Racer-X - High-School MX

mxb2
11/22/2010 11:11am
Were you riding a Hodaka dirt squirt! LOL
mxnick
11/22/2010 11:33am
Now that is some praise from people in very high places...

Thanks Rupe!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/22/2010 12:16pm
I had a blast doing high school motocross back in the day.

I especially liked that we had motocross P.E. at the same time our football team was doing their practices. They had the military look going on. Full buzz cuts and precision drills. We had long hair, boxers hanging out from our gym shorts, and were using exercises from Rolf Tibblin's book.

I'm pretty sure it drove our football coaches crazy. Smile
Rupert X
11/22/2010 1:08pm
GuyB wrote:
I had a blast doing high school motocross back in the day. I especially liked that we had motocross P.E. at the same time our football...
I had a blast doing high school motocross back in the day.

I especially liked that we had motocross P.E. at the same time our football team was doing their practices. They had the military look going on. Full buzz cuts and precision drills. We had long hair, boxers hanging out from our gym shorts, and were using exercises from Rolf Tibblin's book.

I'm pretty sure it drove our football coaches crazy. Smile

What happens if you screw off in class - do you hafta do 35 minute moto's after

school ?

Uuuh - did you guys have cheerleaders ? - He inquired with a Beavis-level of creepiness

The Shop

Rupert X
11/22/2010 1:27pm
You guys had motocross in high school?

Not me - I went to hs in Massachusetts - plus I;m way younger than those dudes.

GuyB and some of the ol' pharts had high-school motocross - article in latest

Racer-X.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
11/22/2010 1:33pm
socal was loaded with high school motocross teams. letterman's jackets, the whole deal. we raced at ocir, then friday nights at corona raceway and later saturday mornings at saddleback park. our school even gave permission to build a full on track in an empty field next to the school and have full weekend of races.... no way will that ever happen again these days, unfortunately.... this pic was taken for the year book haha...fak, i'm old

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
11/22/2010 1:36pm
Couldn't do that now a days. No one who rides motocross goes to high school anymore. Tongue
Highschool motocross! HA
mxb2
11/22/2010 1:36pm
Got any pics of the MX cheerleaders LOL!
MOTOXSTATION
Fantasy
468th
11/22/2010 1:38pm
I had the same dreams at my Catholic High School...as if it was possible. The Archdiocese of Phila. had plenty of land behind the school and we already had a track, pit and woods. It didn't happen but we sure had a good time ditching the cops as we buzzed across the soccer field and through the convents back into the woods! Ahh, the good old days.
mxb2
11/22/2010 1:41pm
I had the same dreams at my Catholic High School...as if it was possible. The Archdiocese of Phila. had plenty of land behind the school and...
I had the same dreams at my Catholic High School...as if it was possible. The Archdiocese of Phila. had plenty of land behind the school and we already had a track, pit and woods. It didn't happen but we sure had a good time ditching the cops as we buzzed across the soccer field and through the convents back into the woods! Ahh, the good old days.
If you want to re live your youth go to baltimore and ride with the 12 o clock boys LOL!
Bauer
11/22/2010 1:44pm
Yeah, Rup, Nick did a great job of telling the story. John Gallagher called me last night to ask me if I'd seen the story...someone had called him and told him about it but he had not yet seen it. Those were some really good times, for sure!
MOTOXSTATION
Fantasy
468th
11/22/2010 1:45pm
mxb2 wrote:
If you want to re live your youth go to baltimore and ride with the 12 o clock boys LOL!
No thanks, I hear street riding can be dangerous.Wink
smrscott
11/22/2010 2:35pm
Yea we had a Team and raced at Corona in '83. I got my photo in the yearbook for being on the motocross team. We raced all sorts of other schools, Cerritos, Upland and so on. Our school got in late and only did it for a few years
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
11/22/2010 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2010 4:21pm
At our school (North High) we didn't do the letter jacket thing...more of a windbreaker style. Oh, and no cheerleaders.
flap
11/23/2010 6:10am
I managed to do get to do FMX when i went to high school 4 years ago! it was pretty sweet. No team tho, it was only me and my trainer Fred Johansson.

