stop going, it is either important or it is not.

I have no issue with any Team we have sent or how they did, I just take issue with the overall vibe.

Ricky Carmichael made this event important for his era , The torch needs to stay lit.
|
Sodipop
10/3/2016 9:03am
Ryan Dungey went to one and not the other
Olson
10/3/2016 9:03am
And they're also doing it for free. Maybe the fact that they only play every second year builds up a bigger urge to participate and leaves the thought "there's always next year" out.
Bearuno
10/3/2016 9:04am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 9:07am
It's called Freewill, 500guy.

You don't want someone there, that doesn't want to be there. No matter how much of a 'star' they are, or how much of a 'fan boi' you or others are of them. You can't force interest.

Golf....... There's a hell of a lot of difference between a fancy set of clubs, and a Motorcycle(s). And, getting either of them, and their 'support' to the events. Yes, I know it's more than that simplistic comparison, but Golf and Motocross......... As they say, the best use of a golf course, is as an Motocross track.

My mates and I, did just that with the golf course that wends through our little suburb, when we were young. And, it was largely tolerated, as we had the sense to not carve up the Ts or the Greens. I still use one stretch of grassed downhill, that has about 30 rolling whoops up the fairway, and out into the 'rough', for 4x and DH bike suspension set up. Whistling
TXDirt
10/3/2016 9:58am
Imagine if when Reed made that incredible putt and was celebrating had another golfer came up behind him and teed off across his head with the one wood knocking him unconscious.

That's what happened to Anderson!

The Shop

500guy
10/3/2016 10:11am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 10:12am
TXDirt wrote:
Imagine if when Reed made that incredible putt and was celebrating had another golfer came up behind him and teed off across his head with the...
Imagine if when Reed made that incredible putt and was celebrating had another golfer came up behind him and teed off across his head with the one wood knocking him unconscious.

LMAO

I think it would be more funny if it was a person from the crowd, Weekend hacker.
ando
10/3/2016 11:14am
Bearuno wrote:
It's called Freewill, 500guy. You don't want someone there, that doesn't want to be there. No matter how much of a 'star' they are, or how...
It's called Freewill, 500guy.

You don't want someone there, that doesn't want to be there. No matter how much of a 'star' they are, or how much of a 'fan boi' you or others are of them. You can't force interest.

Golf....... There's a hell of a lot of difference between a fancy set of clubs, and a Motorcycle(s). And, getting either of them, and their 'support' to the events. Yes, I know it's more than that simplistic comparison, but Golf and Motocross......... As they say, the best use of a golf course, is as an Motocross track.

My mates and I, did just that with the golf course that wends through our little suburb, when we were young. And, it was largely tolerated, as we had the sense to not carve up the Ts or the Greens. I still use one stretch of grassed downhill, that has about 30 rolling whoops up the fairway, and out into the 'rough', for 4x and DH bike suspension set up. Whistling
You're missing the point. It's not about free choice, it's about this: why does sport A have people lining up to represent their country, and sport B have people making excuses about why they can't be there.
500guy
10/3/2016 11:29am
In my mind the USA needs a qualification process that eliminates the politics and sponsor pressure from rider choice.

Then they need a set way to fund this venture every year. Part of every Supercross and every Outdoor National income needs to be put forth towards this one event.

USA either wants to be in this or they don't, it's time to make a choice and stop wondering how it's going to be every year.

The USA could benefit from some sort of counsel or task force or shit can it.
dirtdog36
10/3/2016 11:29am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 11:31am
my 2 cents:
golfers don't risk life and limb with each round...

also while the golfers do play for free, each of their colleges are donated $100,000.00 by the PGA. YS and GL getting rich on the riders that don't make a dime on this event is stupid... at a minimum YS and GL should cover cost but they don't so guys go take the risk for "pride"

I can only compare our guys to bull riders or NFL players in the fact that each time they participate in their chosen sport they can suffer major injury. Do you think an NFL player would play a game without pay? or bull rider riding in a rodeo for no purse? of course not

I did not like his attitude at the time but as I have gotten older I tend to agree with him: CP377 said he would rather not ride than ride for too little money. Why? the risk is too high... that is from a guy that we can all agree has been there done that, not a key board warrior
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
10/3/2016 1:54pm
500guy wrote:
The USA Ryder cup Team finally won after a 4 year drought over the week it got me noticing some major differences between this event and...
The USA Ryder cup Team finally won after a 4 year drought over the week it got me noticing some major differences between this event and the MXdN.

