Reed vs, Canard, an important point to ponder

Nerd
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2015 6:13am
|
huck
1/21/2015 2:02pm
Awesome....another thread on the same topic that's been beaten to death.

Crush
1/21/2015 2:11pm
Reedy did say he got it the very next lap.... But even if it was 3 laps later, it's too early.
Nerd
1/21/2015 2:19pm
Point is, Reed got the black flag about 33-35 seconds after he knocked Canard off the track.

The replay the FIM official said he looked at in order to make his decision to black-flag Reed, didn't happen until 48 seconds after Reed knocked Canard off the track.

So, how can someone have used video evidence to make a decision before the video had been shown?

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/21/2015 2:24pm
There are no important points left, it's a week old issue between 2 riders who said they were over it.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
1/21/2015 2:31pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 2:31pm
every sport has referees that make split second decisions, some have now gone onto have video replays, which slow the whole game down,

now, with standing this incident, do you think no blag flag should ever be applied with out a video replay? if a rider was cruising the track waiting for another rider to come around to extract his revenge, should the referee wait until he takes the rider out, so he can watch the video to see if he actually did it?
Nerd
1/21/2015 2:42pm
scott_nz wrote:
every sport has referees that make split second decisions, some have now gone onto have video replays, which slow the whole game down, now, with standing...
every sport has referees that make split second decisions, some have now gone onto have video replays, which slow the whole game down,

now, with standing this incident, do you think no blag flag should ever be applied with out a video replay? if a rider was cruising the track waiting for another rider to come around to extract his revenge, should the referee wait until he takes the rider out, so he can watch the video to see if he actually did it?
I think, as Thomas Jefferson once said, "Delay is preferable to error."

The point being made here is that the FIM official lied about seeing the replay prior to black-flagging Reed.

Why do people lie?

As for the "cruising around waiting" thing, if someone is doing that, a black flag may be appropriate. But that has nothing to do with this.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
1/21/2015 2:53pm
Nerd wrote:
I think, as Thomas Jefferson once said, "Delay is preferable to error." The point being made here is that the FIM official lied about seeing the...

The point being made here is that the FIM official lied about seeing the replay prior to black-flagging Reed.

Why do people lie?

As for the "cruising around waiting" thing, if someone is doing that, a black flag may be appropriate. But that has nothing to do with this.
I agree with you that wrong call was made, but i can see why it was made to,

Does anyone know if the flag was dispalyed the next lap? (which was not even a full lap after, more 2/3rds) or the lap after, as Chad is the only one that has said the next lap, and I can understand a racer being mistaken by a lap,
1/21/2015 2:58pm
scott_nz wrote:
every sport has referees that make split second decisions, some have now gone onto have video replays, which slow the whole game down, now, with standing...

Nerd wrote:
I think, as Thomas Jefferson once said, "Delay is preferable to error." The point being made here is that the FIM official lied about seeing the...

Why do people lie?

Because he's a part-time race official who makes things up as he goes along?
Olson
1/21/2015 3:11pm
newmann wrote:
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Fonzie_jumps_the_shark.PNG[/img]
I've missed that one around here lately.
SwapperMX
1/21/2015 3:27pm
Nerd wrote:

Why do people lie?

which Thomas Jefferson ?? The one that haunted these traps for a while ??
Nerd
1/21/2015 3:43pm
Nerd wrote:

Why do people lie?

scott_nz wrote:
I agree with you that wrong call was made, but i can see why it was made to, Does anyone know if the flag was dispalyed...

Does anyone know if the flag was dispalyed the next lap? (which was not even a full lap after, more 2/3rds) or the lap after, as Chad is the only one that has said the next lap, and I can understand a racer being mistaken by a lap,
He got the black flag that lap.
jeffro503
1/21/2015 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 3:50pm
Well....even though the entire situation sucks..

Canard made an error in judgement and took Chad out.
Reed got pissed and took matters into his own hands.
The official gave Reed the black flag.
The official lied about giving Reed the black flag without reviewing the replay first.

This is the thing....it sucks , but Reed and Canard both have pretty much said " We're over it ".......and we are all on this board crying over split milk. What's done is done and we should just move on. Mistakes were made by all parties involved.

That's the way I see it anyways.
toroP
1/21/2015 3:58pm
newmann wrote:
This thread is going places! [img]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k35/Breffner/GIF/02.gif[/img]
This thread is going places!

Sensational !
VOODOO27
1/21/2015 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 4:04pm
Nerd wrote:

Why do people lie?

scott_nz wrote:
I agree with you that wrong call was made, but i can see why it was made to, Does anyone know if the flag was dispalyed...

Nerd wrote:
Steve, I'm trying to confirm the time line with you... the crash happened on lap 8, Chad get clocked in about -20 from Roczen at the start of lap 9... then as the race hits lap 10... he pops up as 'OUT' on the leader board. The AMA provisional results have him completing 9 lap, not 8. Are you sure he didn't get flagged at the start of lap 10? How did he get recording as completing 9 laps, if he was black flagged right after completing lap 8? Grant shows out after lap 10...one lap after Reed is shown as out.

Am I misreading the lap chart and provisional results page?
Crush
1/21/2015 4:05pm
VOODOO27 wrote:
Steve, I'm trying to confirm the time line with you... the crash happened on lap 8, Chad get clocked in about -20 from Roczen at the...
Steve, I'm trying to confirm the time line with you... the crash happened on lap 8, Chad get clocked in about -20 from Roczen at the start of lap 9... then as the race hits lap 10... he pops up as 'OUT' on the leader board. The AMA provisional results have him completing 9 lap, not 8. Are you sure he didn't get flagged at the start of lap 10? How did he get recording as completing 9 laps, if he was black flagged right after completing lap 8? Grant shows out after lap 10...one lap after Reed is shown as out.

