Road to Supercross rules and changes

neysbo
Edited Date/Time 11/17/2015 7:03am
Road to Supercross Rules

Several changes for this year. Click link above that goes to the letter sent out by AMA
|
Team Ideal
11/12/2015 8:34am
this is a total load of shit. yeah tell me again how it's not all about the money.

4. If a rider earns the six points in less than three cities, the rider is still required to attend and earn one additional point in
another city for a minimum of three AMSOIL Arenacross event cities attended before applying for their AMA 250SX
license.
MT MX
11/12/2015 8:49am
Team Ideal wrote:
this is a total load of shit. yeah tell me again how it's not all about the money. 4. If a rider earns the six points...
this is a total load of shit. yeah tell me again how it's not all about the money.

4. If a rider earns the six points in less than three cities, the rider is still required to attend and earn one additional point in
another city for a minimum of three AMSOIL Arenacross event cities attended before applying for their AMA 250SX
license.
X2
I think there are quite a few questionable 'rules'.
The one that bugs me the most is ............

m. The AMA may issue a license to any rider who does not meet the above criteria at its sole discretion.
I just think that is a bit discriminatory.

Also, I think they should lower the age to 15 years of age, so that if an amateur could compete in AX and possibly have his SX license by 16 years.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/12/2015 8:52am
MT MX wrote:
X2 I think there are quite a few questionable 'rules'. The one that bugs me the most is ............ [i]m. The AMA may issue a license...
X2

m. The AMA may issue a license to any rider who does not meet the above criteria at its sole discretion.

Also, I think they should lower the age to 15 years of age, so that if an amateur could compete in AX and possibly have his SX license by 16 years.
I think these rules are starting to be bogus but I would not be in favor of reducing the pro license age requirement. 16 is already too young in my opinion.
Josh422
11/12/2015 9:09am
Team Ideal wrote:
this is a total load of shit. yeah tell me again how it's not all about the money. 4. If a rider earns the six points...

license.
MT MX wrote:
X2 I think there are quite a few questionable 'rules'. The one that bugs me the most is ............ [i]m. The AMA may issue a license...
X2

There's a story from a few years ago of a rider getting is pro license because his dad wrote a letter to an ama board member that he knew through his flat track days. Although he didn't seem to be a danger while trying to qualify for the day he definitely was a fish out of water when compared to the rest of the field.

The Shop

neysbo
11/12/2015 9:32am
Team Ideal wrote:

license.
MT MX wrote:
X2

I have a feeling a couple teams may try this route and avoid Arenacross for their rider(s) to get their license.

11/12/2015 9:35am
MT MX wrote:
X2

...aww yes...
m....the FIM rules the AMA loophole....
Motofinne
11/12/2015 9:37am
The road to sx is horrendous as it is. Let's say that there is a few really good young riders that probably would contend for main events at a normal SX but can't do the west SX because the stupid AX series starts at the same time. It's a joke.

Start the AX series 1-3 months before a1.
Firefly47
11/12/2015 9:46am
If a guy comes over from Europe (the MXGP's), you think they'll make him race AX?
Motofinne
11/12/2015 9:49am
Firefly47 wrote:
If a guy comes over from Europe (the MXGP's), you think they'll make him race AX?
They don't, because the GPs are FIM sanctioned just like SX. The nationals are not FIM sanctioned.
11/12/2015 9:56am
Firefly47 wrote:
I know Tonus didn't. And I'm pretty sure the KTM rider a year or two before him didn't either. Ferris maybe?
Are arenacross races still two night events? The points rule will only affect the guys racing both classes who are trying to earn a license. It looks like they only reward one point for making a main, and one for finishing in the top ten.
c0ncEpT
11/12/2015 9:59am
Firefly47 wrote:
I know Tonus didn't. And I'm pretty sure the KTM rider a year or two before him didn't either. Ferris maybe? Are arenacross races still two...
I know Tonus didn't. And I'm pretty sure the KTM rider a year or two before him didn't either. Ferris maybe?
Are arenacross races still two night events? The points rule will only affect the guys racing both classes who are trying to earn a license. It looks like they only reward one point for making a main, and one for finishing in the top ten.
If you have a FIM pro licence you do NOT have to go through AX.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/12/2015 10:42am
(AMA) Hey guys you need to go through the Road to supercross to get so many points to get your license for Supercross. If you get points on just one weekend you still need to attend another round. At that point we will give you your license. If you get them in 2 rounds we need you to go to a third round. We just really need more money from you. Oh, but if we feel like giving a license to someone without doing the RtS we can do that. Thanks for giving us all your money!

