Ross Maeda Rules.

FWYT
Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 8:24am
If you don't follow Ross on FB, you should. He will periodically post a batch of stories
and they are always so good. Some funny as hell stuff and cool stories like testing
with Hannah. So classic! Laughing my ass off.
https://www.facebook.com/ross.maeda?fref=nf

(Not sure exactly how FB works because even if someone is your friend, often the
stuff doesn't show up on their wall but it will show up in your feed. So I can see
Ross's stories on my feed but not when I go to his timeline. hrumph.)
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/21/2015 2:25pm
Ross rules.
DirtDiggler
12/21/2015 2:31pm
GuyB wrote:
Ross rules.
This. Super nice guy.

He did a good podcast with Pulp a while back. Good stuff.
DL
12/21/2015 3:08pm
Class act

The Shop

FWYT
12/21/2015 3:22pm
Facebook is the debil. Wish it was available otherwise....
I hear ya, man. Me, too.

FWYT
12/21/2015 3:23pm
The one today about sneaking into the race with his dad . . .. .
hahahhahhahahhahah OMG, sprayed my espresso out my nose at the coffee shop.
JIM256
12/21/2015 3:24pm
One of my favorite guys in the sport. He has awesome stories and does what he says he's going to do, does it well and is straight up, honest and cares. Love the guy....
anniebertmojo
12/21/2015 4:30pm
I meet Ross in 84 when I was working at Wheelsmith Maico (KYB was right down the street) and we stayed friends ever since. We don't talk that much anymore due to work commitments, but when we do it's like nothing has ever changed.

The stories Ross are downright comical... He's lived a life that we all dream about in moto

From my Ross experiences:

1. The late Scott "Baby at Large" Thompson era were up there in comedy

2. The go pick up little Kurt Rood (when he couldn't drive as a kid who now works for Kawasaki as the race team coordinator) were down right out of this world funny

3. The chocolate chip cookie on the ant hole trick to get rid of red ants in our paddock when we were testing suspension

4. Ascot racing adult mini pro class always got out of control

Ross rules...

smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
12/21/2015 4:30pm
So is he still at Enzo? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong about KYB. He is great on Steve's podcasts.
anniebertmojo
12/21/2015 4:31pm
So is he still at Enzo? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong about KYB. He is great on Steve's podcasts.
yes.... he owns Enzo still.
Coyote
12/21/2015 6:13pm
yes.... he owns Enzo still.
Ross is a classic for sure, had good times testing w/him at Suzuki and was always quick with a joke...always remember him saying when you first saw each other...."what doing"?? lol hope to see him this year at the sx's.
EddieC
12/21/2015 6:17pm
My first time meeting Ross was when I worked with YOT. One day at Elsinore I was given the chance to to ride one of the YOT bikes so I asked Ross about going through the whoops on the MX track. He said you're riding on Enzo suspension just click third, hold her wide open and let the suspension do the rest. Easy enough I thought so as I exited a left turn before the whoops I shifted to third, lined up the bike and opened her up. Three whoops in I thought sweet, but that was short lived as I missed the fourth dropped the front end and next thing I know my chest is on the seat and feet are hanging off the back. I remembered something about when in doubt pin it, so I left the throttle on and got huck a bucked back onto the pegs and rode her out. As I came around the track all the YOT mechanics where waving their towels holding their hands in the wide open throttle position. I pulled off the track and went back to Ross looking for some answers. I told him this was my first time ever on a MX track and that I don't think the hold it wide open was a good idea. He laughed and said if I knew it was your first time I would have told you to stay off the track.
BobbyM
12/21/2015 7:18pm
JIM256 wrote:
One of my favorite guys in the sport. He has awesome stories and does what he says he's going to do, does it well and is...
One of my favorite guys in the sport. He has awesome stories and does what he says he's going to do, does it well and is straight up, honest and cares. Love the guy....
Yup... Not many of those.
jemcee
12/21/2015 7:45pm
haha was wondering what was happening my feed was full of Ross Maeda has added a friend notifications haha!

Years ago (that's how cool I am haha) he actually PM'd me from here.. from memory it wasn't long after his accident and I guess he just wanted to shoot the shit with someone else in a chair, we actually went back and forth a fair bit over the next year or so, he asked me a lot of questions about life in a chair and I asked him waaaay more about his life as I'm gonna say one of the godfathers of the industry haha.. Dude is incredibly humble and very cool!

