Ricky in the booth

4/14/2014 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2014 9:02am
When was the last time RC was in the booth?

I thought the announcing is getting better.

I even like Ralph now!
|
Sawfish
4/15/2014 4:40am
Hope he stays out of there. His snide comments are just obnoxious. On a sidenote my chick and I ran into Ralph at SEATAC on Sunday morning. Super nice dude.
MotoX85
4/15/2014 6:13am
See I am just the opposite, I find myself screaming for Ralph to shut up. Also I do not take Rickys comments as obnoxious, I take them as witty banter. Also Jeff seems to jab right back. Also I know these 2 are good friends so this is why I take them as jokes, if they were not, then I would agree with the obnoxiousness.

Or it may just be that I am just as obnoxious and do not see the problem Smile
huck
4/15/2014 6:23am
I wish Ralph would stop trying to talk over Jeremy and Jeff. Nobody cares about what he has to say.
Gringoe
4/15/2014 6:43am
huck wrote:
I wish Ralph would stop trying to talk over Jeremy and Jeff. Nobody cares about what he has to say.
It wouldn't be bad if he didn't say the stupidest shit. I remember a couple times on Saturday night where riders would be battling and he'd ask emig and mc the stupidest question and they would both kind of just wait 5 seconds before trying to answer..

The Shop

jtomasik
4/15/2014 6:57am
RC was the best MX'er here in the states, no doubt. But, he isn't a good sportscaster. I like MC or Windham better. Shaheen makes me miss Art Eckman, though. At least Art came off as a knucklehead when he'd say something inaccurate or, um, lame. I wonder if that guy's still alive....wasn't he a huge boozer?
hillbilly
4/15/2014 7:13am
huck wrote:
Gringoe wrote:
It wouldn't be bad if he didn't say the stupidest shit. I remember a couple times on Saturday night where riders would be battling and he'd...
It wouldn't be bad if he didn't say the stupidest shit. I remember a couple times on Saturday night where riders would be battling and he'd ask emig and mc the stupidest question and they would both kind of just wait 5 seconds before trying to answer..
He has to get down on their level,the delay is just the extra long wiring in Ralph's fat head.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
595th
4/15/2014 7:17am
See, I'm the opposite. KW is great on SX live but not so much on the race broadcast. I just don't think MC is doing that well at all. I know he is trying hard and that is what I mean. It comes across that he is trying hard. He will get better. I remember in the early 2000's he announced some and I thought he did great then. RC seems comfortable. Like what he says or not, he sticks with the flow and if he has a point to make he will bring attention to himself and make it. I think RC is the best of the 3 in the booth. I commend RC so much for not promoting the crap out of his team. He had so many chances to do so. Emig has tried pushing him into comments on it a 1000 times. If it wasn't for Emig, you would not know from the broadcast that RC was involved with a team.
4/15/2014 7:17am
I've always liked Ralph. RC and Emig is my favorite combo.
Mxdnusa
4/15/2014 7:23am
Me too. I like MC and KW in there as well. Perfect scenario for me is Ralph and Emig with RC,MC and KW rotating. Actually that's about what we are getting. It works for me.
LoudLove
4/15/2014 7:30am
When the racing's close, RC and Fro's experience and expertise are highlighted, making for great commentary. It's the "downtime" when riders are spaced by several seconds that creates uncomfortable banter. Untimely replays and "Pass of the Race" segments (which almost inevitably transpire in the midst of tight racing) often makes the broadcast somewhat unstable.

Tour de France commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen excel at filling voids with insightful, engaging conversation. The Tour remains a 4 hour snooze-fest, riddled with moments of excitement. Phil and Paul's ability to command the viewers' attention for hours on end is second to none.

