Racerx Racerhead #50

Powermoves
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:17pm
http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/16/racerhead-50

I love Racerhead. Read it every week and it is very insightful on what is going on in the dirt bike world. However; this week two different writers (matthes and ping) wasted my time by writing about how people should stay off the message boards because they aren't professionals and shouldn't comment on things. They were referring to people speculating on Trey Canard's crash. Are they serious? It's almost so ridiculous I can't tell if it's a joke. What are message boards for then? He wants people to be more considerate? Really? Grow a pair and harden up. If a professional athlete actually cares what is written on a message board he has bigger problems. I don't know if they were referring explicitly to vital but I do know it does seem like they pull at least a little bit of content from here. Obscure stories and videos I see here are then a week later on racing sites. Maybe next week they should write a long thank you letter to the message board members for talking about the sport and keeping interest high and finding good content for them.

Am I wrong?
|
Brent
12/19/2011 4:52pm
Remember , Pingree and Matthes get paid by Coombs to write about something, and it's the off-season with almost nothing going on. They need to hang on to their part time jobs after all and the website needs content.

What better way to get web hits then to generate a tired bullshit story about fans posting shit on a message board?

The whole thing is so juvenile its funny, here you have two grown men whining about what some guy says on the internet about a motocross racer that 95 percent of the world has never heard of?

Those guys need some perspective.
burnside
12/19/2011 5:08pm
Another thing, on this topic but not necessarily on CanardGate... I hate this theory that insiders think 'normal folk' can't theorise or be right about athletes in situations like this. I know fuck all about football, but as a HUMAN, I can tell when a guy has bottled it, crushed under pressure and bodged a penalty etc. Same with tennis or any sport really, its human nature. You don't need to be able to scrub a triple or work at a magazine to relate to that. So I don't think its off limits for forum nibblers to throw in their two cents. Often I expect some of it is closer to the truth than the odd industry snob would like to admit. I'm sure some of it is way off base, but GuyB & co wouldn't have a job if us mortals didn't nerd out on this stuff. I expect a lot of this is off the back of that 'opinion piece' in the Huffington Post or what ever paper that was.
12/19/2011 5:31pm
I agree. Telling fans they have no business speculating about why he is crashing so much is just total BS.
The guy is a top star in the sport- he crashed and broke his leg, came back, crashed and broke it again, came back, crashed on a video, then crashed and broke his collarbone. Of course people are going to speculate. I have all the respect in the world for Trey Canard, but its called motocross news.

The MX media have a bizarre relationship with the fans. Treating the entirety of mx fans like outsiders who should keep their mouths shut about major events in the sport is just ridiculous.

The Shop

Sherwood
12/19/2011 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2011 5:48pm
Imagine if Pro racers where football players... They'd hang themselves.
Hut
12/19/2011 5:47pm
To a certain extent Mathes advice to Trey is valid. If he has thin skin and can't take the bad with the good then he should probably just stay off message boards for his own good. And Trey is one of the most liked riders out there.
Although I do seem to remember one of them big insider types talking shit on inter-webs about a current regional SX Lites champ. hmm
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
12/19/2011 6:10pm
Pulp has a forum as well, right? Smile

Forums have their place. I think people should be able to comment and critique, but I also think they should be able to do it in a reasonable and respectful way, whether to the participants, or each other. Those who can't play well with others sometimes get shown the door, and there are forums for people who want to go all hog-wild.

A lot of times people seem to want to question everything, and a certain percentage of that is just human nature. If I have an answer, I'll comment. If I don't, I won't...unless I think someone's going down a wrong path with bad info. But I have seen a lot of speculation get wildly out of control. Using a common sense filter on some of the stuff you post and see here is a good plan.
Hando
12/19/2011 6:25pm
Matthes probably voted for Obama..if he's a citizen that is Wink
TeamGreen
12/19/2011 6:46pm
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Mstock
12/19/2011 6:52pm
Matthes/PulpMX has a PRO MX ONLY info/message board going live Jan 1. It won't suck.
motoplook
12/19/2011 7:38pm
Powermoves wrote:
[url=http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/16/racerhead-50]http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/16/racerhead-50[/url] I love Racerhead. Read it every week and it is very insightful on what is going on in the dirt bike world. However; this week...

I love Racerhead. Read it every week and it is very insightful on what is going on in the dirt bike world. However; this week two different writers (matthes and ping) wasted my time by writing about how people should stay off the message boards because they aren't professionals and shouldn't comment on things. They were referring to people speculating on Trey Canard's crash. Are they serious? It's almost so ridiculous I can't tell if it's a joke. What are message boards for then? He wants people to be more considerate? Really? Grow a pair and harden up. If a professional athlete actually cares what is written on a message board he has bigger problems. I don't know if they were referring explicitly to vital but I do know it does seem like they pull at least a little bit of content from here. Obscure stories and videos I see here are then a week later on racing sites. Maybe next week they should write a long thank you letter to the message board members for talking about the sport and keeping interest high and finding good content for them.

