Realistic costs of maintaining and operating MX track

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:03pm
Was talking to my buddy today, and he was going on and on about how profitable MX tracks must be, and that the only reason everyone isn't in the business is because you need a large amount of capital for the initial start up to get things going.

So I guess it just got me thinking, realistically, what are the main things you have to have consider?

Is start up capital that important? I'm not a business major, but I can guess that it would probably take a couple months before you start actually making money...

$$$$

-Insurance
-Paying EMT's
-Buying property
-Competent staff
-Track maintenance

What else is there to consider?
|
CamP
9/13/2011 8:24am
Operating a motocross track is nothing more than a labor of love. It requires a lot of money up front, a keen sense of where to spend that money and a work ethic that borders on masochism. Even then, you are lucky to make enough money to keep your head above water.
mattmatt300
9/13/2011 8:34am
it would be really hard to do without owning the land beforehand imho
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/13/2011 8:37am
Equipment to maintain the track (very expensive), diesel fuel for said equipment, either water lines that run through out the track that the flaggers have to use to water, or water trucks which require a drop tank usually to fill them the most conveniently. Flagging staff and office staff (booth workers maybe even a manager unless the owner does that him or herself.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/13/2011 8:39am
Medical supplies for the EMT's, renting porta potties, fencing or some kind of banners for around the track, usually fencing to separate the track area from parking. If the land doesn't already have it u might need to build buildings, such as a sign in booth, and a score tower with enough room to do race signups. PA system for races so u can make announcements
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/13/2011 8:41am
If u do a night practice deal u need some sorta of lighting and generator (plus fuel for the generator) to run it, and it takes a pretty good sized generator to run any sort of stadium lighting.
YAKMX
9/13/2011 8:41am
CamP wrote:
Operating a motocross track is nothing more than a labor of love. It requires a lot of money up front, a keen sense of where to...
Operating a motocross track is nothing more than a labor of love. It requires a lot of money up front, a keen sense of where to spend that money and a work ethic that borders on masochism. Even then, you are lucky to make enough money to keep your head above water.
Plus you have to deal with local governments,surrounding land owners and the EPA. Also a lot of high dollar equipment as in dozers ,loaders ,tractors,and a watering system. Along with that you need capable people to run this equipment and people who can maintain it. And as with any business you need to figure the 5 year plan(if you are lucky) before you might make a profit of any significance. That is if you aren't totally nuts by then.Laughing Oh yeah I forgot,Electricity,computers,quality p.a. system,concession stand,and a good announcer ( they don't work for free.)Wink
Jharper
9/13/2011 8:42am
Durhamtown has 9 mx tracks flat track drag strip 150 miles of trails

6000 acres

I assure you there is very little profit in running a track only the cabins / proshop/ service center/ resturant has positive cash flow

the track is just to get them on the property

exact same plan as a golf course or ski resort

mike

Durhamtown
RACEGUY
9/13/2011 9:11am
A couple of MONTHS, Patrick? If there's some kind of positive cash-flow, it's year 4 or 5 at best. Then the money starts going back to repairs and improvements almost immediately.

By my calculations, on-track personnel at a race at my local track (Riverglade), is a minimum of $1550 before a nickel is recovered at the gate. This includes flaggers, finish or start line official, a referee, and staging. (Actually, it just happens that one of the track owners is the senior referee in the region, so he actually doesn't charge himself. Otherwise, most situations come with a referee cost of, at least, $300.00. Fuel and lodgings may add to that.)

This track is also lucky enough to have a tractor and ATV dealer as one of the principals, and an excavation contractor as another of the owners' group. Therefore, they don't pay an equipment operator. In-ground watering means no track guys to water when needed.

Beyond all that, there are paid personnel at the admissions gate, rider registration, and 2 teams of lap-scorers. That's close to another grand before they even call the riders' meeting.

As everyone here knows......I could go on. I'll see what responses this brings first.

CHEERS, all!
9/13/2011 9:13am
Because of all that has been said (100% accurate) the fact is there will be less public tracks 5yrs from now! Don't forget that you can loose everything that you have worked for on any day that you are open! All it takes is one idiot and a lawyer willing to take a BS case. The $20 or $30 bucks to ride is the best money ever spent!
Sondy132001
9/13/2011 9:17am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2011 9:22am
Utilities...electric, water, and fuel too Porta potties, Heavy equipment, up keep on heavy equipment, employees, your time, you have to be married to the place, dirt farmer is hard work ! He, my Brother Marc, built a Carlsbad Replica track and it probably cost him between $45-60,000 dollars ! He has 7 tracks at his facility. Trash, trash cans, signs, grading pits, grading roads to get in, you have to do it constantly. He has one pond, he's building a 2nd, 3 times the size of the first. Trust me it ain't cheap. Well and up keep of well. Buildings on property. Announcing tower, speakers, wiring, poles, microphone and the equipment to make that microphone work...The fuel/diesel bill alone a month would make you shit, what happens when it rains and you can't run ? Lights...the list goes on. We've had a few tracks. Oh plants and shrubs, my brother planted 800 trees...Lake Elsinore is planting 500 trees as we speak. Fencing, chain link ain't cheap. My brother owns 10 pieces of heavy equipment, you have to insure it and bond it.