Here's a question: if you were given the opportunity to sit in the broadcast booth during a race, would you do it? Could Feld or NBC Sports hold a "fan in the booth" contest? The afternoon's qualifiers could determine the winner's ability to hold his or her own, and their performance during the night show would determine their tenure in the booth. Hey, if a couple of high school drop-outs can do it, how hard can it be? It's not like millions of viewers will judge your every sentence or anything.
4/15/2014 7:37am
I can understand maybe the producers wanting them to take different sides but to me the guy was one of the baddest guys to ever ride a motorcycle and he beat Fro down quite a bit in a very humiliating fashion. So the "Goat" coming on TV and "Gloating" on a weekly basis seems a bit classless to me. If he'd take a lesson off MC and show a little more class he'd do better. Also MC knows how to dress although I think he's doing better in that department this year.

On a side note, Langston does an awesome job on the arenacross broadcast.
4/15/2014 7:50am
LoudLove wrote:
When the racing's close, RC and Fro's experience and expertise are highlighted, making for great commentary. It's the "downtime" when riders are spaced by several seconds...
When the racing's close, RC and Fro's experience and expertise are highlighted, making for great commentary. It's the "downtime" when riders are spaced by several seconds that creates uncomfortable banter. Untimely replays and "Pass of the Race" segments (which almost inevitably transpire in the midst of tight racing) often makes the broadcast somewhat unstable.

Tour de France commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen excel at filling voids with insightful, engaging conversation. The Tour remains a 4 hour snooze-fest, riddled with moments of excitement. Phil and Paul's ability to command the viewers' attention for hours on end is second to none.

Here's a question: if you were given the opportunity to sit in the broadcast booth during a race, would you do it? Could Feld or NBC Sports hold a "fan in the booth" contest? The afternoon's qualifiers could determine the winner's ability to hold his or her own, and their performance during the night show would determine their tenure in the booth. Hey, if a couple of high school drop-outs can do it, how hard can it be? It's not like millions of viewers will judge your every sentence or anything.
The answer to your question on if we can sit in the booth and do their job is no.

But that is a stupid question. That's the same as saying could you hit that quad? Nope. The teams hire the best people they can with the best shot at winning, hence the reason Ricky always had a job wherever someone could afford him and provide him with a factory bike.

The booth should be no different. That is the top announcing job in the sport with the most people watching and FELD/Monster/Speed/Fox1 or whoever puts those guys in their should hire the best person for the job period otherwise the broadcast will not be as good as it could of been. If you put me in the booth holy cow I wold get slaughtered on here but I know better than to apply for it or accept a job that I cannot perform to expectations. That's one reason Emig deserves so much respect he has worked very hard to become a professional announcer where as RC shows up and seems to "wing" it. Maybe RC practices hard at announcing and we don't know it but he comes up short for sure same we all did in our moto careers! We all practiced hard but our career wasn't what RC's was. He just isn't ready for it at this time. Maybe in the future.

Kinda like Erv. You ask me well can you do better? Nope. But Rocket Rob could. Why isn't he in there?
dennisjonon
4/15/2014 7:56am
i live for when he says a rider "comes falling out of the sky"
huck
4/15/2014 7:58am
If I hear "adversity" one more time, i may puke! We should start a drinking game...every time somebody says "QUAD" or "ADVERSITY", you take a drink. You'll be trashed before the heats are over!
davistld01
4/15/2014 8:13am
Ralph has been around the racing scene a long time, and has done the color announcing for various sports a long time. He ain't perfect, but he's a heck of a lot better than some I've heard.

RC was an amazing MX/SX racer...he is not a sports announcer. Period.

