Racing on a budget- your opinion?

chuckie108
Edited Date/Time 1/2/2014 4:09pm
Started riding moto again 1.5 years ago after a 8 year break. Been loving every minute of it. Turned 40 this year and decided F' it, I'm going to LL's for the first time in 2014! One of the things that got me back into the sport was I had access to a '12 350SX. Rode that for 6 months before I had to give it back. Looked at getting a new bike at that time but the prices were out of my reach(this economy hasn't been nice to me). Instead of giving up, I begrudgingly resurrected a very clean and trick '03 CRF450. I say begrudgingly because riding a 10 year old bike seemed like it would be a big disadvantage to me. Too my surprise, the ol' CRF is a great bike and I felt on par with the KTM- at least at that stage of my riding. Fast forward one year, and one decision to go to LL's later, and I can't help but think better equipment might help my cause a little. I should also throw in that my fitness and speed have come up tremendously this last year.

A new bike is pretty much out of the question as I don't have the $8500 to spend considering my other financial obligations, plus the money I will be setting aside to pay for the trip in august. So here is my point of debate for you all- if you're looking to go racing, and the prime directive is bang for your buck- what would you do?

Do whatever you had to to buy a new bike- even if it meant outrageous financing?
Buy a clean used bike, newer than what I have, and dial it in- '06-'08 CRF? '09-'12 CRF? '06'-'09 YZ? '12 and up KX?, '09-'12 RMZ?
Stick with what I have('03 CRF450-RG3 clamps and Diamond Kit susp., Hamp motor, big brakes, etc.) and run with it but keep it fresh?

(side note- I am a mechanic, so there is no labor cost for me to rebuild bikes- I do all my own motors, suspension, wheels, etc.. Plus I used to work in the industry so I get great deals on parts, etc..)

What's everyone's take on this?

BTW- 2 stroke is off the table. ;-)
|
CamP
12/30/2013 11:44am
One of the local guys just picked up a virtually un-ridden 08 CRF450 for $2,500. As far as choosing a race bike on a budget, it doesn't get any better than that.
TNL830
12/30/2013 11:53am
If it's paid for and your running good on it keep it fresh and run it. Nothing wrong with that bike, a nice set of graphics, maybe cyrca stadium plate to make it look cleaner. If your trying to make LL save the money on getting that bike more dialed. Sounds like it's set up good now with a hamp motor and RG3 suspension. It's not the bike it's the rider.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
12/30/2013 11:56am
You are telling a similar story. I also sought out the opinions of the difference in newer equipment vs at the time 06 yz 450. I bought a new KTM 450 and at the end of the day it turned better, braked better, smoother crisp power, EFI is great, e start but.... For me my conclusion is a 450 is a 450 to most amateurs, its a heavy powerful machine like my 06.

Older bikes can simply be modified to your style and liking. Just think, get a slightly used 450 for say 4k, then take 3k and throw at it, badass bike right? Or atl east a slew of fresh rubber and oil. That being said, i have a 13 KTM 450 forsale with 11.5 hours on it! LOL!

I tell you the best deals i've seen lately are 11-13 yz 450s. I've seen them stock form barely used almost new for around 4k. I know the bike gets shit from super fast guys, but the motor and suspension are great.
Titan1
12/30/2013 11:59am
I race on a budget...I am all about clean (low hour...not just cleaned up) used bikes (no way in the world I can justify $9K on a new bike). I found a very low hour 09 YZ450 last year...and got a great deal on it, and it's an awesome bike. I'll probably never buy a new bike again (assuming I can find a clean low hour KTM 300XC some place...which isn't happening...so I'll probably have to buy a new one of those Tongue ), but besides that...clean used bikes are the way to go!

and if I were a mechanic...I'd be even MORE comfortable buying a used bike...no matter how clean and "new" a bike looks, there is always that little part of me that feels like I'm rolling the dice a bit on buying used. If I were a mechanic...that would be the way to go, in my opinion.

