Recent MX trip to California with RaceSoCal.com

huck
Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 2:20pm
What a trip. Everything was perfect!!!!

We flew out to LAX from STL.Got there and then headed to the car rental. We already had a reservation so we proceeded to the line....an hour and half later, we had our car.

The guy that was traveling with me had never been there, so we headed to the beach and the pier.

Then we had to drive to Blomington to pick up our gear bags at the FedEx hub. I can't believe you people out there live in that F-ing traffic!! No thanks!!!

So we get the bags, pick up the Pirate who had been out there for meetings and head to our house with racesocal.com. It was in Murrieta. We pulled up to a nice big 5 bedroom house with a pool in the back yard.

Thursday we loaded up and went to Glen Helen for practice day.

I was so surprised that the National Pros practice at the same time, with goons and all! That seems like a huge risk for them, and I was extremely disappointed that they had NO medical and NO flaggers. The track was OK, nothing too special. I've been to 3 national tracks (Millville, Red Bud, and Glen Helen). The two midwest tracks were head and shoulders above GH.

There were several top pros riding...

A couple of me and my friends...

pirate...

I went looking for Stewart and was going to get a picture with him, and tell him that I was his NUMBER one fan...but he left early. I did meet this guy and chatted for a while. He was super nice and seemed like he truly enjoyed being there and hanging out talking.

After riding we loaded up and went to Chap-moto. Was impressed at the sheer size and amount of stuff they have...but everything was retail....

The next day we went to Milestone.

I really like the tracks here. Much more fun than Glen Helen. We turned a lot of laps and had a blast...even hanging with Jeff Emig for a while, discussing the old tracks in the Midwest.

I even busted some freestyle out there...

After Milestone we went to Troy Lee.

Next day we rode at Cahuilla Creek. Had a blast there and enjoyed the track. Several very fast guys there.

After Cahuilla Creek we went to Motogeezers for a great dinner....
We tried to entice Big Lenny, but even the best bait couldn't get him there....

The final day we went to Lake Elsinore. We had to fly at 4pm, so we were only riding to noon. The tracks there were fun, but the main track was VERY wet at the beginning of the day. I was extremely pleased to see that out of all the tracks we rode, they are the only ones that had flaggers (other than one Finish Line at Cahuilla creek).

All in all it was an absolute blast.
I'd definitely recommend www.racesocal.com if you're ever looking into doing something like this.

|
JeepnMike
6/18/2014 11:01am
That sounds like a dream vacation for a lot of us.. Thanks for sharing Cool
6/18/2014 11:21am
Great report! Thanks for sharing. I end up down that way every couple of years and am always happy to see Emig still out there flat slaying it Smile Was he hauling or what?
huck
6/18/2014 11:30am
Great report! Thanks for sharing. I end up down that way every couple of years and am always happy to see Emig still out there flat...
Great report! Thanks for sharing. I end up down that way every couple of years and am always happy to see Emig still out there flat slaying it Smile Was he hauling or what?
He was definitely hauling (super smooth)....and did several motos. He said that he drops his kids at school, then rides until it's time to go pick them up.
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:34am
huck wrote:
He was definitely hauling (super smooth)....and did several motos. He said that he drops his kids at school, then rides until it's time to go pick...
He was definitely hauling (super smooth)....and did several motos. He said that he drops his kids at school, then rides until it's time to go pick them up.
Damn, that sounds like the life right there! Good on ya, Fro

The Shop

Trav138
6/18/2014 11:38am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 11:39am
Awesome Huck. What specifically did you not care for at GH. You compared them to Red Bud and Millville were the soil is legendary. I have never been there and the place looks so awesome in photos, tv, etc.. Was it the layout, soil, riders? Just curious man, i would like to head out to CA for some riding in the future. Thanks
Big Lenny
6/18/2014 11:50am
Damn, man looks like you had a great time I got that chicken pic but had fell asleep and told Geeze I'd be callin' but I was out of town for a graduation...Blush
RMT
6/18/2014 12:00pm
What? You are telling us that Stewart and Dungey went out on a track without Dr. Bodnar being there with the semi? OMG! lol

Glad you had fun and it was a safe week. LA traffic does suck, especially the 405.
MarkF
6/18/2014 12:00pm
Looks and sounds like a great time . Good for you.
huck
6/18/2014 12:34pm
Trav138 wrote:
Awesome Huck. What specifically did you not care for at GH. You compared them to Red Bud and Millville were the soil is legendary. I have...
Awesome Huck. What specifically did you not care for at GH. You compared them to Red Bud and Millville were the soil is legendary. I have never been there and the place looks so awesome in photos, tv, etc.. Was it the layout, soil, riders? Just curious man, i would like to head out to CA for some riding in the future. Thanks
It was cool and all, just not near as "fantastic" as the Glen Helen lovers proclaim (but I don't get the 2 stroke love either). We only did about 60% of the main track...
The soil is shale/sand/granite...It got rough, and pushed way out (because of the level of riders there). The layout was pretty easy, with only one "big jump". I believe for the national it was the big triple stepup, but now it's just a big table top....other than that, everything else was super easy.

Besides the pros (RD5, JS7, M Stewart, MA800, Seely, Anderson, Bowers, Wey, JW12, KC11, Josh Hill, BB4, Weston, and others), the level seemed very fast. I'd say most riders were strong intermediate and above....and again, it was everybody out there together. Stewart was passing guys that wouldn't win the local D class....

huck
6/18/2014 12:35pm
Big Lenny wrote:
Damn, man looks like you had a great time I got that chicken pic but had fell asleep and told Geeze I'd be callin' but I...
Damn, man looks like you had a great time I got that chicken pic but had fell asleep and told Geeze I'd be callin' but I was out of town for a graduation...Blush
Lame excuse! You just didn't want to pay me my money!!!!
Homey55
6/18/2014 2:20pm
Nice report! Emig is one of the nicest guys you could talk to. I used to run into him all the time when I lived down there and he was always just a normal guy who loves the sport!

Post a reply to: Recent MX trip to California with RaceSoCal.com

The Latest