Reed's Clutch

Jmicmoto13
I saw on the starting line that Reed didn't have the hydraulic clutch on this week. Anyone know why he changed back after 6 weeks? Possibly feel or engagement?
|
Crush
2/19/2017 5:31am
Possibly because he can't get that bike to go over the starting gate without bogging or wheeling. Yamaha have let him down there.
Jmicmoto13
2/19/2017 5:36am
Crush wrote:
Possibly because he can't get that bike to go over the starting gate without bogging or wheeling. Yamaha have let him down there.
The bike is bogging? Sheesh
TXDirt
2/19/2017 5:44am
He struggled last night. Would love to hear his thoughts on the track.
Crush
2/19/2017 6:02am
Crush wrote:
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
The bike is bogging? Sheesh
Watch him.

Every start. Either pops a wheelie and stops (Bog/excessive clutch) or spins the shit out of hit. His words man. He also said, Coop has found a way to make it work, but it's hard to adjust since he's been used to a clutch engaging properly over a 20 year pro career.

It's ridiculous that Yamaha can't sort this. They had these issues last year and it cause a couple of almost dnfs where he lost the clutch mid moto also.

What is this 2001/2002 Nick Wey years?!?!

The Shop

kmp1219
2/19/2017 6:17am
Agree, Yamaha needs to figure it out
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/19/2017 6:39am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 6:44am
Crush wrote:
Watch him. Every start. Either pops a wheelie and stops (Bog/excessive clutch) or spins the shit out of hit. His words man. He also said, Coop...
Watch him.

Every start. Either pops a wheelie and stops (Bog/excessive clutch) or spins the shit out of hit. His words man. He also said, Coop has found a way to make it work, but it's hard to adjust since he's been used to a clutch engaging properly over a 20 year pro career.

It's ridiculous that Yamaha can't sort this. They had these issues last year and it cause a couple of almost dnfs where he lost the clutch mid moto also.

What is this 2001/2002 Nick Wey years?!?!
Chad had the same problem when he had a hydro on Hondas, he's a clutch abuser and doesn't feel them going away when the hydro keeps adjusting, until it's too late and it's fried (this was his own comments when he had one on Hondas)

This is one of those items that makes me scratch my head, because I thought I was told he requested it...
YamaLink
2/19/2017 6:40am
His podium comments regarding the team and setup and listening to him may make for some good storyling after the season.
Crush
2/19/2017 6:51am
ML512 wrote:
Chad had the same problem when he had a hydro on Hondas, he's a clutch abuser and doesn't feel them going away when the hydro keeps...
Chad had the same problem when he had a hydro on Hondas, he's a clutch abuser and doesn't feel them going away when the hydro keeps adjusting, until it's too late and it's fried (this was his own comments when he had one on Hondas)

This is one of those items that makes me scratch my head, because I thought I was told he requested it...
He was a clutch abuser when he was 16 on a POS suzuki, but they figured it out, and he never struggled starting the hondas either.

Yamaha needs to get their shit together. How you gonna spend all that money rebuilding a team, hiring one of the biggest names in the sport, spend a dickload on Webb, and let a fucking clutch and testing pull you down. Ridiculous. They need to look at Honda and their effort. All in.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/19/2017 6:54am
Crush wrote:
He was a clutch abuser when he was 16 on a POS suzuki, but they figured it out, and he never struggled starting the hondas either...
He was a clutch abuser when he was 16 on a POS suzuki, but they figured it out, and he never struggled starting the hondas either.

Yamaha needs to get their shit together. How you gonna spend all that money rebuilding a team, hiring one of the biggest names in the sport, spend a dickload on Webb, and let a fucking clutch and testing pull you down. Ridiculous. They need to look at Honda and their effort. All in.
When he's on a cable clutch, he has to adjust it himself...so he knows how far gone it's getting. On the hydro, he just forgets and goes ham on it. Once again, his own admission after he was on Hondas with one.
Jmicmoto13
2/19/2017 6:56am
ML512 wrote:
Chad had the same problem when he had a hydro on Hondas, he's a clutch abuser and doesn't feel them going away when the hydro keeps...

Awesome insight ML. Thanks
Crush
2/19/2017 7:04am
ML512 wrote:
When he's on a cable clutch, he has to adjust it himself...so he knows how far gone it's getting. On the hydro, he just forgets and...
When he's on a cable clutch, he has to adjust it himself...so he knows how far gone it's getting. On the hydro, he just forgets and goes ham on it. Once again, his own admission after he was on Hondas with one.
I'm not sure the abuse is the issue when we're talking about the start...
toroP
2/19/2017 7:50am
TXDirt wrote:
He struggled last night. Would love to hear his thoughts on the track.
Reed's struggle was the start and throwing himself to the ground. He ran good times after the crash.

With the starts, Reed seemed to say he can't really change his technique. This "old dog/new tricks" syndrome could make for a long season. Woof
toroP
2/19/2017 7:51am
ML512 wrote:
When he's on a cable clutch, he has to adjust it himself...so he knows how far gone it's getting. On the hydro, he just forgets and...
Crush wrote:
I'm not sure the abuse is the issue when we're talking about the start...
Agreed
APerry151
2/19/2017 8:02am
Yeah, every race its painful to watch his chances go out the window literally the moment the gate drops. He can't get off the gate. Whether its the clutch or its him, something has to change. He's been having some weird crashes lately anyway though, he's just not himself. It isn't his speed, these past few races its not like he was any slower than the guy who got 4th. I feel like once he's out of a championship fight he loses focus and or motivation.
APerry151
2/19/2017 8:16am
toroP wrote:
Reed's struggle was the start and throwing himself to the ground. He ran good times after the crash. With the starts, Reed seemed to say he...
Reed's struggle was the start and throwing himself to the ground. He ran good times after the crash.