Oh and yes his stories rule!!
Mini Elsinore
12/21/2015 7:53pm
EddieC wrote:
My first time meeting Ross was when I worked with YOT. One day at Elsinore I was given the chance to to ride one of the...
My first time meeting Ross was when I worked with YOT. One day at Elsinore I was given the chance to to ride one of the YOT bikes so I asked Ross about going through the whoops on the MX track. He said you're riding on Enzo suspension just click third, hold her wide open and let the suspension do the rest. Easy enough I thought so as I exited a left turn before the whoops I shifted to third, lined up the bike and opened her up. Three whoops in I thought sweet, but that was short lived as I missed the fourth dropped the front end and next thing I know my chest is on the seat and feet are hanging off the back. I remembered something about when in doubt pin it, so I left the throttle on and got huck a bucked back onto the pegs and rode her out. As I came around the track all the YOT mechanics where waving their towels holding their hands in the wide open throttle position. I pulled off the track and went back to Ross looking for some answers. I told him this was my first time ever on a MX track and that I don't think the hold it wide open was a good idea. He laughed and said if I knew it was your first time I would have told you to stay off the track.
Laughing
FWYT
10/2/2019 8:20am
I just have to bump this thread . . . . You gotta follow Ross on FB. His stories are epic.
The one today about the neighbor kid letting Ross's dad know there was a fire in
their back yard and then their dog biting the kid in the ass had me rolling. Epic stuff.

He posts all kinds of great OG moto stories that are quite wonderful. I'm sure there will be a book eventually!!
davistld01
10/3/2019 8:04pm
Ross Maeda has always been one of the “good guys” of motocross.
Sully
10/3/2019 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2019 9:04pm
The first time I listened to Ross on one of Matthes' podcasts, I was a little hesitant, because I'm not much of a technical guy, and I thought it was just going to be suspension nerd talk between two mechanics. Man was I wrong. That dude has had one of the greatest careers/lives in American moto. I'll definitely have to check out his Facebook page.
PJRAUS
10/4/2019 6:06am
jemcee wrote:
haha was wondering what was happening my feed was full of Ross Maeda has added a friend notifications haha! Years ago (that's how cool I am...
haha was wondering what was happening my feed was full of Ross Maeda has added a friend notifications haha!

Years ago (that's how cool I am haha) he actually PM'd me from here.. from memory it wasn't long after his accident and I guess he just wanted to shoot the shit with someone else in a chair, we actually went back and forth a fair bit over the next year or so, he asked me a lot of questions about life in a chair and I asked him waaaay more about his life as I'm gonna say one of the godfathers of the industry haha.. Dude is incredibly humble and very cool!

Oh and yes his stories rule!!
Farrk!! I didn't know you were in a chair! Wake up call as to just how lucky I am after pushing it for so long
I met Ross at the yamaha sx test track in 1999/ 2000...was asking him where in the hell can you buy valving shims from.....he seemed pretty stoic on the subject...seemed to be a keeper of an inside secret somewhat..
To this day I am highly sceptical of the notion that when you send your suspension in for service, they replace your shim stacks with all new shims...Bones Bacon says this is a must, but I have zero confidence that anyone in Australia actually does that...wtf do they get the shims from??? Still seems like its a state secret
jemcee
10/4/2019 5:17pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Farrk!! I didn't know you were in a chair! Wake up call as to just how lucky I am after pushing it for so long I...
Farrk!! I didn't know you were in a chair! Wake up call as to just how lucky I am after pushing it for so long
I met Ross at the yamaha sx test track in 1999/ 2000...was asking him where in the hell can you buy valving shims from.....he seemed pretty stoic on the subject...seemed to be a keeper of an inside secret somewhat..
To this day I am highly sceptical of the notion that when you send your suspension in for service, they replace your shim stacks with all new shims...Bones Bacon says this is a must, but I have zero confidence that anyone in Australia actually does that...wtf do they get the shims from??? Still seems like its a state secret
First rule about shim stacks you do not talk about shim stacks haha

Don't ask me about anything suspension related, my brother would watch me for a few laps then call me in do some clicking then send me out again
'does that feel better?'
'aah yeah I mean I wasn't washing the front as much those laps so that's prob why I felt better'
'Yep that's cause I something something'd ya front and this and that'd ya rear'

