Racing and riding with glasses on...

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
7/24/2015 10:55am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 11:00am
Wear contacts or get goggles with the glasses in the lense. Place called pro-vue it's in the back of most mx magazines.
Gary105
7/24/2015 11:08am
To tell you the truth i did not realize they made prescription goggles!!! I just goggled it and they look like they will do the trick. Wonder if there is anyone on here that has used them and how they like them.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
7/24/2015 11:10am
Try squinting
tiddlermx23
7/24/2015 11:12am
I've been riding with my glasses for the last two years or so with just about any standard goggle and it's really helped me to see more oncoming rocks and things on the trail a little better and aside from fogging up very quickly when I come to a stop, they haven't given me too many problems.

The Shop

artc
7/24/2015 11:12am
I got the inserts that go in the goggles. I can move them from goggle to goggle.
It is way better the trying glasses and goggles. Too much fogging!
I got the inserts made at SPORTRX
jndmx
7/24/2015 11:37am
artc wrote:
I got the inserts that go in the goggles. I can move them from goggle to goggle. It is way better the trying glasses and goggles...
I got the inserts that go in the goggles. I can move them from goggle to goggle.
Yep that is the same company I bought them from for my son when he was racing.
Great product and great company to order from.
The Rock
7/24/2015 2:28pm
artc wrote:
I got the inserts that go in the goggles. I can move them from goggle to goggle. It is way better the trying glasses and goggles...
I just went to their site but after 3 minutes looking for inserts gave up. When you have a moment I would appreciate a link. I am so past due getting new inserts it is not funny. Thank you.
7/24/2015 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 2:58pm
If your helmet is rocking forward and back enough it upset your glasses your helmet may not be fitting correctly. I wear glasses under normal goggles, they barely move on hard cases and over jumps. The only time they are painful is when the goggles get push the glasses against the bridge of my nose.
crf250pilot
7/24/2015 3:00pm
I ride with contacts until they fall out then I go faster because I can't see the track hazards and just don't give a fuck at that point.
gt80rider
7/24/2015 3:02pm
I have worn glasses under otg goggles for decades with no issues
The Rock
7/24/2015 3:02pm
artc wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z-d8Sc8F1AE In the video it talks about them.
Thanks!

For the glasses wearers this is a roll of the dice on the safety side. I have had two friends over the years that received cuts not from the glass but from their eye frames when they've had gnarly get offs.
JQ
7/24/2015 3:07pm
The only problem with riding with glasses is the risk of injury if you crash. I just crashed and snapped my glasses in half. Only got a scratch above my eye but got me thinking. Would sick to gouge your eye out...
Tim507
7/24/2015 4:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2015 4:01pm
I tried Squinting - then I tried glasses in fatty goggles - then tried Pro-Vue -then realized that my seeing problem originated as a yute (damn my dad told me not to do that!!)

Tired of being a 4-eyed muscle yanker I got LASIK Damn problem resolvedWoohoo

Now I have reading glasses everywhere except when I need them......damn childhood issues!!!
ajk423
7/24/2015 4:09pm
Pro-vue, I'm pretty sure they're 100% goggles with your prescription lenses.
shanes
7/24/2015 5:29pm
got to the point where i had to wear glasses to ride , so i went and got laser to fix them best 2 k i have ever spent can see perfectly now
logan_140
7/24/2015 6:39pm
Contacts for me I wear dailies
yak651
Fantasy
168th
7/24/2015 7:07pm
yeah contacts for me also. was going to get lasik but wussed out, now too old and what most likely need readers even with the surgery...
7/24/2015 7:32pm
Just got some Nike glasses that work great under my Thor goggles with a Bell helmet.
wwoberg
7/24/2015 8:28pm
I have worn Oakley L's for years. Couple of weekends ago I found a brand new paid of O's my son had squirrelled away for him. Tried them and worked.

Like someone else said, if your glasses are moving around your helmet is not the right size.
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
7/25/2015 7:07am
artc wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z-d8Sc8F1AE In the video it talks about them.
The Rock wrote:
Thanks! For the glasses wearers this is a roll of the dice on the safety side. I have had two friends over the years that received...
Thanks!

For the glasses wearers this is a roll of the dice on the safety side. I have had two friends over the years that received cuts not from the glass but from their eye frames when they've had gnarly get offs.
I wasn't able to find just stand alone inserts, It appears you have to order the goggles and the inserts at the same time.

h&m_cycle
7/25/2015 7:30am
Tim507 wrote:
I tried Squinting - then I tried glasses in fatty goggles - then tried Pro-Vue -then realized that my seeing problem originated as a yute (damn...
I tried Squinting - then I tried glasses in fatty goggles - then tried Pro-Vue -then realized that my seeing problem originated as a yute (damn my dad told me not to do that!!)

Tired of being a 4-eyed muscle yanker I got LASIK Damn problem resolvedWoohoo

Now I have reading glasses everywhere except when I need them......damn childhood issues!!!
I have a friend with driving at night problems, that she was warned could develop years after LASIK... Seeing
Halos around on coming headlights & street lights that resulted about 7 years after the surgery... Hope you have no
future problems...