The Shop

drmarkr
12/30/2013 12:08pm
Any low hour, 2007 and up CRF450 is competitive. More than competitive. Good suspension and fresh rubber and you're set.

Now....about your "budget"? How much do you expect to spend on your trek to LL's? I spent ~$15k for total expenses when I went in '07. That was based in AZ, and I doubt your costs will be much different. This included fuel, entries, fee's, etc.

It ain't cheap....
drmarkr
12/30/2013 12:10pm
Almost forgot.....since we're talking budget racing here.....hopefully you have health insurance.
mx757
12/30/2013 12:14pm
If you already have a killer suspension package, a strong motor, and more importantly, a bike that works well for you that youre comfortable with, id say stick with it. Really the one big advancement from your bike to the new bikes is the EFI. Horsepower and handling hasn't increased a whole lot, but the EFI has helped a bit.
chuckie108
12/30/2013 12:21pm
TNL830 wrote:
If it's paid for and your running good on it keep it fresh and run it. Nothing wrong with that bike, a nice set of graphics...
If it's paid for and your running good on it keep it fresh and run it. Nothing wrong with that bike, a nice set of graphics, maybe cyrca stadium plate to make it look cleaner. If your trying to make LL save the money on getting that bike more dialed. Sounds like it's set up good now with a hamp motor and RG3 suspension. It's not the bike it's the rider.
I totally agree- it is for sure the rider. But, I gotta think bikes have progressed in the last 10 years. And considering the level at LL's, that would have to be a difference maker. Maybe not a huge one, but enough to justify the $2500(factoring in selling my current ride) I'd probably be out to get something newer?
12/30/2013 12:21pm
I used to race on a really tight budget and found the older bikes to be just as competitive as the newer stuff and could generally put up a good fight even when I was motocrossing old enduro bikes in stock trim. Having said that my finances changed earlier this year and I actually bought a really low hour 2013 sxf250 in late September, hated it and then sold it in October so the new bikes definitely are not all they're cracked up to be.

If I were you I'd stick with what you have now, if that's what you're comfortable with then stick with it, maybe spend a little on setting up your suspension and refreshing a few things and that's it.
chuckie108
12/30/2013 12:37pm
drmarkr wrote:
Any low hour, 2007 and up CRF450 is competitive. More than competitive. Good suspension and fresh rubber and you're set. Now....about your "budget"? How much do...
Any low hour, 2007 and up CRF450 is competitive. More than competitive. Good suspension and fresh rubber and you're set.

Now....about your "budget"? How much do you expect to spend on your trek to LL's? I spent ~$15k for total expenses when I went in '07. That was based in AZ, and I doubt your costs will be much different. This included fuel, entries, fee's, etc.

It ain't cheap....
Woh!!! 15K?! I'm gonna have to do it cheaper than that! I figured $2000 in gas to get there and back- how much is the camping and entry!?

I do have medical insurance. If I didn't, with that kind of mindset, I would probably be at the dealer buying a bike at 20% APR interest already right?. ;-)
mark_swart
12/30/2013 12:43pm
I'm in a similar boat to you -- last week I picked up a clean 06 CRF 450 for 2100. Needs new tires, some little odds and ends and I'm putting a piston in for peace of mind. Look for a low-hour garage queen kept by a non-racer or one with documented maintenance.

After one ride I know the 06 is more than competitive against a previous 09 EFI RMZ that I owned a few years back. I'm pretty sure it would smoke it off the start. I liked the snap of EFI but for outdoor motocross I don't think anyone my speed (+30 Cool is at a real disadvantage without it on an outdoor track.

