Rocket Exhaust

PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
12/2/2014 3:02pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2014 9:22pm
Hey all, fairly new poster but long time board lurker. Like most of you I'm an avid moto enthusiast and off road rider. I don't typically like to do reviews but when a company treats me right, I'm more than happy to share my feelings.

I just bought a 2014 YZ450F and wanted a spark arrestor that was easy to remove. I had heard of Rocket and saw that they had them with removal end caps for quick in and out. I called and was answered my Don who was happy to chat and put a pipe together for me. I went with a slip on in the black anodized almunim per his recommendations. Throughout the process both Don and Andrea have been more than helpful and kind in getting the pipe to me quickly during the holidays. On to the review.

I was instantly impressed by the pipe when it came. It was boxed up very nicely and
I could tell it was quality as soon as I picked it up. Definitely lighter than stock with beautiful welds. Attention to detail is obvious on this one. Installation was a breeze as you would expect on a slip on and while I didn't buy the pipe for looks, it definitely looks awesome.

I am in now way endorsed, sponsored, or associated with Rocket Exhaust, just wanted to share my thoughts on a small company who cares about their work and produces an excellent product at a fair price here in the U.S.A

Thanks for reading, ride report to come soon!

|
TeamGreen
12/2/2014 3:04pm
No way!

Rocket makes pipes for Yamahas?
mxb2
12/2/2014 3:15pm
Nice, hows the power and sound compared to the stock system?.
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
12/2/2014 3:20pm
mxb2 wrote:
Nice, hows the power and sound compared to the stock system?.
Can't comment on power until I ride tomorrow but it's definitely got a nice tone to it. The stocker seemed super loud to me and this sounds better IMO.
Cammy595
12/2/2014 3:35pm
Another exhaust manufacturer who claim power gains but don't seem to release the dyno charts..

Are there any companies who release this information or do we just have to take there word for it?

The Shop

norcal3737
12/2/2014 3:43pm
Cammy595 wrote:
Another exhaust manufacturer who claim power gains but don't seem to release the dyno charts.. Are there any companies who release this information or do we...
Another exhaust manufacturer who claim power gains but don't seem to release the dyno charts..

Are there any companies who release this information or do we just have to take there word for it?
A dyno plot at 100% WOT does not tell the whole story.
Grizz
12/2/2014 3:48pm
Cammy595 wrote:
Another exhaust manufacturer who claim power gains but don't seem to release the dyno charts.. Are there any companies who release this information or do we...

Dyno numbers don't transfer well into actual riding as far as I'm concerened. It's more about how it changes the power and the feeling for me. If you want more HP then you should mod your motor, not just add a pipe.
thorns
12/2/2014 3:49pm
Cammy595 wrote:

Yoshimura appear to have dyno charts for alot of there products on there page

example http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/prodcat/242901d720-kawasaki-kx250f-2010-15-…
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
12/2/2014 3:54pm
I hope you guys understand I wasn't looking to make more power. The 14 450's don't lack it haha. I need a spark arrestor in a lot of the places I ride and wanted a good pipe with a removable end cap that made it easy to remove/install the spark arrestor. First ride is tomorrow and I'll be able to comment on the power. I anticipate seeing a difference in delivery, more than anything else.
slipdog
12/2/2014 4:19pm
I asked Don about dyno proof of the performance and he emailed me one for my crf 450, I was sold and all I can say is my bike is now a "Rocket"!

Torco1
12/2/2014 4:37pm
slipdog wrote:
I asked Don about dyno proof of the performance and he emailed me one for my crf 450, I was sold and all I can say...
I asked Don about dyno proof of the performance and he emailed me one for my crf 450, I was sold and all I can say is my bike is now a "Rocket"!

This is the dyno chart that came with my exhaust...........

BobPA
12/2/2014 4:45pm
Grizz wrote:
Dyno numbers don't transfer well into actual riding as far as I'm concerened. It's more about how it changes the power and the feeling for me...
Dyno numbers don't transfer well into actual riding as far as I'm concerened. It's more about how it changes the power and the feeling for me. If you want more HP then you should mod your motor, not just add a pipe.
You can see plain as day what portion of the power curve is changed on a dyno plot...seat of the pants is just.....a guess.
DL
12/2/2014 5:15pm
Thanks for the kind words. The dyno sheet debate...... I've given in. We're readying a new website and will be posting dyno sheets of our exhausts against stock pipes. As some if you know, it's a can of worms IMHO. The reality is A/F needs to be corrected at all throttle positions at every 250 RPM's to really see how good our exhaust is. Doing that with the OE software is like putting a bandaid on the mapping. On top if that changing a piston, cam or even changing the air filter will throw A/F ratio off. Bottom line is we develop our exhaust to be better than stock especially where we feel the stock engine is weak. Examples: the 14/15 CRF 250 needs top. The KTM SX250 needs bottom and mid. Some bikes like many of the 450's are plenty fast but it makes them easier to ride if the power comes on sooner and lasts longer. If you really want the best performance possible you'll need to have your engine mapped by a competent shop with a dyno and should you should be using a proper ECU. We recommend the Vortex. We offer Stage 1, 2 and 3 engine kits for most bikes that come with the proper maps. We work hard to make sure we accomplish a goal with each system. Anybody is welcome to contact me if you want more info. I also offer a Vitard discount. Don@rocketexhaust.com

