Rutocross

motomike137
Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 9:17am
GL before the race... ruts, ruts, ruts. There has to be a different way to prep these tracks, riders aren't getting passed, ruts are takingoing them out. It gets old.
|
JW381
6/3/2017 12:31pm
Does seem a little excessive. I get the sense that every track wants to be (modern day) Red Bud.
rmoto003
6/3/2017 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 12:42pm
But riders today are so spoiled...

It was way worse back in my day
rpoint116
6/3/2017 12:57pm
rmoto003 wrote:

I was going to start a new thread on this as well.

I raced in the 70s come early 80s, local tracks were not this bad.

Now they're bragging about disking it 24 inches and flooding with water. This makes no sense. Their wheels are buried 2/3 into the rut. They're creating over the top obstacles for no reason IMO.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/3/2017 12:59pm
rmoto003 wrote:

rpoint116 wrote:
I was going to start a new thread on this as well. I raced in the 70s come early 80s, local tracks were not this bad...

Now they're bragging about disking it 24 inches and flooding with water. This makes no sense. Their wheels are buried 2/3 into the rut. They're creating over the top obstacles for no reason IMO.
Yep and then local tracks think they have to do it so you have people blowing out knees cause they aren't as good at riding these ruts as the pros. Would like to see one of the journalist ask DC if there is a reason for this type of track prep and if the ruts are "desired" on race day.

The Shop

Crush
6/3/2017 1:06pm
They could not till in sawdust; rip and water the straights. That's the answer. Leave that shit to the corners only. Easy.
motomike137
6/3/2017 2:02pm
Figures that I would bitch about the ruts and the racing turns out great...lol.
rongi#401
6/3/2017 2:03pm
yeah and everyone needs a 5 minute break every ten minutes. any other ways youd like to make it easyer for squids to do well?

a tier 2 rider just checked out on a very technical track, quit your whineing and go back to your golf and kittens forum
6/3/2017 2:04pm
I've been complaining a lot about the ruts - but I have to say, after those two motos perhaps it's time to STFU about them! Wow, just wow....
rongi#401
6/3/2017 2:05pm
rmoto003 wrote:

rpoint116 wrote:
I was going to start a new thread on this as well. I raced in the 70s come early 80s, local tracks were not this bad...

yak651 wrote:
Yep and then local tracks think they have to do it so you have people blowing out knees cause they aren't as good at riding these...
Yep and then local tracks think they have to do it so you have people blowing out knees cause they aren't as good at riding these ruts as the pros. Would like to see one of the journalist ask DC if there is a reason for this type of track prep and if the ruts are "desired" on race day.
bro seriously just stop riding then
MXMattii
6/3/2017 2:30pm
yak651 wrote:
Yep and then local tracks think they have to do it so you have people blowing out knees cause they aren't as good at riding these...
Open a topic here with the polite question, he will probably answer. DC can I ask you something about the track-prep... (title) and then your question.
Deetsmx
6/3/2017 2:35pm
I think the close racing is more due to the underpowered bikes than the track. If I recall we've had several good races at this track in the lites class.
rpoint116
6/3/2017 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 8:02am
rpoint116 wrote:

yak651 wrote:
rongi#401 wrote:
bro seriously just stop riding then
OK
6/3/2017 2:39pm
The people that say that the tracks shouldn't be prepped and we should leave it this way are probably the same ones that probably couldn't make one lap around.

I'm all for a tough track but this just seemed poor today. Thankfully the racing has been great.
MXMattii
6/3/2017 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2017 2:52pm
The people that say that the tracks shouldn't be prepped and we should leave it this way are probably the same ones that probably couldn't make...
The people that say that the tracks shouldn't be prepped and we should leave it this way are probably the same ones that probably couldn't make one lap around.