So I also second the Honda 06-08 choice for a number of reasons, here's what I came to with my decisionmaking process a few weeks ago:

- Maintenance -- Hondas have less parts to replace in the top end. And I personally believe that long term the little things on Hondas last better (like bolts stripping out).
- Weight -- 229 lbs for the 06-08 CRF 450s I believe... lighter than new.
- Horsepower -- Oh yeah, more horsepower than a new one as well.
- 06 through 08 had harder valve seats than 05 and before for better wear
- Everyone has different opinions of their opinion, but MXA is always quick to point out that an 08 would have won the 09 shootout (which the 09 lost by a mile). It sounds like the '13 and newer are better, but they are out of your price range.
- I think an 08 would be a real score since it had HPSD and the gear-sensitive ignition, but none popped up in my price range.

I looked at other brands in those years/price range, but (other than Yamaha) most of them were in their first generation of development, four-speed transmissions, heavy, etc. I hated the handling on my 07 Yamaha (front end push) so that was a non-starter.
I've never ridden an 03 CRF but from what I've read they made significant progress with the handling when the frame was redesigned in 05, then they canted the engine forward a little in 06 for better handling.

So with the Honda, pay to get those forks revalved, make sure the top end and valves are in spec, and race the thing.

Best of luck!!
mark_swart
12/30/2013 12:49pm
Here's another thought since you are a mechanic....drop your 03 motor and forks (and maybe shock) into an 05 frame so you can get the better geometry?

Bet you could ebay the frame/swingarm/tank/plastic pretty cheap and most everything else would bolt on from your old bike.

You should ride one of the newer ones to see if the handling is enough of a difference to make the effort. The motors were almost the same though.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
12/30/2013 1:00pm
drmarkr wrote:
Any low hour, 2007 and up CRF450 is competitive. More than competitive. Good suspension and fresh rubber and you're set. Now....about your "budget"? How much do...

It ain't cheap....
chuckie108 wrote:
Woh!!! 15K?! I'm gonna have to do it cheaper than that! I figured $2000 in gas to get there and back- how much is the camping...
Woh!!! 15K?! I'm gonna have to do it cheaper than that! I figured $2000 in gas to get there and back- how much is the camping and entry!?

I do have medical insurance. If I didn't, with that kind of mindset, I would probably be at the dealer buying a bike at 20% APR interest already right?. ;-)
X100! I figured going to LL would be expensive but darn that's too rich for my blood. Kicked it around a couple times, know I would be able to qualify to get there but also know I would be fighting not to get last when there. I know it would be a once in a lifetime experience, but no way I could justify spending that.
drmarkr
12/30/2013 2:25pm
drmarkr wrote:

It ain't cheap....
chuckie108 wrote:
Woh!!! 15K?! I'm gonna have to do it cheaper than that! I figured $2000 in gas to get there and back- how much is the camping...

I'm talking total for the Area, Regional, and the LL's trips....

We drove our RV, so no hotel expenses. That was two classes of entries at each event, then the daily fee's at the ranch, all the various expenses for the entire dealio.

I think the daily fee for the RV was $50? Can someone jump in on this? Then a daily fee for your pit vehicle, and even some other fee's I'm forgetting....like I said, it's not cheap.
me_da_racer
12/30/2013 3:05pm
It is funny to me how people are like, "O' I'll make it. So what will it cost." I have seen SO many fast riders, who I thought where a shoe in for sure, not make it. I really think the money is the easy part.
chuckie108
12/30/2013 3:47pm
It is funny to me how people are like, "O' I'll make it. So what will it cost." I have seen SO many fast riders, who...
It is funny to me how people are like, "O' I'll make it. So what will it cost." I have seen SO many fast riders, who I thought where a shoe in for sure, not make it. I really think the money is the easy part.
Sorry if my post came across cocky- I certainly don't think I'm a shoe in. That being said, last year in my region, there were 6 guys going for 5 spots- so not crazy competitive like 250B or something. I meant this a general question however, because I plan to race this year whether I make it to LL's or not.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far- some really good stuff.

Mark-Swart- thanks for the detailed info! Considering my hinson clutch, RHC cylinder head, balanced crank, etc will also drop into a 06-08 motor, that's sounding more and more like the way to go.