Give the boys some slack.
Big Lenny
4/15/2014 8:28am
I though RC did a pretty good job, he usually calls it as he sees it..Did the Jeff Alessi comment cause him lay low?...Whistling
TallonT911
4/15/2014 8:29am
My favorite is Ralph's new trademark line, "It's Gate Drop Time"
jtomasik
4/15/2014 8:41am
huck wrote:
If I hear "adversity" one more time, i may puke! We should start a drinking game...every time somebody says "QUAD" or "ADVERSITY", you take a drink...
If I hear "adversity" one more time, i may puke! We should start a drinking game...every time somebody says "QUAD" or "ADVERSITY", you take a drink. You'll be trashed before the heats are over!
Or tweet a "shut up Ralph" for every one. If everyone here started doing it, I wonder what Shaheen would do?
LoudLove
4/15/2014 8:48am
The answer to your question on if we can sit in the booth and do their job is no. But that is a stupid question. That's...
The answer to your question on if we can sit in the booth and do their job is no.

But that is a stupid question. That's the same as saying could you hit that quad? Nope. The teams hire the best people they can with the best shot at winning, hence the reason Ricky always had a job wherever someone could afford him and provide him with a factory bike.

The booth should be no different. That is the top announcing job in the sport with the most people watching and FELD/Monster/Speed/Fox1 or whoever puts those guys in their should hire the best person for the job period otherwise the broadcast will not be as good as it could of been. If you put me in the booth holy cow I wold get slaughtered on here but I know better than to apply for it or accept a job that I cannot perform to expectations. That's one reason Emig deserves so much respect he has worked very hard to become a professional announcer where as RC shows up and seems to "wing" it. Maybe RC practices hard at announcing and we don't know it but he comes up short for sure same we all did in our moto careers! We all practiced hard but our career wasn't what RC's was. He just isn't ready for it at this time. Maybe in the future.

Kinda like Erv. You ask me well can you do better? Nope. But Rocket Rob could. Why isn't he in there?
Take a peek at my last paragraph again. It's not asking "could you do better", it's asking "would you do it?". Not the same thing.

Also, are RC and Fro "the best", or do they simply have broad name recognition and a passing ability in the booth? There are several retired racers who would likely perform better behind the mic, but they do not have multiple titles or longevity in the sport. Jim Holley's name is frequently batted about as possible fill-in, yet he doesn't get the call. Why? Because Jeremy and K-Dub's phones are ringing first.

So let's ask again: if you were given a chance to sit in the booth, would you take it?
4/15/2014 9:03am
I guess I just don't care or notice who is in the booth. I don' pay much attention to what they say so all announcers are pretty much the same to me, though If I had my druthers they would have a dull Brit announcing.
HenryA
4/15/2014 9:10am
Emig is the boss right now
LastCall211
4/15/2014 9:32am
Give me David Bailey in the booth over any former pro.
GIwasB4
4/15/2014 10:56am
Is DB not a former pro?

I think MC and RC in the the booth with Fro would be quite the combination. Bye Ralph.
C.Worthy
4/15/2014 11:31am
I think MC has nailed it so far. I'd prefer to see him in the booth more than having RC there.
Ing
4/15/2014 11:47am
I think Emig is doing an awesome job. Ralph, I've gotten use to him over the years. For a third I don't think MC is doing a bad job. He'll get better for sure.
ATKpilot99
4/15/2014 11:58am
They should get Howerton and Hannah in there .
Tim Parsley
4/15/2014 11:59am
I get annoyed with RC because he shows so much bias in favor of reed and stewart, almost like he wants to see them win so badly because they were who were running with him and to an extent "dethroned" RC. I recall a time when RC said "James is just toying with him now, he has him right where he wants him" referring to a battle between Stewart and Villopoto. Come on Ricky....
LastCall211
4/15/2014 1:37pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Is DB not a former pro?

I think MC and RC in the the booth with Fro would be quite the combination. Bye Ralph.
Uhhhhh......yea. Exactly what I was saying. He would be my choice over them all.
Crush
4/15/2014 4:29pm
I actually thought Ricky was ok. Not a fan of when he and Emig would get after each other too much but a little was fine. I also think he was pretty good about being careful talking about his team.

Jeremy is a monster guy too, and for whatever reason Ricky has been away change is sometimes good, but he'll be back for sure.

Post a reply to: Ricky in the booth

The Latest