Ryan Sipes Retirement Letter

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 10/17/2013 10:42am
Got this from Ryan. Sorry to see him walk away, but glad that he can - GuyB

I have decided to retire from full time professional supercross and motocross. God has blessed me these past 10 years, racing the best riders in the world, riding the best bikes, on the best tracks, in the best series', in front of the best fans on earth, and getting to know a lot of great people in the moto community. We made some great memories, and that's something that will stick with me forever. It's been a good run, but its time for this old hillbilly to step away and be with his family. I still love riding and racing, and I will surely miss lining up at Anaheim in January and Hangtown in May, but my priorities are at home now. The full schedule is just not in the cards for me anymore. That's not to say I won't do SOME racing...once a racer, always a racer. I am excited for what the future holds for me. Over the years I have worked with some really great people, without whom I wouldn't have had the success I experienced. In no particular order, I'd like to thank them here:

Mom and Dad, Pooh, Holly and Ava, my grandparents and all my family, the fans and the industry for welcoming a kid from Kentucky with open arms and supporting me over the years, Rockstar Energy, James Hanson, Mike Kelso, Randy Lawrence, Steve and Denise Hatch, Ray and Lorraine Currie, Cody Currie, Casey Currie, Bobby and Karen Hewitt, Dave Gowland, Dragon goggles, Airoh helmets, FMF, One Industries, Leatt, Jason McCune, Paul Lindsay, Bob Moore, Brian Fleck, Broc Glover, all the Dunlop guys, Asterisk, Doc Bodnar, Dr. Reiman, Dr. Alexander, Dr. Corey King, Dr. Augustine, Dr. Medsker, Dr. Navarro, Dr. G, Eddie Casillas, Dr. Stephen Legate, Robb Beams, John and Scott Parkinson, Racer X, Transworld Moto, Vital MX, Pit Pass Radio, Moto X Addicts, the wild dudes at DMXS Radio, Hammer Nutrition, Brian Frank, Gearne boots, O'neal, Shift, No Fear, Spy, Scott goggles, Shoei, Bell, RG3, Troy Lee Designs, Alpinstars, Cti2, MB1, KYB, Showa, Renthal, Team Green, Tag, Pro Taper, Moto Tassinari, RK Excel, Pro Circuit, Guts seats, Odi, Roger Decoster, Rockford Fosgate, Jason Brewington, Brad Williams, WBR Racing, Tony Sulek, Scott Budzynski, Ryan Morais, David and Shaun Bailey, Mike Kranyak, Todd Jacobs, Michael and Big Mike Lapaglia, Schnikey, Ziggy, Jeff Majkrzak, Charles Petrone, Billy and Susan Willian, Gary Bailey, Kelly Smith, Mitch Barnes, Steve Hudson, Shawn Clark, Mitch Norwood, Justin Fiero, GoPro, Steve Lamson, Kurt Nicoll, Danny Paladino, Toad, Ryan Ragland, Mike Genova, Jeff Pinehart, Chris Durham, Dave Viers, Steve and Ryan McGehee, Craig Martin, Ron Heben, Reid Nordin, Don and Lil Donny Emler, Bill Tinsley, Carl Rosania, Terri and Ray Woods, Ricky Carmichael, Bo Lemastus, Jay Baumert, Buzzard Roost MX, Joey Still, Kevin Walker, Mike Purvis, Ryan Fedorow, Scott Adkins, Rich Simmons, Justin Brayton, Wil and Tommy Hahn, Derek Brush, Gibby, Scott Simon, Burke, JT, Jamie Ellis, Scuba Steve Westfall, Cheese, Brent Myron, Jerry Heben, Bradley Rideout and family, Bobby Regan, Todd Brown, Bradley Sipes, Rob Abel, Keith McCarty, Jimmy Perry, Dyno Dan, Bob Oliver, Gerald, Taylor Robert, Dylan Cox and family, Ballance MX, Dave Shelmerdine, Chad Lanza, Allan Brown, Andy Vuleta, Ronnie Caswell, FCA MX, Davey Coombs, Aaron Teague and family, Ryan and Debbie Ritchie and family, Ed Torrance, Chad Ward and family, Tim and Jackie Morais, Troy Wolgemuth. If I forgot you I'm sorry! I am forever grateful for your help.

