Riding after Traumatic Brain Injury

AKmotorider
So guys, I need some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating head injury, or TBI. A mild concussion doesn't count. TBI is essentially a concussion, but far worse. To put things into perspective, I was in a coma for five days after my motorcycle accident (this was on the street). Am I saying that you need to have gone through the same thing? No. However, I would like some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating injury, maybe just an injury of any kind, and had to make the decision about whether to ride the following year.

I'm twenty-one years old, and have raced motocross every summer since I was fourteen. It makes me feel... well, I'm not really sure how to describe it. My life is rather mundane, but when I get on that bike and race, I feel alive and in control for however long I'm riding it. I live in Alaska, by the way, so summer is like five months max.

Point is, the injury will not be the hardest thing I've ever had to go through, if I do indeed decide to stay off the dirt bike this summer. The hardest thing, guaranteed, that I will have gone though, is to have stayed off the bike this summer. It is one of the very few things I truly love in life, and I fervently look forward to it every year. I do nothing in the winter.

Buuuut, and this is a big but, I'm also not an idiot. My brain injury occurred in very late September of last year. If you all think it's more than just wise, but critical, to stay off the bike this year, just like my doctor thinks (but you know doctors... always over-protective of your physical health, like parents), then I will stay off of it this year. Looking up at that bright sun, experiencing the peak of summer greatness, it will undoubtedly be monumentally difficult to put riding into the back of my mind, but I can do it.

What do you think?

Thanks!
|
Spartacus
3/26/2017 5:41am Edited Date/Time 3/26/2017 5:41am
In May of 1990 I stuck a wheel in a rut in 3rd gear and rotated over the front axle. Long story short, I was unconscious for about an hour then mostly out on the 2 hour transfer to the second hospital. I coded once during that trip. I spent 4 days in ICU then a week on the neurological floor. When I left the hospital I walked like Frankenstein, had double vision, poor balance and slurred speech.

It took about 8 years before I stopped seeing very gradual improvement but I think I'd gotten about 75% back in the first year. Balance was my main issue. I was riding again in August and raced in Sept. BUT, that was 1990 and far less was know about TBI back then and if I'd hit my head again it would have been really bad.

At only 21 you have years ahead of you and while I'm sure it's killing you to not ride, I'd advise being pretty conservative so what you love doesn't actually kill you.
kkawboy14
3/26/2017 5:58am
3 years ago I suffered a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, (sudden death) the heart stops pumping due to a viral infection causing swelling and the electrical gets freaked out. Due to the heart not working the brain goes thru a trauma due to a lack of blood. Was in a coma for 5 days. It affected my memory and my eyesight. I had another heart failure a couple months ago and an open heart surgery a year and a half ago.

The only time I can't ride (which is right now) is when I'm taking blood thinners so as not to have a stroke from a blood clot. As soon as I'm off blood thinners.....braaaaap
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
3/26/2017 6:13am
kkawboy14 wrote:
3 years ago I suffered a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, (sudden death) the heart stops pumping due to a viral infection causing swelling and the electrical gets...
3 years ago I suffered a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, (sudden death) the heart stops pumping due to a viral infection causing swelling and the electrical gets freaked out. Due to the heart not working the brain goes thru a trauma due to a lack of blood. Was in a coma for 5 days. It affected my memory and my eyesight. I had another heart failure a couple months ago and an open heart surgery a year and a half ago.

The only time I can't ride (which is right now) is when I'm taking blood thinners so as not to have a stroke from a blood clot. As soon as I'm off blood thinners.....braaaaap
How old are you, if you dont mind me asking?
kkawboy14
3/26/2017 6:15am
kkawboy14 wrote:
3 years ago I suffered a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, (sudden death) the heart stops pumping due to a viral infection causing swelling and the electrical gets...

motoxxx599 wrote:
How old are you, if you dont mind me asking?

The Shop

Jaybird67k
3/26/2017 6:28am
I had a brain bleed (subdural hematoma) and woke up one day after weeks of headaches and fell flat of my face getting out of bed because I had lost motor control on my left side. Was rushed to the hospital for an emergency Craniotomy and was in ICU for a while.
They left a hole in my head (or window) to let the swelling go down for 3 months or more before installing a Prosthetic polymer acrylic type material to take the place of the original skull they removed.

I was riding within 2 months of the second surgery. Haven't had any problems so far.