I am 55 years old & have wore contacts to race starting in 1975... Never had a Contact come out... My current ones
never seem to dry out in my eyes are not the easiest things to remove let alone, fall out... To hell with wear
glasses while trying to go fast...
motomike894
8/4/2015 4:34am
I finally tried contacts for real after wearing glasses for 26 years tried them in past and hated them right away.

Took 5 different brands and kinda to try but I found air optix day and night work awesome for me you can leave them in for 30 days if want too I wear them till they feel super dry or getting blurry usually after a dusty day riding I'll take them out a night out back in next morning leave them in for weeks at time.

I can see so much better overall night races is insane how much better see plus no glasses fogging up or sweat on them wish I'd figured these out years ago lol.
jeffro503
8/4/2015 6:49am
Hey guys , I was thinking of making a thread about this , but since this one popped up I though maybe I'd share some info here. I received my RX Goggles about 2 weeks ago , and I can tell you , for a guy that " has too " wear glasses the RX goggles were the best damn investment I've made in quite some time.

I had to get a new prescription for my glasses about a month ago , my old ones were just to weak for me any more. So I got my new glasses but I wasn't going to wear them until I received my RX goggles. Reason being that it would of really been a huge difference between the prescriptions. Started wearing my new glasses on a Friday night and rode Saturday morning with my RX goggle , huge mistake! My eyes hadn't adjusted and that was one really sketchy riding day! Like looking through a fish bowl!!

The next weekend , and after my eyes adjusted , the RX goggles were simply awesome! I haven't seen this good through a set of goggles in like 10yrs!

If you're interested , contact Drew over at http://rxgoggles.com . The dude is a total moto head and be ready for some long , in depth conversations!
jeffro503
8/4/2015 6:51am
I finally tried contacts for real after wearing glasses for 26 years tried them in past and hated them right away. Took 5 different brands and...
I finally tried contacts for real after wearing glasses for 26 years tried them in past and hated them right away.

Took 5 different brands and kinda to try but I found air optix day and night work awesome for me you can leave them in for 30 days if want too I wear them till they feel super dry or getting blurry usually after a dusty day riding I'll take them out a night out back in next morning leave them in for weeks at time.

I can see so much better overall night races is insane how much better see plus no glasses fogging up or sweat on them wish I'd figured these out years ago lol.
Mike , I tried 5 different brands as well and couldn't get contacts to work. Maybe I should give these a try.
Micahdogg
8/4/2015 7:18am
At 37 years old, my vision has been not great for a while. I can function daily with no glasses, but it is hard to read street signs so I've been driving with them for a while. Naturally you can imagine objects aren't very crisp when trail riding. I figure your vision is usually compromised anyway due to dirt/mud on your goggles, looking through a strip of tear offs or getting fogged up or just having scratched up lenses. So I've made it a point to keep my lenses in perfection condition, spotless and same with my tear offs. If my goggles are in good shape I can get by, but still I wish I had that really crisp vision like when my glasses are on.

I'm not doing lasik because the 5 people I know who did it have all had some kind of "vision is great........but," results (dry eyes, seeing halos, etc...) so I'm not interested in dealing with that every day just for the few times I ride. I tried riding with glasses, but it's a pain in the butt. Once I get sweaty, the glasses move around, plus they fog up really quickly. I'm totally going to try these inserts though......this is probably going to be the perfect solution for me.
PFitzG38
8/5/2015 7:07am
I feel your pain. My experience with Pro-Vue was the same one your having now, granted this was 20 years ago; the helmet moves the goggles. I think with a helmet that doesn't move on your head, which a proper fitting helmet shouldn't - they would work. I'm thinking of trying them again. Goggles that are made for glasses or smaller glasses could help. I think you just need a proper fitting helmet. I wear contact but that's not a perfect solution either. One thing I can say is your laps times will drop when you can see better. Good Luck
gt80rider
8/5/2015 8:16am
gt80rider wrote:
I have worn glasses under otg goggles for decades with no issues
Actually, after reading some of the replies, I did have an issue one time.

I was out getting in some practice on a Saturday afternoon and went over the bars face first. I was wearing some wire rim glasses at the time. I got up and felt some sort of liquid pouring down my face. I stuck a hand up the face piece of my helmet to see what it was and of course it was blood, and lots of it. I rode back to my truck and pulled my helmet off to find that my glasses had basically skinned my nose when my helmet got shoved down when I went over the bars. It looked like somebody used a pair of pliers to grab the skin at the top of my nose, and yanked it down to the bottom. Anyways, I grab the skin and pull it back up to the top of my nose, put a napkin over it, then use electrical tape to hold the napkin on, then off to the ER i went. Two hours later they sewed the skin back on and life was good. Sorta. That night was my ten year high school reunion, and I showed up looking like my nose/face had just gone 5 rounds with Mike Tyson. Good times I tell ya.

Post a reply to: Racing and riding with glasses on...

The Latest