Who pays medical for factory riders?

Stephon
Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 8:46pm
Are they self insured or is it part of their contract? What about satellite teams? I can't even begin to see how privateers are able to budget injuries.
|
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
7/16/2015 7:02pm
Self insured from what I heard, they aren't even considered employed by they factory. That's just what I understand, if this is wrong, someone correct me.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2015 7:13pm
RCB33 wrote:
Self insured from what I heard, they aren't even considered employed by they factory. That's just what I understand, if this is wrong, someone correct me.
You are correct, from what I know.

Although @ ANY AMA professional race, you have insurance while competing in the event. It doesn't cover everything, but as long as you have your own insurance, the additional coverage will help with the costs.

I know several riders who not only carry top notch medical coverage, but also an additional policy in case of a career ending crash. I believe Jeff Emig cashed in on that one...
h&m_cycle
7/16/2015 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 7:17pm
They are a Independent Contractor but I believe this is a "small" benefit of holding a pro license... Medical bills first
50k ?

rucka356
7/16/2015 7:26pm
We do. Looked at your premiums lately? I don't use a fraction of what i pay in, so i'm sure some of it's gone to help one or more riders cover a surgery or dr visit. Of course the freeloaders get most of it though. :-).

The Shop

Starcrossed
7/16/2015 7:33pm
My understanding of the term "self insured," is that it refers to somebody who has no policy in effect to cover the costs of an injury, and the individual would be responsible for paying the expenses out of pocket.
As far as "Excess medical," I believe that refers to the costs that are over and above what the riders' primary policy would cover, or the per incident limit.
I've never raced an AMA pro event but I believe that every rider must provide proof of medical insurance to participate, regardless of who pays for it.
dboivin
7/16/2015 7:37pm
seems like its been mentioned on here a few times that factories will take policies out to protect their investment...i.e. if rider gets hurt and has to sit out, insurance kicks in to pay salary, etc... its a high premium but insures if the rider gets hurt 1st race and sits out 2years of contract with injury they are protected to a certain point. I've also heard of individual riders taking out policies on themselves in case they got hurt. High premiums but allows them to race to full potential and let it all hang out. Kinda betting on themselves per say.

just regurgitating hearsay so not an expert on it. I could be totally full of shit. (most likely)
yruu
7/16/2015 7:55pm
Stephon wrote:
Are they self insured or is it part of their contract? What about satellite teams? I can't even begin to see how privateers are able to...
Are they self insured or is it part of their contract? What about satellite teams? I can't even begin to see how privateers are able to budget injuries.
It's good that the A.M.A covers secondary insurance however, they along with the promoter should cover all privateers 100% I think it's a crime that teams don't cover all their riders 100 % They are forcing a riders union, oh its coming!
Stephon
7/16/2015 8:32pm
Stephon wrote:
Are they self insured or is it part of their contract? What about satellite teams? I can't even begin to see how privateers are able to...
yruu wrote:
It's good that the A.M.A covers secondary insurance however, they along with the promoter should cover all privateers 100% I think it's a crime that teams...
It's good that the A.M.A covers secondary insurance however, they along with the promoter should cover all privateers 100% I think it's a crime that teams don't cover all their riders 100 % They are forcing a riders union, oh its coming!
I REALLY wish the riders had some form of a union to represent them. It's such a small sport that I just can't imagine what it would take for union to be formed. It's almost like you would need the big guys to sit out A1 and pay what all the other riders would make or something far fetched like that.

I must say that I'm a member of SAG AFTRA actors union and I'm very, very grateful for the protections that I have as a performer. It certainly isn't perfect but it's much, much better than if I didn't have any the protection my dues afford me. It's where my medical coverage and my pension is.

Post a reply to: Who pays medical for factory riders?

The Latest