Jason
Coyote
3/26/2017 6:37am
So guys, I need some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating head injury, or TBI. A mild concussion doesn't count. TBI is essentially a...
So guys, I need some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating head injury, or TBI. A mild concussion doesn't count. TBI is essentially a concussion, but far worse. To put things into perspective, I was in a coma for five days after my motorcycle accident (this was on the street). Am I saying that you need to have gone through the same thing? No. However, I would like some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating injury, maybe just an injury of any kind, and had to make the decision about whether to ride the following year.

I'm twenty-one years old, and have raced motocross every summer since I was fourteen. It makes me feel... well, I'm not really sure how to describe it. My life is rather mundane, but when I get on that bike and race, I feel alive and in control for however long I'm riding it. I live in Alaska, by the way, so summer is like five months max.

Point is, the injury will not be the hardest thing I've ever had to go through, if I do indeed decide to stay off the dirt bike this summer. The hardest thing, guaranteed, that I will have gone though, is to have stayed off the bike this summer. It is one of the very few things I truly love in life, and I fervently look forward to it every year. I do nothing in the winter.

Buuuut, and this is a big but, I'm also not an idiot. My brain injury occurred in very late September of last year. If you all think it's more than just wise, but critical, to stay off the bike this year, just like my doctor thinks (but you know doctors... always over-protective of your physical health, like parents), then I will stay off of it this year. Looking up at that bright sun, experiencing the peak of summer greatness, it will undoubtedly be monumentally difficult to put riding into the back of my mind, but I can do it.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Took a nap after hitting a booby trap in Mexico in 1000 for a month or so, took 6 months to really get my equilibrium/balance comfortable again, rode chase in the isde for scott summers in finland roughly a year after accident and only issues there was a concern about was hitting my head again. i was basically warned by my docs that i got lucky this time and woke up, another blast to the noggin and i might not be so lucky. put my wife through enough and didn't want her worrying every time i rode so quit off road. still stay involved as i have alot of friends in the industry (worked for Suzuki for eight years) and watch sx every weekend. all the best, probably depends on the extent of your injury, mine was located in a relatively serious area, still don't have taste or smell. -chas
tempura
3/26/2017 6:38am
Listen to your doctor when it comes to serious issues concerning your brain.. No matter what people tell you here.
You're still young and have plenty of riding opportunities to come. Find something else to do this summer.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
3/26/2017 6:41am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Sorry to hear this, damn, take care of yourself and get well! I'm guessing if you've raced around here in the 50+ class over the fast few years we probably lined up together--I truly hope we do in the future! And I'm so jealous of how close you are to Red Rocks, but it's worth the 3 hour drive for me every once in a while!

OP, at 21 you have decades ahead of you to race and enjoy this sport. Take care of yourself now, and use the summer as motivation for getting back on the bike, and something to look forward to, not something to be mad about.

Oh, and stay off those damn street bikes! Those car things will try and kill you!
KMC440
3/26/2017 6:52am
You are so freaking young with lots of time left.

My only thought would be take the entire year off of any bike, even bicycle, then go through a concussion testing process next spring.
Best wishes for a complete recovery.
Moto520
3/26/2017 7:51am
My advice.....take about a year off the bike so that you don't ruin riding for yourself. I've been severely injured (as have most of us) and was forced to take about a year off from riding. I knew that if I wanted to keep riding for years to come.....this was the right move. So....since you love the sport so much.....make the sacrifice and come back when you are fully released from the doctor and ready. Obviously get a 6D or Troy lee SE4 helmet since these seem to have the most padding between your brain and the air
JWACK
3/26/2017 8:18am
So guys, I need some input from someone who has suffered a debilitating head injury, or TBI. A mild concussion doesn't count. TBI is essentially a...

What do you think?

