Raise your hand if you knew Dungey would someday win multiple titles prior to 2007

MotoMalyDad
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 9:12am
With all the hyped up "next ones" that go through the ranks , who outside of Minnesota saw RD5 and said wow this guy will be a multiple champion some year ? How did "The Man" pick him to bring up over all the other hyped up fast kids . If "The Man" didn't see something, where would he be today ? Pouring concrete and racing weekends in the summer ?
|
NotCore
6/5/2016 7:34am
Of course I did not know this, but I do remember Dungey hanging tight and mixing it up in the RV/Townley battles 2007 outdoors and it was pretty clear he was special too.
kkawboy14
6/5/2016 7:36am
With all the hyped up "next ones" that go through the ranks , who outside of Minnesota saw RD5 and said wow this guy will be...
With all the hyped up "next ones" that go through the ranks , who outside of Minnesota saw RD5 and said wow this guy will be a multiple champion some year ? How did "The Man" pick him to bring up over all the other hyped up fast kids . If "The Man" didn't see something, where would he be today ? Pouring concrete and racing weekends in the summer ?
I thought it was Carmichael that was the one who had seen the potential in that B rider?

The Shop

6/5/2016 7:56am
He's the only guy I never heard of and raced him many times in amatuers looking back at results. Millsapps, lichtle, Boni, villopoto and alessi were kids thought to be the stars. when he won his first championship I was like Ryan who? Dude just flew right under the radar! I like the guy.
kongols
6/5/2016 7:59am
With all the hyped up "next ones" that go through the ranks , who outside of Minnesota saw RD5 and said wow this guy will be...
kkawboy14 wrote:
I thought it was Carmichael that was the one who had seen the potential in that B rider?
It was someone on a team Suzuki who suggested him to Decoster. From what I understand it wasn`t Decoster in a first place and sure wasn`t RC.
Krazyk2774
6/5/2016 8:31am
I have been a fan since Washougal in 2007. While I didn't think about multiple titles, I did see a kid ride his heart out trying to catch Villopoto that day. I knew he had something special and after a brief chat with him I have been a big fan every since!
Also that day J Law was hitting corners harder than anybody else, I was so impressed and I figured he was gonna be big in the sport I think he could have been a multi time champ too. He had the talent, just missing some of the other things that it takes to be a multi time champ . The Dunge deserves all his success, he has worked damm hard for it!!!
agn5009
6/5/2016 8:33am
kkawboy14 wrote:
kongols wrote:
It was someone on a team Suzuki who suggested him to Decoster. From what I understand it wasn`t Decoster in a first place and sure wasn`t...
It was someone on a team Suzuki who suggested him to Decoster. From what I understand it wasn`t Decoster in a first place and sure wasn`t RC.
I had also heard it was RC. I heard it went something like, hey Rodger you gotta check this kid out. Bring him down the farm and watch him ride. And the rest is history.

Could be totally wrong though.
6/5/2016 9:06am
He kicked some serious ass in the b class at red bud on a 2 stroke 125. That's when people really started noticing, as the legend goes.

Best guy to ask about this is Bruce. He's gotta be lurking. BRUCE!!! catch us up. The guy is an amatuer Mx encyclopedia.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/5/2016 11:30am Edited Date/Time 6/5/2016 11:31am
I can add to this thread..... My son raced amateurs with Ryan and also rode on the Suzuki amateur team in '06-'07. In '06 they were both riding the B class and WBR Suzuki was grooming my kid for the Pro team. Ryan made the trip to Mammoth Mountain and all of the Suzuki riders pitted together. There was Jared Browne and Michael LaPaglua in the A class, along with a guest appearance by John Dowd that year. Along with Ryan, Ben LaMay and my son in the B class, there was a solid showing of Suzukis there.

After practice, Mike from Mammoth MX was getting a lot of greif from other B class riders about Ryan racing the B class and told him that if he wanted to race, he'd have to race the Pro class.... After a few phone calls, Ryan/ Suzuki decided to turn Pro that day. Ryan put in a SOLID ride and battled back and forth with McGrath for the win. MC won, but Ryan showed that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with. That's when I knew he would be a threat in a few years....
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
6/5/2016 11:56am
Same here. I was looking at some of my past race results the other day from 125 B and Schoolboy and saw Ryan Dungey in there. It took me by total surprise.
MotoMalyDad
6/5/2016 12:34pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
I have been a fan since Washougal in 2007. While I didn't think about multiple titles, I did see a kid ride his heart out trying...
I have been a fan since Washougal in 2007. While I didn't think about multiple titles, I did see a kid ride his heart out trying to catch Villopoto that day. I knew he had something special and after a brief chat with him I have been a big fan every since!
Also that day J Law was hitting corners harder than anybody else, I was so impressed and I figured he was gonna be big in the sport I think he could have been a multi time champ too. He had the talent, just missing some of the other things that it takes to be a multi time champ . The Dunge deserves all his success, he has worked damm hard for it!!!
Isn't it funny J Law comes up time to time when talking about Dungey in the 250 class. Now there is one rider on the other end of the spectrum .
Krazyk2774
6/5/2016 12:49pm
Krazyk2774 wrote:
I have been a fan since Washougal in 2007. While I didn't think about multiple titles, I did see a kid ride his heart out trying...
Isn't it funny J Law comes up time to time when talking about Dungey in the 250 class. Now there is one rider on the other...
Isn't it funny J Law comes up time to time when talking about Dungey in the 250 class. Now there is one rider on the other end of the spectrum .
Yep they both caught my attention that day J Law for his talent and Ryan for his heart. Also Ryan was so humble and nice when I met him I have been a huge Dungey fan every since. I have always liked watching him race for the win and how he never gives up! That to me is what makes a champion.
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
6/6/2016 4:54am
He kicked some serious ass in the b class at red bud on a 2 stroke 125. That's when people really started noticing, as the legend...
He kicked some serious ass in the b class at red bud on a 2 stroke 125. That's when people really started noticing, as the legend goes.