Love,
The AMA.

That's how I read it. Anyone else read it that way? Cool
Mit12
11/12/2015 11:44am
It would seem that "the road to supercross" would be full of riders that are fresh out of the amature ranks trying to make it to the big time. This is the road to and "from" supercross is a place for a rider to go when his career is nearing its end and now the place that new tallent is forced to go.
Gebken40
11/12/2015 11:49am
Anyone know when the 2016 Pro-Am schedule will be released?
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
11/12/2015 11:54am
these ROAD to SX rules are garbage. anyone who knows anytingn about SX and AX knows they are not the same. Sure it "HELPS" but it doesnt really promote riders getting better to go to sx.

the only real way to develop guys for SX would be to have an Amatuer SX series that races the day after the pros where the tracks have been tamed to accommodate the different levels
KHenry901
Fantasy
2177th
11/12/2015 12:00pm
The reason they make you attend 3 or more events isn't for the money(although I'm sure they'll take it). It's about the riding getting seat time in front of crowds and around other racers. Having to go to three city's has been in the rules since the "road to SX" started.

It's actually made easier now, as they can race the lites class and get points that way. But you can't cross over points from one class to the other.

Oh and they can race arenacross at age 14 and get the points they need. They don't have to wait until they're 16 to race.
Roostermx58
11/12/2015 12:03pm
Mit12 wrote:
It would seem that "the road to supercross" would be full of riders that are fresh out of the amature ranks trying to make it to...
It would seem that "the road to supercross" would be full of riders that are fresh out of the amature ranks trying to make it to the big time. This is the road to and "from" supercross is a place for a rider to go when his career is nearing its end and now the place that new tallent is forced to go.
agreed. Hard for younger riders to get their license when they are potentially racing against veterans of the sport and champions of years past in AX.
KHenry901
Fantasy
2177th
11/12/2015 12:10pm
Mit12 wrote:
It would seem that "the road to supercross" would be full of riders that are fresh out of the amature ranks trying to make it to...
agreed. Hard for younger riders to get their license when they are potentially racing against veterans of the sport and champions of years past in AX.
Top ten in the points can't race the "lites" class. It's not a big deal. If the rider is good they will breeze through it. I personally watched Alex Fry struggle in the whoops and rythym section 2 or 3 weekends in a row before he started making the top 30. Kid was on his head more than the bike. Now you're telling me he needs to be on a supercross track learning this?
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1417th
11/12/2015 2:13pm
Out west here, Milestone is building their Arenacross practice track now, hopefully some other tracks will follow suit. It will be nice for the younger kids to have some practice before they head out to an event.
MT MX
11/12/2015 2:48pm
KHenry901 wrote:
The reason they make you attend 3 or more events isn't for the money(although I'm sure they'll take it). It's about the riding getting seat time...
The reason they make you attend 3 or more events isn't for the money(although I'm sure they'll take it). It's about the riding getting seat time in front of crowds and around other racers. Having to go to three city's has been in the rules since the "road to SX" started.

It's actually made easier now, as they can race the lites class and get points that way. But you can't cross over points from one class to the other.