I'm all for a tough track but this just seemed poor today. Thankfully the racing has been great.
The smooth out policy from years back wasn't too bad I guess. Prep it but smooth it out true the day. Prep it different like: don't rip it and groom it so deep, only 2 inch or something like that. Or leave it hard pack if the track is really hard pack like Carlsbad or France style of track.
6/3/2017 3:11pm
Ripping tracks 12 inches deep is destroying motocross. People get hurt because of poor track setup. Unfortunately there are people with the "you must be slow, I'm better than you, though it out bro" kind of attitude. These are the people that limit the growth and are partially responsible for the decline of motocross. How the hell are we going to attract new people when tracks are made for A class guys only and bikes are more expensive than ever? This is why GNCC is taking off IMO.
tcallahan707
6/3/2017 7:17pm
The tracks have evolved because the bikes have evolved. They are bigger and faster than ever. Without ripping it deep and watering it, it wouldn't get rough. Without it getting rough, these dudes would be going Mach 4. Blame the 60HP machines you can buy off the showroom floor.
philG
6/4/2017 4:30am
People confuse 'lines' with Ruts... you can have multiple lines , without having a single rut , but its a disease we need to be rid of, too many tracks here have become a waste of time going to , because Berms have been replaced with bottomless ruts, one particular track , that always used to be a great venue has become a slot car race after practice, when you used to be able to go anywhere you wanted... Its spoiling the sport .
Robgvx
6/4/2017 4:35am
The tracks have evolved because the bikes have evolved. They are bigger and faster than ever. Without ripping it deep and watering it, it wouldn't get...
The tracks have evolved because the bikes have evolved. They are bigger and faster than ever. Without ripping it deep and watering it, it wouldn't get rough. Without it getting rough, these dudes would be going Mach 4. Blame the 60HP machines you can buy off the showroom floor.
Rubbish. Make the track slower with more, and tighter turns.
BobPA
6/4/2017 4:47am
The tracks have evolved because the bikes have evolved. They are bigger and faster than ever. Without ripping it deep and watering it, it wouldn't get...
Robgvx wrote:
No.
38special
6/4/2017 4:48am
Ripping tracks 12 inches deep is destroying motocross. People get hurt because of poor track setup. Unfortunately there are people with the "you must be slow...
Ripping tracks 12 inches deep is destroying motocross. People get hurt because of poor track setup. Unfortunately there are people with the "you must be slow, I'm better than you, though it out bro" kind of attitude. These are the people that limit the growth and are partially responsible for the decline of motocross. How the hell are we going to attract new people when tracks are made for A class guys only and bikes are more expensive than ever? This is why GNCC is taking off IMO.
You nailed it. I quit motocross for this very reason. I could still get around a track very respectably, but got sick of the mud and ruts epidemic that has infected the local tracks.

What's funny is that most tracks are reduced to 80% posers who can hardly get around these rutty tracks. But they love to sit on their tailgates with their flat bill Monster hats and talk about how gnarly the track is.
6/4/2017 5:45am
Unpopular opinion:

I love rutty ass tracks. I love it when it gets gnarly. I love watching guys haul freight through ruts. Outdoor motocross should continue to be extremely rough and rutty. Leave the jumps and smoothness to the French.

As my old throttle jockey sticker says; let the legend live on, keep supercross indoors.
BobPA
6/4/2017 5:58am
Unpopular opinion: I love rutty ass tracks. I love it when it gets gnarly. I love watching guys haul freight through ruts. Outdoor motocross should continue...
Unpopular opinion:

I love rutty ass tracks. I love it when it gets gnarly. I love watching guys haul freight through ruts. Outdoor motocross should continue to be extremely rough and rutty. Leave the jumps and smoothness to the French.

As my old throttle jockey sticker says; let the legend live on, keep supercross indoors.
It is funny because a French guy is leading the points..
Fourth_Floor
6/4/2017 6:16am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 6:17am
Have the guys that are actually riding these tracks been complaining about the ruts?
tcallahan707
6/4/2017 6:29am
Robgvx wrote:
You literally proved my point. Slower, tighter tracks do not work because of the bikes that exist today.
6/4/2017 6:52am
Unpopular opinion: I love rutty ass tracks. I love it when it gets gnarly. I love watching guys haul freight through ruts. Outdoor motocross should continue...
Unpopular opinion:

Have you watched outdoor motocross from 10, 20, 30 years ago? I can't remember that many races that looked like a slot car track from "back in the day". Maybe its 4 strokes but it just seems like the racing was better in 05/06/07 before we turned into rut-o-cross.
captmoto
6/4/2017 7:15am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2017 7:15am
The issues is track owners hauling in sand to mix into the track surface. Most of the time the sand is not native to the natural terrain. Without the new sand tracks like Hangtown and Thunder Valley would be hardpack old school surface like Carlsbad and Saddleback. I think the track mods are done to reduce the dust and improve the TV surface. Back in the olden days rider and mechanics had to prep their bikes for different track surfaces. I think track surfaces were more diverse 20 years ago.
Unadilla used to be a grass track but now they haul in dirt to mold the track. It is too expensive to let a track just sit and grow grass and only race on it a couple times a year but that would be the ultimate track prep.

Post a reply to: Rutocross

The Latest