Retirement Tyla Rattray

DeStouwer
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 4:53am
Rattray will quit his professional motocross career after the GP of USA in September. He said this in an interview on ontrackoffroad.
|
Spydee
6/24/2015 1:07am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 1:09am

Former World Champion and AMA 250MX race winner Tyla Rattray will close a 15 year professional career at the end of the current 2015 FIM MXGP Motocross World Championship.

The South African, who sat out last weekend’s Grand Prix of Germany at Teutschenthal with a back complaint, spoke about his decision publicly for the first time at the 10th round of the series.

“I’ve had a great career and I’m happy with what I have done but I’ve decided the end of this year will be enough,” said the Monster Energy Kawasaki Racing Team rider. “I’ve been doing this for a long time. Just the thought of going into the next off-season and doing that amount of work and preparation, I think I am mentally not ready for that. When a time like that comes then I guess it is the moment to hang it up.”

The 30 year old came back to MXGP from the U.S. for the 2014 term but suffered a concussion as well as a broken finger and damaged thumb ligaments. He mutually parted company with the Red Bull IceOne Husqvarna Racing Team before the end of the season and then linked up with Ryan Villopoto at KRT.

A best result of sixth in the first moto in Holland was the highest classification so far as Rattray and Villopoto looked to resolve set-up issues in the opening races.

“You have to stop one day and I don't want to hold onto that piece of rope and keep getting dragged along. The guys here are fast,” he said. “If I have a good race and I feel good I could probably get a third place…but then I’ve been used to racing for first. There are young guys coming up with more intensity and are taking more risks than I would. It is something that is always in the back of your mind. I basically don't have the balls like those guys anymore!”

Rattray, a married father of two, admits that the chance to be team-mate to Villopoto delayed plans he had been considering at the end of 2014. “With Ryan coming over last year it was motivating for me to go another season. It was already getting hard at the end of 2014 but with Ryan signing I thought I’d have someone to try, push and improve with what was the fastest guy in the world on a motorcycle. I can see where I am speed-wise with him.

“Ryan getting hurt was part of the sport and it could have been me in that situation. Working with Ryan always kept me pushing forward in the motos and in the training. There was always a goal. The thought of signing another contract and going into the off-season doing all that work by myself was tough mentally. I know that in this sport if you don't put in a solid off-season then you are going to get spanked when it comes to the first round. I want to finish this year strong and try and get into the top five; a podium would be awesome and we’ll try for that.”

Rattray says that he is not clear on future plans just yet but expects to stay involved with the sport in some capacity. “Will I miss it? 100 per cent. It is all I have ever known since I was five years old,” he commented. “It will definitely feel different watching but I am looking forward to it. The World Championship and the AMA are very different and I’ve seen and lived those differences. I have a lot of experience about how racing works and how it feels. There is no rush to jump onto something now. My main goal is to focus on this series now because we still have eight races to go.”

http://www.dirtbikerider.com/news/motocross-news-s1/Tyla-Rattray-to-retire-at-end-of-2015-MXGP-season-i10099
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
6/24/2015 1:18am
Good on him. No point labouring on like he has been the last two seasons. Best of luck to his future endeavours.

Despite not winning the title, 2011 was his best year IMO

wsc96
Fantasy
451st
6/24/2015 3:08am
Good interview. Bummer to see him leave but sounds like it's on his terms.

The Shop

Crush
6/24/2015 3:10am
Didn't realise he was 30! He won a world title in an very competitive year and also lead quite a few series in the US, great career!
6/24/2015 3:36am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Good on him. No point labouring on like he has been the last two seasons. Best of luck to his future endeavours. Despite not winning the...
Good on him. No point labouring on like he has been the last two seasons. Best of luck to his future endeavours.

Despite not winning the title, 2011 was his best year IMO

Wow fair play Tyla ! Enjoy the remainder of the races, it's been a pleasure and it's a bugger the last two years haven't served well. I love his honesty, we all know it about the young guns, I encounter it all the time as I'm sure the rest of you who race do, kids are effing mental.

And yeah derpin, that season was wild, for all of the PC team, great racing all season and so enjoyable to see those animals mash it out.
6/24/2015 3:37am
Outsider wrote:
I blame RV.
Well here is where the rumours really pick up pace regarding the return of Ryan. Does this announcement play into a bigger picture?

Who's going to be replacing Tyla? Hope Simpson gets it. Silly season can start now.
PastranaWho
6/24/2015 3:49am
Hate to see tyla go but now im leaning towards RV retiring than returning in 16. KRT needs to go after guillod hottest prospect right now. Guillod over simpson any day.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
6/24/2015 3:58am
Outsider wrote:
I blame RV.
Well here is where the rumours really pick up pace regarding the return of Ryan. Does this announcement play into a bigger picture? Who's going to...
Well here is where the rumours really pick up pace regarding the return of Ryan. Does this announcement play into a bigger picture?

