Risk Vs Reward

MotoMalyDad
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 3:11pm
With K-Dubs comments about his son and not wanting him to race, and my son having to deal with a shoulder that dislocates due to a crash at Zaca Station in 2010 , I was wondering why we put our children through it to begin with ? He was watching Jessy Nelson flying around on the KTM 50 and thought wow, I want to do that. So we started riding trails and about 6 he started racing. It was fun but expensive on the 50's along with the crashes , then 65's more speed and bigger crashes. When he wrecked his shoulder he decided to quit (yeah) , but due to Facebook and the internet he still see's the kids now teenagers that he raced with getting stuff broken constantly , the comas, the deaths . Love the sport as a spectator, but hate to see so many kids limping at 30 due to prior injuries. Yes I know we knew the risks and had meet some great people along the way, but I constantly think, was it worth it ?
|
davistld01
3/22/2015 11:39am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 11:39am
Totally agree. I'm feeling the results from my crashes in the past, as a much younger man, every day at 56, and am almost glad the injuries kept my dream of going pro from coming true. And, that was back when SX was in its infancy, and tracks were far from what they are today. I loved every minute of my racing "career"...but not sure if I would be so ready to put it all on the line every time like these amazing guys do now, no matter what the possible paycheck. I can almost see it if you're a top-5 shoo-in...but what if you know you'll never break into the top-15? Is it worth the risk...really?
SquidBro
3/22/2015 11:42am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 11:44am
With the benefit of hindsight for me, no. Take away the injuries and the financial burden that MX brings and it would've been an absolute blast!!! Like many, I sustained far too many injuries along the way and have no idea how much they will trouble me in later life.

With life changing injuries becoming a common occurrence and serious injuries almost inevitable at some point in a riders career it just isn't worth it in my squiddy opinion.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/22/2015 11:43am
Asides from it being fun, especially when you are a kid, there is much to learn while riding a motorcycle. It teaches you to be independent, respectful of power, mindful and respectful of physics, gives you a reason to be healthy in your day-to-day life and teaches you how rewarding that can be. It also gives you a sense of danger, the adrenaline rush that follows and an eye opening as to what can happen when things don't go as planned. It also teaches you that things sometimes don't go as planned and it teaches you how to both mentally and physically manage crisis.

On top of all of that (along with what I'm sure I missed) it helps you build relationships with the brotherhood that goes along with it. I built a great relationship with my father through our years of riding and racing. It gave us something in common and as a kid it gave me something to look forward to on the weekends and a reason to be a good kid. I only got hurt once through our 8 year stint of being hardcore into the sport racing every month together. Some people are crashers and others aren't. I just never was one.

Eventually I had to go to college and my parents decided that the expense and risk of racing could jeopardize the next phase of my life and so at that point it was no longer worth it. 6 years later I got back into the sport slowly. I got a pit bike, got my dad to get one then we got bigger pit bikes and now we've both got full size bikes again. My mindset on riding sure has changed though. The triples are certainly no longer worth it, heck even some of the doubles aren't Laughing but it sure is a lot of fun riding around the track following my dad and play racing together. Going out to the track and just talking shop together is something that was missing in our relationship after quitting and I'm glad it's back. That relationship that grew out of riding dirt bikes certainly was and still is worth it to me.
3/22/2015 11:49am
For me it was always worth the risk....I'm in my 50s still ride dirt and road bikes. Even when I'm sking I race my daughter down the mountain. Last time out she fell on her back at a high rate of speed, I slowed up thinking I'm about to watch her take a violent crash and ride to the hospital. Instead, she hit a lip before the next drop off that sent her flying forward and back up on her skies. It was race on. If I die tomorrow it was well worth it.

The Shop

3/22/2015 1:36pm
The best sports come with the highest risk. Half the joy is the adrenaline of being on the limit and nothing can beat that buzz , not even the thought of permanently damaging yourself
NotCore
3/22/2015 1:58pm
731chopper wrote:
Asides from it being fun, especially when you are a kid, there is much to learn while riding a motorcycle. It teaches you to be independent...
Asides from it being fun, especially when you are a kid, there is much to learn while riding a motorcycle. It teaches you to be independent, respectful of power, mindful and respectful of physics, gives you a reason to be healthy in your day-to-day life and teaches you how rewarding that can be. It also gives you a sense of danger, the adrenaline rush that follows and an eye opening as to what can happen when things don't go as planned. It also teaches you that things sometimes don't go as planned and it teaches you how to both mentally and physically manage crisis.

On top of all of that (along with what I'm sure I missed) it helps you build relationships with the brotherhood that goes along with it. I built a great relationship with my father through our years of riding and racing. It gave us something in common and as a kid it gave me something to look forward to on the weekends and a reason to be a good kid. I only got hurt once through our 8 year stint of being hardcore into the sport racing every month together. Some people are crashers and others aren't. I just never was one.

