Riding MX with Bark busters

The Rock
10/15/2014 3:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2014 7:14pm
I was just looking some pictures of the 2014 YZ450F that I rode in Canadaiqua three or four weeks ago and realized the last two bikes I have been on a MX track with both have had Bark Busters. I raced Sunday on a 2009 YZ250F was the second but before these two bikes have never been on a MX track with Bark Busters..

To tell you the truth I didn't even notice them nor did I notice the handguards I ran for years. I am too busy looking at the track to have any awareness of what's going on around my hands.

Bark Busters a problem actually a myth or an actual reality for some?
|
O___o
10/15/2014 3:31pm
you don't know they are there until you hit a jump, land a little squirelly, slip a hand off the grip and break your radius and ulna.
JerseyFresh
10/15/2014 3:32pm
Having the ends of the levers cut off was always pretty annoying for me when I rode friends' off road bikes. However I've seen Wally Palmer scrub the shit out of some jumps with busters and a big tank, so I guess it's just whatever you're used to.
The Rock
10/15/2014 3:42pm
O___o wrote:
you don't know they are there until you hit a jump, land a little squirelly, slip a hand off the grip and break your radius and...
you don't know they are there until you hit a jump, land a little squirelly, slip a hand off the grip and break your radius and ulna.
And this doesn't happen in off road RE: land a little squirrelly? Not disputing the potential for injury just wonder how often this happens.

Also do you wear a chest protector?
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
10/15/2014 4:03pm
I wouldn't run bark busters for mx, but it's all personal preference. Same goes for wearing a chest protector and not....because that's what every thread is about.

The Shop

10/15/2014 4:04pm
Riding MX with bark busters is a little weird. The danger to wrists and forearms is a lot greater in MX. But not only that, usually when you have bark busters you have narrower bars for tight trails and trees. I've never felt comfortable in deep braking bumps at the end of a fifth gear straight with narrow bars. Headshake at speed is not fun. This is much worse in the sand too. I know a few woods guys who don't use bark busters because they give them a false sense of security.
ME686
10/15/2014 4:09pm
Don't blow a hand off the bars like mentioned... gets ugly fast
ando
10/15/2014 4:14pm
If you're talking about the full aluminium versions that connect to the bar ends then they are banned in every MX event I've ever been to in Australia. The plastic hand guards that are only attached to the clutch/brake perches are OK.

Having said that I've never heard of a case where someone has sustained an injury because of them.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
10/15/2014 4:21pm
One of my friends hit a tree so hard that his wrap around style handguard (bark buster) rotated and broke several bones in his hand/wrist. He had to have several surgeries, but that's the only time I've heard of an injury happening because of them.
ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
10/15/2014 4:47pm
One of my friends hit a tree so hard that his wrap around style handguard (bark buster) rotated and broke several bones in his hand/wrist. He...
One of my friends hit a tree so hard that his wrap around style handguard (bark buster) rotated and broke several bones in his hand/wrist. He had to have several surgeries, but that's the only time I've heard of an injury happening because of them.
Sounds like they arguably prevented injury.

IceMan446
10/15/2014 4:47pm
O___o wrote:
you don't know they are there until you hit a jump, land a little squirelly, slip a hand off the grip and break your radius and...
The Rock wrote:
And this doesn't happen in off road RE: land a little squirrelly? Not disputing the potential for injury just wonder how often this happens. Also do...
And this doesn't happen in off road RE: land a little squirrelly? Not disputing the potential for injury just wonder how often this happens.

Also do you wear a chest protector?
Happened to me with just my clutch lever.

Could easily see it happening with bark busters on.
KMC440
10/15/2014 4:52pm
Can't race with the ones described by ando in the U.S. ... regular handguards are ok.

