Remember when?

Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 11:35am
Ok we all love Motocross. What was it? When? Do you remember?
A crowded theater on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena 1972. I was a huge Evil Kinevel fan, my mom and I heard a radio ad for free tickets to a movie being shown about Motorcycles. “On Any Sunday.” All we had to do was go down to the Motorcycle shop and get them. I had seen the advertisement someplace. Maybe the TV, I remember pulling the Paaaaalllllleeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeee can we go? Please Mom, Please Mom? I believe she replied with, alright your father can take you. For some reason I remember standing in line. All these cool dudes with Crochet Coors and Budweiser hats, painter hats bell bottoms and motorcycle brand tees. Everyone was wearing flip flops. Even I was. I felt cool as them. I wasn’t anything more then 6, but they weren’t my older brother or sisters. That made them cooler. We made our way into the theater, it was a circus atmosphere of teens being unruly and loud. Man this was cool! I had my very own seat that again was really cool! I think my dad felt the vibe as well, I was stoked. My first outing with Pop. The theater went dark, I remember when the light came on it was some kids on BMX bikes. I could immediately identify with this film, I had a bike, and I loved to make noises and pop wheelies. Though I was probably the worst, it was fun! I don’t remember much after other then catching the bug. I had moto tee shirts hats and everything moto. It annoyed my mom to no end. Everything had a full rev and a gear shift noise as I ran down the hall or went to church. A few years later in 77 I remember watching the USGP on Wide World of Sports. (Remember the skier throwing it away on the beginning clip?) Anyway i was watching this race; Saddleback was the track, hot, dusty, and looking back at it today it looks like concrete pack. Each corner was rutted and muddy. I don't remember who I was watching to be honest with you. I could look it up but would I be right? One was yellow the other was red, the leader would fly into the rutted turn, slow down and it was about this time the follower would be rubbing tires with him. Then the leader would peel off on the straight. It went from 4 second lead to nothing. Back to four seconds and back to nothing. Oh the suspense was incredible! I watched the race and I remember my friend Duncan and grabbed our Stingrays and started imitating them in the dirt lot. I was hooked.

I remember asking my mom for a bike, she was an admitting nurse at USC General Hospital. I heard lectures on how dangerous dirt bikes, motorcycles were until and even after I just brought one home. Hodoka Dirt Squirt. I earned it; she wouldn’t take it away from me. I think she felt better it didn’t run. I remember the night I got it running. Boy was she pissed!

When was it for you? What moment? Do you remember?
|
JPT
10/27/2006 1:34am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
I remember exactly when I decided I wanted to race bikes. I saw Steve McQueen (yeah, I know it was Bud Ekins) jump that fence in The Great Escape. I thought right there and then "I want to do that". I became a big time Class C fan, then started hearing about Hallman kicking the homeboy's butts when Dye brought him over. Scrambles was the big thing in our area, but they started running a few MXes and I was hooked. First MX was in the "street class" with my DT-1. Taped up the headlight and flashed to 5th place.

As for On Any Sunday, I saw them filming at several races. When it came out me and a buddy drove 3 hours to the closest place they were showing it. Sat through it twice. Still set down an watch my copy every now and then.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/27/2006 2:26am
JPT wrote:
I remember exactly when I decided I wanted to race bikes. I saw Steve McQueen (yeah, I know it was Bud Ekins) jump that fence in...
I remember exactly when I decided I wanted to race bikes. I saw Steve McQueen (yeah, I know it was Bud Ekins) jump that fence in The Great Escape. I thought right there and then "I want to do that". I became a big time Class C fan, then started hearing about Hallman kicking the homeboy's butts when Dye brought him over. Scrambles was the big thing in our area, but they started running a few MXes and I was hooked. First MX was in the "street class" with my DT-1. Taped up the headlight and flashed to 5th place.