Am I wrong?
totally agree, it is so ridiculous, it is almost not funny. This is what forums are for, bench-racings between fans of the sports, from all corners of the world and politics. Especially funny for Matthes who really grew in popularity thanks to forums like this one.

i think they reacted to forums the way some forum posters go at times, unbalanced. Some people on here are dumb sometimes, questioning everything, seeing conspiracies everywhere. Same shit.
WORCSRacer
12/19/2011 8:09pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2011 6:16am
Powermoves wrote:
[url=http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/16/racerhead-50]http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/12/16/racerhead-50[/url] I love Racerhead. Read it every week and it is very insightful on what is going on in the dirt bike world. However; this week...

Am I wrong?
motoplook wrote:
totally agree, it is so ridiculous, it is almost not funny. This is what forums are for, bench-racings between fans of the sports, from all corners...
totally agree, it is so ridiculous, it is almost not funny. This is what forums are for, bench-racings between fans of the sports, from all corners of the world and politics. Especially funny for Matthes who really grew in popularity thanks to forums like this one.

i think they reacted to forums the way some forum posters go at times, unbalanced. Some people on here are dumb sometimes, questioning everything, seeing conspiracies everywhere. Same shit.
How dare the people who actually pay the bills for this sport to have the audacity to form opinions and post comments. Just STFU and pay your subscription, buy your ticket and buy the stuff we endorse (this year anyway). When we want your opinion we will give it to you.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
12/19/2011 8:18pm
Who is this 'CRFANFORLIFE' that they speak of?
jndmx
12/19/2011 8:27pm
Matthes and Ping each wrote about 4 sentences about that subject.

Not sure why some of you guys are acting like it was a huge rant......the OP wrote 3 times as much on the subject.
LaughingLaughing
Powermoves
12/20/2011 5:02am
jndmx wrote:
Matthes and Ping each wrote about 4 sentences about that subject. Not sure why some of you guys are acting like it was a huge rant......the...

Not sure why some of you guys are acting like it was a huge rant......the OP wrote 3 times as much on the subject.
LaughingLaughing
It's not the amount they wrote there big guy. It's the fact that they wrote it. They implied I shouldn't be able to write what I want on the message boards because I'm not an expert. You must be a little dense.
Sully
12/20/2011 5:33am
jndmx wrote:
Matthes and Ping each wrote about 4 sentences about that subject. Not sure why some of you guys are acting like it was a huge rant......the...

LaughingLaughing
Powermoves wrote:
It's not the amount they wrote there big guy. It's the fact that they wrote it. They implied I shouldn't be able to write what I...
It's not the amount they wrote there big guy. It's the fact that they wrote it. They implied I shouldn't be able to write what I want on the message boards because I'm not an expert. You must be a little dense.
Is what they wrote going to make you, or anyone else here, stop posting on message boards? If the answer is no, then what does it matter? Matthes and Ping can say whatever they want, but until either of them runs the entire Internet, what they wrote is nothing more than their opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
dirtnapper
12/20/2011 5:41am
GuyB wrote:
Pulp has a forum as well, right? :) Forums have their place. I think people should be able to comment and critique, but I also think...
Pulp has a forum as well, right? Smile

Forums have their place. I think people should be able to comment and critique, but I also think they should be able to do it in a reasonable and respectful way, whether to the participants, or each other. Those who can't play well with others sometimes get shown the door, and there are forums for people who want to go all hog-wild.

A lot of times people seem to want to question everything, and a certain percentage of that is just human nature. If I have an answer, I'll comment. If I don't, I won't...unless I think someone's going down a wrong path with bad info. But I have seen a lot of speculation get wildly out of control. Using a common sense filter on some of the stuff you post and see here is a good plan.
Ahaha!!

Am I the only one that got the "hog wild" comment?!? Laughing

Well played, GuyB, well played!
Powermoves
12/20/2011 6:09am Edited Date/Time 12/20/2011 7:00am
jndmx wrote:

LaughingLaughing
Powermoves wrote:
It's not the amount they wrote there big guy. It's the fact that they wrote it. They implied I shouldn't be able to write what I...
Sully wrote:
Is what they wrote going to make you, or anyone else here, stop posting on message boards? If the answer is no, then what does it...
Is what they wrote going to make you, or anyone else here, stop posting on message boards? If the answer is no, then what does it matter? Matthes and Ping can say whatever they want, but until either of them runs the entire Internet, what they wrote is nothing more than their opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Well if you take that mentality about everything then I guess everything that is said to me except something that is a law or is coming from a cop I should just disregard?

I know they can write what they want. In fact next week they can write about how "Powermoves" instead of "CRFANFORLIFE" shouldn't judge what they write in racerhead. I'm just saying when they write things like that it is a bit off putting to act like you are above anyone that isn't a professional or "in the biz."
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
12/20/2011 6:52am
Yeah, it sounded like Ping went off more than Matthes. They probably get around and talk to each other and get all worked up over something, who knows.
Rupert X
12/20/2011 7:02am
My opinion on the whole message board thingey - If you sign your name, you are sharing your feelings, if you're using a

pseudonym, you are merely creating art and graffiti.

