Ricky Johnson on the USGP

line-up
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 11:32am
http://www.supercross.com/rj-says/rj-says-us-mx-gp-at-glen-helen-my-tho…

I was very impressed with the layout of the entire facility - the pits, the press, the track ... the entire presentation.

Everyone from Glen Helen Raceway - Dr. Bud Feldkamp (track owner) to Lori (track manager), their staff including Carl, Steve, Bob did a great job in representing the United States and California in having one of the greatest motocross tracks in America.

I sat with Dr. Wolfgang Srb, President of the FIM Motocross Commission, and he was very impressed with the preparation of everything as well, including the track, especially with the fact that the event was put on with 60 days notice. He thought everything was top notch, and is excited to have the event come back next year.

The preparation and environment on race weekend couldn't of been any better. Probably many might of been disappointed because the crowd wasn't bigger. I think in part that is due to a few reasons: part was due to the fact the race was put together 'last minute', part was the weather (it was quite hot), part was Friday's massive traffic accident that paralyzed much of Los Angeles' freeway system - where people had spent up to ten hours stuck in their cars, deciding not to go anywhere over the weekend that required any driving, and, the biggest reason - most of the top American stars of supercross and motocross didn't come out to play. Those factors hurt the crowd. And of course, the 'e' word - the economy.

As far as Giuseppe Luongo, Youthstream, and the FIM - I thought they ran the races and schedule perfect. I liked the schedule - they had the "old man's" class early in the morning, with Doug Dubach reigning supreme. The Moates Cup, an idea conceived by Scott Cox was a great idea. I think Marty (Moates) looked down from heaven and was happy to see his legacy carried on. I would like to congratulate Zach Osborne for winning it. I know personally that Mike Alessi and his dad were disappointed in not winning it (it's a trophy and check going to the 'Top American' at the GP - both Mike and Zach finished second overall in their respective MX1 and MX2 classes). Technically, Mike had a 2/4 finish, and Zach had a 4/2 finish.

The competition - I thought it was awesome. The racing was great. Tony Cairoli showed why he is the world motocross champion (of MX1). I was excited to see Ben Townley shine so well in the second MX1 moto (by winning). Ben was running strong in the first moto as well, even though he fell down. It was great to see Ben Townley 'back'.

I was very impressed with both Tony Cairoli and Mike Alessi. They both ride the KTM 350, and both riders and bikes were astounding to watch. The holeshots they pulled in the first moto were phenomenal. They had five bike lengths on everyone else going into the first turn. So, if there was any doubt on whether the 350's can run with the 450's going down that long start straight and into an uphill first corner, there is no doubt.

To see the support on hand from past GP winners - Chuck Sun, Broc Glover, David Bailey, Brad Lackey, myself, Johnny O'Mara, and others, was great. And all of us thought - to a man, that all the top American riders should of been there racing.

I know they have contracts. I know they have concerns about winning National Championships. But to me, and others, the top American series riders should of been there.

Tony Cairoli was beating everyone at the des Nations last year in Italy. If I, as a top rider of today, had the opportunity race with him, and a chance to dethrone the World Champion, and on my home 'turf', that's exactly what I would try to do.

If you look at the history of American motocross, and remember, motocross originated in Europe, all the top US riders, the ones that make up the very best our country has produced - names like I listed above, and, Bob Hannah, Marty Smith, Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, Jeff Stanton, Jeff Emig, Jeff Ward, James Stewart - have taken their turns, some more than others, in battling with the best the rest of the world has to offer.

I think it was a mistake by many of the top American riders not to race. Again, I understand there could be contractual or personal reasons not to race. But many didn't even show to support their country and our country's war Veterans on Memorial Day. They also gave World Champion Tony Cairoli the knowledge that he could win, leave, and know that no one dared to compete with him.

Some have said I called out those riders previously for not competing, and said they were 'sissies'. I did not say that. I said, as I'm saying here on Supercross.com, that I think they made a mistake by not showing up, and not racing. And they let a lot of people down, including the fans.