Who's going to be replacing Tyla? Hope Simpson gets it. Silly season can start now.
I would say this heavily suggests RV is done. Tyla said he didn't want to go into next season alone in terms of training and prep work......
ATKpilot99
6/24/2015 4:01am
Helluva career . Wishing him the best in whatever he does next.
6/24/2015 4:55am
Hate to see tyla go but now im leaning towards RV retiring than returning in 16. KRT needs to go after guillod hottest prospect right now...
Hate to see tyla go but now im leaning towards RV retiring than returning in 16. KRT needs to go after guillod hottest prospect right now. Guillod over simpson any day.
Dude guillod is blue thru and thru for 3 years. He's confirmed on the 450 next season.
jamma10
6/24/2015 5:04am
Rattray is as tough as nails. He's had a good, but equally a pretty frustrating career. I don't blame him for coming to this decision. He should go into training & mentoring guys like Swanie.
M-M
6/24/2015 5:33am
Shame we didn't see him in mx1 gps when he was at his best.
Sandberm
6/24/2015 6:03am
VERY respectable career, always acted like a professional. Cant ask for more really.

He never seemed to recover from the concussion he got in the US a few years back.
h&m_cycle
6/24/2015 6:17am
WoW, why so brutally honest? Why not leave your employer & fans in the dark?
Good for him, hope he has enough money saved so he can do what he wants for the rest of his life.
mccread
6/24/2015 7:07am
Outsider wrote:
I blame RV.
Well here is where the rumours really pick up pace regarding the return of Ryan. Does this announcement play into a bigger picture? Who's going to...

Tixier and Desalle is the word for KRT. Simpson deserves a factory ride though somewhere.
6/24/2015 7:44am
Congrats to Tyla on a great career - he found plenty of success on both sides of the pond. I think he'll probably be best associated with being a tough as nails competitor who has always put the work in.
Sidecar
6/24/2015 7:51am
mccread wrote:
Tixier and Desalle is the word for KRT. Simpson deserves a factory ride though somewhere.
If Dessalle goes green is there a spot for Simmo on the factory RMZ? What's happening with Strijbos? Will there be two spaces at Suzuki? Also what about big Ken and Tommy at KTM? Any room for Simmo there?
Might he be better where he is, bike is clearly fast enough?
jeffro503
6/24/2015 8:54am
Have a great after moto life Tyla , you deserve it! Thanks for giving all us fans another great rider to watch out there. Class act.
robkinuk
6/24/2015 8:55am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 8:58am

Commission by KTM to celebrate Tylers 2008 MX2 World Title.

One of my proudest moments was being commissioned by Pit Bierer to paint Tyla Rattray and being invited to a special party in the KTM Red Bull hospitality unit at the 2008 MXDN at Donnington Park England, to present it to Tyla in-front of the press, flanked by Pit and legend's Stefan Everts and Heinz Kinigadner.
Big thanks to Ray Archer for allowing me to use his great photo to base painting on.

mccread
6/24/2015 10:08am
mccread wrote:
Sidecar wrote:
If Dessalle goes green is there a spot for Simmo on the factory RMZ? What's happening with Strijbos? Will there be two spaces at Suzuki? Also...
If Dessalle goes green is there a spot for Simmo on the factory RMZ? What's happening with Strijbos? Will there be two spaces at Suzuki? Also what about big Ken and Tommy at KTM? Any room for Simmo there?
Might he be better where he is, bike is clearly fast enough?
Strijbos staying at Suzuki with Van Horebeek possibly as his teammate, Guillod will probably stay with Standing construct so Simpson may have a shot at being Febvre teammate or with Husky.

Ken may retire, hopefully not though, but yet another injury last weekend might be enough for him. I hope Tommy gets another shot at KTM, he was fast but has had no luck. Yeah he works well with his dad, I wonder if KTM may even offer him some more support but stay in the same team a bit like Guillod.
philG
6/24/2015 10:31am
I predict a 3 rider team for KRT, having had to go to races for nothing at points during the year, but i expect Desalle to use the KRT offer to up his worth at Geboers.. Tixier , Simpson and who ever else they can muster ( maybe Boog) , to at least get them back in the game.

SKlein
9/20/2015 11:07pm
Congrats to him on his career, best wishes for his future plans.
Question
9/21/2015 1:39am Edited Date/Time 9/21/2015 1:41am
For sure he deserves a good retirement. He has been a pillar in MX for more than 10 years !

I would not be surprised if he stays in the sport, he looks super serious, could be a great trainer after being one of the fittest guys, including a training period with Baker & Villopoto, and he has a lot of technical knowledge from his years in team KTM factory, Pro Circuit, Husqvarna factory and Kawasaki factory. A solid guy !

For instance, to start it would be cool if he could develop next South African riders, to help them to come to the GP then the US.
davistld01
9/21/2015 4:53am
Gotta appreciate the honesty. Who can blame Tyla for stepping away on his own terms? He says he doesn't have the balls of the younger guys, but he had the balls to step out of his MXGP comfort zone & come to the States to race full time. He did what many will never do, be successful on both continents.

Post a reply to: Retirement Tyla Rattray

The Latest