Haha typical spoilt little brother I never really listened haha

Oh and yeah broke my neck in a first turn crash in 2003 at Wheelstanders on the Gold Coast.. I look like a para full arm movement but just have limited feeling and movement in my hands
PJRAUS
10/4/2019 9:44pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Farrk!! I didn't know you were in a chair! Wake up call as to just how lucky I am after pushing it for so long I...
jemcee wrote:
First rule about shim stacks you do not talk about shim stacks haha Don't ask me about anything suspension related, my brother would watch me for...
First rule about shim stacks you do not talk about shim stacks haha

Don't ask me about anything suspension related, my brother would watch me for a few laps then call me in do some clicking then send me out again
'does that feel better?'
'aah yeah I mean I wasn't washing the front as much those laps so that's prob why I felt better'
'Yep that's cause I something something'd ya front and this and that'd ya rear'

Haha typical spoilt little brother I never really listened haha

Oh and yeah broke my neck in a first turn crash in 2003 at Wheelstanders on the Gold Coast.. I look like a para full arm movement but just have limited feeling and movement in my hands
Very sorry to hear that...
A mate of mine, a bloke Ive known for probably 30 years..used to live near each other...broke his neck at our track last december..hes a full qaud and is still in St Vinnys in Melbourne ..the bloke is over 50 and was having pretty much his first ride on his new ktm 450.
He has always raced , but was never even remotely fast...just a back of the pack c grader , but he loved it...the sport was pretty much his life...a real true blue club bloke...
Still cannot figure out how he did what he did but it involved arm pump and a serious dose of whiskey throttle.
Of all the riders I ever knew...I thought hed be the last one to ever have such a crazy crash..
Does my head in to think about it..
jemcee
10/5/2019 5:18am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2019 5:23am
PJRAUS wrote:
Very sorry to hear that... A mate of mine, a bloke Ive known for probably 30 years..used to live near each other...broke his neck at our...
Very sorry to hear that...
A mate of mine, a bloke Ive known for probably 30 years..used to live near each other...broke his neck at our track last december..hes a full qaud and is still in St Vinnys in Melbourne ..the bloke is over 50 and was having pretty much his first ride on his new ktm 450.
He has always raced , but was never even remotely fast...just a back of the pack c grader , but he loved it...the sport was pretty much his life...a real true blue club bloke...
Still cannot figure out how he did what he did but it involved arm pump and a serious dose of whiskey throttle.
Of all the riders I ever knew...I thought hed be the last one to ever have such a crazy crash..
Does my head in to think about it..
It's funny you say that cause my mates say the same.. Not so much the 'never even remotely fast' (not to my face anyway haha) but more the last person to have that sort of crash.. Cause I had a really smooth style and never really looked out of control, I've got a vid of my last race (like hours before my accident) and it gives me the shits cause I'm not flashy and I don't look fast haha I mean I'm not gonna sit here and say I was fast but I was definitely faster than I looked haha

Man there's no good time to break your neck but I feel sorry for him doing it late in his life, or you could think it's lucky as he's not a young man cut down in his prime..

Edit: Oh and on doing your head in to think about, I was in a taxi once and the cabby said 'well mate the human body is designed to go 7 km/h and not bump into anything' kinda put it all into perspective haha Cabbies are good for that
Bearuno
10/5/2019 5:52am
jemcee :

" Oh and on doing your head in to think about, I was in a taxi once and the cabby said 'well mate the human body is designed to go 7 km/h and not bump into anything' kinda put it all into perspective haha Cabbies are good for that"

My favourite, and the Best Ortho I have had said to pretty much anyone, the same sort of thing. Would regularly say : "your body's made to go around 4mph, and, when you hit something, or turn turtle, and can get back up, well, count yourself lucky."

A Brilliant Surgeon, and, never one to slag Motorcycling. I saw / heard him a few times rip into other doctors and medical staff that were inclined to either lecture a motorcyclist, or, even hint at a lack of care because they were Motorcyclists. If he were still around, I'd be better for it - I've yet to find an Ortho I have much confidence in, and, I've had a few of them, royally eff things up on me. RIP : Dr BJ Collins.

Post a reply to: Ross Maeda Rules.

The Latest