For whatever reason, they didn't show. For me, as a former racer, a former GP winner, and as a fan, it was disappointing to know America didn't have every star on hand. Mike Alessi, Ryan Hughes, Zach Osborne, and the other guys that showed for America did an awesome job representing our country - I wish the rest of them were there too.

Congratulations to Tony Cairoli for winning the US Motocross GP in MX1, and congratulations to Marvin Musquin in dominating both motos and winning in MX2. Great race, great event, great presentation, and looking forward to the Motocross of Nations near Denver in late September.
RJ

|
DanDunes818
6/4/2010 12:30am
RJ tells it like it is. Good to hear somebody like RJ call out the Americans that didn't race.
Jefro98
6/4/2010 1:38am
RJ tells it like it is. Good to hear somebody like RJ call out the Americans that didn't race.
+1.
robkinuk
6/4/2010 2:03am
Thanks RJ for telling it like it is! I was accused by some people on here of trying to "shame" the US riders into competing, glad to see you echoed my thoughts and values on the USGP.
Roll on 2011. I think the "competition" between YS and MX Sports is good for our sport as both strive to try and put on the best events they can and the fans are the real winners on both sides of the Atlantic

The Shop

mxgeoff
6/4/2010 2:04am
David Bailey said pretty much the same thing in an interview I did last weekend. It wasn't about money to race against the GP riders, it was about pride.

Good to see somebody like Johnson setting the record straight about the USGP. Clowns like Steve Cock obviously know little about the sport.
burnside
6/4/2010 2:18am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2010 2:37am
Nice read. I really hope BT does well this weekend off the back of his win.. He's the perfect example of why riding it was a good idea.. Come in on an off weekend, RACE, and leave with a head full of confidence! Gotta beat a quiet day at Pala eh?
motomike137
6/4/2010 4:04am
Dropbear wrote:
They dont make em like RJ any more.

dude's truly a legend... but unfortunately times have changed
6/4/2010 4:06am
I like Rick's attitude here. O'Mara's was the same, saying that the U.S. riders gotta train and practice motos during the downtime anyways, so why not race and make if fun at the same time.

O'Mara and Johnson are really competitive and I'm sure they wouldn't have allowed someone like Antonio to come over and win on their home turf without at least fighting him for it.

Even battle scarred Ryan Hughes showed up to race, regardless of what his agenda is.

The problem is, top U.S. guys like Stewart have no fucking pride anymore.
WideOpen
6/4/2010 4:40am
mxgeoff wrote:
David Bailey said pretty much the same thing in an interview I did last weekend. It wasn't about money to race against the GP riders, it...
David Bailey said pretty much the same thing in an interview I did last weekend. It wasn't about money to race against the GP riders, it was about pride.

Good to see somebody like Johnson setting the record straight about the USGP. Clowns like Steve Cock obviously know little about the sport.
Cox's article in X was nothing more than a ball kicking session. DC did not need to take a shower that day. Cool
TFS
6/4/2010 5:20am
Great summary.

Good for RJ.

Fortunately people like RJ are not intimidated by what is "PC" or not, and went out to support the USGP.
edub
6/4/2010 5:26am
Well said by RJ.
jaeckle
6/4/2010 6:28am
Great read. Thanks for posting that. RJ is spot on.
SL91
6/4/2010 6:41am
First of all, good on Kyle Chisholm for manning up and racing the GP. How showed some competitive spirit that many of his national competitors lacked.

On a much smaller scale the same thing happened here in Canada when the Canadian riders didn't even show up to race the Toronto supercross and stayed home. The contract excuse was used, but they were scared. It's too bad the top US guys were afraid to race the top Euros- while it's still debatable who are the best Mxers in the world, maybe the Americans didn't want to learn the truth.

Bravo to RJ for representing the old style racer- one who lined up with pride to try his best to be the best.
mjskier
6/4/2010 6:59am
The problem is, top U.S. guys like Stewart have no fucking pride anymore.

Bad example. Stewart isn't a top US guy. He is an injured top US guy.
burnside
6/4/2010 7:14am
SL91 wrote:
First of all, good on Kyle Chisholm for manning up and racing the GP. How showed some competitive spirit that many of his national competitors lacked...
First of all, good on Kyle Chisholm for manning up and racing the GP. How showed some competitive spirit that many of his national competitors lacked.