Best guy to ask about this is Bruce. He's gotta be lurking. BRUCE!!! catch us up. The guy is an amatuer Mx encyclopedia.
I watched him at B class regionals at Redbud. He was on a 250f. 2006 I guess cause he went from the B class straight to Team Suzuki and 07 was his rookie year. He was over half a lap ahead of 2nd place. His corner speed was incredible. I remember thinking he looked like a pro out there riding. Sure enough.
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
6/6/2016 4:55am
langhammx wrote:
I can add to this thread..... My son raced amateurs with Ryan and also rode on the Suzuki amateur team in '06-'07. In '06 they were...
I can add to this thread..... My son raced amateurs with Ryan and also rode on the Suzuki amateur team in '06-'07. In '06 they were both riding the B class and WBR Suzuki was grooming my kid for the Pro team. Ryan made the trip to Mammoth Mountain and all of the Suzuki riders pitted together. There was Jared Browne and Michael LaPaglua in the A class, along with a guest appearance by John Dowd that year. Along with Ryan, Ben LaMay and my son in the B class, there was a solid showing of Suzukis there.

After practice, Mike from Mammoth MX was getting a lot of greif from other B class riders about Ryan racing the B class and told him that if he wanted to race, he'd have to race the Pro class.... After a few phone calls, Ryan/ Suzuki decided to turn Pro that day. Ryan put in a SOLID ride and battled back and forth with McGrath for the win. MC won, but Ryan showed that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with. That's when I knew he would be a threat in a few years....
That's a pretty cool story, thanks.
Dtat720
6/6/2016 6:27am
Watch his episode of The Moto: Inside the Outdoors. They are on youtube. Dungy explains how he came to be under DeCoster. Carmichael started it, but I believe, if memory serves me correct, it was DeCosters chief mechanic that pestered him to watch this kid Dungy, watch his corners... DeCoster did and the rest is history.
adamdf
6/6/2016 7:29am
Dislaimer "not before 2007 but.."

I watched Dungey in Daytona and Orlando Supercross 2007, his rookie year, and right away it was obvious that he was extremely talented. He didn't win either of those races and actually crashed out of the Orlando round but his skills on the bike, how smooth he was, made it easy to predict he would have a bright future ahead of him.

Regis
Fantasy
340th
6/6/2016 7:33am
kkawboy14 wrote:
kongols wrote:
It was someone on a team Suzuki who suggested him to Decoster. From what I understand it wasn`t Decoster in a first place and sure wasn`t...
It was Cole Gress. Suzuki's amateur support guy.
Jt$
6/6/2016 7:36am
Regis wrote:
It was Cole Gress. Suzuki's amateur support guy.
This.
6/6/2016 7:43am
IMO

No I did not think he would win titles.

When I saw how weak minded he was while racing jlaw , I thought he was done!

I was wrong

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
6/6/2016 8:07am
Back when he signed with KTM I thought he would never even win another race Blush
kawasa84
6/6/2016 9:12am
lostboy819 wrote:
Back when he signed with KTM I thought he would never even win another race Blush
I questioned that move as well. How fast KTM developed, and Ryan started winning on it. That surprised me. The "new" 450 SX that had the faster revving 450 motor was a leap forward from the slower revving engine for sure. But Ryan and KTM, its been a great success. I, too, didn't see that coming. At least, not as fast as it did.
vschaik141
6/6/2016 3:49pm
Did not see that coming back then... did call my dog Dungey toh. She's 5 years old now. Does 2011 count? Ehehe
davistld01
6/6/2016 4:08pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Gotta admit, I was there too. I thought he had totally shot himself in the foot. Shows what I know...
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
6/6/2016 4:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2016 5:00pm
I did.

I watched McGrath ride at Perris in 88 and told everyone he was going to real fast too.

I also said Jeremy Martin would win when he was an amateur.
plowboy
6/6/2016 5:10pm
Roger never goes overboard with praise but he told me that first year at Suzuki that he thought Ryan would "develop into a good rider". Franchise rider is more like it. (He also thought that Pastromi guy should have been king of moto but that went sideways on him).

Post a reply to: Raise your hand if you knew Dungey would someday win multiple titles prior to 2007

The Latest