Thanks!
Coyote wrote:
Took a nap after hitting a booby trap in Mexico in 1000 for a month or so, took 6 months to really get my equilibrium/balance comfortable...
Took a nap after hitting a booby trap in Mexico in 1000 for a month or so, took 6 months to really get my equilibrium/balance comfortable again, rode chase in the isde for scott summers in finland roughly a year after accident and only issues there was a concern about was hitting my head again. i was basically warned by my docs that i got lucky this time and woke up, another blast to the noggin and i might not be so lucky. put my wife through enough and didn't want her worrying every time i rode so quit off road. still stay involved as i have alot of friends in the industry (worked for Suzuki for eight years) and watch sx every weekend. all the best, probably depends on the extent of your injury, mine was located in a relatively serious area, still don't have taste or smell. -chas
I had a 4th gear jump incident in 04 that has changed my smell and taste as well. It was one of those late afternoon one more lap type of deals. I should have stopped when my body told me to. Ktfo for 20-30 minutes, near death experience all that.. Can't remember a few years of my life around that timeframe and have some short term memory issues from it. Not good but I'm aware of it so I can work around it.. Took 6+ months off riding. Came back with a more careful mindset and won a few A class championships and was able to line up for a few AMA pro races. I'm glad I didn't quit when the doctors told me I needed to.

Op if I was you, I would stay off a bike until I was 100% ready with no side effects and stay off the street! Be careful and when you start to exert yourself again, be aware of how your feeling.
kijen
3/26/2017 8:24am
Take the summer off, work your butt off and get in the best shape of your life, then come back the following summer and ride to a new level.
Mr. Info
3/26/2017 8:39am
Take your time. Tomorrow is a gift and so is life. Don't throw that gift away cause your in a hurry. Being young is on your side.
3/26/2017 8:54am
My advice get a stand up jet ski, similar feel to riding an mx bike without the hard slams when it goes wrong, have a summer off the bike
3/26/2017 9:27am
kijen wrote:
Take the summer off, work your butt off and get in the best shape of your life, then come back the following summer and ride to...
Take the summer off, work your butt off and get in the best shape of your life, then come back the following summer and ride to a new level.
This is a great idea.
JBecker 72
3/26/2017 10:01am

What do you think?

Thanks!
Coyote wrote:
Took a nap after hitting a booby trap in Mexico in 1000 for a month or so, took 6 months to really get my equilibrium/balance comfortable...
JWACK wrote:
I had a 4th gear jump incident in 04 that has changed my smell and taste as well. It was one of those late afternoon one...
I had a 4th gear jump incident in 04 that has changed my smell and taste as well. It was one of those late afternoon one more lap type of deals. I should have stopped when my body told me to. Ktfo for 20-30 minutes, near death experience all that.. Can't remember a few years of my life around that timeframe and have some short term memory issues from it. Not good but I'm aware of it so I can work around it.. Took 6+ months off riding. Came back with a more careful mindset and won a few A class championships and was able to line up for a few AMA pro races. I'm glad I didn't quit when the doctors told me I needed to.

Op if I was you, I would stay off a bike until I was 100% ready with no side effects and stay off the street! Be careful and when you start to exert yourself again, be aware of how your feeling.
A guy I went to school with had a snowboarding accident where he wasn't wearing a helmet. He completely lost his sense of smell and taste as well. Pretty scary.

OP, hope you heal up and return to riding. But I'd probably be taking it easy for a while and following the doctors advice.
jnickell
Fantasy
1836th
3/26/2017 11:37am
I had a good one in 2010 too. Got T-Boned by some idiot entering the track at speed on a practice day. I was in ICU for about a week with a collapsed lung and some damage to my brain that they weren't sure I would live through. The result was horrific short term memory, closed left eye because of 3rd nerve damage, and double vision. Double vision is still there when I glance up, down, left or right. The 3rd nerve is still jacked up so my left eye range of motion isn't broad enough to keep up with my right eye. With the vision issues and the fact that this one nearly killed me, on top of the fact that brain injuries are cumulative, I had to call it quits. I'm still a huge follower of the pro scene but no more riding for me.
Hallzilla
3/26/2017 11:42am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Ive been on the thinners and they are no Joke
Hallzilla
3/26/2017 11:43am

What do you think?

Thanks!
Take it slow and easy. Time os on your side !
potatoflake
3/26/2017 2:21pm
Coming from someone that struggled with epilepsy for 5 years in my high school years you need to give yourself and brain time to settle back into its normal flow, you need to be doing everything you can to get enough rest and enough food in your body, you really should try to just slow down for the summer and enjoy your life outside of dirtbikes, Just think about what could happen if you sustain another blow to the head? you do not want to cause any further damage to your developing brain.

I know that motocross is your passion as it is mine but you should really consider the fact that if something happens you can make your situation 10x worse.