On a much smaller scale the same thing happened here in Canada when the Canadian riders didn't even show up to race the Toronto supercross and stayed home. The contract excuse was used, but they were scared. It's too bad the top US guys were afraid to race the top Euros- while it's still debatable who are the best Mxers in the world, maybe the Americans didn't want to learn the truth.

Bravo to RJ for representing the old style racer- one who lined up with pride to try his best to be the best.
Like Tommy Searle said, guys probably didn't want to risk being beaten buy guys they'd never even heard of. Real bummer Searle was bust up though, would have spiced up the 250f class.

And yeah, BIG PROPS to all of the USA/AMA riders that raced! Can only be a good thing for all of them. I know Alessi didn't win, but expect he'll feel stronger for it going into Rd2.. And obviously BT must be buzzing!
DownSouth
6/4/2010 7:25am
Johnson told it like it was when he raced. Times have changed in MX just as with the rest of the world.

This generation of racers has not had a USGP since 1999. It has no historical frame of reference or importance to them. It is going to take time to restore the interest in it. If the USGP was so important why was there no talk of having one again until what, 2 years ago? And the interest seemed to come from YS wanting to get back into America, not America demanding a GP.

It may become a big thing again but the disinterest for the 2010 race has nothing to do with being scared of the GP riders. IMO it has more to do with the timing related to the US schedule and many riders dislike of GH.
raddad
6/4/2010 7:38am
DownSouth wrote:
Johnson told it like it was when he raced. Times have changed in MX just as with the rest of the world. This generation of racers...
Johnson told it like it was when he raced. Times have changed in MX just as with the rest of the world.

This generation of racers has not had a USGP since 1999. It has no historical frame of reference or importance to them. It is going to take time to restore the interest in it. If the USGP was so important why was there no talk of having one again until what, 2 years ago? And the interest seemed to come from YS wanting to get back into America, not America demanding a GP.

It may become a big thing again but the disinterest for the 2010 race has nothing to do with being scared of the GP riders. IMO it has more to do with the timing related to the US schedule and many riders dislike of GH.
I agree with much of what you say, this is not the good old days, they're gone.. but i would have liked to see how more of our top guns would have done just for the fun of it! Maybe things will change if the GP can survive a few more years of empty seats.
Outsider
6/4/2010 7:54am
Dropbear wrote:

Times have changed.

Kids used to go outside and play together, not sit inside and play video games all day.

Fans used to go to the races to see the fast guys, not sit inside and watch their computer screens and bitch about every and anything. (yea, like I'm doing now)

Riders raced because they loved racing, being around other racers, the camaraderie, the competition was the focus.

Now it's all about the money, IMO. Anyone that's paid attention to certain riders and how their speed and fitness fluctuate almost precisely along with their contract terms can see that.

SL91
6/4/2010 8:40am
Dropbear wrote:

Outsider wrote:
Times have changed. Kids used to go outside and play together, not sit inside and play video games all day. Fans used to go to the...
Times have changed.

Kids used to go outside and play together, not sit inside and play video games all day.

Fans used to go to the races to see the fast guys, not sit inside and watch their computer screens and bitch about every and anything. (yea, like I'm doing now)

Riders raced because they loved racing, being around other racers, the camaraderie, the competition was the focus.

Now it's all about the money, IMO. Anyone that's paid attention to certain riders and how their speed and fitness fluctuate almost precisely along with their contract terms can see that.

X2
motomike137
6/4/2010 8:45am
Dropbear wrote:

Outsider wrote:
Times have changed. Kids used to go outside and play together, not sit inside and play video games all day. Fans used to go to the...
Times have changed.

I think we hit the proverbial wall when RC retired, he seemed to be the last of that breed.
BMSOB
6/4/2010 8:46am
line-up wrote:
http://www.supercross.com/rj-says/rj-says-us-mx-gp-at-glen-helen-my-thoughts I was very impressed with the layout of the entire facility - the pits, the press, the track ... the entire presentation. Everyone from Glen...
http://www.supercross.com/rj-says/rj-says-us-mx-gp-at-glen-helen-my-tho…

I was very impressed with the layout of the entire facility - the pits, the press, the track ... the entire presentation.