Really surprised no one has chimed in defending their $8500 purchase saying that is for sure the best way for a "racer".
12/30/2013 4:10pm
It is funny to me how people are like, "O' I'll make it. So what will it cost." I have seen SO many fast riders, who...
chuckie108 wrote:
Sorry if my post came across cocky- I certainly don't think I'm a shoe in. That being said, last year in my region, there were 6...
Sorry if my post came across cocky- I certainly don't think I'm a shoe in. That being said, last year in my region, there were 6 guys going for 5 spots- so not crazy competitive like 250B or something. I meant this a general question however, because I plan to race this year whether I make it to LL's or not.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far- some really good stuff.

Mark-Swart- thanks for the detailed info! Considering my hinson clutch, RHC cylinder head, balanced crank, etc will also drop into a 06-08 motor, that's sounding more and more like the way to go.

Really surprised no one has chimed in defending their $8500 purchase saying that is for sure the best way for a "racer".
To be honest a new bike is a lot less hassle and will be better than a ten year old one but no one is going to recommend you getting into debt just for the sake of racing motocross.
drmarkr
12/30/2013 8:52pm
We race on $100 a month for two rides.
Cool.

That won't pay one entry at LL's.....
JOHN CHOATE
12/30/2013 9:04pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2013 9:05pm
New bikes are a necessity for those chasing factory contingency money. Usually, the bike has to be within two years of the latest model to be eligible. Otherwise, I advise folks to buy used within reason.
velocitygear
12/31/2013 12:34am Edited Date/Time 12/31/2013 12:35am
mark_swart wrote:
I'm in a similar boat to you -- last week I picked up a clean 06 CRF 450 for 2100. Needs new tires, some little odds...
I'm in a similar boat to you -- last week I picked up a clean 06 CRF 450 for 2100. Needs new tires, some little odds and ends and I'm putting a piston in for peace of mind. Look for a low-hour garage queen kept by a non-racer or one with documented maintenance.

After one ride I know the 06 is more than competitive against a previous 09 EFI RMZ that I owned a few years back. I'm pretty sure it would smoke it off the start. I liked the snap of EFI but for outdoor motocross I don't think anyone my speed (+30 Cool is at a real disadvantage without it on an outdoor track.

So I also second the Honda 06-08 choice for a number of reasons, here's what I came to with my decisionmaking process a few weeks ago:

- Maintenance -- Hondas have less parts to replace in the top end. And I personally believe that long term the little things on Hondas last better (like bolts stripping out).
- Weight -- 229 lbs for the 06-08 CRF 450s I believe... lighter than new.
- Horsepower -- Oh yeah, more horsepower than a new one as well.
- 06 through 08 had harder valve seats than 05 and before for better wear
- Everyone has different opinions of their opinion, but MXA is always quick to point out that an 08 would have won the 09 shootout (which the 09 lost by a mile). It sounds like the '13 and newer are better, but they are out of your price range.
- I think an 08 would be a real score since it had HPSD and the gear-sensitive ignition, but none popped up in my price range.

I looked at other brands in those years/price range, but (other than Yamaha) most of them were in their first generation of development, four-speed transmissions, heavy, etc. I hated the handling on my 07 Yamaha (front end push) so that was a non-starter.
I've never ridden an 03 CRF but from what I've read they made significant progress with the handling when the frame was redesigned in 05, then they canted the engine forward a little in 06 for better handling.

So with the Honda, pay to get those forks revalved, make sure the top end and valves are in spec, and race the thing.

Best of luck!!
I'll second the 06'-08' models. Not looking to buy anything else, anytime soon. Also in the older age bracket at 38 and can very well hold my own against any machine and age group. In my opinion, 06' and up on most motocross bikes will make any solid rider competitive. EFI, air forks and BNG are hardly a requirement...
Jimfunn
12/31/2013 6:52am
mx757 wrote:
If you already have a killer suspension package, a strong motor, and more importantly, a bike that works well for you that youre comfortable with, id...
If you already have a killer suspension package, a strong motor, and more importantly, a bike that works well for you that youre comfortable with, id say stick with it. Really the one big advancement from your bike to the new bikes is the EFI. Horsepower and handling hasn't increased a whole lot, but the EFI has helped a bit.
I have a 2003 CRF 450 and a 2013 CRF 450.

