Ransom bikes KX500AF "UPDATED"

TractionMX
Edited Date/Time 12/14/2017 7:15pm
We would like to announce that we will be involved with a stellar bike build that you guys will not want to miss. World renown bike builder Wayne ransom Wayneransom.com and @the_kings_ransom on Instagram will be building a late model KX500AF with a boat load of handmade titanium goodness. "Yes, of course there will be a hand made titanium cone pipe involved" We will be gathering a bunch of great sponsors that will be included in the build. Ransom has also dedicated an Instagram page that will be posting step by step progress of the build. This can be seen at @ransom_KX500Af_build on Instagram. We cannot wait to see this come together stay tuned

|
mikec265
12/16/2016 8:14pm
Looking forward to seeing this more than most other builds.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
12/17/2016 3:41am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2016 3:56am
Sweet, the IG account is mint for this. Some seriously skilled work going on in it, I like very much.
slowgti
12/17/2016 7:17am
Awesome! Gave you a follow

The Shop

TractionMX
12/17/2016 9:11am
We are doing a LIVE FEED from our instagram account @Tractionmx at 1pm est. From @the_kings_ransoms home shop for a little tour and some Q/A be sure to check it out
FWYT
12/17/2016 9:27am
Now THIS is sweet! >>> @ransom_KX500Af_build
Not just bolt on garbage and graphics but actual machine
work and bringing it back from the dead. That oil drain hole
damage and repair was great.
MXATC
Fantasy
2394th
12/17/2016 9:35am
Can I be the first to test ride it? That maybe more than I can handle!
mwssquad827
12/17/2016 1:19pm
Can someone post a link?? I tried to look it up but no bueno
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
12/17/2016 3:16pm
Wow! Some incredible vision and execution!
TractionMX
1/29/2017 4:56pm
A little update this build has come a long way already the Titanium subframe is complete and Frame and engine mount all completed. There are a lot of photos in the bike build section. Or you can go to the instagram feed for complete step by step of the build. Ti gastank and cone pipe are up next! https://www.instagram.com/ransom_kx500af_build/

1/29/2017 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2017 5:19pm
The KX500 engine is actually a much better engine than the popular CR500 engine because of the exhaust valve on the KX. I have had both bikes and the KX has a longer smoother pull because of the exhaust valve. It is an important evolution in 2 stroke engines. This will be an awesome bike.
rancor19
1/29/2017 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2017 5:57pm
TractionMX wrote:
We would like to announce that we will be involved with a stellar bike build that you guys will not want to miss. World renown bike...
We would like to announce that we will be involved with a stellar bike build that you guys will not want to miss. World renown bike builder Wayne ransom Wayneransom.com and @the_kings_ransom on Instagram will be building a late model KX500AF with a boat load of handmade titanium goodness. "Yes, of course there will be a hand made titanium cone pipe involved" We will be gathering a bunch of great sponsors that will be included in the build. Ransom has also dedicated an Instagram page that will be posting step by step progress of the build. This can be seen at @ransom_KX500Af_build on Instagram. We cannot wait to see this come together stay tuned

Ugh.

Using a HSS ball mill on a manual knee mill to make 'finishing touches' = Sick

j/k. I'm sure it'll look good in the end but somebody needs a CNC Cool
Bearuno
1/29/2017 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2017 11:13pm
rancor19 wrote:
Ugh. Using a HSS ball mill on a manual knee mill to make 'finishing touches' = :sick: j/k. I'm sure it'll look good in the end...
Ugh.

Using a HSS ball mill on a manual knee mill to make 'finishing touches' = Sick

j/k. I'm sure it'll look good in the end but somebody needs a CNC Cool
There's nothing wrong with 'turning handles'.

Hell, I've done things with my old mill and lathes, that would give purists / shop teachers fits - and, indeed, myself. You do what you have to / need to do. And be bloody careful when you are breaking the rules .......... Blush

You use what tools / Equipment you have - though, this builder looks to be not lacking in machinery, and funds.

AFs - at the most basic level, a set of files, a drill / drill press, a hacksaw, and a TIG welder is the most a skilled person, or a person just having a go at getting skills, needs. Research your / the original materials, and use / treat them accordingly. It's not rocket science, though some will make you think it is.

I've seen utter shit made by companies ( who've done so for many years, with them making a lot of $$$$$$ from their sub standard work), and individuals.

I've also seen absolute works of art, made by both the categories above. The best I've ever seen, has come from individuals, that did superb work, for themselves.
Katoomey
1/30/2017 12:07am
i would be more inspired by this project if they we're fabbing a counterbalancer...titanium this and that is cool, but what are they doing to make it a "better" motorcycle?

