Rider's Going Off The Track

lukaitis9
8/28/2013 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 12:09pm
Is it me or are more riders going off the track, pinning it wide open and then getting back on?

Twice this season I was almost taken out while shooting photos. The AC incident at Unadilla and at Southwick when Brady Kiesel got off track after the finish line and gassed it down the whole infield area next to Henry highway before getting back on the track.

If I had these 2 experiences at the 3 nationals I shot, I'm sure Guy B or Cox must have experienced it as well.

Just my 2 cents.
|
ocscottie
8/28/2013 6:48pm
Flaggers w/ paintball guns! at the end of the moto, however many paint ball shots a rider has on them, is how many positions they get docked BlinkLaughing
mattbmx63
8/28/2013 6:51pm
I saw the Southwick one and we all were shocked someone would do something that dumb. Getting back on at the next safest spot doesn't mean wide open through a group of people.
mx757
8/28/2013 6:54pm
They could have shut all of that down had they penalized RV in SX. Them not doing anything about that incident set the precedent that they were going to let it slide.

The Shop

ATKpilot99
8/28/2013 7:02pm
I remember either Emig or Weege saying early in the season that the yellow markers were the track boundary this season and not merely a "suggestion" of where the track ends, but they really haven't enforced it.
slipdog
8/28/2013 7:06pm
mx757 wrote:
They could have shut all of that down had they penalized RV in SX. Them not doing anything about that incident set the precedent that they...
They could have shut all of that down had they penalized RV in SX. Them not doing anything about that incident set the precedent that they were going to let it slide.
Bingo!
hvaughn88
8/28/2013 7:12pm
mx757 wrote:
They could have shut all of that down had they penalized RV in SX. Them not doing anything about that incident set the precedent that they...
I'm a villopoto fan so it pains me to say this, but I agree 100% with you
500guy
8/28/2013 8:15pm
the whole thing is bullshit, they need to set up a barrier especially on the start and implement a rule if you leave the track you have to get back on in less than 50 feet.
onthepipe
8/28/2013 9:23pm
Yes, I agree, It's getting out of hand...

Also Baggett setting up Roczen for the pass last week, cut a piece of track on the inside. Was clearly intentional to cut it.
VRR7
8/29/2013 12:20am
Those Acerbis Markers look a lot safer and cause less crashes than tuff blocks. The mesh that MXGP used to use as well seemed dangerous and used to get stuck in wheels a lot

MotoGP and Road Racing have the same problems riders push and go off track and have to rejoin often in corners that represent a short cut and hence create an advantage.

Car Racing - F1 - Touring etc have the same probelm going off track and re joining.

It seems the standard rule for all is you are not allowed to make up a place and if you do you have to give it back - And that is it !

Running off track is part of racing close to the edge ! Surely we do not want to change that ?

The new Acerbis markers are safer. See many tuff blocks are dangerous threads.

I think the Acerbis markers are a good solution - Rider safety is more important than staying on track - On the edge battles are better than the slower colouring between the lines idea.

All that is needed is consistent application of the do not make up a place by going off track rule ! ( ie do not re enter the track 1 or many places ahead of the place you where in when you left the track - Can be same position ) Easy Safe and good for racing and same as all motor sport .
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
8/29/2013 9:27pm
RV2 held a clinic on "Off the Track Racing"...................it was well attended I'm told.
8/30/2013 3:16am
I fucking hate cheaters. I know it this has been discussed before, but I think there is a valid point here. This year has been horrible with all the track cutting. As I see it, there are 3 ways of solving this problem, or a combination of them.

1. From what I've read there has been fines this year for cutting the track. A few hundred dollars is nothing for the top guys. I do not know the rules, and hopefully the fines are different for the amateurs, or it would be really unfair.
Raise the fines, and do them on a % of the riders salary.

2. A stop and go booth. Depending on how severe the incident, you have to stand still longer. This penalty is equal to all, and everybody feels it.

3. Put up soft/folding banners to block zones. if you cross them and dont exit the zone where you entered, you are out of the race.
Lefty Right
8/30/2013 7:53am
The only reason they quit putting up snow fences and banners around the whole track wasn't for safety it was because it took a lot of time and their cutting cost.

It's all about getting in there making money and getting in and out as fast as they can...

The rule use to be you go off the track you had to go back and enter where you left the track.

and if they didn't they would be one lap down.

The riders tried to do every thing they could to stay in the track boundaries they knew what the results would be?

A crash, snow fencing in there wheel or lap down if they didn't re enter the track where they went off.

you didn't see pin it and grab another gear and get back on the track
8/30/2013 8:07am
Another thing i was wondering, how is it safe when a rider just blasts WFO trough the pit area? I don't see how no regulation has been made yet about that. Hell im suprised noone has been hurt....
MBBadgers
8/30/2013 8:15am
The only reason they quit putting up snow fences and banners around the whole track wasn't for safety it was because it took a lot of...
The only reason they quit putting up snow fences and banners around the whole track wasn't for safety it was because it took a lot of time and their cutting cost.

It's all about getting in there making money and getting in and out as fast as they can...

The rule use to be you go off the track you had to go back and enter where you left the track.

The riders tried to do every thing they could to stay in the track boundaries they knew what the results would be?

