Roost protectors and bicycle helmets

endurox
Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 4:01am
More riders are out with shoulder injuries in the last few years than I can remember. Not saying all shoulder injuries would be prevented with wearing a quality chest/shoulder protection equipment such as the
http://www.flyracing.com/product/moto/racewear/protectors/55-hd-pro-pro… but there would be fewer.
Wearing the current roost protection with some foam for shoulder pads is like wearing a bicycle helmet racing a dirt bike. Herlings, Dy Decker, maybe Tomac, Reed, Bogle, and the list goes on, what if 50% of the time these guys would be racing and not missing half a season or throwing away and championship.
|
6/22/2015 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 1:16pm
It's hard to prove that there would be less injuries. The old something is better than nothin doesn't always prove to be true.

Wonder if more guys would get heat stroke wearing that. Not sure though...
hvaughn88
6/22/2015 1:16pm
"And now, for our weekly installment of 'chest protection debates.' We'll see you next week! Same time. Same channel."
Spartacus
6/22/2015 1:28pm
I think wearing one of those will reduce injuries, when you hit the ground at 30 mph, as much as wearing an extra pair of socks helps prevent a broken ankle.

Just look at the size of the shoulder pads the NFL guys wear and they're just running............
IWreckALot
6/22/2015 1:28pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
"And now, for our weekly installment of 'chest protection debates.' We'll see you next week! Same time. Same channel."
Lol. This place is a merry go round.

The Shop

SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/22/2015 1:41pm
Knee injuries continue to persist in this sport yet no one seems to question the effectiveness of all these high priced braces. Why aren't chest protectors / shoulder pads given the same benefit of the doubt?

In my opinion, it's almost all because chest protectors just don't look cool and in motocross, looking cool is king.

Tomac took a hard hit. If he'd been wearing some sort of shoulder protection, could it have helped absorb some of the impact and made his injuries less severe? Maybe. Maybe not. I highly doubt it would have made the injury worse, however.
6/22/2015 2:37pm
I hope you cocktards realize that almost every pro wears a chest protector under tgeir jersey
6/22/2015 2:40pm
While I agree that roost protectors could help prevent some injuries, I do not think they could prevent a lot of what we have seen in pro racing this year. These things are meant to protect you from roost like rocks, not roost like mother earth (tomac's case), or another bike. I think a lot of the guys in the pros don't wear them because they figure they are going at speeds that if they hit the ground, they're going to hit it harder than most chest protector equipment could protect them from (plus the cool factor and it might cover up too many sponsor logos).
mxer512
6/22/2015 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 3:14pm
Roost guard/ chest protector will not and does not prevent a collarbone injury or shoulder injury. A the collar bone breaks from impact with the ground. I've broken the same one twice while wearing a chestguard and neck brace. They will save you a broke rib or two from a bike landing on you and those welts from that 1 inch rock being slung from a 450 rear tire though.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
6/22/2015 3:28pm
mxer512 wrote:
Roost guard/ chest protector will not and does not prevent a collarbone injury or shoulder injury. A the collar bone breaks from impact with the ground...
Roost guard/ chest protector will not and does not prevent a collarbone injury or shoulder injury. A the collar bone breaks from impact with the ground. I've broken the same one twice while wearing a chestguard and neck brace. They will save you a broke rib or two from a bike landing on you and those welts from that 1 inch rock being slung from a 450 rear tire though.
And people also suffer concussions with helmets on. Using the logic that you just used, that must mean that helmets can do nothing to help prevent concussions.

See how silly that sounds?

Of course people will still suffer injuries with protective gear on. The hope is to help lessen those injuries.
mxer512
6/22/2015 3:56pm
My point is that a chest guard protects the chest ...not your appendages. These guys know the risk of the sport. So no I don't see how silly that sounds. A helmet protects your head a chest guard protects ur chest a knee brace protect ur knee. So why is he a calling for a chest guard for a shoulder.
mxer512
6/22/2015 4:20pm
SPYGUY wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/stories/2014/10/08/full_flex_250563.jpg?1412781539[/img]

The only way that thing would protect you from a shoulder/clavicle injury would be if the shoulder part was rigid and guess what if it's rigid you can't move ...so nope try again.
mxer512
6/22/2015 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2015 4:25pm
Listen ...I not knocking chest protectors ...but I don't thing that people should rely on them for shoulder protection because that is not what they are intended for imo
brimx153
6/22/2015 4:27pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Knee injuries continue to persist in this sport yet no one seems to question the effectiveness of all these high priced braces. Why aren't chest protectors...
Knee injuries continue to persist in this sport yet no one seems to question the effectiveness of all these high priced braces. Why aren't chest protectors / shoulder pads given the same benefit of the doubt?

In my opinion, it's almost all because chest protectors just don't look cool and in motocross, looking cool is king.

