Riding after broken femur

Dinasl
Edited Date/Time 3/9/2015 8:58am
Hey guys,
broked my femur in mx practice 3months ago, had surgery and now im with titanium rod in my left leg, i want to ride really bad but should i? would be back on the bike only after 4-5months (spring), but im not sure about that rod... so give me advice..
P.s will go to my doc next week
|
hvaughn88
11/13/2014 7:09am
stay off the bike and listen to your doctor.
11/13/2014 7:23am
Wait till your doc gives the all clear. Mine said he wouldn't take the rod out unless it causes me pain. Ive had it in for almost 4 yes now and no issues. I do wonder what happens if it breaks again but my doc didn't seem worried
Dinasl
11/13/2014 7:33am
My doc said that he will remove it after about 1year. I heard if it breaks again with rod in it, your bone can broke in few or more pieces.. so thats why im so worried about it
Team Ideal
11/13/2014 7:37am
If you had the rod put in you can basically ride as soon as you can take it. my kid was back to racing at 8 weeks out. I'd definitely talk to your doc though, every case is different. as for breaking again, it is possible, my son re-broke his after a nasty get off a couple months later. then broke it again, yeah 3 times in one summer, bending the rod and requiring them to cut a chunk of bone out then use a dremel to remove enough metal for them to straighten the rod and remove it and put a new one in. luckily this ones still in there although he had to have one of the screws removed after it started backing out and catching on something causing a lot of pain.

The Shop

Dinasl
11/13/2014 7:40am
Thanks! there's a lot of time till spring, so i think i will be riding, but not sure about racing next year
TheWells815
11/13/2014 7:42am
I broke mine June of 13. Spiral fracture. Was walking again by September. I have not rode moto again since I broke it but I ride bulls every Sunday with no issues. The soft tissue healing is what will hold you back. It takes a while for you leg to get stable again
mxpro252
11/13/2014 7:48am
Take your time. Unless youre getting paid a lot to rush back out there, its not worth any additional risk to your health. Spend the time building strength back in that leg or else your body compensates slightly and in the not so distant future youll have a new set of issues. 8 years later, my knee is starting to give me new problems because I rushed things right after my surgery.
Cadpro18
11/13/2014 7:48am
Wait till your doc gives the all clear. Mine said he wouldn't take the rod out unless it causes me pain. Ive had it in for...
Wait till your doc gives the all clear. Mine said he wouldn't take the rod out unless it causes me pain. Ive had it in for almost 4 yes now and no issues. I do wonder what happens if it breaks again but my doc didn't seem worried
My buddy's doc told him he'd never break that femur again... well he did. His re-broke with a rod in it and the rod bent about 20°. The docs contemplated leaving it in and letting it heal with the bend. That was unacceptable, so they ended up finding a doc that was qualified to do that type of surgery... it's not as simple of a procedure as a normal broken femur. He got a new rod installed and still rides.
txgoon
11/13/2014 11:11am
I'd wait. I waited 5 months and hit a little step up and I guess I landed to hard. I rebroke my femur and bent the rod to the point of it breaking.
shane509
11/13/2014 11:17am
Dinasl wrote:
My doc said that he will remove it after about 1year. I heard if it breaks again with rod in it, your bone can broke in...
My doc said that he will remove it after about 1year. I heard if it breaks again with rod in it, your bone can broke in few or more pieces.. so thats why im so worried about it
in 2008 at the age of 15, i shattered my femur. had a 16" ti rod and 2 screws put in. within three months i started walking and returned to normal activities. The doctor advised my parents to not let me race because if i would crash and land on my knee, the rod could be pushed up to my hip and blow it to pieces... so we listened and 15 months later had the rod taken out and resumed racing. Every case is different like previously stated... people are out there racing with titanium rods in both their femurs. Just see what your doctor has to say and go from there. Wish the best of luck to you!
MotoxTodd
11/13/2014 11:33am
Take your time and listen to your doctor
rmpilot
11/13/2014 4:33pm
i broke my femur and now have more problems because my first race back the rod wouldn't let it break and hip socket is pinched like bo Jackson.
bd
11/13/2014 5:26pm
Listen to your doctor and get yourself back into physical shape.
bradmx421
11/13/2014 5:33pm
I snapped mine before, I was off the bike for about 6 months. Took about another month until I was comfortable starting my bike on my own again(broke right femur). I still have the rod in, and I always can sense when the rain is coming.
11/13/2014 5:37pm
I severely broke my left femur, 14" titanium rod in there still. I spent 5 months healing before I could run on it, and at 10 months doc cleared me to ride. By then it felt good. I still have it in there, but I quit MX 2 yrs after breaking it.