A crash, snow fencing in there wheel or lap down if they didn't re enter the track where they went off.

who are you kidding. you don't think putting 1,000's of those acerbis yellow things in the ground are any different than the fencing? bullshit and look around there are banners everywhere, big metal scaffolding all over the track in key places. there is no saving money when it comes to getting the track ready, stop with your slandering and bitching, it's old and tiring like you.
moto314
8/30/2013 8:22am
I think they should change the rule to you have to re-enter the track where you went off, if that is not a safe place to re-enter, then you must ride back (under 5mph) to the safest place prior to where you went off (not after). You may not advance on the track at all. Just my 2 cents.
njracer46
8/30/2013 8:33am
i do see alot of hazards very close to the side of the track at many events.. i think supercross is way worse though. first turn crashes sometimes push into the next lane over and throw tough blocks and what not into the middle of the track in the next lanes. i've seen so many close calls it scares me sometimes. not only on the starts but if a rider gets squirly in the whoops or on a jump and goes into the other lane dragging tough blocks there with him. i foresee a very bad collision happening soon, and it sucks because nothing will be done before that. but what can you do? make the lanes farther apart? that makes the track smaller. maby put up invisible force fields that bounce riders back into there own lane
Lefty Right
8/30/2013 10:53am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 10:53am
The only reason they quit putting up snow fences and banners around the whole track wasn't for safety it was because it took a lot of...

MBBadgers wrote:
who are you kidding. you don't think putting 1,000's of those acerbis yellow things in the ground are any different than the fencing? bullshit and look...
who are you kidding. you don't think putting 1,000's of those acerbis yellow things in the ground are any different than the fencing? bullshit and look around there are banners everywhere, big metal scaffolding all over the track in key places. there is no saving money when it comes to getting the track ready, stop with your slandering and bitching, it's old and tiring like you.
Yeah you're a dumb ass Banners EVERY WHERE LOL Then how do the riders keep going off the track missing corners and jumps ??

Look at Alessi and the other riders they went right threw that banner right??? LOL WRONG...

If that would have be snow fenced in they would have had to shut off or crashed and he would not be wide open off the side of the track and re entering in 8th place....

Plus Miss know it all there is a diffrents between streching a snow fence a round both sides of the whole track and cost a lot more than putting a little yellow marker that you can run over and cut inside of at will .

snow fencing has been race proven and it works! little yellow markers obviously aren't working other wise

we wouldn't be talking about it Rookie......
Sondy132001
8/30/2013 11:02am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 11:03am

MBBadgers wrote:
who are you kidding. you don't think putting 1,000's of those acerbis yellow things in the ground are any different than the fencing? bullshit and look...
Yeah you're a dumb ass Banners EVERY WHERE LOL Then how do the riders keep going off the track missing corners and jumps ?? Look at...
Yeah you're a dumb ass Banners EVERY WHERE LOL Then how do the riders keep going off the track missing corners and jumps ??

Look at Alessi and the other riders they went right threw that banner right??? LOL WRONG...

If that would have be snow fenced in they would have had to shut off or crashed and he would not be wide open off the side of the track and re entering in 8th place....

Plus Miss know it all there is a diffrents between streching a snow fence a round both sides of the whole track and cost a lot more than putting a little yellow marker that you can run over and cut inside of at will .

snow fencing has been race proven and it works! little yellow markers obviously aren't working other wise

we wouldn't be talking about it Rookie......
You obviously haven't been to any races this year. I took this at Hangtown this year lots of banners.

Lefty Right
8/30/2013 11:28am
I didn't say there wasn't any banners he said the whole track was lined with banners....

look at the picture of the start at the top of the page a few banners you're dad would've had that whole corner in closed in...

Sondra you know that the whole track use to be in closed in by snow fencing! and hay bayles and there was no cutting the inside of coners or going around jumps

so do you think it would have cost your family the same in man power and materials to put up little yellow marker up as it would have to snow fence the whole track ??
Sondy132001
8/30/2013 11:37am Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 11:37am
I didn't say there wasn't any banners he said the whole track was lined with banners.... look at the picture of the start at the top...
I didn't say there wasn't any banners he said the whole track was lined with banners....

look at the picture of the start at the top of the page a few banners you're dad would've had that whole corner in closed in...

Sondra you know that the whole track use to be in closed in by snow fencing! and hay bayles and there was no cutting the inside of coners or going around jumps

so do you think it would have cost your family the same in man power and materials to put up little yellow marker up as it would have to snow fence the whole track ??
No I get it but snow fencing was kind of scary, saw plenty of guys hit that. Believe it or not snow fencing is hard to find now a days, my brother put sections of snow fencing around his replica Carlsbad track @ The Ranch to make it look authentic, he had to drive all the way to Bakersfield to get it and it was way pricey. My dad and brother, plus a couple of our track workers usually set up the banners etc.

I think the decorations at the Nationals are good, track cutting has nothing to do with how the course is marked, it has to do with not enforcing the rules, period. Dock a dude and no one else will do it =)

oh and PS those little yellow markers cost a grip too !
Lefty Right
8/30/2013 12:04pm
I know it was scary at times that's why when most riders were getting close to them they shut off they knew that was where the track ended.

I Believe you about it's hard to find snow fencing. but the point is they ride as far as they can to the edge of the track and if they go off oh well pin it and get back on where ever they want to'.....

with the whole track in closed by banners snow fencing what ever. it would make them stop a lot of this cutting corner and going round jumps and with being put down one lap not positions .... a lot of rules where made by your dad and they should still stick with them...
Lefty Right
8/30/2013 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/30/2013 12:10pm
Sondra i would Iike to thank you and your family for running awsome races for so many yearsSmileSmileSmileSmileWink

Post a reply to: Rider's Going Off The Track

The Latest