In other words, all our opinions are as worthy as anyone else's.

If you choose not to be recognized, that is fine, too....
TX24
12/20/2011 7:10am
I wonder how many NFL experts have ever tackled someone or been tackled.
Easy to see more MX media is moving online. A little drama ups the hits and sells the ads. Pays the media people.
Myself, I try to avoid drama.
moto282
12/20/2011 7:34am
Hut wrote:
To a certain extent Mathes advice to Trey is valid. If he has thin skin and can't take the bad with the good then he should...
To a certain extent Mathes advice to Trey is valid. If he has thin skin and can't take the bad with the good then he should probably just stay off message boards for his own good. And Trey is one of the most liked riders out there.
Although I do seem to remember one of them big insider types talking shit on inter-webs about a current regional SX Lites champ. hmm
I agree. I think you'd have to have thick skin to be a pro rider and read some of the stuff written on the message boards. It would be hard to read something completely untrue and not want to correct it. I get what they mean about Trey being a professional and he didn't get to where he's at without knowing what he's doing. But on the other hand we're fans and that's what we do... speculate and talk about stuff happening in MX. It's a message board, and by definition it's full of BS sprinkled with brief moments of truth.
robkinuk
12/20/2011 8:23am
Rupert X wrote:
My opinion on the whole message board thingey - If you sign your name, you are sharing your feelings, if you're using a pseudonym, you are...
My opinion on the whole message board thingey - If you sign your name, you are sharing your feelings, if you're using a

pseudonym, you are merely creating art and graffiti.

In other words, all our opinions are as worthy as anyone else's.

If you choose not to be recognized, that is fine, too....
Well said Rup!
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
12/20/2011 8:34am
Come on you whimps. Get your panties out of a wad. You all know there are a fair share of absolute ridiculous comments, opinions and ideas on nearly every topic. Some are even said on purpose as bait by people fishing.

Quite acting like they are talking about "you"!

They are right, this is our place and riders should stay away. Why confuse a good conspiracy theory with fact?
Matthes
12/20/2011 9:17am
Here's what I wrote:

I spoke with Trey Canard this week and he’s definitely a little bummed about being hurt, but it seems that he’s more upset about the internet stuff that floats around there talking about what he was doing when he was hurt, what he can do to stop being hurt, and how people should think more before they hit that “submit” on that internet post. I then gave him the same advice I give to all the riders when it comes to the internet: Just stay off the message boards. As nice as it is to read great things about yourself, it’s more crushing to hear “CRFANFORLIFE” talk about how you’re a horrible person and should quit (or worse)

I didn't say fans should stop posting, speculating and all that. It's just fact that some posters are completely out of their minds with their thoughts and therefore, if you're a rider, you're better off staying off them. Because for every guy that says something positive or has an intelligent conversation about something, there's five guys who are making no sense. You're never going to see a post where someone doesn't take shots at whomever/whatever the subject is so better to just stay off the boards. We had a good conversation with Tedesco about this on the Pulpmx Show last night, He never goes on them, doesn't want to get mad and that's prob the best way.

As far as the poster that says these boards are why i grew in popularity- I definitely acknowledge that fact. The fans of the sport that want/need more information on the sport they love has enabled me to make a living writing about dirt bike races. I'm grateful for the fans of the sport. I check this place out every day to see what's up, but I wouldn't if I was a rider!
40Plus_922mx
12/20/2011 9:22am
That's funny.
The very people who spend money every year on tickets, subscriptions, parts, bikes, gear etc, also are the ones who listen to his podcast and read the very article where he throws us all under the bus? Now that's funny. I have a great idea! How about another podcast where they rank all of the sponsors too!. Now that would be awesome!. LoLoLoL.
peelout
12/20/2011 9:44am
i must have missed the thread that anyone was bashing on Canard. i've seen a lot of "bash on so and so" threads, but never one for Canard. the dude is cool as it gets.
Powermoves
12/20/2011 9:48am
peelout wrote:
i must have missed the thread that anyone was bashing on Canard. i've seen a lot of "bash on so and so" threads, but never one...
i must have missed the thread that anyone was bashing on Canard. i've seen a lot of "bash on so and so" threads, but never one for Canard. the dude is cool as it gets.
I remember seeing two get better Trey threads...
yz763
12/20/2011 11:57am
I personally get more worn out with Matthes asking every current and former Yamaha rider what they think of the bike. Dude, give it a rest! It almost seems like you have some hidden agenda with Yamaha.
mxb2
12/20/2011 12:22pm
I agree, if you do not have thick skin, stay off the internet! High profile people will be criticized more than the average 9-5 person. You cannot have it both ways, gotta take the good with the bad.

Post a reply to: Racerx Racerhead #50

The Latest