Rider/Mechanic Race Communication

dean122
6/17/2014 11:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 9:13pm
So I know this has probably been brought up a time or two, but is there a possiblity this will happen in MX? As in riders having built in helmet mics or ear pieces to communicate with his team during a race. I have no idea if they allow this in GP, but it seems in most form of racing, spotting communication has become the norm.

There are other factors such as concentration, focus, breathing technics, ect, but could still be an option for those that want it. I definintely think it could come as a huge advantage. Thoughts?
|
tobz
6/17/2014 11:37pm
Should be allowed, along with it being aired on the live broadcast, ALA formula 1. It's much more immersive to the viewer when you know why someone is catching someone, or why someone is struggling or what the team tactic is.

But were stuck in the dark ages, where the industry is full of secrets and cheesy press releases.
hillbilly
6/18/2014 10:58am
"Breaker braker Bob1 this is McCarty control, we need you to let broc bye"

"McCarty control,this is Bob 1 ,fuck you"

This is stupid in some many ways,the cost, earpieces that block engine sound,rider distracted by a voice in his ear,

If you don't no why some rider is gaining on another,it is simple,he is faster.
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:27am
hillbilly wrote:
"Breaker braker Bob1 this is McCarty control, we need you to let broc bye" "McCarty control,this is Bob 1 ,fuck you" This is stupid in some...
"Breaker braker Bob1 this is McCarty control, we need you to let broc bye"

"McCarty control,this is Bob 1 ,fuck you"

This is stupid in some many ways,the cost, earpieces that block engine sound,rider distracted by a voice in his ear,

If you don't no why some rider is gaining on another,it is simple,he is faster.
Ok, that was pretty damn funny

The Shop

Gringoe
6/18/2014 12:25pm
I mean a one way to the rider is possible but it wouldn't work very well, unless say the rider knew he was going to get some type of instruction at a certain point in the lap (big jump) and can focus for that split second to hear what is said. Pretty pointless though. It's 30+2 not 3 hours plus 2. Besides, 99.9% of the time (unless the rider is dumb) the rider knows exactly what's going on and needs no instruction besides a pit board.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
1860th
6/18/2014 12:46pm
I like the idea, if TLD was using one last weekend maybe Jake would have been back up and riding. You did see what came of that yeah? No fault of Mookie, he couldn't see him. Riders like Tomac are already wearing earplugs, the bikes are fuggin loud the headsets won't drown out the sound of the guys around you.

I have them and use occasionally with my son. It's pretty cool the things he tells me (he's 8) that I didn't think he would think about. I like to aid in him finding better lines and it helps, I'll show him after his moto how it affected lap times. I haven't used it for about 6 months or so, I should get it out!
Aron213
6/18/2014 1:30pm
IIRC, Jeff Ward showed up at the 1st round of SX back in the early 80's, AMA said nope and had them remove it
6/18/2014 2:08pm
Will the rider feel more pressured to do things (jumps) he's not comfortable doing if he was someone talking him into it?

Also, it's better for racing if the guy in 2nd has some fast lines and the leader doesn't know how he's catching him. Then we get a battle, and at that point the leader can see how he was caught and adapt. If your mechanic is in your ear saying "Reed's going outside and tripling onto the step-on, do it or get passed," then the battle never happens.
6/18/2014 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 3:26pm
That is not allowed in France but I like the idea, although it give an edge to loaded teams and there would always be some deviant behavior by yelling over the rider, taking away his concentration/so danger, or unecessary talks.

Maybe it could start as a safety thing like "lappers get out the way" but it would quite change the way racing is.

Otherwise, it could be awesome to have an update on the leaders fast new lines including lesser rutty lines jump, or to know live if a line is faster or as fast for less energy based on GPS.

To the show it may add something too, any new tech is often a cool factor (i.e. in F1 we hear some orders between the drivers & the teams)

All that to say we firstly need more GoPro live Smile

Ash124
6/18/2014 3:36pm
I'd be for the idea, but imagine the psychotic mini dads yelling at their kids the entire race....

You can guarantee that if the pros do it, the 50cc class would be straight onto the trend.

Interesting as a coaching tool though.
6/18/2014 5:57pm
Limit the range to close proximity of the mechanics area and assign the radios to the teams at each event to prevent tampering.

Would be a good replacement for the pit board. 15 seconds of communication per lap would be plenty.

No need to have "the voice of God" in your head all the way around the track. Spotters are for NASCAR.

Not allowed for ANY mini class. Ever. Last thing you need is for some rabid mini dad to put a hit on a competitor by Junior.Evil
Coyote
6/18/2014 6:07pm
dean122 wrote:
So I know this has probably been brought up a time or two, but is there a possiblity this will happen in MX? As in riders...
So I know this has probably been brought up a time or two, but is there a possiblity this will happen in MX? As in riders having built in helmet mics or ear pieces to communicate with his team during a race. I have no idea if they allow this in GP, but it seems in most form of racing, spotting communication has become the norm.

There are other factors such as concentration, focus, breathing technics, ect, but could still be an option for those that want it. I definintely think it could come as a huge advantage. Thoughts?
4 years ago it was brought up in the national mx managers meetings and really haven't heard anymore about it since then. Personally I think it needs to happen for many reasons while safety is one item that our sport needs to have more of. Most of all top level motorsport racing has them now, we need to step up!!
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
6/18/2014 8:38pm
You can see it at the Monster Energy Cup. Mike Alessi used one at least for a bit. If I remember correctly he wasn't fond of it.
Old-Man
6/18/2014 9:05pm
Aron213 wrote:
IIRC, Jeff Ward showed up at the 1st round of SX back in the early 80's, AMA said nope and had them remove it
Remember that...Think it was Johnson that protested or maybe Honda
JeepnMike
6/18/2014 9:13pm
Aron213 wrote:
Old-Man wrote:
Remember that...Think it was Johnson that protested or maybe Honda
I swear Johnson had one too... As I remember that and how it went down, a few factory teams had radio units that I think were actually one-way audio. The radios were crazy expensive, privateers flipped out because there was no way anybody could afford them, and they were banned.

Post a reply to: Rider/Mechanic Race Communication

The Latest