Theres a school over here that still does full on high school MX, but its pretty hard to get into

jenericn951
11/23/2010 8:22am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2010 8:23am
my brother was on the team for palm springs when i was a kid. he is 6 years older than me. we used to go to corona on friday nights for the races there. palm springs high school aslo did a superbowl of motocross on the football field back in the day.

he had a honda 125. i was in the sixth grade. one friday we left palm springs early and went to FMF in harbor city. you would give them your cylinder, head and carb and some money of coarse. in return you get a ported cylinder,rejetted carb,piston,porcupine head and a new FMF pipe. my brother drove from FMF back to corona. me and our friend(who was older than me) put on the FMF parts in the back of the truck as we were going down the 91 back to corona. he broke it in during practice and then blew it up during the races...
Rupert X
11/23/2010 9:17am

" e had a honda 125. i was in the sixth grade. one friday we left palm springs early and went to FMF in harbor city. you would give them your cylinder, head and carb and some money of coarse. in return you get a ported cylinder,rejetted carb,piston,porcupine head and a new FMF pipe. my brother drove from FMF back to corona. me and our friend(who was older than me) put on the FMF parts in the back of the truck as we were going down the 91 back to corona. he broke it in during practice and then blew it up during the races..."

And, that, me buckos, smells more like pure motocross than anything I've ever

had the distinguished pleasure of reading. Salute. ******* LOVE IT.
Cygnus
11/23/2010 9:24am
GuyB wrote:
At our school (North High) we didn't do the letter jacket thing...more of a windbreaker style. Oh, and no cheerleaders.
I heard the wind breaker tied around your waist was the in thing back then.
jenericn951
11/23/2010 1:43pm
Rupert X wrote:
" e had a honda 125. i was in the sixth grade. one friday we left palm springs early and went to FMF in harbor city...

" e had a honda 125. i was in the sixth grade. one friday we left palm springs early and went to FMF in harbor city. you would give them your cylinder, head and carb and some money of coarse. in return you get a ported cylinder,rejetted carb,piston,porcupine head and a new FMF pipe. my brother drove from FMF back to corona. me and our friend(who was older than me) put on the FMF parts in the back of the truck as we were going down the 91 back to corona. he broke it in during practice and then blew it up during the races..."

And, that, me buckos, smells more like pure motocross than anything I've ever

had the distinguished pleasure of reading. Salute. ******* LOVE IT.
thanks rupert x. its was one of my best memories ever. i talked to jody from MXA about doing a story on this subject and he said the info and picks would be to hard to come by. de anza cycle park was my brother and friend"s local hang out. i remember brian myerscough on a yz 80 putting it to everyone in the 125 class. my brother would take me all of the time just for the money. he would tell my mom that i was going at that i needed 30 bucks. then he would us the money to pay for gas and entrance fee's.
Rupert X
11/23/2010 1:48pm

* The idea that they would rebuild the bike while traveling in the pick-up with the FMF

shtuff - that's actually the kind of schnizzle that reminds us what a wild, wonderful,

ridiculously sickosaurus hobby / club / habit - we have. Cheers my brother.
goonslurkin316
Fantasy
1161st
11/23/2010 2:47pm
It's funny that I saw this thread today, because today at my high school two mentionings of motocross were displayed in front of the entire school which was very bizarre. First, Ashley Fiolek was on this national news show called Channel one. It was a story about her and a girl from Iran coming over here to race. On our school news after that, our vice principal said she would be showing a "motocross" movie during our break/reward time(for a fundraiser) at the end of school.The movie was kind of cheesy with all different types of motorcycle riding, but all publicity is good publicity. It was just really weird, but cool at the same time. Shows that our sport is growing forsure. It also kind of took my mind off the fact that I couldn't miss school to go to Mini o's.
verge
11/28/2010 9:20pm
I was on a MX race team in 1974 at Kennedy High School in Granada Hills,Ca. We got out of school at noon on Fridays and went to Indian Dunes to race against other schools from the Valley. Joe & Rick Kehoe (Eric's big brothers) were the faster experts on our team. It was a big deal back then with huge turn outs.

Post a reply to: Racer-X - High-School MX

The Latest