Regional strategies needed..

JoJmoto
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 5:32am
Ok so this year, we are able to run 4 classes for our attempt at Loretta's. The good thing is we will get plenty of track time and chances to make the show. However, the bad thing is, is it to much track time!?

At the Regional, its only two days worth of qualifying in a 3 moto format. Times that x 4 classes and that's a shit load of high intensity racing! Providing the weather is good and there is no rain, that will be around 6 motos a day.

That's 12 chances at getting taken out in the first turn, right? The problem is, if you drop a class, what do you do if you have a bad moto in one of the others? Now your down to two classes. Anyone have any strategies they would like to share for running this amount of classes?
|
bigborefan
3/22/2015 4:21pm
"Anyone have any strategies they would like to share for running this amount of classes?"

Be in shape is all I got.
3/22/2015 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 4:22pm
Run all the first motos. If you have a real bad first moto bag that class. Then focus in the good finishing class or classes.
JustMX
3/22/2015 4:53pm
What if regionals are going to a two Moto format?

The Shop

3/22/2015 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 5:31pm
JoJmoto wrote:
Ok so this year, we are able to run 4 classes for our attempt at Loretta's. The good thing is we will get plenty of track...
Ok so this year, we are able to run 4 classes for our attempt at Loretta's. The good thing is we will get plenty of track time and chances to make the show. However, the bad thing is, is it to much track time!?

At the Regional, its only two days worth of qualifying in a 3 moto format. Times that x 4 classes and that's a shit load of high intensity racing! Providing the weather is good and there is no rain, that will be around 6 motos a day.

That's 12 chances at getting taken out in the first turn, right? The problem is, if you drop a class, what do you do if you have a bad moto in one of the others? Now your down to two classes. Anyone have any strategies they would like to share for running this amount of classes?
When I raced Karts I got all carried away and ended up racing 3 Karts in 3 different classes. Ended up going back to one class and won 2x Australasian titles the same season.

At most. I'd enter 2 classes (extra track time), but concentrate and race in one.

My daughter competes in Equestrian. If she's stressed, the horse is stressed and both will fail. Your son is the horse.

Spend some of that spare time playing Chess with him. Strategy/Race craft is way Under rated. In a close race, normally the smarter/thinking racer wins.

Free Tip. Focus more on enjoyment. Not so much on results. Work on building confidence more so than expectations.

If you enjoy yourselves and gain valuable experience, you got good value for your $$ no matter the results.
These are the best days of your and your sons lives. Life simply does not get any better! There are no better memories for a young man than the time spent with his father. Keep your eye on the real prize. Good memories are Priceless and the only thing you take with you when you leave this world..

You'll be there, with your son. You've already won mate. Anything else is just a bonus.

Look at RV. If you're not having fun and enjoying yourself, winning isn't even enough to keep you participating and keen. And he was getting paid to win!
wwoberg
3/22/2015 6:32pm
If your son has made it too the regionals in 4 classes I don't think you have much to worry about. That is quite an accomplishment.
hvaughn88
3/22/2015 7:00pm
JoJmoto wrote:
Ok so this year, we are able to run 4 classes for our attempt at Loretta's. The good thing is we will get plenty of track...

#991 wrote:
When I raced Karts I got all carried away and ended up racing 3 Karts in 3 different classes. Ended up going back to one class...
When I raced Karts I got all carried away and ended up racing 3 Karts in 3 different classes. Ended up going back to one class and won 2x Australasian titles the same season.

At most. I'd enter 2 classes (extra track time), but concentrate and race in one.

My daughter competes in Equestrian. If she's stressed, the horse is stressed and both will fail. Your son is the horse.

Spend some of that spare time playing Chess with him. Strategy/Race craft is way Under rated. In a close race, normally the smarter/thinking racer wins.

Free Tip. Focus more on enjoyment. Not so much on results. Work on building confidence more so than expectations.

If you enjoy yourselves and gain valuable experience, you got good value for your $$ no matter the results.
These are the best days of your and your sons lives. Life simply does not get any better! There are no better memories for a young man than the time spent with his father. Keep your eye on the real prize. Good memories are Priceless and the only thing you take with you when you leave this world..

You'll be there, with your son. You've already won mate. Anything else is just a bonus.

Look at RV. If you're not having fun and enjoying yourself, winning isn't even enough to keep you participating and keen. And he was getting paid to win!
I mean this in as nice of a way as possible and with all due respect (I said with all due respect, haha) but sometimes it seems like you're two completely different people in your posts. I love what you posted in this thread, it was very cool and very civil.
3/22/2015 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 12:06am
JoJmoto wrote:

#991 wrote:
When I raced Karts I got all carried away and ended up racing 3 Karts in 3 different classes. Ended up going back to one class...

hvaughn88 wrote:
I mean this in as nice of a way as possible and with all due respect (I said with all due respect, haha) but sometimes it...
I mean this in as nice of a way as possible and with all due respect (I said with all due respect, haha) but sometimes it seems like you're two completely different people in your posts. I love what you posted in this thread, it was very cool and very civil.
I have mentioned I have mild Asperger's Syndrome Laughing . I have PTSD as well.

Trust me. I have trouble keeping up myself mate. I can even read a post I've made the previous day and think, WTF Dry . But it does keep life Interesting.