Oh and they can race arenacross at age 14 and get the points they need. They don't have to wait until they're 16 to race.
Thanks.
I didn't know that age 14 was the age allowed.
Jakes Dad
11/12/2015 3:14pm
How many factory amateur kids got their points and never raced a main?
SRP33
11/16/2015 6:50am
Arenacross does not get riders ready for Supercross
unless a riders has access to a Supecross track to practice on what good is arenacross
why bother going to Loretta Lynn,
RG1
11/16/2015 7:20am
If you've raced nationals do you still have to go through the road to Supercross?
steveada
11/16/2015 7:39am
I don't see why this is a big deal. You are complaining about having to go to 3 races to get a professional license? Haven't most of these kids families spent tens of thousands of dollars during the past 10 or 12 years of their life cris-crossing the country to race hundreds of races as amateurs. 3 more races is going to bankrupt them?
richter28
Fantasy
164th
11/16/2015 7:52am
SRP33 wrote:
Arenacross does not get riders ready for Supercross unless a riders has access to a Supecross track to practice on what good is arenacross why bother...
unless a riders has access to a Supecross track to practice on what good is arenacross
I disagree with that statement. Did you watch any of the "top amateurs" this last season hit a set of whoops? Executing whoops and rhythms in a tight area inches from other riders is experience you can't get from riding an SX test track. The intensity, fans, noise, bright lights etc. is all helpful for a young amateur as well. While some of the rules are not all good, the general idea of a Road to Supercross is awesome. Hopefully as the series keeps changing it will be better and better for all sides involved.
SRP33
11/16/2015 8:02am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2015 8:04am
SRP33 wrote:
Arenacross does not get riders ready for Supercross unless a riders has access to a Supecross track to practice on what good is arenacross why bother...
richter28 wrote:
I disagree with that statement. Did you watch any of the "top amateurs" this last season hit a set of whoops? Executing whoops and rhythms in...
I disagree with that statement. Did you watch any of the "top amateurs" this last season hit a set of whoops? Executing whoops and rhythms in a tight area inches from other riders is experience you can't get from riding an SX test track. The intensity, fans, noise, bright lights etc. is all helpful for a young amateur as well. While some of the rules are not all good, the general idea of a Road to Supercross is awesome. Hopefully as the series keeps changing it will be better and better for all sides involved.
guys like bloss, folkner have earned their right
They raced monster cup with 50k people Live World Wide TV what in the World can arenacross
Do for them, absolutly nothing , just a chance to get hurt. If a rider wins an A championship at lorettas or a Horizon award they go right to outdoors no problem. Should be same for SX. ALL these kids grew up racing arenacross anyway.
Arenacross is good for local guys that want to try it.
richter28
Fantasy
164th
11/16/2015 9:11am
SRP33 wrote:
richter28 wrote:
I disagree with that statement. Did you watch any of the "top amateurs" this last season hit a set of whoops? Executing whoops and rhythms in...
SRP33 wrote:
guys like bloss, folkner have earned their right They raced monster cup with 50k people Live World Wide TV what in the World can arenacross Do...
guys like bloss, folkner have earned their right
They raced monster cup with 50k people Live World Wide TV what in the World can arenacross
Do for them, absolutly nothing , just a chance to get hurt. If a rider wins an A championship at lorettas or a Horizon award they go right to outdoors no problem. Should be same for SX. ALL these kids grew up racing arenacross anyway.
Arenacross is good for local guys that want to try it.
I agree with that in a way... They have access to suspension, coaching, real SX tracks that most do not. I think if this series started in November and those guys could get their license a month before Supercross starts easily, there wouldn't be such a problem with the Road to SX. but the fact that it can hinder with their participation in SX with it starting in January makes you wonder what their logic is with the scheduling. Well, besides $$$ of course..
Mx286
11/16/2015 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2015 2:59pm
steveada wrote:
I don't see why this is a big deal. You are complaining about having to go to 3 races to get a professional license? Haven't most...
I don't see why this is a big deal. You are complaining about having to go to 3 races to get a professional license? Haven't most of these kids families spent tens of thousands of dollars during the past 10 or 12 years of their life cris-crossing the country to race hundreds of races as amateurs. 3 more races is going to bankrupt them?
That's the thing, their usually tapped out when they get to this point. Cost of getting a sx bike together is a lot more expensive than the amateur stuff. So every penny they can save helps.
dgmx
11/16/2015 3:35pm
I think it is so funny to me when people complain about old vets taking up a spot for some young kid.
if you can not beat some old guy who " cant make it in SX" Then that should be the FIRST wake up call. 2nd wake up call is if you are complaining about the money but want to make it as a pro??? the 3 weekends you have to do in AX you actually have a shot at making some money if you do well. not sure why so many guys are in a hurry to go be a "pro" sx guy to make what? The way I see it is you are either going to be a legit pro and make a salary in supercross and if that is the case doing these 3 weekend of AX will be something to chuckle about later on. or you dont actually become a pro you just become a filler for other pros and it costs you money every weekend anyway.
bobby397
11/16/2015 3:42pm
Something needs to change, riders, aka Vicki Golden, are able to get their points at the end of the season due to people basically not showing up.

Post a reply to: Road to Supercross rules and changes

The Latest