Eventually I had to go to college and my parents decided that the expense and risk of racing could jeopardize the next phase of my life and so at that point it was no longer worth it. 6 years later I got back into the sport slowly. I got a pit bike, got my dad to get one then we got bigger pit bikes and now we've both got full size bikes again. My mindset on riding sure has changed though. The triples are certainly no longer worth it, heck even some of the doubles aren't Laughing but it sure is a lot of fun riding around the track following my dad and play racing together. Going out to the track and just talking shop together is something that was missing in our relationship after quitting and I'm glad it's back. That relationship that grew out of riding dirt bikes certainly was and still is worth it to me.
This post right here is why I wade through all the bad posts on Vital. I'm coming from the dad side of this relationship, and couldn't have said it better. My kids are in high school now and our riding time together has diminished significantly due to their new found responsibilities: track and soccer and work and girls. And I miss it. I hope that my boys have accumulated the responsible perspective that you have about our experiences together as they grow older.

Our motorcycle rules when they were tykes:

- be safe
- have fun
- crying (or anger) and motorcycles don't go together. You can't control the bike if you can't control yourself.
Dx3moto
3/22/2015 2:04pm
NotCore wrote:
This post right here is why I wade through all the bad posts on Vital. I'm coming from the dad side of this relationship, and couldn't...
This post right here is why I wade through all the bad posts on Vital. I'm coming from the dad side of this relationship, and couldn't have said it better. My kids are in high school now and our riding time together has diminished significantly due to their new found responsibilities: track and soccer and work and girls. And I miss it. I hope that my boys have accumulated the responsible perspective that you have about our experiences together as they grow older.

Our motorcycle rules when they were tykes:

- be safe
- have fun
- crying (or anger) and motorcycles don't go together. You can't control the bike if you can't control yourself.
To this day those apply to myself whenever I go riding/racing.
Rick M.
3/22/2015 2:12pm
The title of this post, and the post itself is exactly what is wrong with American motocross at this moment in time.
I grew up on a motorcycle riding and racing every weekend, and what may seem like a shocker my dad rode and raced right along with me. And I think that is how it was for the most part years back. The father AND son both raced. My dad was supportive but when he ever talked about my riding it was never with "we". "We won this weekend, "We have minio's this weekend, "we have a qualifier for Loretta's this weekend". That sounds so stupid to me.

The parents in today's motorcycle world are not riding motorcycles. We have parents like the OP of this thread that talk about their kids "career". Are you kidding me? Motocross use to be about riding and racing along side your old man and enjoying life. Now, it has turned into parents bitching about money spent, and getting to the next qualifier and pushing their kids beyond their comfort zone, when in fact, they have never swung a leg over themselves.

Pure bullshit.
Rick M.
3/22/2015 2:13pm
And what is this risk vs reward. I raced because it was fun as hell, and my dad loved doing it to. We never looked down the line, I was always looking forward to the next sunday, because I could ride. Risk vs Reward hahahah
JohnnyD13
3/22/2015 2:17pm
Yes, it's worth it. Having a passion for something is one of the keys to life. It motivates, puts a hard work day into perspective and improves skills. The danger is part of the reason we are drawn to it. It's not for everyone and people like me have trouble relating to people that can sit and watch a game on a perfect Saturday, but that is the normal lifestyle of most of my friends. Sometimes I wish I could get into a stick and ball sport and have the same excitement,but it's just not happening.
Grizz
3/22/2015 3:05pm
Yes it is absolutely worth it. The adrenaline rush you get from riding (and even more so with racing) is unparalleled to anything as far as I'm concerned. It's the most fun thing I can think of doing and the rewards are endless. Not talking about money or trophies, but the feelings you get everytime you ride from the simplest things are the best rewards. Hitting a rut perfect or finally clearing that big jump, etc.

You only get one life and not doing the things you enjoy the most would be ridiculous!
FIREfish148
3/22/2015 3:34pm
ride within your limits as much as you will let yourself and it's worth it. As long as you're competitive I suppose. Otherwise it gets boring.
MotoMalyDad
3/22/2015 3:40pm
Well my plan was to race and if my son wanted to he would also. Just my first bad crash, made my bad rotator cuff tear into an inoperative full tear and to this day I can not even lift a gas can out the back of a pick up. Game over unless I get a reverse shoulder replacement. So when he wanted to line up for the first time I was happy for him. I am no way knocking the sport , just as a parent of an only child , I did everything to make it safe for him. I never went cheap on gear or keeping his bike 110 percent. He was a pretty good local rider , that I know couldn't make a living at it. Just it gets too you as your friends post pics of their kids broken tib fibs, collarbones, or pray for him as he is in a medically induced coma, so and so passed away at the track , most will have a fun indefinite time racing together , but some will not. That was a fun season with him and I am thankful he didn't get seriously hurt. I know he will never play basketball outside of high school, but I do enjoy playing with him at night.
RMRider1
3/22/2015 5:35pm
I love riding, racing...I now have my 7 yr old riding his CRF 50. I don't want him to race if he doesn't want to, I'd never push him. I got into this sport at 34 yrs of age (I'm now 38, although I did ride when I was very young) and love everything about it. Mostly for me though, it forces me to stay in shape to be on my game come the weekend during the riding season. Also, it is something my son and I can do for a long time to have our bonding time on the weekends!
diesellands
3/22/2015 6:12pm
Risk Vs. Reward...