Not sure but reading lap charts makes my brain hurt!

This was a track where the finish line made the first lap a 2/3rd lap right?
Outsider
1/21/2015 4:17pm
lol , Cox lost this one big time
wreckitrandy
1/21/2015 4:23pm
Is it possible that the timeline doesn't correlate between what we see on tv and what played at the track?
Nerd
1/21/2015 4:28pm
scott_nz wrote:

Nerd wrote:
VOODOO27 wrote:
Steve, I'm trying to confirm the time line with you... the crash happened on lap 8, Chad get clocked in about -20 from Roczen at the...

He likely didn't pull off the first time he got the black flag.
Nerd
1/21/2015 4:28pm
Is it possible that the timeline doesn't correlate between what we see on tv and what played at the track?
No. The replay is live in the stadium and at home simultaneously.
jeffro503
1/21/2015 4:41pm
Nerd wrote:
VOODOO27 wrote:

Nerd wrote:
Chad said he went a couple laps with them giving him the black flag.Said he couldn't figure out what he was getting it or if that helps.
VOODOO27
1/21/2015 4:48pm
Nerd wrote:
VOODOO27 wrote:

Nerd wrote:
Gotcha... I guess a video of him crossing the finish line at the start of lap 9, would clear things up. Even Chad thought he went an extra lap or two after seeing the flag.

Definitely, doesn't line up with the official's statement to Racer X... more like it validated his decision... then again, it's just as odd to image John checking the Jumbotron a short 12-14 seconds after being completely focus on black flagging Reed if he was supposedly so emotionally wrapped up in the 'live' situation at hand. I wouldn't think he'd be looking around to see if he could catch the replay of it to see if he made the right call.

Whatever.... Stewart's not racing, so what's the difference Smile
VOODOO27
1/21/2015 4:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Chad said he went a couple laps with them giving him the black flag.Said he couldn't figure out what he was getting it or if that...
Chad said he went a couple laps with them giving him the black flag.Said he couldn't figure out what he was getting it or if that helps.
His quote was 'I think I went an extra lap or two laps, and the whole lap I was kind of coming up short on jumps and just kind of like “Really?'

If it was only one lap and he slowly rode around on lap 10, he still could have been flagged at the start of lap 10.

Steve's usually right on with his takes. I'm not sure what evidence he has to support the fact he was flagged at the start of lap 9... but, I'm sure he'll produce it if he has something to back it up.
Nerd
1/21/2015 5:23pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Chad said he went a couple laps with them giving him the black flag.Said he couldn't figure out what he was getting it or if that...
VOODOO27 wrote:
His quote was 'I think I went an extra lap or two laps, and the whole lap I was kind of coming up short on jumps...
His quote was 'I think I went an extra lap or two laps, and the whole lap I was kind of coming up short on jumps and just kind of like “Really?'

If it was only one lap and he slowly rode around on lap 10, he still could have been flagged at the start of lap 10.

Steve's usually right on with his takes. I'm not sure what evidence he has to support the fact he was flagged at the start of lap 9... but, I'm sure he'll produce it if he has something to back it up.
The lap chart shows him pulling off after lap 9. He said he rode an extra lap or two. That's only one lap past when he and Canard tangled.

That's the proof.

He got the black flag 33-35 seconds after he took Canard out, and the replay of that incident didn't happen until 48 seconds later.

So the official in fact did NOT use the replay, as he claimed, to decide on the black flag.

And I believe in a situation like this, the only reason for him to lie is to cover his butt.

Look back to Phoenix 2010, where Reed and Stewart tangled. Stewart fell on Reed's right hand/arm. It broke Reed's hand. Reed shoved Stewart's head off of his arm in order to get up. This same official DQ'd Reed for hitting Stewart, and also banned him from one race.

I was one of 3 journalists who hung around until after 2 am to figure out what was going to happen that night. Reed went in and met with this official WITH X-RAYS showing his hand was broken, and the official simply said (paraphrasing), "I know what I saw."

Reed appealed and won.

This incident is more of the same: Snap judgments, then afterward trying to figure out how to justify it.

It's bad for the sport.
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
1/21/2015 5:36pm
Nerd wrote:
VOODOO27 wrote:

Nerd wrote:
if he was DQ'd, and the scoring system has a DQ feature (which the one i have used have) he would not come up on any scoring sheets after that time,

did you see him get black flagged on the start of lap 9? or are you taking Chad's word for it?
Nerd
1/21/2015 5:50pm
VOODOO27 wrote:

Nerd wrote:
scott_nz wrote:
if he was DQ'd, and the scoring system has a DQ feature (which the one i have used have) he would not come up on any...
if he was DQ'd, and the scoring system has a DQ feature (which the one i have used have) he would not come up on any scoring sheets after that time,

did you see him get black flagged on the start of lap 9? or are you taking Chad's word for it?
After the race, until at least Sunday evening, this page showed him dropping out after lap 9.

http://results.amasupercross.com/xml/SX/events/S1515/S1F1LAP.pdf

They've updated it since. I'm sure someone has the pdf saved.

Post a reply to: Reed vs, Canard, an important point to ponder

The Latest