Love you guys. I will miss you all. See ya round!

Ryan Sipes
|
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
10/14/2013 12:14am
Fark. I wanted to see him take a stab at SX on the 450 full time
DanDunes818
10/14/2013 12:27am
I was lucky enough to get to know Ryan a little bit over the last three years, and there's nobody in the pits that treated me better while I'll tried getting MotoXAddicts off the ground. From day one, Ryan always took time out to talk to us. He was always up for an interview and always friendly whether he killed it at the races or had a shitty night. He always just seemed to appreciate what he got to do for a living, and that people wanted to hear what he had to say. To me that says a lot about the mans character.

Congrats Mr Sipes on an awesome career and good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future. Thanks again for all your help.

Dan Lamb
Crush
10/14/2013 12:52am
That fuckin sux.

I love watching Sipes ride.... Best of luck to him, but a total bummer!
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
10/14/2013 1:16am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2013 1:40am
Remember watching him haul ass when he just turned pro. Maybe 2003? Seems like yesterday to me so I'm surprised he's already retiring and calling himself an old hillbilly. Dang time is flying by. All the best to him and his family.

The Shop

AS64
Fantasy
2175th
10/14/2013 1:25am
This makes me a bit sad but at the same time I am happy for him. He had a heck of a run and I was fortunate enough to see one of his better races live; when he won Seattle. I wish him all the best in his future.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
10/14/2013 1:28am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2013 1:35am
All the best Sipes.

I have been rootin for ya since 06 team WBR.

When you were on it, you were ON IT.

If you apply your humbleness and hard work ethic to anything you will be a champ at it.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Braaaap
S.Loyer
10/14/2013 2:33am
I was lucky enough to get to know Ryan a little bit over the last three years, and there's nobody in the pits that treated me...
I was lucky enough to get to know Ryan a little bit over the last three years, and there's nobody in the pits that treated me better while I'll tried getting MotoXAddicts off the ground. From day one, Ryan always took time out to talk to us. He was always up for an interview and always friendly whether he killed it at the races or had a shitty night. He always just seemed to appreciate what he got to do for a living, and that people wanted to hear what he had to say. To me that says a lot about the mans character.

Congrats Mr Sipes on an awesome career and good luck in whatever you choose to do in the future. Thanks again for all your help.

Dan Lamb
X2.

Ryan was always well gracious to me. I always rooted for him and really bummed to read this.

Good luck Ryan.
tvo314
10/14/2013 2:47am
I'm always happy to see someone get out while they're still relatively healthy. He's a very cool guy who will be missed, but who could blame him for wanting to be a closer to home. Good for him and his family.
Tbteam
10/14/2013 3:12am
That is a proper way to end your career. Thankfully and responsibly.

Good luck with the next chapter, Ryan.
FroDiddy
10/14/2013 3:38am
I've always been a Sipes supporter. Sad to see you go.

Best wishes as you move onward.
10/14/2013 3:51am
such a good rider what a shame.. all the best mate
Shawn142
10/14/2013 4:26am
Much respect and best wishes. Sipes has been around a long time, coming up on 10 years like he mentioned. He had stints on every brand except Kawi and lives to tell the tale with all his limbs still functional. He was always a rider I paid attention to.