And a titanium expansion chamber? whos gonna wanna take that out in the dirt and rocks? and is this even a tuned exhaust or just a guess at the shape and hope it works "ok"? It just seems like more flash than substance.

For me, AF500's aren't really that great. They're better in fantasy than in reality. I really didn't like mine. It just vibrated way too much and really hated anything technical. It was a cool bike to own, but I never really wanted to ride it. I got way more enjoyment out of normal CR500.

I'm sure it will be a cool bike, I just don't really get the point. But, then again I'm disillusioned with the concept. carry-on...
rancor19
1/31/2017 2:02am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 2:32am
Bearuno wrote:
There's nothing wrong with 'turning handles'. Hell, I've done things with my old mill and lathes, that would give purists / shop teachers fits - and...
There's nothing wrong with 'turning handles'.

Hell, I've done things with my old mill and lathes, that would give purists / shop teachers fits - and, indeed, myself. You do what you have to / need to do. And be bloody careful when you are breaking the rules .......... Blush

You use what tools / Equipment you have - though, this builder looks to be not lacking in machinery, and funds.

AFs - at the most basic level, a set of files, a drill / drill press, a hacksaw, and a TIG welder is the most a skilled person, or a person just having a go at getting skills, needs. Research your / the original materials, and use / treat them accordingly. It's not rocket science, though some will make you think it is.

I've seen utter shit made by companies ( who've done so for many years, with them making a lot of $$$$$$ from their sub standard work), and individuals.

I've also seen absolute works of art, made by both the categories above. The best I've ever seen, has come from individuals, that did superb work, for themselves.
I'm not really knocking it. Just picky is all...

But... I never understood why, as I've seen it before, anyone would use a ball mill to make an edge-break - it just creates another sharp corner at the bottom. On a part like a motor mount, vibration will find those sharp corners and eventually cause stress cracks. A chamfer mill(1/2" in this case) is the way to go(center point [of the radius] to center point). More sound and it'd look better as there'd be no need for that over-cut into the corners(which may have been a mistake and then matched on the other corner - who knows what's going on there). Or, interpolate/CNC Tongue

Again tho, when all said and done, I'm sure it's gonna be sweet!
Bearuno
1/31/2017 4:32am Edited Date/Time 1/31/2017 7:24pm
Don't get me wrong - I'm not 'swooning' over this blokes efforts like so many are. It's certainly an exercise in promotion. And that's, fair enough. No point in hiding your light, under a bushel as the old saying goes.

But, I have done quite a few, non by the book, machining operations over more than 4 decades of engineering. And , have had no failures from said operations.

I do admit, I tend to bristle at the near slavish worship of the CNCing of parts. Especially basic parts, with no quantity to them. The amount of times I've seen people foaming at the mouth in lust of crapily done 'CNC' parts, is near endless. I've largely refused friends requests to do AFs for them over the last few years, but with a couple that I owe so much (not financially, but as good friends) to, I agreed to just do the labour on their AFs, with my recommending kits that had a pretty good rep. To then find they were rather sub standard, and having to replace crap CNC'd bits, with humbly hand made, yet safe, quality parts.

Yes, I am an old curmudgeon.
rancor19
2/1/2017 6:59am Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 7:06am
Well,... I realize, on one-off projects, prints are few and far-between but, if there's anything I can help you with (CNC mill-wise) just gimme a holler.

Will work for free(for moto) Cool Satisfaction guaranteed...

BTW, I really want to be in S.Australia in June for vacation. How's the weather there/then?
TractionMX
3/14/2017 7:43am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2017 7:44am
Updated photos. Titanium handmade gas tank is just about finished. Some one off custom Ksr wheels/Sm pro are also being made. Dirt Bike magazine will also be covering this build.

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
3/14/2017 10:10pm
Not sure why anyone would put smpro rims on such a pristine bike.
TractionMX
6/7/2017 3:28pm
A little update on this build, Titanium gastank is about 90% finished, Flush mount cap is being machined. Clutch cover Mod has been done. Custom one off kickstarter has been made. Next up is a Titanium handmade cone pipe. You can also follow updates on instagram @RANSOM_KX500AF_BUILD

sickboy3636
6/7/2017 4:02pm
Sooooooooooooooooo sick!!!!!!!! Some stellar machine work here. How did you actually shape the contour of the Kickstarter? All by hand?

Post a reply to: Ransom bikes KX500AF "UPDATED"

The Latest