According to the ama rules at least ....
10/15/2014 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2014 4:55pm
I was going into the first turn at a mx race last year, I was about 3rd into the turn, out of nowhere this guy barges in on the outside of me coming out of the turn, He had the wrap around aluminum guards, He mashed my throttle hand with that thing and ripped my glove and peeled the skin off my hand ! Later in the race I passed him back, next set of rollers, He gets whiskey throttle ! Those f'n handguards bashed my elbow as he was gooning by me before he hit the dirt. I went and found him in the pits and had a word of prayer with him about his handguards !
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
10/15/2014 5:05pm
First turn bar banging can get ugly- I've actually gotten another rider's bar end caught in my barkbusters during a harescrambles start. I was running full wrap barkbusters, he was running handguards with an open bar end. We both ended up going down, but I think he got the worst of it.

Like mentioned above, i don't think barkbusters are legal for mx. Guess it depends on whether your track ref enforces it.

H
kawirider819
10/15/2014 5:18pm
Having the ends of the levers cut off was always pretty annoying for me when I rode friends' off road bikes. However I've seen Wally Palmer...
Having the ends of the levers cut off was always pretty annoying for me when I rode friends' off road bikes. However I've seen Wally Palmer scrub the shit out of some jumps with busters and a big tank, so I guess it's just whatever you're used to.
I remember Wally Palmer coming to Crapsworth when I was younger. Made the track his bitch that day. Might be my imagination but I swear he hucked that finish line table and almost landed in the woods. Dudes nuts.
ty159
10/15/2014 5:54pm
I race HS and MX. I absolutely LOVE having hand guards when you're heading into the first turn and its close quarters. I hated them for years and raced the HS races without them, but once I put them on and quit worrying about the little bushes it makes a confidence difference in the woods and the first turn in a MX race, you don't have to worry about your fingers hitting the hundreds of things they can't hit in a crowded first turn and you can focus on getting on the gas and watching for lines to open, not your fingers getting the shit smashed out of them. That's just me though.
10/15/2014 6:01pm
I've run my woods bike in a few MX races. I do enjoy the security going into the first turn. I don't ride wild and slam people so if someone hits me and my barkbusters tear their knuckles up they should have braked.
ty159
10/15/2014 6:16pm
I've run my woods bike in a few MX races. I do enjoy the security going into the first turn. I don't ride wild and slam...
I've run my woods bike in a few MX races. I do enjoy the security going into the first turn. I don't ride wild and slam people so if someone hits me and my barkbusters tear their knuckles up they should have braked.
No absolutely don't go slamming into people. It just lets me hold my line even if the guy next to me is leaning on me. I've had my fingers smashed by fenders, elbows all manner of things. This just allows you to focus on your riding, not watching to pull your fingers out of the way.
40Plus_922mx
10/15/2014 6:19pm
Ist time I ever road with bark busters I had a small crash and during the crash popped the tip of my pinky off as a result of getting it pinched between the ground and the bark buster some how. I have never rode with em since.
10/15/2014 6:44pm
ty159 wrote:
I race HS and MX. I absolutely LOVE having hand guards when you're heading into the first turn and its close quarters. I hated them for...
I race HS and MX. I absolutely LOVE having hand guards when you're heading into the first turn and its close quarters. I hated them for years and raced the HS races without them, but once I put them on and quit worrying about the little bushes it makes a confidence difference in the woods and the first turn in a MX race, you don't have to worry about your fingers hitting the hundreds of things they can't hit in a crowded first turn and you can focus on getting on the gas and watching for lines to open, not your fingers getting the shit smashed out of them. That's just me though.
I agree 100%. Biffed in the whoops at my local track and bent my left bb up so I pulled them off and ran without them for the first time ever. After my first moto without them I quickly realized that getting roost to the knuckles is no fun and when you go down in a corner your bars stick in the ground about 6" which sucks and doesn't really happen with bb.

Not to mention the difference it made on wear to my clutch perch from roost. It use to look like new but not so much anymore.
To each there own, I love them and won't race with out them again.
I will say that bikes look way better without them though.
markit
10/15/2014 7:14pm
Bbs are evil
One time my bbs just broke a guys leg for no reaso
Paloae and Oboma are goint to ban bbs for sure!!

Post a reply to: Riding MX with Bark busters

The Latest