Tomac took a hard hit. If he'd been wearing some sort of shoulder protection, could it have helped absorb some of the impact and made his injuries less severe? Maybe. Maybe not. I highly doubt it would have made the injury worse, however.
Tomac was wearing a roost guard .
brimx153
6/22/2015 4:35pm
endurox wrote:
More riders are out with shoulder injuries in the last few years than I can remember. Not saying all shoulder injuries would be prevented with wearing...
More riders are out with shoulder injuries in the last few years than I can remember. Not saying all shoulder injuries would be prevented with wearing a quality chest/shoulder protection equipment such as the
http://www.flyracing.com/product/moto/racewear/protectors/55-hd-pro-pro… but there would be fewer.
Wearing the current roost protection with some foam for shoulder pads is like wearing a bicycle helmet racing a dirt bike. Herlings, Dy Decker, maybe Tomac, Reed, Bogle, and the list goes on, what if 50% of the time these guys would be racing and not missing half a season or throwing away and championship.
a bit of plastic isnt going to help any . .people love to think wearing a bit of plastic is going to stop loads of injury . theres a reason there called roost guards .i think the only thing that could work is the rxr one you use air
RMT
6/22/2015 6:22pm
Does anyone think 1mm of foam is gonna prevent a shoulder injury? Think of the force these guys hit the ground and this wonderfoam is going to soak it up like a helmet liner?

They are good protection for some things, keeping your shoulder from ripping out of its socket is just not one of them.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
6/22/2015 6:44pm
endurox wrote:
More riders are out with shoulder injuries in the last few years than I can remember. Not saying all shoulder injuries would be prevented with wearing...
Maybe you and Rock can start a soapbox club where you can take turns standing on it telling everyone else what they should wear as far as protection.

JG2
6/22/2015 8:23pm
I'm a 45 year-old off-road rider and Professional MX Practice Rider. Last year I was out putting in easy laps at the MX track trying to figure out my KTM suspension when I got landed on by a 450 or drilled square in the back with a 450 front tire over an easy downhill double...I'm not sure which it was because I got hit so hard I was knocked into next week and the guy that hit me didn't know what planet he was on when he came to.

2 fractured vertebrae...if it weren't for my Least Adventure Vest with "better than most" back protection I really wonder if I'd be walking around today. Scary bit is that I was gonna go out and do "couple more easy laps" without it or my neck brace before I got hit as there was "no one else on the track".

I need to figure out if the new 5.5.HD chest pro by Leatt offers more back protection than what I have and if it does I'm buying it. The pros can wear whatever the fuck they want but I'm surprised more don't protect their investment and wear chest protector, neck brace etc. I know I do and my kids will, stupid not to in my humble opinion but to each their own.
mx836
6/22/2015 8:32pm
Like JG2 said, to each their own, but if you don't think a chest protector can help prevent a broken c-bone in certain circumstances, I think you may be a bit confused. What does it take to break a clavicle? Like some 7 lbs of pressure. I know of fellow racers that have broken clavicles from being roosted by a large rock. Of course it isn't going to prevent a dislocated shoulder, but there is no doubt wearing a chest protector could only help. Ask the guy who posted pics here before he had numerous surgeries to remove the rubber from his tire spinning wide open on his back. He wished he was wearing a chest protector. Not sure why people think they are ugly either. I actually prefer the looks of a good chest protector. Wil Hahn and AC look pretty badass out there to me.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/22/2015 10:37pm
Two years ago at hangtown I went down on the start and was face down in the dirt with 5 bikes on top of me . This was threw my chest protector . Nothing like getting branded by a nice hot exhaust .

Crush
6/22/2015 10:44pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Lol. This place is a merry go round.
I prefer the term circle-jerk.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
6/22/2015 11:52pm
Im planning on one of these, they look to have the widest shoulder protection for an undershirt protector.
TLD are leading the charge in the design of some of these protection products I reckon.

For all those who are saying a piece of foam / plastic wont protect your shoulders: I had a full AC reconstruction including synthetic ligament, nowdays its a bit more bony and exposed than the other good shoulder - something to spread the load in a crash is all I need..

Fat Fingers
6/23/2015 3:24am
Chest protectors definitely protect more than just roost. I can't believe some of the comments here that imply that's all they are good for.

I was watching road racing a few days ago and it's amazing how much protective gear has improved in that area compared to mx.
Motofinne
6/23/2015 3:30am Edited Date/Time 6/23/2015 3:31am
motokiwi wrote:
Im planning on one of these, they look to have the widest shoulder protection for an undershirt protector. TLD are leading the charge in the design...
Im planning on one of these, they look to have the widest shoulder protection for an undershirt protector.
TLD are leading the charge in the design of some of these protection products I reckon.

For all those who are saying a piece of foam / plastic wont protect your shoulders: I had a full AC reconstruction including synthetic ligament, nowdays its a bit more bony and exposed than the other good shoulder - something to spread the load in a crash is all I need..

I have that protector but without the elbowguards, i stopped using it i just thought that the foam was to soft and i went back to my Thor bodyprotector. I use the one without elbow guards .

Motofinne
6/23/2015 3:32am
Here is the one i'm using right now and it's really good, protects my back and chest on a good way and it's not bulky at all!

6/23/2015 4:01am
I've always used the types like FOX with netting that holds the plastic off the shoulder. It takes some of the shock out of the hit,like modern day plastic bumpers on your car that crumple and absorb some of the energy. That's the theory I go with, and I believe it saved me a few times I can tell you. I also like hard plastic both front and rear as I want something between my spine or spleen and the bar end or foot peg in a rag doll with the bike. I know of some riders that have ended up with lacerated liver from landing on the bar end. Maybe I should have worn something for my nuts too. Ouch!

Post a reply to: Roost protectors and bicycle helmets

The Latest