Rethink the four stroke, the future?

DrSweden
Edited Date/Time 10/19/2013 11:44am
Prepare for headache/rant.

I'm one of those two-stroke Taliban supporters, so you know my bias, but I'm kind of open to logic if it doesn't butthurt my emotions too much. I read the ads in my neck of the wood regularly (Sweden), and what goes here doesn't necessarily translates anywhere else, we prefer cheaper smaller calls in Sweden, the more MPG the better, you hardly see those Heavy Dute pick-ups here, the few excising carry an embarrassment over them. Dunno if that has anything to do with it, but just bare that in mind.

Anyhow, looking at used bikes, like the YZ250 from 2005+ they are crazy expensive, while you can buy any four stroke Yamaha from the same year for way less, sometimes even half the money. So if you were to buy blue, if resale has any point it's madness to buy one with valves, but at the same time a KTM from the same years (smokers) are way cheaper. But a 2011 YZ and a 2011 KTM is kind of equal. Something happens with KTM when they grow older. Like the Yamaha, It's the same thing with an CR250, any 2007 left will kill any KTM from the same year in value. It's not a huge difference, but people dig old CRs still. Old CRFs are spitted at, you can buy a good running (it appears so) for less than 2k, and they cost 10 k new.

So the first BS though I have, is YZ benefitting by not changing design? I wouldn't touch a 2006 KTM SX250 with a ten feet pole, while I drool over a 2006 YZ250, but I kind of drool equally about the 2011 KTM and a newer YZ? If Yamaha had made a new version of the YZ, the 2006 might have been like the KTM? Since I see an steel frame 2004 YZ with the same KTM SX250 yawn.

Then the second though that I can't get out of my mind, I see you can buy 2010 250Fs for less than an RM250/YZ250 from 2005, and I can't fathom those buying a new 250F 2013 that cost about 10k here, only to know, he/she will loose about 6k in about 3-4 years, while being in the saddle for about 100 hours maximum (if you are a regular rider here with the winter etc).

I'm damn temped to buy one 250Fs from from 2010 or something that has evolved amazingly compared for an CR250 from 2004, or even an more expensive YZ250, but then I have that solid rooted fear that 250F that is an amazing bike on the track (that's a fact) could grenade any moment, which they rarely do, but "everybody" has the notion they will, because we all know of someone that was affected.

I figure it's stupid, we can buy amazing machines for pocket money, even two, maybe we can overcome the fear, but still the re-sale market is telling another story. People see used four strokes that has more than 60 hours like some hooker with HIV (Peelout will argue the hooker angle).

Also I don't get the market either, none of the smokers seems to go to the wreck yard, at least not the 2002+ u see totally restored 2002 smokers, so the new sales on smokers can't be that dandy either? I bough a clapped out 2006, made it "new" with pocket money, so I have no urge to buy a 2014 YZ125 and add 5k when that buys me a life time of pistons, bearings and spare parts. We don't have new smokers for 5k here...

I don't know if things are like they used to be, but the resale of bangers are mad, and people seems to be keen in reviving old smokers, while the few people taking racing seriously seems to be the only people feeding the market with newer used bikes?

I don't know bike sales in Sweden, maybe people are buying more bikes than ever, I doubt that, none has suggest that, but my way of thinking, how resale value decreased linear previously with smokers are now totally tilted with bangers? Again, my analyze, might not translate everywhere, but smokers are totally over prized. I will sell my YZ for more than I bought it, and I didn't put much cash into it. Any CRF I buy, if it's new it will cut me back 2 k every year, and if it's used about 1k sans valve job.