S
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
9/13/2011 9:18am
There is also the cost of the initial build out. The amount you would have to put out upfront before the first bike hits the gate is astronomical. Then on top of it, if you rent or lease the land, you can end up like Grindingstone in AZ, who got sued, even though it was thrown out of court, the landowners (in this case an Indian Tribe) shut it down. So there is zero profit and all loss. A lot of tracks also need sponsors, local shops, etc who want to advertise at the track. It takes time for those people to show up, they want to see riders out there before they advertise. Unless you are really lucky to get someone who wants to use the track during the down time for testing, private practice, etc, all the time the track sits idle still costs you money.
huck
9/13/2011 9:20am
taxes
advertising
water
electric
porta-crappers
lawyer
crusher773
9/13/2011 9:25am
Yeah its not anything you can get rich at unless you have unlimited capital. The only way you can get it to make any money is to throw more money at it. Don't quit your day job hoping it will pay the bills because it will never happen.
Sondy132001
9/13/2011 9:29am
crusher773 wrote:
Yeah its not anything you can get rich at unless you have unlimited capital. The only way you can get it to make any money is...
Yeah its not anything you can get rich at unless you have unlimited capital. The only way you can get it to make any money is to throw more money at it. Don't quit your day job hoping it will pay the bills because it will never happen.
You can pay the bills, but you have to make a good place where all classes of riders can come to and have fun, plus put in kick ass events. But that all comes to play if people like your product !

Oh and when you have a facility like this you need someone to live on the property to keep the crazies out and from screwing shit up !! You know some people have no respect for others property.

S
Cygnus
9/13/2011 9:39am
The old saying the best way to make a million dollars in the motocross business is to start with two million applies to tracks more than any of the moto businesses you can venture into.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
9/13/2011 9:41am
My dad is a heavy equipment mechanic how could i forget... the cost of upkeeping your equipment is crazy! Even the best equipment blows a hose every couple of weeks, constantly stuff wears out (especially if u have an idiot running it)... and they are expensive to fix...
9/13/2011 10:10am
I am curious if there are many club owned tracks? Hangtown is right? We have two up here in Washington that have been here forever, is it even possible to get something like that started nowadays? I spent some time in Denmark and it seemed like every track there was a club owned one. It seems like the best scenario to me. Pay your dues, club members do the work, you ride pretty much when you want. Anybody have experience with this?
Sondy132001
9/13/2011 10:14am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2011 10:14am
I am curious if there are many club owned tracks? Hangtown is right? We have two up here in Washington that have been here forever, is...
I am curious if there are many club owned tracks? Hangtown is right? We have two up here in Washington that have been here forever, is it even possible to get something like that started nowadays? I spent some time in Denmark and it seemed like every track there was a club owned one. It seems like the best scenario to me. Pay your dues, club members do the work, you ride pretty much when you want. Anybody have experience with this?
Hangtown is not club owned, Scott Davis has the lease, Dirt Diggers just get it for the National.

S
Sondy132001
9/13/2011 10:15am
I am curious if there are many club owned tracks? Hangtown is right? We have two up here in Washington that have been here forever, is...
When my dad started CMC it was a club, people came up with excuses why they couldn't show up to clean the weeds etc, so him and Kelvin Franks, made CMC un-clubbed =)

S
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/13/2011 10:31am
Oh, and don't forget dealing with the constant complaining of prima donna riders. A-riders want bigger jumps. Novices want smaller jumps. Some people say don't ever knock the berms down while others want the track ripped and tilled between every moto. Some people want the dirt super deep yet you have to allow PW50's to still get around the track. Bikers hate quads yet the track owner hates to turn any entry money away. Everybody hates dust almost as much as they hate sitting around waiting for the water truck to get done. You can't make everyone happy yet you need to in order to bring in enough revenue.
9/13/2011 10:35am
When my dad started CMC it was a club, people came up with excuses why they couldn't show up to clean the weeds etc, so him...
When my dad started CMC it was a club, people came up with excuses why they couldn't show up to clean the weeds etc, so him and Kelvin Franks, made CMC un-clubbed =)

S
yeah I guess probably better in theory than practice. If it is like anything else !0% of the people do 90% of the work.
JustMX
9/13/2011 10:42am
Here is the simple formula to use to make a business plan for running a track.

Take all the income that you figure you will have coming in from all sources ranging from rider fees and track rentals to selling aluminum cans.