Listen to the doc. Heal it properly, that takes time, and yeah, if you are riding MX I would get the rod out.
Dinasl
3/9/2015 6:26am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2015 6:27am
7months after surgery and im back on the bike.
2nd ride after broken femur,hard to come back....still feeling very uncomfortable on bike. Short video of riding here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-gJjSHfNo

p.s i broked my femur on that triple (1:40min)
3/9/2015 6:37am
I am going on 6 years since broken femur with rod. Heres a couple notes:
1. They went through my knee to put the rod in. I wish I had told them no. The amount of noisey scar tissue is bad.
2. I rode about 7 months after my surgery. Doctor released.
3. It was 2 years before strength in leg was the same.
4. I still have the rod and my insurance company is the hold up.

I had learned that if you have another accident, and the rod bends, you have to let it heal bent or there are only 4 facilities in the country that can fix the issue and put your leg back together. GET THAT ROD OUT!
Moto520
3/9/2015 6:59am
The bones take a while to fuse together with this injury. You will see on the xrays (as will your doctor) whether or not the complete fusion has taken place. Once it has...you should be good to go. This, of course, depends on whether your knee needs rehab or not.

Mine took 6 months to completely heal. Good luck! Once it heals you should have no issues. I would recommend getting the rod removed in the off season because it can hurt if you twist the leg into certain positions.
jchek779
3/9/2015 7:00am
Take your time and let things heal. The bone can handle riding in 6-8 weeks, but the trauma associated with breaking a femur has a huge impact on the muscles and tendons in your leg. They will take months if not years to get back to 100% with PT. My other leg is still significantly stronger. Don't risk it - you have the rest of your life to ride.
Get the rod removed as soon as possible. I broke my femur in 1998 and have a Ti rod and 2 screws still in there. I was told that if I didn't have pain, then I don't need to have it removed. 17 years later...not a single doctor wants to touch it.
Dinasl
3/9/2015 7:07am
Thanks for advices guys, doctor says he will remove rod this year (summer-autumn) but now he said that i can do anything i want, yeah i know its very risky to ride with it... I dont feel any pain while or after riding. But I will ride safely this year!
beamer
3/9/2015 7:21am
I broke mine when i was 22, 21 years ago. That was January and i had it removed that following September. During the time that the rod was in i had alot of discomfort in my hip area since the rod was inserted from the top of the femur down. I couldnt lie down on that side it was too uncomfortable but it was a huge improvement after the rod was removed and to this day i have no problems at all. It is a little weaker than my other leg though. If my memory serves me right i didnt ride at all that summer, it just didnt feel good enough.
crusher773
3/9/2015 7:39am
Do what your dr says then add another month with just normal working out. My brother broke his 4 times in 5 years pretty much wrecked him on racing. It's not worth rushing back from.
BMR179
Fantasy
1239th
3/9/2015 7:43am
Broke mine mid shaft and neck in February 2000. Was riding in 5 months. Listen to your Doc and your body. My rod is still in, but I had the screw above my knee removed last November. All is good. I will say, after 15 years, that the leg that was not broken is way stronger than the other. The soles of my MX boots tell the entire story. Major wear on one and hardly any wear on the other. The Doc told me the only rehab I needed was to walk a lot. If I had it to do over, I would work on re-building my muscles in that leg.

The life of a MX'er, broken bones and cool scars. Regular folk just don't get it.
NorcalVet
3/9/2015 8:58am Edited Date/Time 3/9/2015 8:59am
Broke mine back in 2011. Fast clean break, tried to throw the bike away, it decided to come back and land on me at a sand track.

Ti rod and three screws. Mines been perfect no issues. My dr was amazed at how much bone growth I had. I think I was off work for 2.5- 3 months. Starting working out the last month; treadmill, cycling, weight machine and stretching. I did all my PT and more. Thought I was 110% when I returned back to work. Not. My job requires working 8-10 hr days and on my feet most of the time. I was 100 % after about 2-3 weeks.... But I deffinately had some Oakland hip-hop to my step going on Wink

Btw I really enjoyed my time off, first vacation (including holidays) longer then 9 days or so off!!! Also my daughter just turned 1 and I had plenty of time to hang out. Score for me!!

ps: it did suck the first week or so, but my local kaiser and dr did a great job.

Post a reply to: Riding after broken femur

The Latest