The difference is HUGE in those 10 years, right from the moment you lift it off the stand. The '13 is slower but I would much rather the power all day long than the 03 bike. Its smooth, forgiving but still plenty there for any situation. It turns like a 250f, suspension is leaps and bound better and its just much more nimble.

If you had '70/'08 CRf I would say maybe not to bother but the 03 bike is not that great.

I also agree with the 10-13 YZF450 comment, I rode a 13 yam and it is a great bike. Don't be put off by the bad press, suspension and motor are awesome.
Huckster
12/31/2013 7:27am
didnt a kid just get a top 10 in one of, if not the fastest classes at LL on a 27yr old bike? Ride what you own. Being comfortable on it is far more important than what year it was made. Have fun and good luck
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
12/31/2013 9:42am
Consider if Loretta's is worth the money. Honestly I think kids and teens get more out of LL and it definitely not a low budget race IMO. I would recommend saving some money if you get injured while racing to try to even see if you can qualify first as a goal. Then use money to freshen your current bike toward end of season if it looks like it's possible option. I agree on old vs new 450. With all you mods, not a ton of difference except maybe reliability. I still race with people getting top 3 on 2003-2006 machines.
Socket946
12/31/2013 10:25am
TNL830 wrote:
If it's paid for and your running good on it keep it fresh and run it. Nothing wrong with that bike, a nice set of graphics...
I agree with this.

I recently went over the thoughts to buy a 2nd bike..I want a 2 stroke as a 2nd bike.

I thought about it, and made the choice to make my current 15 hour old bike super fresh, so I ordered all the mods I wanted for it, and decided to keep it long term for now on.

I would take that $$ and make the '03 super fresh.
chuck317
12/31/2013 10:57am
We race on $100 a month for two rides.
I used to spend that just to get in the gate and two classes ten years ago.i find that hard to believe
lumpy790
12/31/2013 11:03am
Everyone should try for Lorettas....if you don't you don't know what you are missing. It is also a great vacation destination for the week of racing.

If you are trying for LL's make sure you ride the 35+ and try for 40+

40+ is a brutal class that reads like a 90's pro national.

John Choate above has made the 40+ class for a bunch of years......he can speak from experience.

As for a bike..... any 07 and up 450 will be a good bike.

While watching Craigslist for a local 2006-2008 CRF450R I picked up my 08 YZ450F basket case cheap and rebuilt with a new crank, cylinder and freshened up the head.

Ashleymx
12/31/2013 11:17am
The great thing about this era is that 10 year old bikes can still be perfectly competitive! When I was a kid I always had 2 or 3 year old bikes in the 80s and 90s that honestly were such a massive disadvantage compared to my friends new bikes. Things were changing rapidly back then with suspension,disc brakes etc besides the fact they had worn out clutches and would seize way to often lol.

I'm bikeless right now and I can see myself finding a low hour, basically a bike that's been stored for years kinda thing. Fresh oil in the suspension, a little tidy up and off I'd go. I'd love to have EFI just because I hate wasting my first few rides jetting but its a small trade off really. Just don't buy junk because you will either have to slug it out on a rattly bike all season or literally spend as much as buying a new bike just to have it fresh again. A complete bike bought as parts is some crazy high number $20 000 - $30 000?? Literally every single part of a 10 year old bike can wear out so gotta start with something nice.
Grizz
12/31/2013 11:26am
Is there anybody NOT racing on a budget!?

I agree with some people above, a low hour older bike is fine!

However, my dad makes out really well with buying new bikes and selling them before they get too old. Of course you would have to have the money in the beginning for a new bike.

Post a reply to: Racing on a budget- your opinion?

The Latest