As for On Any Sunday, I saw them filming at several races. When it came out me and a buddy drove 3 hours to the closest place they were showing it. Sat through it twice. Still set down an watch my copy every now and then.
When I was 13, my mom and dad shipped my brother and I up via Greyhound up to our aunt's ranch in McMinville, Oregon.

I'd never been to a motorcycle race before, but Uncle Bob had a silver-tanked Yamaha MX in the barn, and on one of the weekends while we were there he took my brother and I to a race in Washougal. He even stopped on the side of the road on the way in, and picked off one of the cardboard signs which pointed the way to the race as a souvenir.

I was blown away by the full gates of Honda 125 Elsinores, and what seemed like an equal number of red-tanked Huskys (with chrome port). I was hooked from then on.

As for On Any Sunday, it made a tour of our area matched up on a double bill with a pre-action sport movie called Go For It. Back then, the theater owners didn't kick you out (not that there were a lot of people in there anyway), but I spent the entire day in there, and I think I watched each of those movies three or four times.
SEEMEFIRST
10/27/2006 10:04am
JPT wrote:
I remember exactly when I decided I wanted to race bikes. I saw Steve McQueen (yeah, I know it was Bud Ekins) jump that fence in...

GuyB wrote:
When I was 13, my mom and dad shipped my brother and I up via Greyhound up to our aunt's ranch in McMinville, Oregon. I'd never...
When I was 13, my mom and dad shipped my brother and I up via Greyhound up to our aunt's ranch in McMinville, Oregon.

I'd never been to a motorcycle race before, but Uncle Bob had a silver-tanked Yamaha MX in the barn, and on one of the weekends while we were there he took my brother and I to a race in Washougal. He even stopped on the side of the road on the way in, and picked off one of the cardboard signs which pointed the way to the race as a souvenir.

I was blown away by the full gates of Honda 125 Elsinores, and what seemed like an equal number of red-tanked Huskys (with chrome port). I was hooked from then on.

As for On Any Sunday, it made a tour of our area matched up on a double bill with a pre-action sport movie called Go For It. Back then, the theater owners didn't kick you out (not that there were a lot of people in there anyway), but I spent the entire day in there, and I think I watched each of those movies three or four times.
My best friend got an 80cc mini-enduro. That's it, I was hooked.
unfortuneatly the folks weren't nearly as exited as I was, so it would be a few years before I could save enough to get my own bike. It was a 2 year old Yamaha AT125, what a hunk of crap, but it was mine, and the old man had to deal with it. I was on my 4th or 5th bike before he ever saw me ride.
BIGDESTO
10/27/2006 11:03am
JPT wrote:

GuyB wrote:
When I was 13, my mom and dad shipped my brother and I up via Greyhound up to our aunt's ranch in McMinville, Oregon. I'd never...

SEEMEFIRST wrote:
My best friend got an 80cc mini-enduro. That's it, I was hooked. unfortuneatly the folks weren't nearly as exited as I was, so it would be...
My best friend got an 80cc mini-enduro. That's it, I was hooked.
unfortuneatly the folks weren't nearly as exited as I was, so it would be a few years before I could save enough to get my own bike. It was a 2 year old Yamaha AT125, what a hunk of crap, but it was mine, and the old man had to deal with it. I was on my 4th or 5th bike before he ever saw me ride.
I thank my friends family for taking me out with them riding to the dez when i was like 10. After that i mostly rode dez then wondered out to Indian Dunes track and i got hooked on racing! Every friday night and sunday throughout the late 70's into the 80's i was hook and pretty much the best times of my life!!

The Shop

MXiWordNerd
10/27/2006 6:52pm
My dad raced motocross in the '70s, and he had old pictures up, so I was always interested, then my uncle took me to my first supercross at Anaheim Stadium in 1986.

I was sold.

Two years later, I had my first bike (my mom needed some convincing).
mpy
10/29/2006 1:57pm
My dad raced motocross in the '70s, and he had old pictures up, so I was always interested, then my uncle took me to my first...
My dad raced motocross in the '70s, and he had old pictures up, so I was always interested, then my uncle took me to my first supercross at Anaheim Stadium in 1986.