Everyone from Glen Helen Raceway - Dr. Bud Feldkamp (track owner) to Lori (track manager), their staff including Carl, Steve, Bob did a great job in representing the United States and California in having one of the greatest motocross tracks in America.

I sat with Dr. Wolfgang Srb, President of the FIM Motocross Commission, and he was very impressed with the preparation of everything as well, including the track, especially with the fact that the event was put on with 60 days notice. He thought everything was top notch, and is excited to have the event come back next year.

The preparation and environment on race weekend couldn't of been any better. Probably many might of been disappointed because the crowd wasn't bigger. I think in part that is due to a few reasons: part was due to the fact the race was put together 'last minute', part was the weather (it was quite hot), part was Friday's massive traffic accident that paralyzed much of Los Angeles' freeway system - where people had spent up to ten hours stuck in their cars, deciding not to go anywhere over the weekend that required any driving, and, the biggest reason - most of the top American stars of supercross and motocross didn't come out to play. Those factors hurt the crowd. And of course, the 'e' word - the economy.

As far as Giuseppe Luongo, Youthstream, and the FIM - I thought they ran the races and schedule perfect. I liked the schedule - they had the "old man's" class early in the morning, with Doug Dubach reigning supreme. The Moates Cup, an idea conceived by Scott Cox was a great idea. I think Marty (Moates) looked down from heaven and was happy to see his legacy carried on. I would like to congratulate Zach Osborne for winning it. I know personally that Mike Alessi and his dad were disappointed in not winning it (it's a trophy and check going to the 'Top American' at the GP - both Mike and Zach finished second overall in their respective MX1 and MX2 classes). Technically, Mike had a 2/4 finish, and Zach had a 4/2 finish.

The competition - I thought it was awesome. The racing was great. Tony Cairoli showed why he is the world motocross champion (of MX1). I was excited to see Ben Townley shine so well in the second MX1 moto (by winning). Ben was running strong in the first moto as well, even though he fell down. It was great to see Ben Townley 'back'.

I was very impressed with both Tony Cairoli and Mike Alessi. They both ride the KTM 350, and both riders and bikes were astounding to watch. The holeshots they pulled in the first moto were phenomenal. They had five bike lengths on everyone else going into the first turn. So, if there was any doubt on whether the 350's can run with the 450's going down that long start straight and into an uphill first corner, there is no doubt.

To see the support on hand from past GP winners - Chuck Sun, Broc Glover, David Bailey, Brad Lackey, myself, Johnny O'Mara, and others, was great. And all of us thought - to a man, that all the top American riders should of been there racing.

I know they have contracts. I know they have concerns about winning National Championships. But to me, and others, the top American series riders should of been there.

Tony Cairoli was beating everyone at the des Nations last year in Italy. If I, as a top rider of today, had the opportunity race with him, and a chance to dethrone the World Champion, and on my home 'turf', that's exactly what I would try to do.

If you look at the history of American motocross, and remember, motocross originated in Europe, all the top US riders, the ones that make up the very best our country has produced - names like I listed above, and, Bob Hannah, Marty Smith, Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, Jeff Stanton, Jeff Emig, Jeff Ward, James Stewart - have taken their turns, some more than others, in battling with the best the rest of the world has to offer.

I think it was a mistake by many of the top American riders not to race. Again, I understand there could be contractual or personal reasons not to race. But many didn't even show to support their country and our country's war Veterans on Memorial Day. They also gave World Champion Tony Cairoli the knowledge that he could win, leave, and know that no one dared to compete with him.

Some have said I called out those riders previously for not competing, and said they were 'sissies'. I did not say that. I said, as I'm saying here on Supercross.com, that I think they made a mistake by not showing up, and not racing. And they let a lot of people down, including the fans.

For whatever reason, they didn't show. For me, as a former racer, a former GP winner, and as a fan, it was disappointing to know America didn't have every star on hand. Mike Alessi, Ryan Hughes, Zach Osborne, and the other guys that showed for America did an awesome job representing our country - I wish the rest of them were there too.