Now cut that in half. That is W.

Now take all the expenses mentioned here, total them up.

Now double it. This is H.

Subtract H from W which will give you Y.

Formula is W-H=Y

As in W-H=Y in the hell would anybody even think about getting into the Motocross business right now?
dboivin
9/13/2011 10:44am
buy track or create track. start Motorcycle club. IMO best way to pull it off.
dboivin
9/13/2011 10:48am
member of one here in michigan. I think there is 3 total tracks in michigan that are club owned

polka dots MC
Bulldogs MC
Portland Trail Riders MC

all of them operate much like you described. each one has different rules for their members. PDMC doesn't allow guests at all, Bulldogs allows 1 guest per member to ride there, not sure how Portland handles it. At PDMC, working the races gives you credit toward your dues....I like this model. People show up to work the races. Not sure how the others handle it.
mxtech1
9/13/2011 10:54am
i have a 2 mile private track that we maintain ourselves on our 200 acre family owned property. What we have for equipment is a 1954 Ford 8n, a 5 foot disc, 5 foot harrow, a blade, and a bobcat. It takes alot of time to keep the track nice with such small equipment, but it can be done. The only thing I feel we really hurt for is a dozer. Our track is all natural terrain jumps and elevation. It's fun, but sometimes I wish we did have a dozer to put in some table tops, rollers, etc. But any decent old dozer would set us back $20 grand easily. However, having a dozer would probably open up so many more options for the track. It's almost a 1 day project to build a double take-off and landing with our bobcat because it takes so long to scrape dirt and move it in the bucket. a dozer could probably build the same jump in about 2 hours or less.

I know what it takes to cut a track in and build. If I could buy the equipment I wanted it would probably be something like this:
Cat D5 dozer - $25,000
80's Farmall tractor at least 85hp - $10,000
8 ft disc - $2,000
8 ft harrow - $2,000
6 ft power tiller - $4,000
Tracked skid steer - $15,000
Water truck- $10 to $20,000

All these prices are estimated on the low side. A guy could easily wrap up $100k in equipment right away. And to add to that, most large tracks have several pieces of each equipment.

It just depends how you want to go about it. It can be done on a budget like we did with our old Ford tractor and small implements and a bobcat. We probably only have about $12,000 wrapped up in the equipment we use. It's taken us about 3 years of continuous improvement and riding to really get the track to flow nice and build up natural berms. On the other hand though, we couldn't hold a race because the track is located in pasture off a beaten road.

Location and land has alot to do with it. I think our property is about the right size to house a national-caliber track, but it wouldnt be spectator friendly. Buying a piece of land that already has nice views, rolling hills, and big open spaces for parking (i basically just described what a crop field looks like.) Around here tillable land is going for $3 to 8,000 per acre. You can do the math, but 2-300 acres for an mx facility = alot of money.
captmoto
9/13/2011 10:56am
How about the permit/EIR/public surveys etc before you can even put a course marker in. Tons of money before you can even stick a shovel in the ground. And if it never gets past the government and planning comittees it money down the shitter.
Cygnus
9/13/2011 11:07am
captmoto wrote:
How about the permit/EIR/public surveys etc before you can even put a course marker in. Tons of money before you can even stick a shovel in...
How about the permit/EIR/public surveys etc before you can even put a course marker in. Tons of money before you can even stick a shovel in the ground. And if it never gets past the government and planning comittees it money down the shitter.
It was close to 10k for permits to open up to the public here in elpaso county Colorado.as long as I stay with the private club I need no permits. So that's how I am doing it for now. I will eventually do all the permits and studies that new to w done once the economy turns around and the races start to bring back the 500 entry days like we used to get here.
Sondy132001
9/13/2011 11:08am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2011 11:11am
and I forgot a 40+ man backwards falling starting gate...go price one of those babies ! have more than one track ? yep.

S
mxtech1
9/13/2011 11:25am
I'm also a member to our local MC club. Members pay yearly dues, must work 25 hours per year on work days, which are the upcoming days before an event to prep the facility, and attend all the races to work an assignment. We have about 50 members so it helps, but it's usually about the same 10-20 guys doing all the work and prep because they are the ones who love it and care about the club, grounds, and events. The other members are just there to give their kid a place to ride and hangout.

Each race is about a $3,000 invesment which includes, EMT service, event insurance, food for concessions, port a poop rentals, and trophies. There is usually about $1,500 put up for purse for paying classes which is added to rider entry fees to make purse.

Rider entry fees don't make much money but they usally cover initial costs when all is said and done. The realy money-maker is having a good spectator turnout and sell alot of concession products. Fun events that are well promoted and prompt great spectator turnouts are the only way to make profits.

Post a reply to: Realistic costs of maintaining and operating MX track

The Latest