The sum of the above crap is that I think the OEM has missed an essential point. I'm not only as a rider I buy, I'm hobby mechanic as well. The whole point with motors and racing is also to wrench, the entry of four strokes killed that part. The previous glory in buying a bike, restore it, or buy a new, and restore it, show the creation and then race it was for many the essence. Not all agree, but how many people here rides, hasn't felt at least some appeal to do a top end job. Now, the fear of the complexity kills that. Some are ven hocked up with an PC on the track to change the engine maps, and sending the head away has no guarantee to be a success. If we get another season with the valves in spec, we are lucky. At least thats the feeling, our faith are in the hands of some guy (sorry, but most likely with ADHD) that we don't know, the only certainly is that it will cost us tons of money

I can buy any smoker in the world, without any knowledge, just using a Hanes manual I can restore it in a few weeks, with the four stroke I will only be able to do part of the job, and the major cost will added elsewhere, I have no clue if the bearings in valve train is crap, if the valve train is ok or the rest of the moving bits there work properly. Timing chain ok? When do timing chain sprockets go? That plastic thing pushing on chain, and the spring, they working? This leads to me not wanting to start a project despite the outcome with restoring a 2010 KX250F will be fun on the track. Screw that, I don't get them, I will newer feel the satisfaction of a restore other than forks, wheel bearings. Others just go for graphics and a new exhaust. Put in new bearing in the hubs? Whatever, I don't even know if the engine is ok.

So to bring back that, I would like to see a four stroke engine that would open up for mini dads and hobby mechanics to wrench on, and by that I mean do it all!!!

I don't know if this has anything to do with decline in sales, I don't know if there's decline in sales, but when I watch an ad of a bike I would love to ride, I stop looking if it's an four stroke with more than 20 hours, or if it's an two stroke with old design.

Yesterday ads:
CRF450 2002-2005 1-2k
CR250 2002-2004 3-4k

Flame on!
|
DrSweden
10/14/2013 3:40pm
Other sad thing, I meet a few people who came over the may fears, (which many have when they start in the sport with a small budget) loosing interest when the "cheap" four stroke they bough added too much cost for them to continue. They are not motivated, or can afford to buy a 10k bike just to make sure it will not break. We can all deal with a new piston, but when they have put in 10 hours into reading and figuring out re-shimming, there's not much left in their mental budget when they discover the bike needs a head job. I tell EVERYBODY new to this sport, buy a smoker, the surprises that will come will could be handled without ulcers.

Personally, I can add a banger, but that goes with 10 years of knowledge, but again I hesitate.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
10/14/2013 3:46pm
seen what CR500 and KX500's go for, yet the few years of production you could not sell them, and most shops did not stock them, (the last year when it was known they were the last ever a few more were sold) when you can't get new ones, the price of old ones go up, supply and demand,

The Shop

DrSweden
10/14/2013 3:50pm
dantheman wrote:
to long : didn't read Wink
I know, but it's free. See it as a poor written magazine article. I should have added some pics! Smile
dantheman
10/14/2013 3:53pm
DrSweden wrote:
I know, but it's free. See it as a poor written magazine article. I should have added some pics! Smile
Didn't know if for "realsies" if you knew what tl:dr meant, I was explaining it not stating it.
10/14/2013 3:53pm
DrSweden wrote:
Other sad thing, I meet a few people who came over the may fears, (which many have when they start in the sport with a small...
Other sad thing, I meet a few people who came over the may fears, (which many have when they start in the sport with a small budget) loosing interest when the "cheap" four stroke they bough added too much cost for them to continue. They are not motivated, or can afford to buy a 10k bike just to make sure it will not break. We can all deal with a new piston, but when they have put in 10 hours into reading and figuring out re-shimming, there's not much left in their mental budget when they discover the bike needs a head job. I tell EVERYBODY new to this sport, buy a smoker, the surprises that will come will could be handled without ulcers.

Personally, I can add a banger, but that goes with 10 years of knowledge, but again I hesitate.
IMO, the best 2 stroke for motocross from 06-2010/11 is the YZ, whether it be a 250 or 125.

From 2011+, i'd pick a KTM over a Yamaha, unless I got a killer deal on the Yamaha.