Congratulations to Tony Cairoli for winning the US Motocross GP in MX1, and congratulations to Marvin Musquin in dominating both motos and winning in MX2. Great race, great event, great presentation, and looking forward to the Motocross of Nations near Denver in late September.
RJ

too bad danny was gone by then , i am sure they did a tribute to magoo and moates etc. anyways.
chrisbuehler
6/4/2010 8:49am
SL91 wrote:
First of all, good on Kyle Chisholm for manning up and racing the GP. How showed some competitive spirit that many of his national competitors lacked...

burnside wrote:
Like Tommy Searle said, guys probably didn't want to risk being beaten buy guys they'd never even heard of. Real bummer Searle was bust up though...
Like Tommy Searle said, guys probably didn't want to risk being beaten buy guys they'd never even heard of. Real bummer Searle was bust up though, would have spiced up the 250f class.

And yeah, BIG PROPS to all of the USA/AMA riders that raced! Can only be a good thing for all of them. I know Alessi didn't win, but expect he'll feel stronger for it going into Rd2.. And obviously BT must be buzzing!
I think Searle would have won actually. RJ is the MAN! Old school RJ would have shown up and kicked Euro ass. My first hero in moto by far but by the time I got into it he had already hurt his wrist.
jamma10
6/4/2010 8:56am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2010 8:56am
SL91 wrote:

burnside wrote:
Like Tommy Searle said, guys probably didn't want to risk being beaten buy guys they'd never even heard of. Real bummer Searle was bust up though...

I think Searle would have won actually. RJ is the MAN! Old school RJ would have shown up and kicked Euro ass. My first hero in...
I think Searle would have won actually. RJ is the MAN! Old school RJ would have shown up and kicked Euro ass. My first hero in moto by far but by the time I got into it he had already hurt his wrist.
Just like he did in 1990 huh... oh wait... Wink
safaridari
6/4/2010 8:56am

]
right on RJ.....it's a shame they didn't ride. I loved the GP's. in the old days, wish there had been a better turnout. David said everything was first class and the track was awesome. Ma Bailey
line-up
6/4/2010 9:10am
Dropbear wrote:

Outsider wrote:
Times have changed.

I think that's exactly what RJ wanted to say: times have changed for the worse
chrisbuehler
6/4/2010 9:27am
burnside wrote:

I think Searle would have won actually. RJ is the MAN! Old school RJ would have shown up and kicked Euro ass. My first hero in...
jamma10 wrote:
Just like he did in 1990 huh... oh wait...
Just like he did in 1990 huh... oh wait... Wink
I dont remember I was 13yrs then. HAHA! I do remember Stanton stomping the hell out of everyone on a 125 at 'Dilla when he basically never raced one ever.Wink
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
6/4/2010 9:46am
TFS wrote:
Great summary.

Good for RJ.

Fortunately people like RJ are not intimidated by what is "PC" or not, and went out to support the USGP.
Wait, I don't get it...RJ calls everyone out and is a hero because he's not "PC", but in your other thread, you suggest that we don't really need the top U.S. guys to make the event a success...which is it?

And Geoff...behave.
mxtryon231
6/4/2010 9:53am
safaridari wrote:
] right on RJ.....it's a shame they didn't ride. I loved the GP's. in the old days, wish there had been a better turnout. David said...

]
right on RJ.....it's a shame they didn't ride. I loved the GP's. in the old days, wish there had been a better turnout. David said everything was first class and the track was awesome. Ma Bailey
Hey Momma Bailey Smile
TFS
6/4/2010 9:57am
TFS wrote:
Great summary.

Good for RJ.

GuyB wrote:
Wait, I don't get it...RJ calls everyone out and is a hero because he's not "PC", but in your other thread, you suggest that we don't...
Wait, I don't get it...RJ calls everyone out and is a hero because he's not "PC", but in your other thread, you suggest that we don't really need the top U.S. guys to make the event a success...which is it?

And Geoff...behave.
RJ was speaking about the event and presentation too.

The thread about the US participation was more of a question..

Was good to see ya last weekend.

Smile

Post a reply to: Ricky Johnson on the USGP

The Latest