No offence taken. I've known since pre-school I was "different".
hvaughn88
3/22/2015 7:16pm
#991 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I mean this in as nice of a way as possible and with all due respect (I said with all due respect, haha) but sometimes it...
#991 wrote:
I have mentioned I have mild Asperger's Syndrome :laugh:. I have PTSD as well. Trust me. I have trouble keeping up myself mate. I can even...
I have mentioned I have mild Asperger's Syndrome Laughing . I have PTSD as well.

Trust me. I have trouble keeping up myself mate. I can even read a post I've made the previous day and think, WTF Dry . But it does keep life Interesting.

Well in that case, I hope you'll excuse me while I take my massive foot out of my mouth. I know we've all probably said some things on here that made us shake our heads in retrospect. Hell, just this week I deleted a thread I started because after I thought about it my timing and content wasn't well placed at the moment.
3/22/2015 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2015 7:38pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
#991 wrote:
I have mentioned I have mild Asperger's Syndrome :laugh:. I have PTSD as well. Trust me. I have trouble keeping up myself mate. I can even...

hvaughn88 wrote:
Well in that case, I hope you'll excuse me while I take my massive foot out of my mouth. I know we've all probably said some...
Well in that case, I hope you'll excuse me while I take my massive foot out of my mouth. I know we've all probably said some things on here that made us shake our heads in retrospect. Hell, just this week I deleted a thread I started because after I thought about it my timing and content wasn't well placed at the moment.
I'm 44. You learn to laugh at yourself. I'm an dirt bike riding version of Sheldon Cooper. Less the IQ.

Honestly. No offence was taken at all mate Wink .
3/22/2015 7:36pm
JoJmoto wrote:

I would just run 3 classes, run all the motos regardless of how the first one goes, have fun, take in the experience of it all, and hope for the best. Good luck to ya!
JoJmoto
3/22/2015 7:45pm
wwoberg wrote:
If your son has made it too the regionals in 4 classes I don't think you have much to worry about. That is quite an accomplishment.
Thanks bud, but of course I am assuming we will make it. He has not raced since September (Been wrestling in high school) and we just hit a SE LLQ last weekend in North Carolina. We had between 26, 31 and 39 people on the gate with us and he handled it like old hat. Had some decent starts but had some bad luck. Was running 6th in one moto and the rear end slipped in the mud but slowed him enough that the rider behind him cleaned him out..got up for a 10 place. Next race was in 7th, two laps later off come the goggles.. went backwards from there.... had to see the medics after the race to flush his eyes.. Fell in a corner all by himself in another class while in 5th, stalled his bike trying to avoid a downed rider in another class while in 6th ect...ect.. Ended up over all in four classes with a 9th, 10th, 12th and 19th. But I was cool with it for a first race back, showed us what he needed to work on. This weekend he is looking for some up front finishes so, we'll see...
wwoberg
3/22/2015 7:53pm
Did u race Fast Farms this weekend?
JoJmoto
3/22/2015 8:01pm
No I had to work. He raced Windy Hill last weekend and this coming weekend we will hit Veterans Mx in MS.
JoJmoto
3/22/2015 8:04pm
Getting used to the new bike after only a couple rides

Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/22/2015 8:08pm
He can only race 2 classes at Loretta's right? I'd say drop the 4th one and run 3 qualifying classes. That way you still have one throwaway if he has a bad moto.
wwoberg
3/22/2015 8:08pm
Youth and amateur regionals are in different places. Is there even a way to race 4 youth classes or 4 amateur classes? What classes is he in?
JoJmoto
3/22/2015 8:12pm
Yeah they added another class this year, 250c Limited (12-16)

So he rode:

250c Limited
250c Limited 12-16
250c
450c

Thank god they added this age class... he has had to race against MEN all last year and now this year.
3/22/2015 8:56pm
Six motos a day isn't an impossible feat.

It actually used to be pretty standard for me. 125, 250, and Open.

Run the first day in all four classes.

In the second day, if qualifying appears to be a long shot in a class, drop that class. You could even drop it after the first moto on the first day if his score is horrendous.

It would be wise to start simulating race day by running six motos. Keep a stop watch handy. If it's clear that six motos isn't feasible endurance wise make the call beforehand.
JoJmoto
3/23/2015 5:32am
TripleFive wrote:
Six motos a day isn't an impossible feat. It actually used to be pretty standard for me. 125, 250, and Open. Run the first day in...
Six motos a day isn't an impossible feat.

It actually used to be pretty standard for me. 125, 250, and Open.

Run the first day in all four classes.

In the second day, if qualifying appears to be a long shot in a class, drop that class. You could even drop it after the first moto on the first day if his score is horrendous.

It would be wise to start simulating race day by running six motos. Keep a stop watch handy. If it's clear that six motos isn't feasible endurance wise make the call beforehand.
yeah three classes a day now is a good idea. We typically only run two classes.

Our last Regional where we ran more then one or two classes was a couple years ago and we were running three classes in the 85's/Supermini's. I noticed that the later rounds barely had anyone in them. I assume because of some bad first motos or crashes. I too pulled him out of one of the classes after a decent first moto but just a mediocre second moto and when I saw the third moto only had 1/2 the people, I was kicking myself. But we were having bike trouble that year.

He has not made it to teh show yet so this is a big year for us because he is as competitive as anyone else in this class. So he has a shot and with this new 12-16 class, his chances just seem even better.

Post a reply to: Regional strategies needed..

The Latest