On the other hand, Yamaha's 250F was old and antiquated, which would make it less desirable when it is re sold. Plus, I think anyone with some common sense see's a ragged out looking four stroke for sale they go running, since maintenance plays such a vital role in any bikes longevity.
DrSweden
10/14/2013 3:54pm
To sum it, four strokes are to complex to work on, doesn't matter if we get 100 hours out of them, it has killed resales, and as a consequence affects sales. Logic says there's a correlation.
resetjet
10/14/2013 4:17pm
Almost every rider I know is/was brand loyal to a Jap bike including myself. They stopped making 2T AND bikes that can be plated and are raceable. So slowly KTM came in and took over that market. Now, I am brand loyal to KTM and will buy nothing else. I own 3 currently. KTM is hoping and praying that the Jap factories don't wake up while the rest of us are converted. Not so true in MX, but go to any harescramble or enduro and you will see a sea of orange. You are now seeing alot in MX as well. Especially as the new generation of riders that rode a KTM 65 or whatever as a kid and raced with their dad at the local harescramble. Older ktm's were inferior to their Jap counterparts until about 2010. Now it is the other way around for most models, and especially 2T.

4T is way easier to ride no doubt. Controllable power to the ground. Especially MX. It is not however the whole picture as the jap factories have apparently concluded.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
10/14/2013 4:23pm
In other news..MEC is this coming weekend! Thank god we can move on from this..
mx_563
10/14/2013 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2013 5:02pm
I read most of it, not all of it.

a) How's the sales tax (VAT, whatever) in Sweden? How about fuel taxes? These two factors no doubt have a lot to do with the buying trends in Sweden. I'm sure you know this. You can buy a new motorcycle in the USA and not pay any tax (not everywhere but it's possible).

b) I want to delicately remind you that one of the biggest dirt bike markets in the world is also sometimes the least rational one. I would advise against drawing any major conclusions from your immediate (and logical) surroundings (Sweden).

c) The "YZ" may benefit from not changing much over the years, but Yamaha does not "benefit". They benefit by reducing their costs, sure. But they aren't selling more 2014 YZ250s because of it. New bike sales are the only thing that can help the two stroke (we can argue about how best to improve these sales numbers but ultimately it's all about the new bike market). Again, I'm sure you know this.

d) One more thing I would like to bring up is the general movement (worldwide) away from repairable things, toward replaceable things. Whether it's a sewing machine, a power tool, a car, or just about anything else, it has become much more difficult to repair things. The build quality of assemblies has gone down too IMO (often but not always due to cheap labor in the third world). This is not something that is limited to the off-road motorcycle business. It is a worldwide trend and it is unlikely to change.

Sorry man. You can do your part by buying a new KTM or Husqvarna 2-stroke.
10/14/2013 5:36pm
Brad460 wrote:
In other news..MEC is this coming weekend! Thank god we can move on from this..
No, because there is still lots of bitching left about the lack of Fox Sports 2 from pretty much everybody on cable TV.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
10/14/2013 5:50pm
Good pints DrS. I think all of us are in the same boat when it comes to working on them. The OEMs need to come out with a 4-stroke that is cheaper to run, easier to work on, and less expensive to buy. Heck, now we're talking about 2-strokes again.
DrSweden
10/15/2013 7:08am
mx_563 wrote:
I read most of it, not all of it. a) How's the sales tax (VAT, whatever) in Sweden? How about fuel taxes? These two factors no...
I read most of it, not all of it.

a) How's the sales tax (VAT, whatever) in Sweden? How about fuel taxes? These two factors no doubt have a lot to do with the buying trends in Sweden. I'm sure you know this. You can buy a new motorcycle in the USA and not pay any tax (not everywhere but it's possible).

b) I want to delicately remind you that one of the biggest dirt bike markets in the world is also sometimes the least rational one. I would advise against drawing any major conclusions from your immediate (and logical) surroundings (Sweden).

