Regular Length Motovans?

Bressler11
1/7/2015 5:29am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2015 5:45am
My step dad is a foreman for this electric company he can get me a great deal on a regular length (non extended) E150. The company had to buy some equipment by the end of 2014 or give it to the government in taxes. So they are unloading the old ones It is not exactly what I'm looking for as long as a motovan goes but I can't pass up the deal.

So can any of you post up some pictures of some regular length motovan setups?
|
Grizz
1/7/2015 5:43am
You can do it you just wont have the extra space behind the driver seat. But if you can get a good deal why not. You can always upgrade later.
mx965
1/7/2015 5:53am
just wait and get an extended one. I have a regular length dodge and i wish i wouldve got an extended.
forensic
Fantasy
524th
1/7/2015 6:04am
i have regular length '08 E150 with a 2 foot wide bench almost right up against the backs of the front seats. plenty of room for bikes in the back and I only use the bench area for sleeping so it doesn't bother me at all not to have leg room in front of the bench. I live in the city and its my daily driver so extended wasn't an option for me
Bressler11
1/7/2015 8:27am
Thanks guys do any of you have pictures?

The Shop

mx_563
1/7/2015 11:30am
I bought a regular length E150 from the local HVAC company. Next, I bought a stock ford rear bench seat off ebay for $50. I had to drill holes in the floor to mount it but there is reinforcement material (for rear seats) underneath on all the vans (passenger or cargo). Measure carefully, buy some grade 8 bolts and you should be fine. I can get two bikes in the back with the stock bench seat in the stock bench seat position.

On those occasions when I do sleep at the track, I sleep longitudinally alongside my bike. So the bench seat doesn't need to be a bed conversion. For me, I like maintaining the use of my inside rear view mirror and I like being able to just climb into the back. I have done some urban camping (driving down to Zaca from NorCal, sleeping in SLO near the University), where it's convenient to just park and have access to everything without creating a scene. There there have been the times I've been in rainy situation where you need something that's all the way at the back but you dread getting out of your vehicle. Access throughout is important to me so I did not want a wall. The drawback is that you have to make sure you secure everything well so you don't get hit in the heat with a toolbox during an accident. Also, if it's a hot night, you can't sleep in there with you gas can and whatnot.

I see a lot of people with super pimped out haulers that they only use to drive 20 miles to their local track. That's why I urge you to be honest with yourself. What do you need? How much better will your life be with the extended version?

Here're a couple pics from about two years ago when I did a solo long-weekend excursion to So Cal. First night at Gorman (just to spend the night), then off to Milestone, after that I snuck into Glen Helen (just to spend the night) and rode Comp Edge the following day. Regular length van was perfect...

It was summer and pretty warm. I slept alongside my bike on REI sleeping pad, with the sliding door open...

This was what I woke up to....pretty cool, I thought...

Heading out to Milestone, I had to swing by the offices of Dunder Mifflin for some paper goods...

Milestone... (pic was taken during the early afternoon track maintenance segment so the place was a bit empty)

Camping out at GH....

In the morning, as Jody and his pals were showing up for REM, I was getting ready to head up to Comp Edge...

Comp Edge....

So yeah, #vanforlife bro! LOL. Seriously, I love my van and it definitely gets the job done.

pete24
1/7/2015 11:32am
this is my 14 chevy AWD van fits three bikes no problem and has a water tank in front of the wall, there is about as much room as a extended cab pikup in the front

ridge
1/7/2015 11:42am
One of my old race vans...

FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
1/7/2015 11:43am
You forgot one other point about a wall, keeping the heat and AC in the front and the smells in the back. Without a wall it takes forever for your heat or AC to do anything since it's trying to work such a huge space. With a wall the heat and AC kick ass.

If you are not going to have wall, I encourage you to at least put a rod or bungee cord across and hang a curtain to prevent people from seeing what's in back.
mx_563
1/7/2015 1:46pm
FGR01 wrote:
You forgot one other point about a wall, keeping the heat and AC in the front and the smells in the back. Without a wall it...
You forgot one other point about a wall, keeping the heat and AC in the front and the smells in the back. Without a wall it takes forever for your heat or AC to do anything since it's trying to work such a huge space. With a wall the heat and AC kick ass.

If you are not going to have wall, I encourage you to at least put a rod or bungee cord across and hang a curtain to prevent people from seeing what's in back.
This is true. But my van is 23 years old and the AC quit working long before I got it. So in the summer when the fumes are fuming, I have windows down and lots of air circulating. But I concede, this could be problematic.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
1/7/2015 2:28pm
Bressler11 wrote:
Type "moto vans " in the search bar and you will have lots of threads with pics
mx_563
1/7/2015 5:12pm
Here's a cheap alternative....(not as "cool" as full size though)

Big enough to camp in as well...

Bressler11
1/7/2015 6:14pm
Bressler11 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Type "moto vans " in the search bar and you will have lots of threads with pics
I did lost boy they were all extended
1/7/2015 7:19pm
My e-150 standard size fits in my garage. I am not sure if an extended would... It certainly would not with the lawn mower, tool box, generator and power washer in front of it.
JB 19
1/7/2015 11:17pm
FGR01 wrote:
You forgot one other point about a wall, keeping the heat and AC in the front and the smells in the back. Without a wall it...

I have an extended GMC passenger van with rear ac and heat. Gutted the back and left the rear heating and air unit. Cools down or heats up as fast as a car. Still get a little fuel smell when the van heats up and the bike tank vents. Roll the windows down for a few seconds. No biggie.
JB 19
1/7/2015 11:21pm
BTW, I had a standard length van before and it was fine. Had a bench mounted behind the front seats, but once you own an extended it would be tough to go back.
walent215
1/8/2015 9:50pm
Extended is the way to go bud!
motokiwi
Fantasy
235th
1/8/2015 11:09pm
Sick rims brah, is that paint job standard?
walent215
1/9/2015 5:45am
motokiwi wrote:
Sick rims brah, is that paint job standard?
I actually took those wheels off and put some stock size on for better driveability and gas mileage .....the guy I bought it from had it painted I believe

Post a reply to: Regular Length Motovans?

The Latest