With the starts, Reed seemed to say he can't really change his technique. This "old dog/new tricks" syndrome could make for a long season. Woof
His times after the crash, on laps 17 18 and 19 were 3 of his best and they were legit fast. Better than everyone but 3 1 and 25. Like I said it ain't his speed.
cheers_22
2/19/2017 8:18am
Crush wrote:
He was a clutch abuser when he was 16 on a POS suzuki, but they figured it out, and he never struggled starting the hondas either...

ML512 wrote:
The clutch is fresh on the start.... abusing the clutch during the moto has nothing to do with spinning off the gate
Crush
2/19/2017 8:26am
Problem is, this sort of race makes the naysayers come out... But there is no way you show that sort of form at glendale and it's not there.

Guaranteed if he's on about any other bike plus a few starts and he is still murdering it.

His clutch and his turns are killing him right now. Nothing to do with his age at all.
toroP
2/19/2017 8:26am
toroP wrote:
Reed's struggle was the start and throwing himself to the ground. He ran good times after the crash. With the starts, Reed seemed to say he...

APerry151 wrote:
His times after the crash, on laps 17 18 and 19 were 3 of his best and they were legit fast. Better than everyone but 3...
His times after the crash, on laps 17 18 and 19 were 3 of his best and they were legit fast. Better than everyone but 3 1 and 25. Like I said it ain't his speed.
Yes. He found a groove there. But 18th at the end of lap one? Sheesh. He could have been the fastest guy on the track and still not make the podium from there.
Jmicmoto13
2/19/2017 8:28am
cheers_22 wrote:
The clutch is fresh on the start.... abusing the clutch during the moto has nothing to do with spinning off the gate
Valid point.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
2/19/2017 8:29am
His starts were talked about on racerx earlier this week. They said he doesn't like using the GET data or the start button like everyone else. The team said he is old school and doesn't trust it. This is why cooper gets good starts and Chad doesn't.
APerry151
2/19/2017 8:33am
toroP wrote:

APerry151 wrote:
His times after the crash, on laps 17 18 and 19 were 3 of his best and they were legit fast. Better than everyone but 3...
toroP wrote:
Yes. He found a groove there. But 18th at the end of lap one? Sheesh. He could have been the fastest guy on the track and...
Yes. He found a groove there. But 18th at the end of lap one? Sheesh. He could have been the fastest guy on the track and still not make the podium from there.
Agreed. He spun and got pinched off immediately. Then got hung up on a tough block in turn one. Zero chance to do anything with that kind of start in this field w/ these tracks. With the way these last few have been going you know he was cursing in his helmet at that moment. Knowing the race is blown again and you have to go do 25 laps at the back of the pack.
toroP
2/19/2017 9:50am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Almost like he was sleeping on the gate....[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/19/177283/s1200_IMG_4884.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/19/177284/s1200_IMG_4885.jpg[/img]
Almost like he was sleeping on the gate....

Woof
kiwifan
2/19/2017 11:05am
I am sure they will get it figured...for sure abusing the clutch is one of the negatives about Hydros in that you dont know its fried until it is....but 95% of people out there would never abuse it like top Pros would so not a major issue. I guess in Reed's case they have no choice but to go back to cable as what else could they do if still using Hydro?? What could be some solutions guys?
JM485
2/19/2017 11:37am
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
Almost like he was sleeping on the gate....[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/19/177283/s1200_IMG_4884.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/19/177284/s1200_IMG_4885.jpg[/img]
Almost like he was sleeping on the gate....

Every. Single. Week... It's driving me crazy, he looks great once he gets going but every week he's a 1/2 a bike length behind everyone right out of the gate. It's his reaction that is killing him it seems like to me, and then he spins or wheelies over the gate making for a bad combo. I really hope they get this figured out, I want to see him back up front where he belongs.
tek14
2/19/2017 11:45am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
His starts were talked about on racerx earlier this week. They said he doesn't like using the GET data or the start button like everyone else...
His starts were talked about on racerx earlier this week. They said he doesn't like using the GET data or the start button like everyone else. The team said he is old school and doesn't trust it. This is why cooper gets good starts and Chad doesn't.
Others using.. he is not. When you add his slow reaction on gate... Old school new times.
Question
2/19/2017 12:49pm
Maybe they could put some oil. That sucks to chase weight loss.
BobPA
2/19/2017 12:57pm
Pretty embarrassing that Yamaha cannot make a clutch that holds up for 20 minutes.
gerg
2/19/2017 1:47pm
His corners speeds are quite frankly shithouse as well.

This mid corner pause he does just loses so much time every 180 degree turn. I'd love to know where he makes time up elsewhere because those turns.

Also a bit of a worry, was that comment from Ralph or Jeff (cant remember) about him having some mysterious "knee's" issue. Wonder if it's starting to catch up with him :/
sandman768
2/19/2017 1:55pm
Starts are all about confidence......lose confidence in bike/clutch.......Bad starts....bad starts on one lined shitty race track....bad finish...

Post a reply to: Reed's Clutch

The Latest