c) The "YZ" may benefit from not changing much over the years, but Yamaha does not "benefit". They benefit by reducing their costs, sure. But they aren't selling more 2014 YZ250s because of it. New bike sales are the only thing that can help the two stroke (we can argue about how best to improve these sales numbers but ultimately it's all about the new bike market). Again, I'm sure you know this.

d) One more thing I would like to bring up is the general movement (worldwide) away from repairable things, toward replaceable things. Whether it's a sewing machine, a power tool, a car, or just about anything else, it has become much more difficult to repair things. The build quality of assemblies has gone down too IMO (often but not always due to cheap labor in the third world). This is not something that is limited to the off-road motorcycle business. It is a worldwide trend and it is unlikely to change.

Sorry man. You can do your part by buying a new KTM or Husqvarna 2-stroke.
Sweden is such a small market, but still needs an importer for each brand, and many distributors, dunno about the figures, but I guess they sell about 500 new CRF450 a year? But that's a guess. It means each bike needs 30-50% margins to make sense to import and sell with profit, if u sell 5000 of thease, using the same infrastructure u could decrease profit on each bike but still increase the total profit, in the US Even a Volvo or a spare part is cheaper than in Sweden.

I figure Yamaha would increase sales on the yz250/yz125 if they made a new version, but obviously not enough it seems, or they would already be in that process. I don't get how it works, why KTM does it, build new versions all the time and get away with it though? It's all pretty simple business 101. Don't get why Yamaha still spits them out, while Honda ended? The business angle is impossible to get, no figures are there to absorb. Would be easy to compare KTM, Yamaha and Honda figures, see if actually KTM has benefitted by the void or not or if they spit out new smokers is some kind of goodwill and the bulk are the exc, sxfs.

Next new bike I buy (if ever) will be interesting, but no way on earth will it be the latest model int the local shop. People here buy containers from the US with left overs for 2k less. I can't justify buying a scooter for the same price as a decent family car. But I want to support KTM if I do, because they feel my needs since I want to be able to repair it myself.

I actually looking forward to electic bikes, simply solution, even less work, cheaper construction and hopefully more riding. Maybe those will make a rebirth of the sport?
JB 19
10/15/2013 8:30am
I think one day two strokes may be back to replace four strokes.......and they will have fuel injection, weigh ten pounds more then they do now, and cost 8,000$.

Sorry for the bad news.
Harry_Gray
10/15/2013 8:38am
In regards to the original intent of the post; they're here and we're going to have to deal w/ them. But another person posted an interesting point: Buy the KTM's or the Husky two strokes or the two stroke YZ's if you're inclined to do so. We can sit here and talk about things but if you aren't happy w/ the four strokes, don't buy them. Simple as that. They're are still a lot of two strokes out there that are available to the general public. Yes, you won't see the Two-Strokes in the SX/MX series (with the exception of a few die-hard supporters campaigning them) but at the local/regional level, ride/race them to you're hearts' content. Unless you're trying to get a LL/Amateur title or getting a factory ride w/ one of the Big Five, buy what you want, race/ride what you want.
gotwings
10/15/2013 8:40am
I'm building a time machine made out of a Cannondale right now with help from doc and my dad, who's a TV repairman and has the ultimate set of tools.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
10/15/2013 11:12am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2013 11:13am
This shit is just getting old. Its the same thing over and over and over everywhere you go, people taking sides saying their side is better because of yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah. If you happen to not live in a shit hole and work for your purchases, then ride what you want to ride and stop ranting, babbling and just throwing up all over the internet about it. I mean SHIT! Sound like a bunch of nerds going back in forth about xbox vs playstations, android vs iphone, ford vs chevy, on and on and on. You are that fucking person that screams loudly over unimportant things, you know that?? Of course you don't.

Motocross has always been motocross, wether you are on a 50 to a 500 whatever stroke it is.