Its really a good title for looking at mx.

Theres a few common things that I see now that im an adult

1) Parents become so invested that they push their child above the "comfort zone"
2) Parents think that winning local races = Winning races at a national level (pressure the kids at large events)
3) Tracks and moto are commercialized - The jumps are so extreme that its dangerous just for the "fans"

I walked away from the whole sport in 2006 when racing was no longer fun (spending $1000 to "win" $300). For most people (B & C classes) its a great way to spend time with the family and just have fun. The risk isn't the highest but its still there. When it becomes a financial burden its time to look at other things. Most guys don't make it to the pro level, and even when you do its not what youd think it would be. Im friends with someone who does the ax/sx/mx rounds, and if it wasn't for "free" bikes and motors, he wouldn't attend the races. Everytime we hear about a death or injury this topic comes up, but for most people there are many factors that push them back to the track. Hopefully people will follow the trend of Hepler & Others and know when its no longer a sport for them.
Drtbykr
3/22/2015 6:17pm
Winter 5 months a year, fulltime cubicle, married with children.....I don't race MX, but try to rip the trails.
Ripped shoulder.....worth ten of them.

In the big time stuff, if u get a bad start...go fast but smart. Maybe Dunge is onto something.

Spartacus
3/22/2015 6:47pm
Learning to access and manage risk is an important skill to develop. Problem is boys/young men do not have the brain development to do so without risk. [clearly some adults don't either]

Frankly riding/racing MX today is a much more dangerous pastime than is was pre double/triple days IMO.

That said I hit the ground so hard I ruptured a blood vessel in my brain 25+ years ago and their wasn't a double on the track.

I think regardless of how well risk is managed their will always be a high degree of risk when up put someone on a dirt bike that wants to go fast and jump. Enter the risk/reward debate. The answer can only be either a family or individuals choice. The more information the better the choice may be.
PEPE001
3/22/2015 7:58pm
Spartacus wrote:
Learning to access and manage risk is an important skill to develop. Problem is boys/young men do not have the brain development to do so without...
Learning to access and manage risk is an important skill to develop. Problem is boys/young men do not have the brain development to do so without risk. [clearly some adults don't either]

Frankly riding/racing MX today is a much more dangerous pastime than is was pre double/triple days IMO.

That said I hit the ground so hard I ruptured a blood vessel in my brain 25+ years ago and their wasn't a double on the track.

I think regardless of how well risk is managed their will always be a high degree of risk when up put someone on a dirt bike that wants to go fast and jump. Enter the risk/reward debate. The answer can only be either a family or individuals choice. The more information the better the choice may be.
That's the point I wrote it man other threats and that's how I see it.
Why do we need doubles and triples which can be ridden only one way.

I did amateur racing for 15 years and I had injuries but most of them where due to technical failures or getting down on the wrong place.

But we didn't had so many fatal injuries.
In 15 years (and we rode with around 300-400 racers each race weekend) the injuries where minimal.
I remember 2 which where fatal 1 rider died due to heart stroke and 1 rider got paralyzed but he rode always above his capabilities.

Other than that a broken arm, collar bone, broken leg and dislocated shoulder.
I would call those injuries "normal" but on the tracks we raced there where nor doubles or triples allowed by the rule book.
Even whoops where banned. But that was in Europe back in the days.

I am not sure but if I see the tracks in Europe "amateur tracks" the rule still exist.
If you see Herlings practicing in Flevoland, this is an amateur track no crazy doubles.

Herlings

Nice jumps but nor dangerous at all.

The local tracks are to much driven by the SX approach.
Don't get me wrong even with 50 I like to jump high and far but if I have a doubt it is not save I don't jump!

At SX it is their Job and it is entertainment it has to be spectacular but for me it could be safer and I still would watch it.
For amateurs priority nr.1 should be safety! And its not all about the bikes we rode modified 250 2 stroke and those where beasts already.

When it comes to amateur riding 99% of the riders could not even operate a 250f even close to their limits.
And that's the point, people asking for more power due to the lack of riding skills.

Found a signature the other day:

"Some people like 125s more than anything, others hate them. I noticed that people who ride poorly hate 2 strokes, especialy 125s, and those who ride good like them."

KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/22/2015 8:24pm
A close friend of our family lost their rising star, a 8 year old who was one of those getting the full ride and hucking 60' doubles while doing can cans before he turned 8. His death haunted his father until the day he himself lost his life way too young. Ask a parent who has lost a child if it is worth the risk. The rate of fatalities increasing amongst the children is out of control. Pleasure riding is great for kids but I am totally against what the amatuer scene has turned into.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/22/2015 8:32pm
Because with seat belts and air bags it is a very safe thing to do. Unless of course you are some ignorant hillbilly that throws the kids in the bed of the pickup, if that's the case I would say no to throwing the kids in the back and riding around
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/22/2015 10:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 10:59pm
Do you really think I am going to get into a debate with you over what is more dangerous for a child?

If you truly believe it is more dangerous for a child to be properly restrained in a car or racing a bike over a 60' double with other 8 year old kids then go and believe that. It is simple mathematics
flamenco
3/22/2015 11:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 11:24pm
KennyT wrote:
Do you really think I am going to get into a debate with you over what is more dangerous for a child? If you truly believe...
Do you really think I am going to get into a debate with you over what is more dangerous for a child?

If you truly believe it is more dangerous for a child to be properly restrained in a car or racing a bike over a 60' double with other 8 year old kids then go and believe that. It is simple mathematics
I just want to point out, that comparing numerical statistics of car deaths, to the relative number of "dirt bike" deaths, is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Compare the percentages of car passengers versus dirt bike participants, please and I will accept the answer.

As it is, I will say my personal opinion, for the original question. I fell in love with MX as a kid (you just know the spectacular beauty of a dirt bike ridden well, like man-ballet, ha) and raced as a kid until collarbone and college. I, of course, was injured far worse in football. This was Hannah-era for me as a kid. Enter mid-thirties, got a YZ250F and ADORED that bike. Spent some spectacularly bonding family time with friends and sons. We all broke something (three collarbones, two arms). Even the kids on 85 two strokes. I started thinking about it pretty hard as the jumps got gloomier and peakier. More fun for those who think it is the norm. I had a history of it not being so. I got hurt BMXing (talk about a stupid sport for those in their 40s) and no longer can ride motocross. I wouldn't anyway, at least not to race. Racing it is astronomically more dangerous. The introduction of the "3d' big air jumps one after the other on a modern SX track, even more so with the advent of the four-stroke traction potency, is disastrous. Every year I internally threaten to leave watching it. Sorry for the long-windedness. Has my risk-reward been worth it? Yes. Would I put my son in that risk-reward today. Absolutely no.
gt80rider
3/22/2015 11:23pm
Well, it wouldnt be any fun to ride if the risk of injury or death wasnt there, so in a sense that is why we ride. K dub might be worried about his kids riding, but so is any parent. However, another buzz to riding is freedom. The freedom that a parent is against it, but it is so much fun it is worth the ass chewing you get when they find out you just bought a bike with the yard mowing money you saved up. This pussified society needs more people riding so they can remember what it feels like to actually live, even if it means a broken bone here or there.
me_da_racer
3/22/2015 11:25pm
I still blame the 4 strokes. It isn't a 4t vs 2t think. Its is there is a big jump going from 85cc smoker to 250cc of thumper.

Just my 2¢
3/22/2015 11:33pm
I'm glad I didn't keep draining my parents for all they were worth at 18 years old to go out there in what is today the B practice and maybe come close to being in the fast 40 and making mains....to not get paid.

Not worth it. Much more worth it to just enjoy your time on the motorycycle and being with family. To make it your job, not worth it. To ride over your head....not worth it. To ride at a level that will hurt you significantly in the event of an error.....again, not worth it.
bh84
Fantasy
1761st
3/22/2015 11:52pm
I love this sport, I've broken 13 bones, been knocked out, concussed, torn ligaments, and the rest. I'll never quit so long as I can afford it. It's dangerous yes, but the feeling of being on that edge and flying high over big hucks is worth the risk. I wear Shoei helmets, and the best boots I can get, I'm not stupid about it, but I also accept the risk that comes with racing regardless of equipment. It's something we all accept when we decide to swing a leg over a bike.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/23/2015 12:41am
It is called mathematics keyboard. Billions ride in cars every day, thousands ride dirt bikes once a week. Homeschooling ?
Zracer
3/23/2015 1:11am Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 1:32am
Omg you say some dumb shit , but do honestly believe that? You need to read more than Vital. With some quick figuring of numbers given by our friendly govt sites, in 2012 ( last year of data) the death rate among children in the US in a car accident was .0000065%. Thats 650 out 100,000,000. Something tells me the mx related rate is higher than that.

Post a reply to: Risk Vs Reward

The Latest