TeamGreen
12/2/2014 5:24pm
If I lived within a few hours of Rocket...I'd have my bike Dyno'd & Mapped by Don...to truly capitalize on his pipe.
I'm jus' knowin'...
moto314
12/2/2014 5:34pm
Can't wait to try my Rocket Exhaust out, hopefully this weekend!
12/2/2014 7:01pm
Dons a great guy and Rocket puts in some serious r&d time in at the track testing, and I would bet anything on the fact that there are great gains in all the right spots on all the bikes they make exhausts for. I know the KTM 250SXF exhaust they make is off the hook as far as gains across the whole power curve.
Electro21
Fantasy
66th
12/2/2014 8:46pm
Love the looks of the Rocket Exhaust system!!!
drenmaster
Fantasy
1413th
12/6/2014 6:03am
can you take a picture from the side? want to see how far it sticks out.. looks pretty nice so far..
gharmon
12/6/2014 6:36am
DL wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. The dyno sheet debate...... I've given in. We're readying a new website and will be posting dyno sheets of our exhausts...
Thanks for the kind words. The dyno sheet debate...... I've given in. We're readying a new website and will be posting dyno sheets of our exhausts against stock pipes. As some if you know, it's a can of worms IMHO. The reality is A/F needs to be corrected at all throttle positions at every 250 RPM's to really see how good our exhaust is. Doing that with the OE software is like putting a bandaid on the mapping. On top if that changing a piston, cam or even changing the air filter will throw A/F ratio off. Bottom line is we develop our exhaust to be better than stock especially where we feel the stock engine is weak. Examples: the 14/15 CRF 250 needs top. The KTM SX250 needs bottom and mid. Some bikes like many of the 450's are plenty fast but it makes them easier to ride if the power comes on sooner and lasts longer. If you really want the best performance possible you'll need to have your engine mapped by a competent shop with a dyno and should you should be using a proper ECU. We recommend the Vortex. We offer Stage 1, 2 and 3 engine kits for most bikes that come with the proper maps. We work hard to make sure we accomplish a goal with each system. Anybody is welcome to contact me if you want more info. I also offer a Vitard discount. Don@rocketexhaust.com

Hi Don, We have one of those 15 CRF's. which one of your systems would you recommend for our bike?
DL
12/6/2014 7:59am
DL wrote:
Thanks for the kind words. The dyno sheet debate...... I've given in. We're readying a new website and will be posting dyno sheets of our exhausts...

gharmon wrote:
Hi Don, We have one of those 15 CRF's. which one of your systems would you recommend for our bike?
The dual system received and continues to receive the most development because it's easier to pass sound using dual mufflers. I recommend the dual system and depending on your budget you can chose brushed alum, black anodized or carbon muffler bodies. I also recommend the resonance chamber option for the head pipe. If you have any questions please email or call me. Contact info on web site goes to me. Thanks, Don
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
12/6/2014 8:07am
I'll get a few pictures from the side for you guys. Rode with the pipe Thursday, definitely has a really nice tone to it. It isn't at all obnoxiously loud but it's definitely got some bark. Since the bike only has maybe 6 hours on it now it's hard to make a statement on the power, the bike definitely seemed to pull a long ways in each gear. Hope to get out Sunday for a more thorough review.
PNWOffroad
Fantasy
3219th
12/6/2014 8:19am

Hope this gives you an idea, I think it tucks up nicely.
moto314
12/10/2014 9:22pm
TeamGreen wrote:
If I lived within a few hours of Rocket...I'd have my bike Dyno'd & Mapped by Don...to truly capitalize on his pipe.
I'm jus' knowin'...
I had my bike Dyno'd and Mapped at Rocket last weekend and rode it today with the new exhaust. I have the Vortex ign so I have 10 map options and I had them put the stock map as one so I could compare. WOW what a difference! The bike is so crisp, and very smooth. I don't need anymore power out of a 450 but the peak HP with pipe and mapping was up 3 HP and the impressive part was it was up 2 HP at quarter throttle. This was very noticeable on the track. I was very impressed! They could have made it hit harder and have more power but I didn't want it. Thanks Rocket!

Post a reply to: Rocket Exhaust

The Latest