I was sold.

My story is quite similar story to the Nerd's.

My dad used to race in the 60's (maybe top 20 in Finland) and he used to take me and my older brother to some MX races and I also started reading mx magazines, I even read MXA before I could understand any English.

Then when I turned 10 year old, me and my brother got our first bike that we shared. It probably didn't cost more than $50, but that didn't limit the fun factor at all! I'm just happy my dad was an excellent mechanic. He took up riding again at the same time as me and my brother started. And one of my best days on the MX track was when I finally was able to pass my dad! It took me a few years...

My late dad
JPT
10/29/2006 2:31pm
My dad raced motocross in the '70s, and he had old pictures up, so I was always interested, then my uncle took me to my first...

I was sold.

mpy wrote:
My story is quite similar story to the Nerd's. My dad used to race in the 60's (maybe top 20 in Finland) and he used to...

My dad used to race in the 60's (maybe top 20 in Finland) and he used to take me and my older brother to some MX races and I also started reading mx magazines, I even read MXA before I could understand any English.

Then when I turned 10 year old, me and my brother got our first bike that we shared. It probably didn't cost more than $50, but that didn't limit the fun factor at all! I'm just happy my dad was an excellent mechanic. He took up riding again at the same time as me and my brother started. And one of my best days on the MX track was when I finally was able to pass my dad! It took me a few years...

My late dad
mpy wrote:

My late dad

I really love that pic. Very cool post.
Pdub
11/8/2006 2:32pm
There was a Honda/Triumph dealership not far from my house that used to tolerate my group of little guys (10 to 12 years old), and one of the salesmen gave me the local District 7 race schedule. Somehow, I talked my father (bless his motocross-hating heart) into taking me to a nearby race. This was WELL before he bought my first bike.

Anyway, I was in non-stop awe from the moment we rolled in the gate. I had never seen so many “dirtbikes” in one place before, with all the riders strutting around in their exotic leather pants and stuff. My ears were filled with the sweet sounds of simplicity and my nose drank in that unforgettable aroma of racing two-strokes. I was hooked forever, and I had yet to swing a leg over a bike!
mumbles
Fantasy
667th
11/15/2006 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:53pm
I don't what the name of the track was, but it was either in 1969 or 70. It was not to far down the round from where Hangtown is now. We were just driving around and ran across a race. I didn't even know the track was there. I remember there was a very fast jump and I can still hear the fastest guys sailing in the air and shifting down a gear before they even hit the ground getting ready for the next corner. It was mostly CZ's and Husky's. After that day I couldn't get enough MX. I was into flattrack before that. Flatrack was boring to me after I saw that first MX race. I have lived, breathed, dreamed about MX ever since. I'm 50 now and still not very fast but I sure love this sport.

And speaking of "On Any Sunday", my Dad and I were at the Sacramento Mile that was featured in the movie. Then in 1979 I was at the Carlsbad GP when that race was featured in the movie "On Any Sunday Two". I think it's pretty remarkable that I lucked out and got to be at both those races.
BamBamm13
12/7/2006 1:25pm
mumbles wrote:
I don't what the name of the track was, but it was either in 1969 or 70. It was not to far down the round from...
I don't what the name of the track was, but it was either in 1969 or 70. It was not to far down the round from where Hangtown is now. We were just driving around and ran across a race. I didn't even know the track was there. I remember there was a very fast jump and I can still hear the fastest guys sailing in the air and shifting down a gear before they even hit the ground getting ready for the next corner. It was mostly CZ's and Husky's. After that day I couldn't get enough MX. I was into flattrack before that. Flatrack was boring to me after I saw that first MX race. I have lived, breathed, dreamed about MX ever since. I'm 50 now and still not very fast but I sure love this sport.

