Reed and no neck brace

Zycki11
Edited Date/Time 1/31/2012 11:32am
Chad answered the question... "So lots of questions about me not wearing a neck brace... Long story short I'm not a believer any more"
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/17/2010 10:30pm
That's too bad.

His gear looks super cool.
dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
12/17/2010 10:32pm
Someone needs to explain to me why riders ride with a neck brace and no chest pro?
Zycki11
12/17/2010 10:43pm
dv12.com wrote:
Someone needs to explain to me why riders ride with a neck brace and no chest pro?
I can't answer for the chest pro minus the comfort factor. As for the neck brace? I am not 100% sold on it either. However, i feel it gives me a mental stability knowing there is a little more there for my very vulnerable neck. I have broke a few ribs in my day and a chest protector would no doubt help.
TerryK
12/17/2010 10:55pm
A bit disappointing but he's a big boy and it's his choice.

The Shop

nwmx
12/17/2010 11:23pm
it seems like more and more riders not just pros are starting to go without the neck braces now. i bought one right when they came out and everyone thought they were the coolest thing, and it's sort of fizzeled out. After I broke my collar bone in FOUR places due to mine this summer I haven't worn it since. If anything I would wear the a-stars brace or one of the others that directs the load in places other than the clavicle.
FIREfish148
12/17/2010 11:43pm
what ever happened to those good old evs neck braces? the foam ones. those things were legit and they were only 30 bucks.
ATKpilot99
12/17/2010 11:52pm
what ever happened to those good old evs neck braces? the foam ones. those things were legit and they were only 30 bucks.
Absolutely. And look at pics of riders wearing the A-Stars brace. Looks like there is plenty of movement to me. The Leatt restricts movement more for sure but there may be other issues with that brace. I have a leatt adventure and Im going to sell it and go back to my EVS neck donut.
JaumeTGO
12/17/2010 11:57pm
dv12.com wrote:
To me too!!!!

WHY??
Stoop
Fantasy
912th
12/18/2010 12:06am
Zycki11 wrote:
Chad answered the question... "So lots of questions about me not wearing a neck brace... Long story short I'm not a believer any more"
im sure that statement right there is going to cost neck brace company's thousands
redrider400
12/18/2010 1:09am
Zycki11 wrote:
Stoop wrote:
im sure that statement right there is going to cost neck brace company's thousands
All it will take is A-stars or Leatt to pony up the money and Chad would be a "believer" again. I know I would, even if I didn't believe in them.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
12/18/2010 1:16am
Zycki11 wrote:
Stoop wrote:
All it will take is A-stars or Leatt to pony up the money and Chad would be a "believer" again. I know I would, even if...
All it will take is A-stars or Leatt to pony up the money and Chad would be a "believer" again. I know I would, even if I didn't believe in them.
i think that Chad is calling the shots now, and making the decisions based on what he feels comfortable wearing.

Chad isnt the only pro to stop wearing the braces

Its all about feeling comfortable and going fast, and he's fucking flying at the moment
crf250pilot
12/18/2010 2:22am
Stoop wrote:
All it will take is A-stars or Leatt to pony up the money and Chad would be a "believer" again. I know I would, even if...
Zacka 161 wrote:
i think that Chad is calling the shots now, and making the decisions based on what he feels comfortable wearing. Chad isnt the only pro to...
i think that Chad is calling the shots now, and making the decisions based on what he feels comfortable wearing.

Its all about feeling comfortable and going fast, and he's fucking flying at the moment
In other words, Case closed Muthafckers! find a new CR subject
Jake-247
12/18/2010 3:01am
Zacka 161 wrote:
i think that Chad is calling the shots now, and making the decisions based on what he feels comfortable wearing. Chad isnt the only pro to...

In other words, Case closed Muthafckers! find a new CR subject
X2

/thread
spd721
12/18/2010 5:46am
So after wearing one since 2007, he's no longer comfortable/ a believer in then. I find that kind of odd.
Faceaz
12/18/2010 6:04am
The foam deals work great, I think Millsaps wore them allot groing up. IMO, I'd much rather have a broken clavical over a broken neck. I think everyone should be wearing something & the foam is probably pretty good protection for the neck, with less chance of breaking a clavical.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
12/18/2010 6:28am
Awesome to see the No B.S. Reed Smile
Mini Elsinore
12/18/2010 6:35am
Faceaz wrote:
The foam deals work great, I think Millsaps wore them allot groing up. IMO, I'd much rather have a broken clavical over a broken neck. I...
The foam deals work great, I think Millsaps wore them allot groing up. IMO, I'd much rather have a broken clavical over a broken neck. I think everyone should be wearing something & the foam is probably pretty good protection for the neck, with less chance of breaking a clavical.
Millsaps had padding zip-tied to the bottom of his helmet during his amateur days. It wasn't pretty......
Mini Elsinore
12/18/2010 6:37am
Millsaps had padding zip-tied to the bottom of his helmet during his amateur days. It wasn't pretty...... His AGV looks much better-----good morning Shenzi.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1233rd
12/18/2010 6:47am
g'morning Elsinore! Smile