The Ryder cup team had guy's fighting to get on the Team and even showing up to help after not being picked for the Team.

The USA MXdN Team gives off the Vibe of Who's turn is it and I'm not really up for it let someone else go and race.

The whole Industry and all the riders either need to commit 100% or stop going, it is either important or it is not.

I have no issue with any Team we have sent or how they did, I just take issue with the overall vibe.

Ricky Carmichael made this event important for his era , The torch needs to stay lit.
The Ryder cup also is not Europe every time, It's every other. That makes a huge difference.
ga_pike
10/3/2016 3:42pm
TXDirt wrote:
Imagine if when Reed made that incredible putt and was celebrating had another golfer came up behind him and teed off across his head with the...

Not really. It would be more like Reed made a putt to win the 12rh hole and take a 2 up lead and then got hit by an errant drive from another golfer and he was unable to continue.
Olson
10/3/2016 3:53pm
Park Boys wrote:
The Ryder cup also is not Europe every time, It's every other. That makes a huge difference.
Except between 1947-2017 it's been held in the states three times and it was never an issue in the past for the muricans to show up. It's been in Australia once and yet they show up every time, just like Japan and NZ that has never hosted it. I'm not saying they shouldn't move the race to other continents, but it's a pretty lame excuse to use for not going.
lestat
10/3/2016 5:22pm
ando wrote:
You're missing the point. It's not about free choice, it's about this: why does sport A have people lining up to represent their country, and sport...
You're missing the point. It's not about free choice, it's about this: why does sport A have people lining up to represent their country, and sport B have people making excuses about why they can't be there.
That's a good question .

I would say that one of the reasons , is that the sponsors of sport A see the value of their athletes competing in this type of event and the sponsors of sport B do not .

For example .... it is bizzare to me that Tomac's sponsors would rather have him at the USGP's than the MXDN . I just don't get their thinking ... If I was sponsoring a rider , the one race that I really hope he makes it to , would be the MXDN . ROI wise it's a no brainer for me .... but what do I know .
TXDirt
10/3/2016 5:49pm
ando wrote:
You're missing the point. It's not about free choice, it's about this: why does sport A have people lining up to represent their country, and sport...
lestat wrote:
That's a good question . I would say that one of the reasons , is that the sponsors of sport A see the value of their...
That's a good question .

I would say that one of the reasons , is that the sponsors of sport A see the value of their athletes competing in this type of event and the sponsors of sport B do not .

For example .... it is bizzare to me that Tomac's sponsors would rather have him at the USGP's than the MXDN . I just don't get their thinking ... If I was sponsoring a rider , the one race that I really hope he makes it to , would be the MXDN . ROI wise it's a no brainer for me .... but what do I know .
Until sponsors start paying riders who get picked then the riders won't care. We can't fault a rider who declining a race that does not pay him. Nearly every other money sport that has an all star game or pro bowl or whatever it's called, the people selected get a bonus. If you get picked for the MXDN you should be paid. Period. Until it's in the contracts then riders will continue to decline invites. With the amount of money that teams pay, gear companies pay, etc.. A rider should make 50-100k for being selected and going to MXDN.
lestat
10/3/2016 6:12pm
TXDirt wrote:
Until sponsors start paying riders who get picked then the riders won't care. We can't fault a rider who declining a race that does not pay...
Until sponsors start paying riders who get picked then the riders won't care. We can't fault a rider who declining a race that does not pay him. Nearly every other money sport that has an all star game or pro bowl or whatever it's called, the people selected get a bonus. If you get picked for the MXDN you should be paid. Period. Until it's in the contracts then riders will continue to decline invites. With the amount of money that teams pay, gear companies pay, etc.. A rider should make 50-100k for being selected and going to MXDN.
Exactly .

Why they don't is beyond me .

Gear companies for example . EVERY year before the MXDN there is a thread on vital , showing off the gear that different riders from different nations will be wearing . Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that ?? I have never seen potential customers getting excited about products for any other races like they do for the MXDN . Go to Mx media sites from different countries and you will see close up shots of HELMETS of their riders in the race reports , for gawds sake . That doesn't happen for other races .

If exposure is the name of the game .... the MXDN delivers like no other .
tobz
10/3/2016 6:45pm
Golf and mx? Apples and oranges. Poor analogy.
Bearuno
10/3/2016 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 6:59pm
Monster are major sponsors of both the GPs And the MXDN.

