Rekluse question

Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 8:52pm
Hi there, looking at getting a 2011 crf 450 and installing a rekluse core exp clutch- would i be able to use this AND a magura hydraulic clutch?

anybody used either or both of these? what were they like to ride compared to standard?

thanks
|
Ride154
6/15/2011 6:11am
I've used a Rekluse and I won't own another bike without one.

I have zero input on the juice clutch though.
Shawn142
6/15/2011 6:16am
Certainly no mechanical reason you can't do it. What will the application be? As an MXer I've tried and found the rekluse kinda pointless. I've grown up steering mostly with clutch and power, so I still very much need my clutch. Trying not to use it just to see how the rekluse worked was more panic causing than anything. For woods or people not so set in their ways it's a good quality product that does exactly as it says.

The Magura setup I've tried didn't have a very positive feel. It kept the engagement point the same like it should, but the pull wasn't significantly less and there wasn't a definite point where it released. The best way I could describe it was mushy. I much prefer an easy-spin adjuster perch with the cable. But again it seemed like a nice setup that did what it was suppose to. Pull was slightly easier.
6/15/2011 6:22am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2011 6:26am
it'd be for outdoor motocross only, and surely the main benefit of a rekluse EXP is the fact that it doesnt stall, and that you can control the engine breaking more easily? (you can still use the clutch as normal if you want) and you can shut the throttle off more easily than with a normal 4 banger
ive grown up racing 2 strokes (for the last 18 years)- i was thinking that using a rekluse exp clutch would make the transition to 4 stroke easier?

one of the lads i race with tried a rekluse and hated it- said it was always going out of adjustment (which is one of the reasons i asked about the magura hydraulic clutches)- thats one of the benefits of a hydraulic clutch isnt it? (it will self adjsut)
- alot of local racers put heavier clutch springs in their crf 450s and use the magura hydraulic clutches aswell, as i understand it the clutches dont get enough oil to them in the honda 450s, which is one of the reasons im looking at a rekluse- even if i dont get on with it im left with a higher quality (than standard) clutch that should circulate more oil around (and can still be used as a normal clutch if i like)

The Shop

Shawn142
6/15/2011 7:37am
The same as you I grew up racing 2-strokes and still ride my CR250 on occasion. Honestly even swapping directly from one to the other in the same day the engine braking or lack-of between the 2 doesn't bother me at all. That being said if it is something you're worried about the Rekluse is certainly worth the money. The weakest part of the CRF450 outside of the stock shrouds is the clutch. Heavier springs are just a bandaid if you want decent life from the clutch. I went with a Hinson 6 spring myself.
6/15/2011 8:28am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2011 8:30am
Shawn142 wrote:
The same as you I grew up racing 2-strokes and still ride my CR250 on occasion. Honestly even swapping directly from one to the other in...
The same as you I grew up racing 2-strokes and still ride my CR250 on occasion. Honestly even swapping directly from one to the other in the same day the engine braking or lack-of between the 2 doesn't bother me at all. That being said if it is something you're worried about the Rekluse is certainly worth the money. The weakest part of the CRF450 outside of the stock shrouds is the clutch. Heavier springs are just a bandaid if you want decent life from the clutch. I went with a Hinson 6 spring myself.
yeh that was one of the reasons i was thinking of going for a rekluse clutch- theyre cheaper than the hinson ones anyway, and if i dont get on with the slipper style clutch then i could always use it as a normal style, 6 spring clutch with higher quality hub with more oil flow, better pressure plate etc.
I can jump off a 2 stroke onto a 4 stroke ( i ride an rm 250 with an eric gorr 300 kit and a yz 125) but think the honda would be more user friendly with a rekluse. I may be wrong, most people prefer 250 2 strokes with a flyhweel weight but i hated the one i tried- just made the bike feel flat and i didnt like the feel into corners and over the jumps (the extra engine inertia made it feel like it wanted to go straight on and was front end happy on the jumps- i could adjust to it, but didnt like it as much)- you never really know till you try.
Of the people i ride with only 2 have tried a rekluse, one raves about them, the other hates them!!! lol (both are national level riders) - be interesting what i think of it!

Havent even got the honda yet, and ive never owned a 4 stroke before- but ive been very lucky that my sponsor has offered to buy me a 450 ( i will be keeping the 125 and 250 2 strokes for playing on)

most of the reviews on the rekluse are positive, which is encouraging!
downandup
6/15/2011 8:59am
Good luck with this!

Be very interested to hear how it works out for you in the end. Let us know what you decide to do!
Highsider
6/15/2011 9:01am
I was considering a $899 Rekluse, but just turned up my idle a bit.
I saved $900!Grinning
TeamGreen
6/15/2011 9:21am
Hi there, looking at getting a 2011 crf 450 and installing a rekluse core exp clutch- would i be able to use this AND a magura...
Hi there, looking at getting a 2011 crf 450 and installing a rekluse core exp clutch- would i be able to use this AND a magura hydraulic clutch?

anybody used either or both of these? what were they like to ride compared to standard?

thanks
Really good set-up: You get the "No Stall" benefits AND a "Normal" Clutch.

Yes, this will work. Be sure to set-up your EXP correctly and you'll be a very happy man.
TeamGreen
6/15/2011 9:22am
A Note: You'll use your clutch QUITE a BIT LESS...so...

I dunno if I'd bother with the Hydro set-up...
6/15/2011 9:35am
TeamGreen wrote:
A Note: You'll use your clutch QUITE a BIT LESS...so...

I dunno if I'd bother with the Hydro set-up...
i think ill be trying the rekluse first, then ill decide whether or not i want the hydraulic clutch aswell. |t sounds like a good idea, be interesting to see how it feels to ride with

Post a reply to: Rekluse question

The Latest