daemon616
10/14/2013 4:27am

What an amazing guy. I hate to hear the news but I'm a fan for life.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
10/14/2013 4:51am
Been a big fan of Ryan's and he was always such a cool guy in person, especially to my kids. Sad to see him go, but glad it's for the right reasons and at a time when he can still make a great life for himself and his family. Best of luck, Ryan!
hasko158
10/14/2013 5:20am
Ryan is great guy, lucky to have had a chance to chat with him. I hit him up on twitter as we're both Celtics fans and told him I was headed to Indy SX, he said to stop by. I stopped by and he just sat and we chatted for a while about basketball mostly and little bit of racing. He won that night and since I had an industry pass I went down and he came out and gave a big high five and was showing me the trophy. Great guy, great career and respect his decision to step away.
newmann
10/14/2013 6:07am
Damn shame this sport is so weak at the professional level that a racer of his caliber walks away. At least he walks away healthy. Good luck in your future endeavors young man.
jemcee
10/14/2013 6:23am
the riders that I put in my 'favourite' list are always based on how cool or genuine they are (or seem)

he was definitely on my favourite list (sounds creepy) just seems like a good dude I'd like to hang around with

seems like a lot of good guys retiring..
hvaughn88
10/14/2013 6:29am
As many others have mentioned, I will miss watching him line up at the races. I have no idea what his plans are from here but the selfish part of myself hopes that he pursues a job in the industry just so we can still see him around. Not to mention, I think he would do great in that respect.
David Izer
10/14/2013 7:06am Edited Date/Time 10/14/2013 7:08am
Ryan is a such class act and I'm so glad we were able to cover his entire career. He never changed from the humble, hard-working kid from Kentucky that I met when he was racing amateurs.

You can be proud for the racer you were on the bike, and the man you are off of it. Best of luck ,pal!
Hanaa80
10/14/2013 7:47am
David Izer wrote:
Ryan is a such class act and I'm so glad we were able to cover his entire career. He never changed from the humble, hard-working kid...
Ryan is a such class act and I'm so glad we were able to cover his entire career. He never changed from the humble, hard-working kid from Kentucky that I met when he was racing amateurs.

You can be proud for the racer you were on the bike, and the man you are off of it. Best of luck ,pal!
He is one of my favorite guests on your show, along with Nick Wey and Trey Canard. I hope he'll still be on the show in the future.
TeamGreen
10/14/2013 8:09am
Ryan Sipes is a Gentleman.

I sincerely hope we are lucky enough to see him take on another role in our sport...in our community.
hunt3r
10/14/2013 8:19am
Was always super cool at the races. Got to race him in the AMs a bit and he was easy to know. Great guy. I'm happy he's doing it on his terms and has a beautiful young family welcoming him w/ open arms. He'll do well, no matter what he does. Nobody can say he couldn't run with the top guys in the sport either. Dude could put down a lap.
Camp332
10/14/2013 8:27am
Lots of luck Ryan Bro!

I'll always remember Sipes being a beast on the bike and a cool, humble guy up on the podium. Respect from NJ
Taylor156
10/14/2013 8:49am
Bummer I wanted to see him on a 450 good luck to you my friend it was fun working with you !
davistld01
10/14/2013 9:16am
Wow, what a shame. I got to meet and speak to Ryan at a couple of SX's over the last couple of years and was always impressed with how cool & humble a guy he seemed to be, and how good a rider he was. But, he also seems to have his head on straight and has direction. I certainly wish him the very best.
Titan1
10/14/2013 9:21am
This is a little wishful and hopeful just-putting-it-out-in-the-universe-because-it-would-be-awesome speculation...but what if he's going to give off-road a shot? Maybe his results at the ISDE were enough to warrant a good offer from an off-road team...and with no offers (no good offers) on the MX/SX side...he announced his retirement to get out of any SX/MX contracts...and will then go race off-road?

I would love to see him racing some off-road stuff...but, if he's just calling it a career...I wish him the best!
BRZ
Fantasy
2550th
10/14/2013 9:26am
Best of luck to him!

He seems like a great guy, and I wish him well.

I've been a fan for a long time. Too bad injuries prevented him from reaching his full potential in SX & MX.
TX24
10/14/2013 12:15pm
I always followed his results cause he was from the Midwest. In 2004 I saw him at Broome. They were in a small enclosed trailer pulled behind a pick up truck. He got 11th in one of the motos that day.
Burn2013
10/14/2013 12:22pm
Nice picture tribute. Gonna miss him.

Post a reply to: Ryan Sipes Retirement Letter

The Latest