I think it just came down to what Tomac was willing to do.

Simple as that - no condemnation from me. He did a couple of MXDNs, and missed out on the adulation shown to the winners, and probably coped a fair amount of flack from a few dickheads, and probably had enough. Move on, select riders untill you get one that Wants to go. That's how it (should) work.

Two totally different sports. Well, ones a good way to spoil a nice walk, as far as I'm concerned, and I grew up with it all around me, literally. The other, is one of the greatest sports ever devised.
bents
Fantasy
710th
10/3/2016 8:35pm
Olson wrote:
And they're also doing it for free. Maybe the fact that they only play every second year builds up a bigger urge to participate and leaves...
And they're also doing it for free. Maybe the fact that they only play every second year builds up a bigger urge to participate and leaves the thought "there's always next year" out.
Totally agree. It should be every second year, and everyone else has already put forward some great concepts forward concerning payment in some form. As it ia right now, Luongo makes a boatload of cash for this every year thing. And, the sport has progressed to the point that it should every two years, alternating in Europe and the US. If the Ryder Cup were held every year it would really lose its luster-I totally believe this.
Bearuno
10/3/2016 10:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2016 10:09pm
No, leave it the fuck alone.

No 'every two years', and every second in the US.

That's just pandering to what 'you' want.

Our sport has been manipulated too much already.

I don't give a damn about how golf does things, it bears no relationship to Motocross.

That Luongo is the one that makes a massive amount from the MXDN is a crime - well, the way some of his accomplices within the FIM gave him the 'ownership' of World MX was the first part of a continuing crime. Luongo / Youthstream, are a virus within the sport.
BobPA
10/3/2016 10:09pm
500guy wrote:
The USA Ryder cup Team finally won after a 4 year drought over the week it got me noticing some major differences between this event and...

8 year drought....
KMC440
10/4/2016 12:47am Edited Date/Time 10/4/2016 1:24am
^^ thank you Bob for the correction. ..

To me the MXdN should be a bi-annual event. Ran by a committee of promoters and teams within each series. Hell give Red Bull the opportunity to sponsor the US rounds (every 4yrs) and Monster the Euro events. Seems to me that alone would increase the competition between the sponsors...
Red Bull ... More Cowbell - Monster. .. Strippers !!!
jamma10
10/4/2016 1:49am
bents wrote:
Totally agree. It should be every second year, and everyone else has already put forward some great concepts forward concerning payment in some form. As it...
Totally agree. It should be every second year, and everyone else has already put forward some great concepts forward concerning payment in some form. As it ia right now, Luongo makes a boatload of cash for this every year thing. And, the sport has progressed to the point that it should every two years, alternating in Europe and the US. If the Ryder Cup were held every year it would really lose its luster-I totally believe this.
'Luongo makes a boatload of cash for this every year thing'

How much does he make?
Whitey
10/4/2016 2:04am
The ryder cup is every 2 years as now the year in between the president's cup is played. Usa versus rest of the world minus europe.
10/4/2016 3:43am
ando wrote:
lestat wrote:
That's a good question . I would say that one of the reasons , is that the sponsors of sport A see the value of their...
That's a good question .

TXDirt wrote:
Until sponsors start paying riders who get picked then the riders won't care. We can't fault a rider who declining a race that does not pay...
50-100k for one race??

Rick Johnson said in the studio show that it was in his factory Honda contract to do the races they wanted,the MXDN if he was picked.

How do US riders get paid for SX for example,is it per race or are they on a salary to do the series? Win bonuses should apply to every race,I would expect Cairoli gets something for example and KTM would expect him to do the MXdN
joeellis
10/4/2016 5:00am
Bearuno wrote:
Monster are major sponsors of both the GPs And the MXDN. I think it just came down to what Tomac was willing to do. Simple as...
Monster are major sponsors of both the GPs And the MXDN.

I think it just came down to what Tomac was willing to do.

Simple as that - no condemnation from me. He did a couple of MXDNs, and missed out on the adulation shown to the winners, and probably coped a fair amount of flack from a few dickheads, and probably had enough. Move on, select riders untill you get one that Wants to go. That's how it (should) work.

Two totally different sports. Well, ones a good way to spoil a nice walk, as far as I'm concerned, and I grew up with it all around me, literally. The other, is one of the greatest sports ever devised.
I agree.