12/18/2010 6:55am
Hmmm....could you imagine what they would have broke other than the clavical had they NOT been wearing the brace? It's like the idiots that argue"well if he wasn't wearing a seatbelt he wouldn't have gotten whiplash so bad"....duh, he would have broke his neck when it slammed the windshield/roof of the car. I think when you FIRST put a Leatt on it feels restrictive but as soon as you ride 2 laps you don't even know it's there.......do you really think Eric Saunders would be better off had he not warn a Leatt? I bet he'd be dead or a Quadropalegic....people are just stubborn. People don't wear chest protectors because it "looks" cool. Do you REALLY think it slows you down? I'd gladly thank my kidney protector, chest protector, Leatt brace and Gaerne boots for saving me several times.......saved me lots of [pain as well. Seriously though, do you think Twitch would be wearing on at Xgames doing all those acrobatic moves if they were restrictive? Turbo
12/18/2010 7:24am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2010 7:25am
Faceaz wrote:
The foam deals work great, I think Millsaps wore them allot groing up. IMO, I'd much rather have a broken clavical over a broken neck. I...
omit
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/18/2010 7:45am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2010 7:46am
dv12.com wrote:
How about the guys that wear neither?

I think the guys who don't wear a chest-pro are nuts. DV, I was at the 2007 Phoenix SX (I'm pretty sure it was that race) when you racked the crap out of yourself on the triple and I think slammed your chest and maybe got some bruised or broken ribs. I remember thinking you would have been better off if you had a chest protector. If I'm not mistaken you wore one for a time after that to protect your already bruised ribs. Not trying to bust your balls but I think it's crazy not to wear one.
Roscoe33
12/18/2010 8:26am
You are transferring force... there are so many variables in where that force ends up.
objective study ?
how many hours has Chad put in vs some lab study ?

all a study tells you is what company has money to burn ,

what do you want the study to say about neck braces ?
Matthes
12/18/2010 8:34am
I would just love to see an independent lab test these things out to see what/how/if they work. I have no clue, just wondering and hoping to see one of these tests one day.

I believe, I could be wrong, that Chad's reluctance to wear a brace comes from the fact that Andrew McFarlane passed away on the track and he was wearing one.
Trent179
12/18/2010 9:02am
dv12.com wrote:
I thought a chest protector really just guarded the roost from you?
Zycki11
12/18/2010 9:21am
I agree with Matthes, if you give the "consumer" a substantial independent outside source test then we all can sleep better. These things are not cheap for the weekend warrior. I started with a Leatt and switched to the Alpinestar simply because it was more comfortable, and allowed much more movement in my head to swivel. However, Chad got these for free so there is a large underlining issue there. Be that as it may he is his own man, just like you or i. Make a decision, and stick to your guns until information is provided to prove otherwise.
nwmx
12/18/2010 9:33am
those foam ones would not do shit if you landed on your head those are just for collarbones. i wore one before my leatt and never was a fan, too hot and would always rub the sides of my neck raw.
12/18/2010 10:06am
sure they study the cervical part of the spine, but what about the force onto the thoracic, like where eric and i both broke our spines.
DavidR
12/18/2010 10:16am
dv12.com wrote:
I wear a chest pro and Leatt every time I ride. I went down six weeks ago in a slow right hand corner when my front end washed out and broke two ribs while wearing my chest pro. I'm now wondering what's the point of wearing a chest pro? People talk about wanting to see independent scientific research to support the Leatt and A Star. I think it's nearly impossible to provide an exacting scientific research to support the Leatt and A Star. To do that you'd have to have the exact same rider going the exact same speed having the exact same get off and driving themselves in to the ground at the exact same angle two times, once with neck protection and once without. You'd have to continue to do this exercise until that exact rider injured themself. Obviously, this is an impossible test and not one anybody would sign up for so I think you're left with this: you either believe in the theory that neck protection offers you some benefit by limiting extreme movement from side to side and front to back and you wear one or you don't believe in it so you don't. What kind and how much protection you wear is an individual choice and it comes down to what you believe in and what you don't.
Slow
12/18/2010 10:20am
When i get run over by other bikes my chest protector make me feel safer.

Post a reply to: Reed and no neck brace

The Latest