Give yourself 1 summer to concentrate on your inner self and you will benefit for the rest of your life

kkawboy14
3/26/2017 2:24pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

Hallzilla wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Ive been on the thinners and they are no Joke
It's all good, I have a beautiful wife of 35 years this year, good kids, a son in law who is more than a dad should ever get for his daughter.....so I'm ok, I just can't ride right now Smile
aees
3/26/2017 2:27pm
ask them to do a NFL test from spinal fluid. That will say in black and white how recovered you are. normal value is around 300 or so, boxer that gets knocked out it shot up to 4000. heavy concussion similar if you pass out for a second.

takes 9 months to recover. after 18 weeks you are at 5-600.

a new concussion, the sooner after the first the worse up until those 9 months can be devastating.
3/26/2017 2:36pm
This is what I'm reading "Guy's I got a really bad brain injury. My Dr. says not to ride this summer. But, what does he know?? I'd rather get real advice from a bunch of wannabe MXers (No Offense to anyone here. I include myself in this) that really have 0 interest in whether I live or Die because of this"

Listen to your Doctor. They actually do know what's best for you and aren't just "Over protective like your parents."
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
3/27/2017 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 5:58pm
This is what I'm reading "Guy's I got a really bad brain injury. My Dr. says not to ride this summer. But, what does he know...
This is what I'm reading "Guy's I got a really bad brain injury. My Dr. says not to ride this summer. But, what does he know?? I'd rather get real advice from a bunch of wannabe MXers (No Offense to anyone here. I include myself in this) that really have 0 interest in whether I live or Die because of this"

Listen to your Doctor. They actually do know what's best for you and aren't just "Over protective like your parents."
What Kennyfree said......

We all love to ride, or did so at one point.

I'm 55, that asphalt and that ground is pretty damn hard these days, especially after dropping out of the sky into a middle of a pack a nutjob MX'ers......just like me!

For Goodness sakes Bro,

DO NOT EFF AROUND WITH YOUR BRAIN!!!!

Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
3/27/2017 4:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2017 4:34pm
Mr. Info wrote:
Take your time. Tomorrow is a gift and so is life. Don't throw that gift away cause your in a hurry. Being young is on your...
Take your time. Tomorrow is a gift and so is life. Don't throw that gift away cause your in a hurry. Being young is on your side.
Mr. INFO has great info.

Time is on your side......take it and heal
Mr. Info
3/27/2017 6:08pm
Thanks Mr. Slap. I don't always start or stir shit up.
malachi177
3/27/2017 6:32pm
Last summer on June 11 in Nanaimo (amateur day before the National) my son (16 at the time) was life flighted to Vancouver. His bike (rmz250) landed on his head/chest area resulting in him being in a coma for 5 days, along with two badly bruised ( they called them fractured ??) lungs, broken nose, and a torn esophagus. He spent 10 days in the hospital. He's doing good with his recovery and seems fine aside from his smile is different. He seems angry all the time, not sure if it's not riding, being a 17 year old teenager, or what. He wants to race again, I've told him he can ride this summer and work on corners and just get seat time. I myself am on the fence on whether he should line up again. It's all he's known since he was 5 years old. The doctors of course told us that he should never ride a bike again, shouldn't play any sports ever again etc. The wife doesn't want him racing again either.
kkawboy14
3/27/2017 6:36pm
malachi177 wrote:
Last summer on June 11 in Nanaimo (amateur day before the National) my son (16 at the time) was life flighted to Vancouver. His bike (rmz250)...
Last summer on June 11 in Nanaimo (amateur day before the National) my son (16 at the time) was life flighted to Vancouver. His bike (rmz250) landed on his head/chest area resulting in him being in a coma for 5 days, along with two badly bruised ( they called them fractured ??) lungs, broken nose, and a torn esophagus. He spent 10 days in the hospital. He's doing good with his recovery and seems fine aside from his smile is different. He seems angry all the time, not sure if it's not riding, being a 17 year old teenager, or what. He wants to race again, I've told him he can ride this summer and work on corners and just get seat time. I myself am on the fence on whether he should line up again. It's all he's known since he was 5 years old. The doctors of course told us that he should never ride a bike again, shouldn't play any sports ever again etc. The wife doesn't want him racing again either.
Man that's tuff! I can't handle watching my kids hurting. I'm glad I only had girls.

Post a reply to: Riding after Traumatic Brain Injury

The Latest