And speaking of "On Any Sunday", my Dad and I were at the Sacramento Mile that was featured in the movie. Then in 1979 I was at the Carlsbad GP when that race was featured in the movie "On Any Sunday Two". I think it's pretty remarkable that I lucked out and got to be at both those races.
I grew up around bikes. Heck, my Dad raced Barstow to Vegas when my Mom was prego with me. She says that I would kick everytime a bike would go by (she helped pit), says she knew she was in trouble right thenCheerful

My very first memory is my Dad riding my around on a 1973/74/75 Yamaha GT/MX 80 (it was a mix) while I was sitting on the tank. That is the only reason I even remember that house we lived in...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/7/2006 1:32pm
mumbles wrote:
I don't what the name of the track was, but it was either in 1969 or 70. It was not to far down the round from...

BamBamm13 wrote:
I grew up around bikes. Heck, my Dad raced Barstow to Vegas when my Mom was prego with me. She says that I would kick everytime...
I grew up around bikes. Heck, my Dad raced Barstow to Vegas when my Mom was prego with me. She says that I would kick everytime a bike would go by (she helped pit), says she knew she was in trouble right thenCheerful

My very first memory is my Dad riding my around on a 1973/74/75 Yamaha GT/MX 80 (it was a mix) while I was sitting on the tank. That is the only reason I even remember that house we lived in...
I grew up in Ponca City Ok about a mile from the track, it was so cool to be able to ride my 76 YZ 125X to and from then track every day and it was free to ride. On race day I would top off my tank put some tools in a back pack and ride to the track to race.
wreckitrandy
1/5/2007 12:22pm
I just submitted a long winded tale but must have timed out. Just as well. Short version, thanks to grandma, cousins Allen, David and Steve, and everyone else that has helped or, journeyed along with, me in this love affair. Where would I be without motorcycles?
braaap
Fantasy
2172nd
1/8/2007 6:56pm
I just submitted a long winded tale but must have timed out. Just as well. Short version, thanks to grandma, cousins Allen, David and Steve, and...
I just submitted a long winded tale but must have timed out. Just as well. Short version, thanks to grandma, cousins Allen, David and Steve, and everyone else that has helped or, journeyed along with, me in this love affair. Where would I be without motorcycles?
A guy down the street from me used to race flat track on a Bultaco. He'd come blasting down the street on the rear wheel and I'd drop everything to run and check him out. He was a god.

Shortly after, in my neighborhood of about 50 houses, there were at least 20 kids with bikes. No kiddin'. I finally got to join the bunch in January of '78 on a brand spankin' new YZ80. There was about 500 acres of land behind our neighborhood and we tore it up every weekend for a few years. We even had a few tracks to choose from. The owners were cool with us out there.

I can remember coming home from school one day and there were cows all over the neighborhood. I knew exactly where they came from. Some jackass had cut the fence and they got loose. Needless to say, the free ride was over! After that day if you went riding you'd better plan your escape route because the law was coming at you. We spent several hours hiding in the bushes!

Man, those were the days. The sad part of it now is that I've contributed to the decline of the free riding land as we knew it; my house is now built right about where my favorite track used to be!
KIWImxer
1/12/2007 10:14pm
I just submitted a long winded tale but must have timed out. Just as well. Short version, thanks to grandma, cousins Allen, David and Steve, and...
braaap wrote:
A guy down the street from me used to race flat track on a Bultaco. He'd come blasting down the street on the rear wheel and...
A guy down the street from me used to race flat track on a Bultaco. He'd come blasting down the street on the rear wheel and I'd drop everything to run and check him out. He was a god.

Shortly after, in my neighborhood of about 50 houses, there were at least 20 kids with bikes. No kiddin'. I finally got to join the bunch in January of '78 on a brand spankin' new YZ80. There was about 500 acres of land behind our neighborhood and we tore it up every weekend for a few years. We even had a few tracks to choose from. The owners were cool with us out there.