I bought a 1936 south bend lathe 3 weeks ago because its a good machine, I use it, I appreciate it. I don't get on forums geared toward machining and scream how HAAS CNN is not the way to go and these manufactures are ruining the industry. Some of you jack asses should do the same and enjoy the sport how ever way you can.
mxb2
10/15/2013 11:24am
Markee wrote:
This shit is just getting old. Its the same thing over and over and over everywhere you go, people taking sides saying their side is better...
This shit is just getting old. Its the same thing over and over and over everywhere you go, people taking sides saying their side is better because of yeah yeah yeah, blah blah blah. If you happen to not live in a shit hole and work for your purchases, then ride what you want to ride and stop ranting, babbling and just throwing up all over the internet about it. I mean SHIT! Sound like a bunch of nerds going back in forth about xbox vs playstations, android vs iphone, ford vs chevy, on and on and on. You are that fucking person that screams loudly over unimportant things, you know that?? Of course you don't.

Motocross has always been motocross, wether you are on a 50 to a 500 whatever stroke it is.

I bought a 1936 south bend lathe 3 weeks ago because its a good machine, I use it, I appreciate it. I don't get on forums geared toward machining and scream how HAAS CNN is not the way to go and these manufactures are ruining the industry. Some of you jack asses should do the same and enjoy the sport how ever way you can.
X2, same old posts by the same old people complaining and doing nothing about it. And most of them buy used 2 strokes and not new bikes and wonder why the other factories do not sell them. Anymore. Trust me if there was a 2 stroke market, kawy, suzuki, honda would be in. The excuse of I do not have any bike choices is old and lame.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
10/15/2013 11:41am
Markee wrote:
This shit is just getting old. Its the same thing over and over and over everywhere you go, people taking sides saying their side is better...

This is quality hate. GrapeApe approved.
DrSweden
10/15/2013 2:20pm
Markee wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
X2, same old posts by the same old people complaining and doing nothing about it. And most of them buy used 2 strokes and not new...
X2, same old posts by the same old people complaining and doing nothing about it. And most of them buy used 2 strokes and not new bikes and wonder why the other factories do not sell them. Anymore. Trust me if there was a 2 stroke market, kawy, suzuki, honda would be in. The excuse of I do not have any bike choices is old and lame.
To bad you see it that way, I'm open to new inventions, and felt the importance to discuss the future of bikes, dunno what's more important to discuss on a dumb fuck forum for those interested in motorcycles that run in circles over fabricated obstacles by people in clown suits? J-Law coming back? Dungey having a bad day? There's always some amount of reason and sense in everything, and maybe this thread is another retard expose, but to sit on high horses and claim to be the sane one kind of went away the moment you signed up...

Not saying you are wrong though...
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
10/15/2013 7:53pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2013 7:59pm
I think DrS was just expressing some frustrations and observations of his own that he was going through. I think it's very relatable.
CR250Rider
10/15/2013 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2013 8:23pm
"The sum of the above crap is that I think the OEM has missed an essential point. I'm not only as a rider I buy, I'm hobby mechanic as well. The whole point with motors and racing is also to wrench, the entry of four strokes killed that part. The previous glory in buying a bike, restore it, or buy a new, and restore it, show the creation and then race it was for many the essence. Not all agree, but how many people here rides, hasn't felt at least some appeal to do a top end job. Now, the fear of the complexity kills that. Some are ven hocked up with an PC on the track to change the engine maps, and sending the head away has no guarantee to be a success. If we get another season with the valves in spec, we are lucky. At least thats the feeling, our faith are in the hands of some guy (sorry, but most likely with ADHD) that we don't know, the only certainly is that it will cost us tons of money"

Thats a good point I haven't seen in words. Buying new tools for thumpers andkeeping up with the peculiarities of each new model year takes a toll. It's quite an investment.... Hobby mechanic defines me
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
10/15/2013 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/15/2013 8:25pm
Keep in mind that GrapeApe and mxb2 obviously have plenty of money to throw at bikes.

Post a reply to: Rethink the four stroke, the future?

The Latest