I will say this. In the past several years, many of the American golfers have complained quite a bit about the Ryder Cup. Not getting paid was only one of their complaints. The fact that it was a week long event in which they were required to spend much more time in front of the media and all the other festivities was another. There were more reasons stated. I believe what you've seen in recent Ryder Cup's for the Americans is the fact there has been an influx of young blood. Give the event a little longer and we'll see how enthusiastic these kids are.

This is in no way a slight on the European athletes or fans. If anything, it's the other way around, but even the European commentators at the Ryder Cup said that these events mean way more to them than us. People have the right to dispute this, but these aren't my remarks. These guys justified their comments by stating how the European media begins focusing on the forthcoming Ryder Cup (in two years) almost immediately after that years event concludes.

Most European fans here can't imagine this mentality and I suppose they have every right. You would think that everyone would jump at that opportunity, but I've said it before (not that my opinion means anything). For many of the American riders that participate in 2 yearly series as grueling as they are, I see why they aren't overly excited by the MXdesN. They have to travel. They have to deal with all the media circus. They don't get paid. They take a huge chance of sustaining injury which will hinder their upcoming preparation. Possibly for some time.

It isn't that I like this mentality, but I certainly get it.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
10/4/2016 5:51am
Olson wrote:
Except between 1947-2017 it's been held in the states three times and it was never an issue in the past for the muricans to show up...
Except between 1947-2017 it's been held in the states three times and it was never an issue in the past for the muricans to show up. It's been in Australia once and yet they show up every time, just like Japan and NZ that has never hosted it. I'm not saying they shouldn't move the race to other continents, but it's a pretty lame excuse to use for not going.
Regardless it's a massive difference between the two. The Ryder cup probably would not exist if it was in Europe or America every time.
500guy
10/4/2016 7:09am
No idea why everyone is getting the wrong impression of my post.

it's not about Golf or Motorcycles, or when the events are ran. it's about the difference between all the support and the desire of all the top players to be there (Golf) vs some of the top guy's trying to get out of it. (MX)
TXDirt
10/4/2016 8:03am
lestat wrote:
That's a good question .

TXDirt wrote:
50-100k for one race?? Rick Johnson said in the studio show that it was in his factory Honda contract to do the races they wanted,the MXDN...
50-100k for one race??

Rick Johnson said in the studio show that it was in his factory Honda contract to do the races they wanted,the MXDN if he was picked.

How do US riders get paid for SX for example,is it per race or are they on a salary to do the series? Win bonuses should apply to every race,I would expect Cairoli gets something for example and KTM would expect him to do the MXdN
Yes, it's one race, but it is also internationally the biggest race of the year.

Team Captain should get 100k
Second 450 rider should get 75k
250 rider should get 50k

That's pretty small potatoes in the overall big picture of what these guys get paid from their sponsors.

These races are obviously not in their contracts and that is why the riders are able to turn it down. They are not contractually obligated to do the MXDN and their is zero financial incentive to race this race.
10/4/2016 9:21am
TXDirt wrote:
50-100k for one race?? Rick Johnson said in the studio show that it was in his factory Honda contract to do the races they wanted,the MXDN...
50-100k for one race??

TXDirt wrote:
Yes, it's one race, but it is also internationally the biggest race of the year. Team Captain should get 100k Second 450 rider should get 75k...
Yes, it's one race, but it is also internationally the biggest race of the year.

250 rider should get 50k

That's pretty small potatoes in the overall big picture of what these guys get paid from their sponsors.

These races are obviously not in their contracts and that is why the riders are able to turn it down. They are not contractually obligated to do the MXDN and their is zero financial incentive to race this race.
So are those figures for each team?

It's only fair to pay France,Netherlands etc too.

joeellis
10/4/2016 9:43am
50-100k for one race??

TXDirt wrote:
Yes, it's one race, but it is also internationally the biggest race of the year. Team Captain should get 100k Second 450 rider should get 75k...

250 rider should get 50k

I don't want to put words in TXDirt's mouth, but I believe he was talking about American riders being paid by American sources and not the MXdesN people.
TXDirt
10/4/2016 9:45am
TXDirt wrote:

250 rider should get 50k

joeellis wrote:
I don't want to put words in TXDirt's mouth, but I believe he was talking about American riders being paid by American sources and not the...
I don't want to put words in TXDirt's mouth, but I believe he was talking about American riders being paid by American sources and not the MXdesN people.
Correct.

Post a reply to: Ryder Cup vs MXdN

The Latest