I can remember coming home from school one day and there were cows all over the neighborhood. I knew exactly where they came from. Some jackass had cut the fence and they got loose. Needless to say, the free ride was over! After that day if you went riding you'd better plan your escape route because the law was coming at you. We spent several hours hiding in the bushes!

Man, those were the days. The sad part of it now is that I've contributed to the decline of the free riding land as we knew it; my house is now built right about where my favorite track used to be!
We were into skateboarding, but our neighbour had a Suzuki TM125 and was getting an RM125N. It was late 1979. My brother and I rode the TM and dad got us a second hand RM80. Then we went to the supercross at Western Springs in Auckland (NZ)in 1980. Done deal - been racing since! Like most reading this, I've met some of the best, straight up, family oriented people you could ever wish to meet through this sport.
B DUB 333
9/9/2010 3:19pm
So I'm diggin / lurkin and I find this super old thread, I figured I'd resurrect it cuz its an awesome thread. Anyhoo, I remember my first bike well, it was an 84 YZ125 that I bought at a garage sale. The previous owner had chopped the frame apart and made it so it so you break it down easily to fit into his trunk! The thing was a major POS but it was MY POS and the first really big purchase I had ever made. I believe the price was 400 and it did track straight and had some nuts, just thinkin about it makes me smile. My friend and I would drive 2 hrs north from the twin cities to sturgeon lake and ride the sand pits behind the motel at the sw corner of the exit / entrance ramp. I still drive by there occasionally and never stop, next time I think I will and see if I can still ride there. Whuch u got?
huck
9/10/2010 5:55am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2010 5:57am
Sad that threads like this gets pushed back to the third page..with only a handful of posts.

HOF
DavidR
9/10/2010 7:54am
In 1982 my dad tried to build a pond on his property. The pond would never hold water so it just sat there dry in the middle of my dad's field for months. One day I heard the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard in my young life. I went to the field to check it out and what I saw still puts a smile on my face 28 years later. It was a young kid a couple years older than me screaming down our gravel road straight into our field thru the dry pond and launching his YZ 100 what seemed like miles. Over and over he'd ride to the top of the gravel road get that yz 100 up to full song and launch out of that pond in his blue jeans and red Scott plastic boots. I couldn't have been more mesmerized. Turned out this young guy lived just up the road from me and he'd just started riding. After a couple months of constantly badgering my parents, I managed to talk them in to getting me a bike for Christmas. I found a brand new Suzuki DR 80 that my parents agreed to get me for Christmas. A couple mornings before Christmas my mom came in to my bedroom to wake me up and give me the devastating news, someone had bought the DR 80. I was crushed and in tears. She then said that she'd found me a different bike at the Yamaha shop, something she called a YZ 80. She took me to the Yamaha shop and there it sat, a brand new 1983 YZ 80! I was in love. From there, I got a 1984 CR 125 and then a 1987 CR 125. I took 20 years off and bought a 2009 YZ 250 last year and have since spent the last 12 months trying to figure out why the hell I quit riding from 1989 to 2009 and why I didn't keep those 3 bikes. Man, I'd kill to have those bikes back.
pie8man
9/10/2010 8:00am
I got my first bike, a JR50 for my fourth birthday in July 1976. Before that my dad was racing desert races in the high desert in California. We frequented Bell mountain and Red mountain and Kennedy meadows for camping/racing trips. The deal was as soon as I could ride a 2 wheeled bicycle without the training wheels I would get a motorcycle. I rode an orange framed banana seat schwinn with wood blocks on the pedals so I could reach em at 3 years old. The rest is as we say it, history. I rode that 50 for years and years until I got an RM80 in 1983. By then dad was racing MX and I was at the track every weekend. We were living in Hesperia and even before I got the 80 my dad and his buddies would head out from the backyard down this wicked singletrack sand trail and ride into Honda valley and I would be in tow by myself on a 50 and meet them there. By the time I got there it never seemed long and it would be time to head back. Dad would always hang close on the ride back. I only raced a handful of times as a kid, dad and mom split when I was 12, I rode that 80 until I was 16 or so, heck I rode it to school so I could get home from soccer practice. A lot of great memories in the back of a silver Dodge van with 2 captain chairs in the front and a bench seat way in the back listening to Journey going to the races.
`ol Ger
9/10/2010 8:18am
I remember Bob Hurricane Hannah's notoriously poor starts and his subsequent mad-dashes through the pack in 1978. Them were the good old days.
plowboy
9/10/2010 8:25am
My best friend got one of those hardware store mini bikes. He let me ride it...about 5 minutes, 9 stitches, and a chipped tooth later...I was hooked. Junkies...we're all junkies.
YAKMX
9/10/2010 8:58am
We were an Air Force lifer family.We lived in Amarillo Texas for a couple of years in the 60's. We had a field we rode bicycles around on. I was 10 yrs. old. Some older guys showed up one day on BSA,s and Triumph,s. They raced around our bike track. I was so hooked at that time. Because we moved every 2 or 3 yrs. I was never allowed to have a dirtbike/minibike. But everywhere I went I always begged/borrowed anyone's I could to ride. Usually I had to fix them to do so. But the bug never left me. When I settled down in the backwoods of Western NY in 1973 I met all,sorts of riders/racers. 38 yrs later I have a garage full of bikes. Ride all the time. And live every weekend at a different motocross track as an race announcer. The sight and sound of those bikes I saw in Amarillo has never left me. What a cool addiction to have. What cool stories you all have. Old school moto/bike people have an unexplainable bond. Well unexplainable to anyone else but us!Cool
bt260
9/10/2010 9:23am
My affinity for motorcycles started sitting in my Grandfather's lap riding down the road on his huge, white Harley. It might honestly be my earliest memory as a child. It had two gas caps, one on each side of the tank that I'd hang on to. He always took me farther down the road than my sister. It was quite a long time before I had a bike of my own, the first being a Trail 70 that only ran for about 5 days out of the several years I had it. Then it was several more years before I worked enough money to buy my own bike. The moto addiction started when my cousin came to visit and left behind his issue of Dirt Bike, the one that had the coverage of the Unadilla des Nations in it. That was it, I was hooked on motocross from then on..
cyaxares
9/10/2010 9:24am
I got my first minibike when I was 5 and had ridden ever since. We lived out in the country and did not have cable, we barely received a standard TV signal. But, eventually the cable company ran lines by our house and we got cable. As soon as I saw motocross on TV I had to race. I didn't stop bugging my Dad until he took me to a local track and let me race. Years later he said that was the biggest mistake of his life. All his money went down the motocross drain until I turned 18, that is when I had to work on my own bikes and pay for my own racing.
dr516
9/10/2010 9:44am
On any Sunday I remember it like it was yesterday. My mom surprised me one summer with a trip to the drive in and told me what was playing. I was over the top excited because my parents were adamant that there would be no motorcycles in our family. As tiki mentioned the kids at the beginning of the movie riding their bikes that was my life at the time I lived one my bike but it was just cover up for how bad I wanted a motorcycle. I wanted a motorcycle since I was 5 when saw the neighbor kid blast his taco mini bike down the side walk. I was hooked at that moment thinking how cool that is. I worked hard mowing lawns paper wrought and saved enough money to buy a 1969 Yamaha 90 two flat tires and all. Good thing because I had no idea how to ride it.
Sparkey
9/10/2010 9:51am
Dave Jones (neighbor across the street) got a yz80 and we used to go watch him ride at Muntz in Simi Valley. After a few visits, my brother and I talked my dad into letting us rent xr75's for the day (this was early 70's) Bought my first bike at 13. It was a green yamha dual sport of some kind.
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
9/10/2010 10:39am
Back in 1970, a friend that my father work with invited us to a race at the old North Florida Speedway just south of Jacksonville. Yep, I was hooked to MX from that day on.

Post a reply to: Remember when?

The Latest